Start by marking “Notes from the Underground” as Want to Read:
Notes from the Underground

Notes from the Underground

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  48,528 Ratings  ·  3,110 Reviews
Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, ...more
Kindle Edition, Public Domain, 160 pages
Published May 12th 2012 (first published 1864)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Underground, please sign up.
James Spencer No, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his…moreNo, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his alienation from society while existing on the fringes of that society. In other words I agree completely with your understanding of Dostoyevsky's use of the phrase.(less)
Breslin White I read it and decided to read more of Fyodor Dostoyevsky because I liked the narrator. However, I think I read it after reading two of his novels, or…moreI read it and decided to read more of Fyodor Dostoyevsky because I liked the narrator. However, I think I read it after reading two of his novels, or maybe even three or more.(less)

karen
oh, dear. this is not a character that it is healthy to relate to, is it?? he is a scootch more pathetic than me, and more articulate, but his pettinesses are mine; his misanthropy is mine, his contradictions and weaknesses... i have to go hide now, i feel dirty and exposed...

come to my blog!
Nate D
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who overthink, people who think.
Recommended to Nate D by: dfw
Shelves: read-in-2009, russia
1. Irritated by Underground Man.
2. Amused by Underground Man.
3. Sick of Underground Man.
4. Want to fly to St. Petersburg, travel back in time, and punch Underground Man right in the face.
5. Pity for Underground Man.
6. Horrified by Underground Man.
7. Further reading of Underground Man's monologue almost physically painful. I almost wanted to cover my eyes, but this would have posed problems for reading.
8. Glad to be free of the Underground Man, but glad to have known him, in the end.
Ben
More than anything, this book should make you think. And not about trivial shit either, but about big, important conditions of life and how best to view and react to them. I have "should" italicized in that first sentence for a reason: If you don't give yourself time to think -- if just skim through the book quickly -- then you won't get anything out of it.

It's narrated by a guy living underground, in poverty. You are reading his notes. The first half, his ramblings, thoughts and philosophies of
Nataliya
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine 19th century Russian literature as a loud boisterous party. Here's Pushkin, basking in the center of attention, charming up all the ladies. Here are Chekhov and Gogol at the heart of a passionate intellectual argument. Here's Count Tolstoy, busily serving canapés while rejoicing in the pleasure of work, stopping only to chat about the pleasures of countryside with Turgenev.

But where's Dostoyevsky? Oh, there he is, sitting by himself in a dark corner, dead broke after a high-stakes cards
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Κατεβείτε σε αυτό το ΥΠΟΓΕΙΟ- σας συμβουλεύω ανεπιφυλακτα να κατεβείτε.
Θα συναντήσετε έναν αντί-ήρωα απομονωμένο,ευγενή,εγωκεντρικό που θα σας διαφωτίσει ως προς το παράδοξο και το τραγικό της ανθρώπινης ύπαρξης.

Η ελευθερία,η συναίσθηση,η αγάπη,η ανθρώπινη βούληση,το απρόβλεπτο και το αχάριστο της ανθρώπινης φύσης.

" Πρώτα πρώτα,δεν μπορούσα μα αγαπήσω,γιατι,το ξαναλέω,για μένα αγάπη θα πει να τυραννάς και να κυριαρχείς στην ψυχή του άλλου"

Με πολλή μαεστρία ο κάτοικος του υπόγειου μας εξηγεί π
Lisa
Bravo, Dostoyevsky! This is the perfect, absolutely accurate and universal portrait of the insecure, self-conscious egomaniac - pitiful and dangerous, on a negative quixotic rampage against himself, society and the laws of nature he despises but cannot change.

There are so many of these angry men (and women), and they don’t speak from the underground anymore. With modern technology, they have conquered the virtual world, spewing out their self-pity and hatred in long, inconsistent, frustrated ti
Araz Goran
" أيها السادة، سأخبركم حول الكيفية التي أضعتُ فيها فرصة النجاح في حياتي ...... بفعل الفساد الروحي والأخلاقي الذي أعاني منه، وبفعل الوقاحة الصلفة التي أتصف بها، وبفعل عدم تعودي على الحياة المُعاشة، وبفعل تراكم الغيظ والحقد اللذين نميتُهما في قبوي "
mark monday
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mark by: Andrew Schirmer
so I came across this guy at a party that I had known in college, many years ago. I remembered him clearly: that brilliant, pretentious guy with his stories and his sarcasm and his nihilism. our classmates mocked him and so did I, but I enjoyed him too. he was a funny fellow, entirely self-absorbed, smart and well-read and amusingly melodramatic in his comments about the world and his life; he wore his pathos blatantly, like some kind of robe or badge or shield. I always thought that was brave o ...more
Sherif Metwaly

" أنا رجلٌ مريض، أنا رجلٌ شرير، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مُنفر. "

بهذه الجملة القصيرة، المعرِّية لنفسية بطل الرواية من أول لحظة، بدأتْ الرواية، وبدأ أول لقاء لي في رحاب خبير النفس البشرية الأعظم على مرّ التاريخ بشهادة معظم من قرأوا له. أن تفتح الصفحات الأولى من رواية فتجد في انتظارك هذا الاعتراف، لهو شيء مثير للاهتمام لدرجة أني ابتسمت!، نعم ابتسمت، فأنا: رجلٌ بسيط، أنا رجلٌ يحب الصدق، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مجنون.

حسنًا، لننشّط الخيال قليلًا..

أنا الآن أقف أمام منزلٍ قديم، يبدو مظلمًا وكئيبًا لدرجة لا تُطاق، ا
Glenn Russell
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dostoevsky leads us into the deepest recesses of human consciousness, a mire of stinky sewers, feted pits and foul-smelling rat holes - novel as existential torment and alienation.

Do you envision a utopia founded on the principals of love and universal brotherhood? If so, beware the underground man. And what is it about the underground? Well, ladies and gentlemen, here are several quotes from the text with my comments:

"I would now like to tell you, gentlemen, whether you do or do not wish to he
Garima

Shall the world go to hell, or shall I not have my tea? I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.

Thus Spoke Dostoevsky

There were many things for me to get excited about after finishing this novella (It’s a trap!) but the first and an essentially timeworn image which appeared in my mind was that of a small child, sitting in a corner after being rebuked by an elder for giving little or no thought about the world with its countless complexities and contradictions around her.
jessica
im trying to become more of a classics person and ive found that foreign classics, especially russian, is the easiest way to do that. not only do i feel cultured, but the writing style and themes are so interesting - particularly with this book.

if i could rename this book, it would be ‘the impossible rant of a cranky recluse.’ lol. the narrator spends part one of this book rambling about the shortcomings of humanity, how he despises modern society as it is, and his contempt for just about every
B. Han Varli
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

aşkı ilk defa yaşamak gibi, denizi ilk defa görmek gibi, dostoyevski'yi keşfetmek de insanın hayatında önemli bir tarihtir

her başladığım yeni kitapta daha iyi anlıyorum ben borges'in ne demek istediğini.

yüzlerce hikaye ile tanıştım, başka başka gerçekliklerin ve kurguların içerisine dahil oldum, ama hiçbir yazar ile, evet hiçbiri ile dostoyevski ile aramda kurduğum bağ kadar kuvvetli bir bağ kuramadım.

onu okurken zihnimde işlemeye başlayan mekanizma kadar özel bir pratiği hiçkimse ile sağla
Ahmad Sharabiani
871. Zapiski iz podpol'ia = Notes from the Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Notes from Underground (Russian: Записки из подполья, tr. Zapíski iz podpólʹya), also translated as Notes from the Underground or Letters from the Underworld, is an 1864 novella by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Notes is considered by many to be one of the first existentialist novels. It presents itself as an excerpt from the rambling memoirs of a bitter, isolated, unnamed narrator (generally referred to by critics as the Underground M
Salma
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
النسخة التي عندي مترجمة تحت عنوان "في سردابي" لعبد المعين الملوحي..._و هي معنونة في قبوي ترجمة سامي الدوربي و دار ابن رشد، أو الانسان الصرصار(أو رسائل من أعماق الأرض) في ترجمة ثالثة لا أدري لمن_ نسختي كانت _قبل أن أبيعها_ نسخة قديمة مصفرة الأوراق مطبوعة عام 1956... و قد اشتريتها من على بسطة الكتب القديمة...0

رواية عن رجل يتحدث عن نفسه بصيغة المتكلم قد قرف المجتمع و زيفه...0

هل أستطيع أن أدلي باعتراف صغير هنا... لطالما أحببت دوستويفسكي... لكن في روايته هنا أحسست به يعرفني منذ أمد بعيد

لا أحد يشك بأ
Mohammed  Ali
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحيانا يصادف الإنسان مواقف معينة، مختلفة ومتباينة، فتتولّد داخله مشاعر معينة، مختلفة ومتباينة أيضا .. فيحدث أحيانا أنّنا نستطيع التعبير عن هذه المشاعر، وأحيانا نفشل في التعبير عن ذلك .. وما أريد قوله الآن ما هو إلاّ فشل في التعبير، وإخفاق في تحويل المشاعر إلى كلمات فجمل فمعنى.
بدأت في قراءة هذه الرواية فوجدت كلمات أعرفها تصف شعورا أعرفه، بل وجدتني أحيانا هناك، بين الكلمات وبين المعاني، وجدت ما لم أستطع التعبير عنه، وجدت معاني أحسستها ولكن لم أستطع تكوينها وتجميعها .. وجدت تقريبا كلّ شيء أو حتّى ن
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Dostoievski, el único psicólogo, dicho sea de paso, que me ha enseñado algo. Dostoievski ha sido una de las mayores suertes de mi vida, más incluso que mi descubrimiento de Stendhal." Friedrich Nietzsche, El ocaso de los ídolos

Amargado, resentido, contestatario, recalcitrante, ácido, irónico, irreverente, negativo, acomplejado, cruel, pesimista...
Estos pueden ser algunos de los adjetivos calificativos que el lector puede darle al narrador de "Memorias del subsuelo", uno de los libros más difíc
Paul Bryant
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Literary Characters React to Notes from the Underground

Eeyore

This Accounts for a Good Deal. It Explains Everything. In Life, you see, we can't all, and some of us don't. Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush. This book is telling everybody “We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts in May' with the end part of an ants' nest. It's all the same to me." Amusing in a quiet way, but not really helpful.

Piglet

Help, help! A hexistentialist! A horrible
Vit Babenco
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novelette Notes from Underground is a conspicuous harbinger of existential novel.
It is like a warning to the future society of hypocritical and conforming featureless worms into which the world is gradually turning these days.
And now I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and utterly futile consolation that it is even impossible for an intelligent man seriously to become anything, and only fools become something. Yes, sir, an intelligent man of the nineteenth c
Ahmed Oraby
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حسنًا حسنًا، دويستويفسكي العظيم من جديد
هذا الرجل المحير للغاية مرة أخرى، يجذبك بأسلوبه وبكلماته العميقة البسيطة، في آن واحد، لتكمل قراءة الرواية لآخرها.
رواية أخرى لا يسعنى بعد الفراغ منها إلا أن أقف مشدوهًا أمام قدرة هذا العبقري
ها هنا، يتجلى دوساويفسكي في أبهى صوره؛ في صورة الفيلسوف، بالطبع.
صدقًا، هذا الرجل ملئ بالمفاجآت، فلرواياته طعم خاص ولون مغاير للغاية، عن أي ما ستقرأ مستقبلًا
ولرواياته ألوان عديدة ومختلفة، فقلما تجده يكرر نفسه وأسلوبه.
عند أول عهدي به، مع روايته الجريمة والعقاب، ما وسعني إلا
فرشاد
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، بیش از این که یک رمان باشد، یک تحلیل شخصیت روانشناسانه است. اگرچه داستایوفسکی در اینجا شانس رویارویی با فروید را به طور مطلق از دست داده است، نثر او با اندیشههای فروید، پیوند خواهرانه برقرار میکند.

یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، البته مصداق بارزی از رمان کلاسیک است. یعنی از آن دست رمانهایی است که نویسنده سعی میکند با تحلیل شخصیت و توصیف حالات فیزیکی، مخاطب را به مرز جنون برساند. در یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، داستایوفسکی بیش از صد حالت مختلف را برای چهره و رفتار شخصیتها تشریح کرده است. توصیفا
حماس

في قبوى، أم في قبري ؟!
مضطربة الفكر انتهي من هذا الكتاب الغريب
مميز جدا في ذاته لا يشبهه شىء
يتحدث عن رجل اعتزل مجتمعه ومكث في قبوه يتأمل ويتخيل أشخاصًا يحدثهم بأفكاره ويكتب لهم
هذا الرجل يقر بحقارته ودناوته معترفًا في الوقت ذاته بأنه أذكى البشر
وأنه وصل لمرحلة عليا من الوعى
وهو بالفعل وصل لقمة الوعى بالذات، حتى انه ليظن باقي البشر انما يحسدونه ويحقدون عليه
فنفّر الجميع من حوله حتى لم يبق على علاقته احد
فهو يريد من حوله أن يُظهروا له الخضوع والاحترام، فيسخر منهم ويصرخ فيهم ويهينهم، ألا يظن أنه يبعدهم عن
Rowena
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never be fooled by book size when it comes to Dostoevsky! This novella was just under 100 pages long so I figured it would take me just a couple of hours to read. I was obviously wrong but I enjoyed the read. The prose is extremely dense so I had to read it slower than I read other books. The protagonist was fascinating (peculiar, even) and I enjoyed reading his introspective thoughts about different issues. I will definitely be re-reading this one.
Taghreed Jamal el deen
هل يستحق الشفقة أم الكره والإحتقار ؟؟
وهل حقا بعض الناس لا يمكن لأي
Lyn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met the Russian on the loading docks. Filling trailers with freight out in the weather, in the humid heat and then again in the freezing cold was not a career, not a job anyone especially wanted, it was a job to fill in the gaps, work that paid a wage and filled a need as necessary as the empty trailers that backed into the dock one after the other.

I had seen him in the break room, out on the picnic tables - always alone. He scribbled incessantly in an old thesis book, would pause long m
MJ Nicholls
New:

“ . . . we’ve all grown unaccustomed to life, we’re all lame, each of us more or less. We’ve even grown so unaccustomed that at times we feel a sort of loathing for real “living life,” and therefore cannot bear to be reminded of it. For we’ve reached a point where we regard real “living life” almost as labor, almost as service, and we all agree in ourselves that it’s better from a book. And why do we sometimes fuss about, why these caprices, these demands of ours? We ourselves don’t know why
Arnie
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone paying attention
When I read it at the height of my existential angst college days, I felt I had never identified with a character so strongly. I don't underline books, this might be the only one, I underlined about 90% of it.
هَنَـــاءْ

إن مأساة هذا الإنسان البائس على وجه التحديد حينما لا يجد المنفذ للتنفيس من بين الأبواب الموصدة أمامه .. ثم لا يخرج، ولا ينفجر، ولا يعبر عما بداخله كما يليق بكائن حي ذو منزلة عالية.

لذا تجده يتوه في حقده مع صراعاته الدامية، وأفكاره المريضة .. ويتربص بها كالثعلب حيناً، والأفعى الغاضبة حيناً آخر.

حتى يقضي ليلته ثائراً، مقهوراً، منكفئاً في عزلته. يدور خلف أفكاره وكأنها تهرب منه وهو يركض خلفها ليمسكها ..
ثم لا يمسك منها إلا الخيال الذي يتلاعب به.

إن الإنسان المهان، مخلوق هائج كبلّته أوهامه مع ما لا يقاو
Shivam Chaturvedi
You see, this man Dostoyevsky calls you witness to a killing, a killing that he himself intends to perform. You are apprehensive, frightened even, but you walk in nevertheless. There in front of you lies this despondent figure of a man whom this convener intends to slaughter. Settled in rather uncomfortably, you prepare for the death blow to fall. But it doesn't; the victim is not shown the mercy of an easy execution.

Instead Dostoyevsky strangles him, squeezes the very life out of him. And he do
Nahed.E
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

اعطي هذا الكتاب 5 نجمات لما قدمه ديستويفيسكي من تصوير رائع لحياة هذا الإنسان المسكين المغلوب علي أمره في هذا العصر
فهذا الإنسان كما قال ديستويفيسكي موجود في كل مكان
حولنا دائماً نراه كثيراً كضحية لعصر أصبح الإنسان فيه مثل الألة التي لا شعور فيها ولا إحساس
هذا الإنسان المسكين الذي يرسل لنا مذكراته من تحت الأرض
مثله كمثل الحشرات تحيا تحت اقدامنا تهرب من مكان لمكان بلا انتماء ولا أمان ولا هدف
فقط حياتها في الهروب
  • The Collected Stories
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • Envy
  • The Eye
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • The Case of Comrade Tulayev
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreaming in Cuban
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Hush (Just This Once, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Anywhere but Here (Vintage Contemporaries)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Sweet By and By
    $9.74 $1.99
  • George
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.” 2305 likes
“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.” 922 likes