Start by marking “School Spirits” as Want to Read:
School Spirits

School Spirits (Hex Hall)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  10,739 Ratings  ·  1,316 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the loca
Published May 14th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about School Spirits, please sign up.

Savannah I agree with Jordyn. The Hex Hall trilogy is fantastic. I could barely put it down, which is something that hasn't really happened since Harry Potter.…moreI agree with Jordyn. The Hex Hall trilogy is fantastic. I could barely put it down, which is something that hasn't really happened since Harry Potter. You should definately read the Hex Hall trilogy. As Jordyn said, you won't regret it. (less)
Yujin sadly, no. The author said there might be future e-books or wattpad continuing the story but there will be no more books.

Aqsa
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
10 freaking stars.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE READ THIS YEAR. Ugh, loved it so hard! I want more of Izzy and Dex! - especially Dex! <3 I want MORE MORRRE MOAAAAR!! One cannot simply have enough of Rachel Hawkins and her fabulousness.
I can't wait till Rebel Belle comes out!

All of you Hex Hall lovers should definitely read this! It doesn't disappoint, in fact-- Ms. Hawkins never disappoints. <3

NEW UPDATE GUYS. 15th February, 2013!

Rachel gives us a new sneak peek of School Spirits!
Bef
Saniya
Aug 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
After reading the blurb: <3

And OMG. The cover. O_O

Give me the book now. :(
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Rachel Maniacup

The story about Prodigium and Brannicks from the enjoyable Hex Hall series continues in this book but this time, Isolde or “Izzy”, Sophie’s (the famous Sophie of Hex Hall series) cousin becomes the heroine.

Izzy is a trained assassin of dangerous otherworldly creatures and was born to do nothing but rid the world of evil. Nothing seems to scare her except uhm, high school. Can’t blame the poor girl. Lol. Unluckily, Izzy has to immerse herself in Mary Evans High School or MEH (lol!) for
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Confession time: as someone who is still suffering from Archer withdrawals a big fan of the first two Hex Hall books, I was a little nervous about the prospect of a spinoff series. I'm happy to report that School Spirits finds the author back in fine form, this time with a character that was introduced in Spell Bound.

Remember the girl who talked to the Torin, the guy stuck in the mirror? Izzy Brannick is now fifteen, and her family has a long history as hunters of supernatural creature
Ida
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite my disappointment with the last Hex Hall book, Spell Bound, that series still belongs to one of my absolute favorites. Why? Well, I can only name a handful of books that have made me feel fluffy and warm inside, and at the same time make me guffaw in laughter while being on the edge of my seat.

Rachel Hawkins' writing and characters has never failed to bring a smile in my face and I absolutely love it. And thus, despite previous disappointments, I was really looking forward for this spin-
Tabby
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I liked Rachel Hawkins Hex Hall Trilogy

What I thought

This book leaves you wanting more, there’s so much left unresolved. That being said I really enjoyed this book, the characters were great, I loved Dex. The plot was fun and entertaining. It was interesting seeing Izzy living in the real world. The funniest part was when she figured out that girls go the bathroom together. My ex used to make fun of me for that alot lol. It needed more romance but what we got was sweet.
Melodramaticfool
A 3.5 star rating for sure! It missed that snazz of Sophie's sarcastic humor, but it still had that action and intrigue that I love in Rachel Hawkin's writing style. School Spirits had that touch of silly humor as readers will see right in the beginning in the first chapter.

The story starts after a chapter or so with Izzy taking a turn for new, when she attends high school in order to solve a mystery and take care of it the Brannick way! To intrigue you, the mystery is that a ghost is slowly tr
Rachel Maniacup
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
This book is fabulous! The funny thing is..I thought this was the first book of the Hex Hall series,haha! But when I started flipping through the pages, I suddenly couldn't stop.That's when I thought I'm glad I've mistaken this book to Hex Hall.^^

This is a story of a young monster fighter who has a ghost haunting mission in a high school.And learning to manage high school for the first time, Isolde(Izzy)the main character of the story met a few friends who all happened to be a PMS(Paranormal Man
Jessie
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Because of my love for Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall series, I dived into this book fully expecting to be blown away. But it didn't happen. School Spirits is extremely different from Hex Hall. While HH was a book that made me crack up constantly, SS was a book a lot more serious. Even though it does contain some jokes in the book, they all failed on me. The jokes felt forced, and it felt like the author was trying too hard to make you laugh, but failed.

I'm going to divide this
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars - I was happy with School Spirits but had to round down because I think book 1 of Hex Hall was just a little bit better.

If you took the offbeat humor from Hex Hall and incorporated elements from Snow White (talking mirror), Vampire Academy (dreamwalking), and Anna Dressed in Blood (ghost hunting), you'll end up with the peculiar formula for School Spirits.
The rest of the day passed uneventfully. I guess after you've beaten someone up with a dodgeball and flirted with a monster, most
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I rate this book 4.5 stars.

I'd been meaning to read a book by Rachel Hawkins as people have loved her Hex Hall series (still need to read that), and boy, am I glad I did! School Spirits centers on Isolde Brannick, who is one of the few remaining evil hunters in the world. Little does she know that fate will have her going to... high school for the very first time. The job is this-- to rid the school of a menacing ghost that ha
Booklover1993
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
YAHOOOOO! thank u,racheal hawkins!!

i felt unsatisfied by just 3 books.

The ideal comparison 4 this series shall b "bloodlines"

the vampire academy spinoff was out just 8 months after original and was almost as good.

it would be very interesting to see what happens in this series!

so again, THANK YOU!

if some fans feel it doesnt live up to original, it is mistake 2 make a spin off BLAH BLAH BLAH

then i just want to tell you-

GO TO HELL! I AM REALLY ANTICIPATING THIS!

update..thank u all 4 liking this s
Shreya
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
We all must have either heard of or read Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall series. That being said, the main characters Miss Hawkins had created in that series, Sophie, ended up becoming one of my most admired and favorite "bookish" role models/heroines for life. Now, let's go down one, two, or five levels from that awesomeness and we arrive at School Spirits. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this book but I recommend not going into this book with your 'spirits' set high (haha, you see what I did there?). I ...more
Anushka
Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

I’d give this 3 stars, because it wasn’t that bad, (but yeah, it was pretty bad) – BUT I had given Spellbound and Demonglass 3 stars and when compared School Spirits to them, it deserves nothing more than 2.

Like I said, this was pretty bad. First of all, Izzy wasn’t even slightly cool. She was a badass, but a boring badass, and what use it that? We all loved Sophie in Hex Hall because she was soooo funny but its like Izzy doesn’t even know w
Doruntina
Why OH Why does it have to be MAY Hawkins? I mean REALLY?

Are you trying to give us a Heart Attack!!!!!!!

Photobucket

I absolutely LOVED hex hall and when i saw the spin off, i was like

Photobucket This is going to be AWESOME!!

And than i see MAY 2013....

YOU.CANT.DO.THIS.TO.US.

Publish it NOW!!!!

Photobucket

... Okay, i'm over reacting a little bit...

Photobucket Hawkins....
~Tina~
Fun fun fun! I simply adored Rachel Hawkins series, Hex Hall, and was rather sad when it finally came to an end, but I was happy to learn that we were getting a spin-off. I wasn't ready to let go of this world just yet and I'm happy to say that Hawkins hasn't lost her touch. School Spirits is just as fun and marvelous as I'd hope it would be.

Like all the Brannick women, with their fierce green eyes and blazing red hair, sixteen year old Isolde has all the wonderful traits that comes with huntin
Amelie
Eigentlich würde dieses Buch vier Sterne bekommen, wäre da nicht das Ende und die Tatsache, dass es, wie es aktuell aussieht, keine Fortsetzungen geben wird. Unter diesem Aspekt kann ich dann einfach nicht mehr als 3 Sterne geben, denn das Ende war einfach... MEH. Es ist auch nicht eines dieser offenen Enden, die man so stehen lassen könnte, denn die Liebesgeschichte endet MEH und das mit der Adoption... Ehm also... ich fand nicht, dass das so gut zu den Charakteren gepasst hat.

Trotzdem habe ic
Angigames
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ma-anche-no
2 stelle e mezzo
Per carità, carino. È un libro adattissimo per staccare dal tran tran quotidiano. Un libro che ti fa compagnia, insomma, che alleggerisce che trasmette allegria, ma dopo 4 libri del genere dall’autrice so già cosa aspettarmi. Anticipo le sue mosse e le azzecco pure, questo non va bene.
Non mi hanno convinto i personaggi, per niente.
Isolde avrà pure avi antichi e super potenti… ma non sono riuscita a farmela piacere.
Dex è il solito bel ragazzo pieno di cose e frasi già viste (un
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Hyperion for sending me this review copy. No compensation was given or taken to change this review.

'"This is being a Brannick, Izzy. No one said it would be easy." And with that, he was gone.'

The long awaited spin-off series to Rachel Hawkin's best selling, Hex Hall trilogy. We are once again swept into the world of paranormal- vampires, warlocks, witches and faeries alike, and this time, instead of the kick-ass and sarcastic Sophie,
Jenna Major
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star-books
2.5/5
I loved the hex hall series that Rachel Hawkins wrote and so dove into this one. Extremely disappointed.
Lili
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2012
I absolutely loved the Hex Hall series, so I was naturally looking forward to this one. I can't even explain how excited I am to report that SCHOOL SPIRITS exceeded all of my expectations and delivered a story that I miraculously loved even more then the original series. Full of unique characters, a perfectly cute romance, an intriguing ghost story, and the laugh-out-loud humor that Hawkins is known for, this book will not disappoint.

It was refreshing to have a new voice in this one while remnan
Katy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This would have been a 3-star book for me if it hadn't been for the end. You have a pissed off ghost who is dangerously wreaking havoc, and to find out who was behind it all and the reason why it happened - what a major letdown.

As for the rest of the book, I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the Hex Hall series, sans the last book of course. The series hadn't been mind-blowing, but I really liked it because it had an interesting concept with witches and demons, The Eye and the politics involv
Jaime Arkin
When I saw this book listed in netgalley I immediately prayed to all the book gods that I would be approved for it. A few days later... I looked like this.

Photobucket

See, I loved Hex Hall, I enjoyed the story and the characters and when I heard that Rachel Hawkins was going to do a spin-off series I jumped for joy, but was admittedly a tiny bit worried what it would be about.

In School Spirits, we're better introduced to the Brannicks. If you've read the Hex Hall series, you might remember them as the fami
Bonnie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
A copy of School Spirits was provided to me by Disney-Hyperion/Netgalley for review purposes.

Izzy Brannick comes from a long line of monster hunters. Her family hunts them all for the Prodigium, the council that governs them all. The council that her cousin Sophie Mercer is in charge of. Izzy hasn't been the same since her sister went missing on a job both of them were supposed to be working on. She blames herself since she was supposed to be with her but ended up lettin
Ferdy
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - Spoilers

I really enjoyed the Hex Hall trilogy — the books weren't perfect, but all in all they were fun, light and rather charming reads. I was happy that there'd more of that to come in the spin-off about Sophie's cousin, Izzy Brannick.

-The most disappointing aspect of School Spirits was the storyline — it wasn't that it was bad, it was just that there wasn't a whole lot going on. Izzy's mum sent her to high school to investigate the suspicious-possibly-ghostly-supernatural death
Khanh (the meanie)

Meh.

I just don't really have a whole lot of feelings about this book, good or bad. It's one of those inoffensive, decently written book with a heroine and antagonists lackluster enough so that I've little about which to complain. Everything is average. The writing is decent. I don't love it. I don't hate it. I can read it all the way through without getting so bored that I switch to another book on my ereader.

School Spirits is a spin-off of Rachel Hawkins' other YA series, Hex Hall. We
Joie
Nov 18, 2012 marked it as to-read

description

AND THAT COVER <3333
Andis/Slytherin
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an incredibly fast read.
The story was just kinda eh.
And I could really read the first and last page and instantly knew the story.
Not that great.
Misty
School Spirits is the first in a spin-off series from the Hex Hall  books. And though I own the Hex Hall series, I was worried when this showed up in my mail that I wouldn't be able to read it, since I haven't actually read Hex Hall even a little bit. Being completely buried in books right now, and heading into what is inevitably my busiest month of the year, combined with the fact that I haven't read HH, I figured the best thing would be to set this on a shelf and let it languish for a bit whi ...more
Francy
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non riesco a credere a quello che sto per scrivere, ma, cavolo Hawkins!, finalmente ho apprezzato sul serio uno dei tuoi libri. E sto per scrivere un'altra frase che non pensavo avrei mai scritto: sono davvero curiosa di leggere il seguito.
Sono la prima ad essere stupita da questa cosa.
Ho apprezzato Izzy molto di più rispetto a Sophie e Dex molto di più rispetto ad Archer. Non so spiegare il perché, è così e basta.
Il fatto che Dex abbia gli occhioni azzurri e mi abbia fatto ridere molto di più d
YA Buddy Readers'...: School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins --- Restarting November 16th 2016 33 111 Nov 18, 2016 04:55AM
Books that should be made into series 1 7 Apr 10, 2015 11:07AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #56 - School Spirits 1 2 Mar 26, 2015 10:31AM
Stand alone novel?! 23 159 Jan 14, 2015 10:03AM
Stand alone novel?! 7 84 Feb 16, 2014 08:29AM
Dex=Benedict Cumberbatch 1 42 Sep 13, 2013 08:28PM
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Chantress (Chantress, #1)
  • The Rose Throne (The Rose Throne, #1)
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
  • Sweet Legacy (Medusa Girls, #3)
  • The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2)
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
  • Spies and Prejudice
  • Some Quiet Place (The Other Plane, #1)
  • Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Recalled (Death Escorts, #1)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)

Hex Hall (3 books)
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
“You are my new hero. Seriously, I might actually be in love with you now. Would it be awkward if we made out?” 50 likes
“You knocked out Ben McCrary?' he asked, eyes wide.
'It was an accident,' I said again. 'I threw the ball harder than I meant to.'
Dex burst into laughter. 'Oh my God, that is the greatest thing I've heard all week. You are my new hero.'
Squinting at me, he leaned in and said, 'Serious, I might actually be in love with you now. Would it be awkward if we made out?”
39 likes