Start by marking “Dead Shot” as Want to Read:
Dead Shot

Dead Shot

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Sometimes Cupid has his own agenda.

Carpenter Peter takes his hyperactive ten-year-old nephew to play in the park with his home-made bow and arrows -- but makes the mistake of closing his eyes for a minute. Alerted by a yell of pain, he’s mortified to find that Kevin has shot a tall, handsome stranger in the rear end. Especially when Kevin suggests Peter should kiss it bett
Published August 26th 2012 by JMS Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Shot

Deeze
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Short, sweet and fun.

A light little pick me up read.

Plenty of room for expansion *hint hint* lol.
jules0623
Elspeth
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mmr
The romance was too quick, it didn't feel right.
Ari
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I usually very fond with JL Merrow story; I like her humor, the brit tone in her story and her loveable characters. But this short story doesn't work for me. I dunno, maybe because it's too short. The whole story seems like forced packed in one nite. (view spoiler)
Eli Easton
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: jl-merrow
I love J.L. Merrow and I've been working my way through her back catalogue. This short story was published in an anthology some time ago and recently re-released. I love her sense of humor and her wonderful first person voices. That style of hers was not as evident in this story. The plot was simple (as you'd expect from a short story) -- a man's nephew accidentally hits a strange man in a park while playing to 'bow and arrows' and the man and the uncle end up together. The MCs and romantic arc ...more
Kyra
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
This was a fun little story with believable insta-lust (not love!!), a cute matchmaking kid and plenty of humor. I noticed that some readers had a problem with Peter's past actions (view spoiler). Yeah, it was a shitty thing to do but everybody can make mistakes and he has clearly regretted it and his sister has forgiven him. To me he seemed like a nice guy who has fucked up once but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance at tr ...more
Lillian Francis
An enjoyable short that only took 20 mins or so to read. Everything happened a touch on the quick side but JL Merrow's first person narrative is in evidence here and is as distinctive and funny as ever.
Feliz
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, short
A nice, savoury snack
Gigi
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Will need to -re-read before reviewing.
Kaetrin
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it

B Cute funny story about a guy who's looking after his nephew for the day when said nephew shoots cute guy in the butt with a homemade bow and arrow. When the nephew says his uncle should kiss it better, Uncle Peter thinks that's a great idea. Another very short story at about 20 pages - try and get it on special because it's usual price is $2.99 which is too much for such a short story IMO. Still, JL Merrow manages to write fun and entertaining characters in a very short space and does
Julesmarie
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun and funny short story. And at the same time, it also managed to be sweet and endearing. I'm more and more amazed at JL Merrow's ability to make me laugh while at the same time creating characters that I care about and root for and identify with. And in this story, managed to do it in such a short story!

I thought the nephew was adorable! (view spoiler)
Penumbra
Dead Shot is a short story told in first person through the eyes of Peter, the uncle of a very precocious nephew that goes by the name of Kevin. While at the park one day, Kevin shoots a makeshift arrow into the butt of Edward, who’s taking his dog for a walk. Kevin sees an opportunity to pair up his Uncle Peter with Edward by asking some very awkward questions.

I thought this story had a cute premise but it was kind of short. There wasn’t any angst in this story and it was a smooth, quick read.
Suze
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I did quite enjoy this one, I normally do love JL Merrow's books but this only got a 3.5 rate from me.
I'd have loved a longer fully fleshed out version - it did go a bit quick for me. The main bone of contention I had was a 10 yo boy sounding like a 6 yo (maybe becuase I have a 10 yo I am doing a straight comparison) and that spoiled it a little bit for me (now I have no direct experience with ADHD so it could be completely accurate).
As always, nice clean writing and one I will reread and knowin
Lacey
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
For me my rating isn't so much because Peter slept with his sister's husband (not that I condone it), but it did happen 7 years before after all and everything's good between brother and sister now. It was more that this story was too short to really get to know either character. Honestly, the kid had the most personality out of all of them. Also, this story just didn't grab me like most of this author's other stories have.
Michelle
*Kindle Unlimited
Kynnetic
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-again
For a short story, this wasn't too bad. Granted, I've never thought about simply jumping into bed with a guy I've only just met--let alone after only one date--but I know that it does actually happen in real life. The kid, Kevin, I would have had over my knee in a heartbeat had that been my nephew and those sentences made there way out of his mouth after just meeting someone new.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, mm, shorty
This was an ok story for me. Not my favorite Merrow story, by a long shot, but I did enjoy it, as it had all the makings of what I love about J.L.'s writing style. The storyline was a little lacking though, and it felt very rushed. I'm not a fan of insta-anything really, and the cheating with the sister's husband (even though it happened many years before) seemed an unnecessary tidbit.
Arthur

A quite nice story that would have gotten higher rating had the author not been seduced to a sensational twist that doesn't add anything to the story by providing a weird background. (view spoiler)
Ladypessi
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Short and sweet story. It would have been better if we could have had more time to get to know Peter and Edward. They both remained as a mystery for me because the story was so short. Either way, the story was cute and an easy read.
Sue
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret I love J.L. Merrow's writing, and this is a hoot.
What a happy, sweet story.
Okay, I'm out of sync reading a story about Cupid at Christmas, but I really don't care, because this made me laugh.
Thanks again, J.L.
Andrea
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Good M/M short story about a man taking his nephew for a day in the park. The nephew accidentally shoots an arrow at a hot stranger's butt. The nephew then plays matchmaker for his uncle and the hot stranger. It's a cute romance with a couple surprises and some humor thrown in.
Morgana
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Namja
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m
Short and sweet, something to read in between heavier stories.
Tailtiu
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
Part of the A Flirty Dozen Anthology
Grandmat
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Simple, light, and endearing.
Susinok
Cute.
Dennie
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a cute little short story. And I mean short. 22 pages on my phone which is about 4 paragraphs per page. Took me 20 min to finish.
LaShonta
Sep 02, 2012 marked it as no-thanks
I don't like cheaters!
Bogusia
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice short story, wish it could be longer :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • The Ronin and The Fox
  • The Walls Have Ears (College Fun and Gays, #3)
  • Where You Hurt the Most
  • Diva and the Frat Boy (Men of Holsum College, #2)
  • Knitter in His Natural Habitat (Granby Knitting, #3)
  • Few Are Chosen
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Above All (Jasper Swinton, #1)
  • July (Scavengers #1) (Zombie Gentlemen)
  • Equation For Love
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)
  • Dear Diary (Dear Diary, #1)
  • Acceleration (Impulse, #2)
  • Doubtless (Irresistible Attraction, #2)
  • Making Ends Meet
  • Sight Unseen
  • Kevin's Stories: Volume 2: The Christmas Edition (Car Wash, #1.2)
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora