Start by marking “Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1)

Offside (The Barker Triplets #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  6,953 Ratings  ·  451 Reviews
When hockey phenom Billie-Jo Barker returns home and decides to play in the local Friday night hockey league, all hell breaks loose. Not because Billie's talent is in question, but because Billie is a woman. And though these are modern times, some of the local guys still have a problem letting a girl into their 'men's club.'

Soon, Billie is at the center of a small town bat
Published September 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Offside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Offside

Ridley
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ridley by: author mentioned it on Twitter
This was a strange little book. While I enjoyed reading about a heroine who's a serious hockey player, and the sexual tension was expertly paced, the book was exceedingly over the top. Everything in it is turned up to 11. The sexist backlash over her joining the men's beer league, her dementia-addled father pointing a shotgun at the hero while her grandfather's drawers fall down, the triplet sisters being named Billie-Jo, Bobbi-Jo and Betty-Jo, the prodigal triplet returning just in time to toss ...more
Goddess Of Blah
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
description
I though the story would be an uplifting account of a woman discovering her strengths after suffering a sports injury.

Instead this book spends 50% of the first few chapters setting the scene for its trilogy.
description
We're introduced to a myriad of caricature chick-lit cardboard-cut-out characters, a surfeit of angst and lust before we've finished reading the first chapter and a lackluster tale.
description

I'm assuming the author intends to publish 3 books based on a set of triplets called Billy-Jo, Betty-Jo and Bob
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura the Highland Hussy by: Ridley
Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

4.5
I loved this book. Want to know a little known fact about your Highland Hussy? I played hockey for my university team, on a men’s team (we had no women’s team, so there were 4 of us girls), and I played in House Leagues. Those leagues are super competitive. Not that college hockey isn’t, but it’s a different vibe, so to speak.

In Offside, we see Billie Jo being pushed out of her pro league team in Sweden due to injury and coming home to her small
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I'm going to rate this a 3.5 stars. It was an ok story. The hockey phenom Billie career ends due to a head injury only to return home to a bunch who aren't happy to see her join the team and give her hell over it and even question her ability because she is a female but also to run into the man she lost her virginity too, Logan, who also broke her heart and is making things even worse for her. It's like no matter where she turns there's always an issue about to happen. I actually felt bad for Bi ...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, ebook, romance, request
I love these books that are centered around small town folk and how they react to different situations. The situation in New Waterford is Billie Jo. She has returned home after seven years. Those seven years were spent in Sweden where she was one of four women playing pro hockey. She knows she’s good at hockey. She even has the Olympic medals to prove it. The guys on the Friday night league she has joined do not care how good she is. They want her gone, she’s a girl and they don’t want her on th ...more
Barbara ★
Billie-Jo Barker has suffered a permanent injury that knocked her out of professional play and she returns home to play on the Men's League since the Women's League isn't up to her caliber. Of course, the men didn't want her to impinge on their "men only" time and fought her tooth and nail. I love that Billie-Jo didn't let the men force her out of the Men's League and stood her ground especially being as she was the best darn player on the team. I liked Logan Forest and liked that he stuck up fo ...more
Applesandpie
WTF?!

I was nearly done reading this book when the most annoying girl-imma-slap-your-face part happened.

Let me start with the good part.

It was nice to see Billie take a stand and show the a--holes that a girl can beat guys, obviously a 2 time gold olympian medalist (or was 3) and pro hockey girl player can. She didn't back down and show weakness from all the insult she received. You go girl!!

That's all. Now the bad parts.

Billie, you SELFISH B-tch! Seriously?!
You still want to play hockey even
Emily
Billie-Jo Barker left home a hockey phenom, only to return at the age of twenty-four injured and unable to play in the pros again. Lost and drifting, Billie-Jo sees that the local town has joined a hockey league, she wants in especially since it is no contact, but the men in the small town of Waterford don't want to play with a girl, especially one who can kick their ass on the rink. Adversity has never been a problem for Billie-Jo and she can run with the punches, but factor in Logan Forest and ...more
Ivy Deluca
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hockey-romance
Free read and I'm glad I picked it up. I enjoyed that the heroine is the hockey player and seeing the struggle she had playing in a mens league. Definitely a good start to a series and I will be reading to see what happens to the other sisters.
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I love a contemporary romance with a hockey hero and Logan Forest is a pretty good hockey player in this book. But when I found very intriguing when I heard about this book, is that Billie Jo, the heroine, is the true hockey star. Billie Jo was so good at hockey, she left her small town and moved to Sweden to play on a professional men’s team that allowed women to play as well. But when she gets a very serious concussion, she comes home, saddened that she is done with professional hockey.

She al
Lisa Hutson
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brand new author to me. You can never be sure what you are getting with them. Big score with this one! What a terrific story. Billie and Logan....She is one in a set of triplet sisters. The three of them are as different as can be. Billie, the tough as nails hockey player. I love tough women. Especially tough women that don't forget they are women. Logan, the tough guy that was in no position to handle such a woman. But he learned. She taught him. And she learned some herself. Really good readin ...more
Danielle Gypsy Soul
This was an a decent read for me but nothing special. I liked the plot of the book and watching Billie try to break into the "mens" hockey league. It was entertaining at first but at some point it seemed to be a bit repetitious when it came to the "the men don't want me in the league" story line. The romance was good but there was a lot of references to the past that weren't all that clear and I never really understood why the relationship was so bad between the three triplets. I don't think I'l ...more
Clare
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Thought it was really good story can’t wait for the rest
FicCentral

At only twenty-four years old, Billie already feels like a has-been. Her professional hockey career in Sweden ended with a concussion, and now that she’s back home, she’s lost. Her sister Bobbi is acting like some kind of Stepford wife, her dad’s dementia tears away at the stability home should offer, and without the sport she’s been living and breathing since she was a child, she has no idea what to do. And then she sees the flyer for the local hockey league.

Logan Forest may have been emotional
Jess
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: 3.5/5

After a career ending injury playing hockey overseas sends Billie home, she can’t give up the game she loves with all her heart. She can’t afford another concussion, but when she sees the chance to play again in a no-contact men’s league, she signs up; much to the entire town’s dismay. The men in town, save for the hero and a few others, and most of the woman have a very extreme reaction to Billie playing with the men. Her car is trashed
Sandy S
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ABOUT THE BOOK: September 2012

Soon, Billie is at the center of a small town battle of the sexes, with everyone choosing sides. Her sisters. The townsfolk. Her frien
Tamecia
Loved it!
Terric853
For a free book, this was great. Billie-Jo Barker has been in love with Logan Forest since she was a kid. She's back in her small Michigan town after two concussions ended her pro hockey career and trying to put her life back together. (She played in a league in Sweden.)

Logan is your typical town-bad-boy-made-good who supports Billie's decision to play in the town's amateur hockey league, something many in the town feel is akin to against nature.

Of course, both are attracted to each other. She'
Britt

I really wasn't expecting much from this book. I picked it up as a freebie, the plot seemed cliche and the cover seemed cheesy.

It wasn't the most wonderful book I have ever read but it was slightly better than my expectations of it (which were rather quite low).

The story was pretty cliche. Billie is a woman trying to play in a man league in a very small and sexist town. Logan is the only one willing to give her a break. Sparks fly, some extremely hot sex follows and all of a sudden emo
Michelle [Helen Geek]
08/17/2013 --

Overall Rating = 3.5 Stars
Book Cover / Book Blurb /Book Title = 3 / 3 / 3 Stars
Writer’s Voice = 3.5 Stars
Character Development = 3.5 Stars
Story Appreciation = 4 Stars
Worth the Chili = 5 Stars -- [$Free on Amazon!]

This is the second book I've read by this author and I liked it. I like her style and I like a sports theme. One thing though ... do you remember an old [very old] television program called "Petticoat Junction"? There were three sisters, a blonde, a brunette and a redhead.
Lynn
The part that is a good fit for me: that the heroine is a strong female and is really good at her sport. Not just good for a girl but really good for anyone. I like that kind of set up.

What makes this not a good fit for me: The chemistry is all physical and not emotional. I don't mind heat and steam but I need more of an emotional connection. I honestly was not the biggest fan of the Hero either.

Note: This book has something that is very common in books but drives me up a wall. All the "good" pe
Christina Montminy
This book was great, it was part of a collection that I had bought. Billie is a triplet & a former Olympic Medal winning hockey player who has come home to lick her wounds after being dropped from her team in Sweden after too many concussions. She runs into Logan the man of her dreams & decides to play in a mens hockey league for 2 reasons...1 because she loves hockey & there's no contact in the league...2 she is still in love with Logan even though he doesn't know she exists(even th ...more
Moon Love
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Holy smokes this book was hot! I love the premise behind the book and there were some twists I did not see coming! Another huge bonus for me is the fact that Billie-Jo is a female athlete. Not just any athlete, but one who has played in the Olympics and as a pro on the world stage. I loved her chemistry with Logan, especially the way she got his attention. I also really liked the glimpses into how a woman playing in an all men's league could result in trouble.

I do wish the book had been longer
Blodeuedd Finland
A girl comes back to her hometown and falls in love. Yes it's that story.

I can't say I like Billie's sisters. The first one is a stuck-up B, the other one just a mean B. But Billie was good. She loves hockey, and now she is back in her hometown and wants to play for fun. Men are being assholes, because they can't stand that a woman is better than them.

So Billie's sisters are not that nice. The men are not that nice. But then Billie meets Logan whom she has been in love with forever. This was the
BookSmacked
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is different from other sports themed stories I read. First the heroine is the sports star and I love that twist. I loved watching Billie Jo determined stubbornness throughout this book. She is a strong woman who was not afraid to stand up to others. I also loved her vulnerability when it came to Logan. I giggled like a school girl during some of their moments. I loved the protectiveness of Logan, it had me swooning.
The storyline of the Barker sisters also has me wanting more.
This o
MountainKat
*4- Stars*

I liked this story, the characters were likable and the pace was good. It was a simpler story, not complex and stirring deeper emotions. But it still worked. I was a little frustrated with both the H and h not being open, upfront and honest, but not too badly. My only real complaint would be that some things were repeated over and over. Again not a huge deal, but enough to notice. It was a new author for me, and I will likely continue to read both this series and other books. Especiall
Caro
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, contemporary
This was a really good book. I loved the characters and their personalities. This was definitely interesting and had great dialog. The plot was great and this definitely has me wanting to read more in this series. I'd definitely like to get to know the 'fam' more and see what happens with the sisters. There was plenty of humor, determination, courage, emotions, and a great ending. Great for an anytime read that leaves you wanting more. Enjoy!
Logan
I love when freebies end up being good! This was a fun story about a female hockey star who is forced to return to her small town after an injury. Family tensions, old flames, and mistaken identities abound and it was a good mix of fluffy romance and deeper issues. I liked how the author wove in the father's illness and gender bias in a way that made the story feel authentic and real. Really enjoyable book.
Oleander
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a nice ho hum sports romance. Well this is a sports romance but nothing ho hum about it. The Barker triplets are crazy - like sordid reality show crazy. Family get togethers are mean. These girls have history. Even so, Billie finds a really nice guy and the sex is hot. Protective padding needed for this read.
description
Romance Readers R...: Group Buddy Read - March 2014- Offside-*Spoilers* 40 91 Apr 02, 2014 12:44PM
  • Hardball (Philadelphia Patriots, #2)
  • Hired (Hot Ice, #1)
  • Taking Charge
  • Playing for Keeps/Body Check (Rules of the Game, #1)
  • Player's Ultimatum (Hands Off Series #1)
  • Free Agent (Mustangs Baseball, #0.5)
  • Dangerous Race (Adrenaline Highs, #1)
  • It's In His Kiss
  • Cross My Heart (Landry, #2)
  • Kiss Me
  • Stealing Home (Diamonds and Dugouts, #1)
  • Carter's Treasure (Racing to Love, #1)
  • Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)
  • Pretending He's Mine (Caught Up in Love, #2)
  • Second Chance Romance (Up in Flames #1)
  • Jake (California Dreamy, #1)
  • Inappropriate Thoughts (Victoria Wilde, #1)
  • Sweet Spot (Richmond Rogues, #5)
USA Today bestselling author and 2015 RITA® winner JULIANA STONE fell in love with books in the fifth grade when her teacher introduced her to Tom Sawyer. A tomboy at heart, she splits her time between baseball, books, and music. When she’s not singing with her band, she’s thrilled to be writing young adult as well as adult contemporary romance—books that have garnered starred reviews from Publish ...more
More about Juliana Stone

The Barker Triplets (3 books)
  • Collide (The Barker Triplets, #2)
  • Conceal (The Barker Triplets, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Logan ran a hand through his hair as he tried to calm his racing heart. He wanted her on the most basic level that a man could want a woman, but it was so much more than that. It wasn’t just about sex and the need to be inside her so badly it hurt—it was all the other stuff to. The need to matter. The need to be selfless.
The need to love.”
8 likes
“They had an audience. A furry, purring little thing who flicked a crooked tail back and forth while holding out a paw to be licked. A cat with one eye. An eye for porn.” 2 likes