Start by marking “Sugar Rush (Sugar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Rush (Sugar, #1)

Sugar Rush

(Sugar #1)

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,100 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Saucy, shimmering, loud and larger than life - come get your sugar fix! It's survival of the fittest at Ravendene Comprehensive - the terrifying teenage jungle for which Kim Lewis must trade her safe, posh private school. But help is at hand - in the unlikely form of the rude, raucous, toxic and tantalising Maria (aka Sugar) Sweet, queen of the 'Ravers'. As Kim falls quick ...more
Published May 6th 2005 by Young Picador (first published September 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Rush

Fiona MacDonald
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Having adored the tv series I was keen to see how the book measured up. I must say after finishing this I much preferred the tv show. The book in my opinion didn't delve quite into Kim's head as much as the series. And Maria wasn't portrayed in the same way either, and nor was Saint! I will try and read the next book anyway because it was an easy read, but I was still a bit disappointed overall.
Reese
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I find myself rarely saying this, but the television adaptation was far more engaging and charming. Otherwise as source material goes, it's a passable read.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
DNF at page 100

It was just a boring story.
Emily
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teenage-fiction
Linda
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
The show is so MUCH better. I've forgone the sequel because the writing in this one was so bad.
Lauren
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated this book!! I struggled to get into it and finish it even though it's not a big book. The story was unbelievable and not realistic throughout. I love the tv show and even though I knew this was fairly different before I started it i would have thought some things would be similar but I think the only things that were the same were the names. I have the second one to read but I'll be taking a long pause between them I think.
Tara Calaby
You hear about this one a lot, possibly due to the TV show, so I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it just didn't meet those expectations for me. I wasn't really big on the style – while it was trying to be authentic, all the capslock started to get to me by the end – and I felt like the ending was completely unsupported by the text. (Actually, I felt like that with a lot of the plot.) More importantly, though, I found all of the characters (except for Kim's dad, perhaps) to be extremely unl ...more
Rae
Mar 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
tres retardataire. author claims it took only ten afternoons to write; it's a shame she didn't spend another afternoon editing
glyn
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I think the whole problem with this book is the fact that it was all just too... empty. Whereas the author spent a lot of time describing the environment in an (in my opinion) humorous way which painted a clear picture of what the characters' lives were like, I feel like the relationship between the main character and her love interest was very underdeveloped.
(Spoiler alert.) They sort of just started doing whatever, and then everything went to shit because the love interest was a dumb, racist,
abi
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtqia
I don’t remember Kim being so bloody annoying and awful.

Kim and Sugar have absolutely no chemistry and I didn’t believe that Sugar would sleep with her for even a second. No one has a personality, both Kim and Sugar are racist, Sugar is homophobic. There are just way too many problems with this to count and it thoroughly pissed me off.

Save yourself the time and just stick to the TV show (which frankly only takes the names of the characters and nothing else from this book).
Joanne
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
When Kim’s father makes her move from her posh girls school to the school fool of trouble makers. Sure she’s not going to fit in for being thought a snob, she’s surprised when Sugar, the most popular girl at school, befriends her. As Sugar leads Kim down the road of alcohol and drugs, Kim experiences things she never has before, including feelings for Sugar. Is she falling for her new best friend?

I’m so glad I never really saw the TV programme before I read this. From what I know of the programm
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-coming-of-age
This book is about a girl named Kim. She's 15 and going to a nice high school in Brighton England. She has one good friend and father and younger brother at home. Her mother, we soon discover, left with a young man. Kim is very confused her family is newly seperated so the household has changed. Her mother used to like to listen to lots of music and watch the television all the time. Her house was always noisy when her mother was home. Once her mother left her home became very quite and more ord ...more
Ashleigh
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I can't help but feel a little disappointed with this. There was so much potential there for an amazing book - but I felt it was very 2D.

Kim, a 15 year old girl having to move from a posh all girls school to a co-ed hell hole, meets Sugar AKA Maria Sweet and just 'falls in love' with her. I use the phrase lightly, as it came over as more obsessive infatuation. It just made me feel a bit, I don't know, awkward I think is the best word.

I found the plot itself boring. Repetitive. Tedious. And any
Kenya Liggons
Sugar Rush........... What can I say about this book? Well, a couple of days ago, I just got this book, and I really thought it was going to be good. My view from the time I got the book, to the time I ended the book, I was just like how come my view changed? The cover is very deceiving.... I don't typically read these types of books, but I did, because I am open to all kinds of genres.... Umm this book starts off with this character, named Kim. Kim is a fifteen year old high schooler, she has ...more
Nick Rowe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
In trying to write a novel for young adults on the topic of homosexuality and homophobia, I felt that Sugar Rush would be a good place to find the "line" which I'm not allowed to cross. I was disappointed.
There is pretty much nothing 'explicit' about this book. Yes, they smoke weed, drink and occasionally partake in sexual activity (which is never seen), but does that make it explicit, or does that make it reflect the culture today?
There are very few books on this kind of topic aimed at this rea
Ashleigh
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Essentially, I loved this story and its message. My only complaint is the almost unbearable stamp of militant feminism -of the man-hating variety- that undercuts seemingly every turn of event throughout the whole book, to the point where it's obvious the writer is speaking, not the protagonist. This veered towards a loosely-veiled essay at times and it's only because of the 90s-early-2000s nostalgia and authenticity of every character that this didn't bother me so much.
In all, Sugar Rush isn't w
Liralen
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq, ya, z-2016, reviewed
Deeply, distinctly 'meh'. What was the point here? To throw together a bunch of unlikeable, stereotype-heavy characters and let them run rampant across 278 pages? It's not even remotely a difficult read, but by the second half I'd (more than) had enough.

The one thing I do appreciate is the way Kim doesn't make a big deal of her attraction to another girl—she acknowledges that it's unexpected, but then she goes with it. There isn't any big coming-out plotline. But...I need a lot more than that to
Abbey Gray
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty average. There were no exciting events happen and I didn't like any of the characters. Especially the main character who I found really annoying. It also felt like the ending was very rushed.
Stephanie Davies
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Only about two thirds through but I already know this is the most casually racist, ableist and transphobic piece of trash I've ever read. I don't know how I expected anything different of Burchill.

UPDATE: It got worse.
Katastrofekat
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
It might have been becase I was reading a norwegian translation of this book, but something about the pacing of the book felt off for me and because of this the story didn't quite capture my interest.
Tobi Grantham
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbt-read
Apalling. The writing, especially coming from a known journalist was poor and entirely uninviting. Why this book is so popular I cannot fathom. I was truly looking forward to reading it and it was an immense let down.
Live and learn.
Layla
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was one of my childhood books. It deals with some issues around sexuality and adolescence. I remember enjoying, but I've definitely outgrown it.
Cecilie
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Lame. Hopeless.
Emma
Jul 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-break-ups
not for me so giving up DNF
Leah
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Explicit content my ass.
Maria Harper
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rated this book imaging my teenage semi in the closet self rating it, it was an important part of my youth as a gay female teenager struggling with why my attraction was any different to anyone else’s.

For any young woman testing the boundary’s of sexuality or simply a young person who has just started to experience the first feelings of love in any form, I feel this book approaches from a fair perspective and as I read before the TV series it looks like I am one of the few that prefer the boo
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think my problem with this book was that it was so clearly written for a teenager. It was almost like a teenager had wrote the whole thing. Which you think would be great? But it wasn’t, this book certainly hasn’t aged well. I love modern Young Adult because it is cutting edge, well written and in no way dumbed Down like this book seems to be. I think I would have loved this book 15 years ago but having read it now, it just seemed a bit meh.
Louise
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The tv show is much better, not worth a read
Gill
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, ya, month-12
Somehow I missed the TV adaptation of this coming-of-age story. By all accounts the show was better than the book, which is merely ok.
Elle Musoke
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This was alright when I was 12 so three stars.
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Orphea Proud
  • Big Big Sky
  • I Kiss Girls
  • About a Girl
  • I Don't Remember You
  • It's Our Prom (So Deal with It)
  • Gravel Queen
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Secret Lies
  • The Summer of Love
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • God Loves Hair
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Love Rules
  • Say the Word
  • Talk
  • Love & Lies: Marisol's Story
Julie Burchill is an English writer and columnist known for her provocative comments. Beginning as a writer for the New Musical Express at the age of 17, she has written for newspapers such as The Sunday Times and The Guardian. She is a self-declared "militant feminist". She has several times been involved in legal action resulting from her work. She is also an author and novelist, her 1989 novel ...more
“We sat there smiling at each other, shimmied to a standstill, thinking about all the boys that had wanted us that day, and how none of them had got us, not for a minute; how we'd let them pay for drinks and candyfloss and then run away laughing, their cries of 'Slags!' and 'Bitches' ringing in our ears like respect rather than derision.” 2 likes
“It was the flashing lights, and the noise of the machines, and the loud, loud music, all seeming to refract and contract around her, her eyes widening, her hair swooshing, her slow smile shining. She seemed an actual part of the place - all fun, all joy, all shimmery skittering energy.” 1 likes