Start by marking “Reservations for Two” as Want to Read:
Reservations for Two

Reservations for Two

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It's getting hotter in the kitchenTilly Milek almost has it all. She's opened her own Chicago restaurant, the way she'd always dreamed, and it's this close to being a success. Even better, she's met Dan Meier—a gorgeous man who loves food as much as she does. He isn't put off by her demanding job, which only makes her want to spend more time with him.

But a scathing review
Published February 5th 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Reservations for Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reservations for Two

A. Bookzilla.
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a 3.5+, because while I ultimately liked it, I just can't ignore the fact that I struggled through parts of it.

The book is filled with wonderful food, and yeah, if the author's intention was for the reader to get hungry while reading this, then she succeeded. The things I would do for that cinnamon roll right now...

There were many things I liked about this. First being the relationship between Dan and Tilly. See, they don't just jump into a whirlwind romance, their relationship d
Janet Lohmann
I really gave Jennifer 4.5*.

I want the readers to know that Jennifer is my daughter, however, I'm really really picky about the books that I read.

I liked this book because: The tour of Chicago through food (I love the City of Chicago); the mystery of the saboteur; Tilly's effort to please her customers; the time frame that it took Tilly to trust; the fact that Tilly did not jump into a relationship; the descriptions of the families (all families have some issues although I wondered why Dan and h
Carrie
This book should come with a warning label: Don't read while hungry. This book might make you want to make reservations for dinner. Do not go to grocery store directly after reading this book.

I didn't know what half the food were in the book since I'm not familiar with Polish cuisine, but I still wanted to try everything. If Babka was a real place I'd be there in a heartbeat...if I lived in Chicago!

Caveat: I know Jennifer Lohmann and I think she's great! But, in all fairness, if I hadn't liked h
Dabney
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

Dear Ms. Lohmann:

(Dabney's disclaimer: I know Jennifer and occasionally attend a book club she runs.)

I'd wanted to read this book for quite some time. Jennifer Lohmann entered Harlequin's "So You Think You Can Write" contest in 2011 and was offered a contract. I'd met Jennifer earlier in that year when I interviewed her about being chosen as RWA's Librarian of the Year. Since then, I've gotten to know Jennifer through a Roman
Zoe
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked:
1. Tilly and Dan are well crafted, 3 dimensional characters. And they're NICE, but not perfect. Especially Dan - he had me hooked from the beginning, even when I was pissed at him.
2. The food. OMG.
3. Tilly's blue hair. (That's not a spoiler, she has blue hair throughout the entire book. Shame it didn't make it to the cover)
4. Dan's cast of friends. Especially Mike - I hope that he gets his own book soon.

What I was less keen on:
1. This is no reflection on the author, and more that
"E"
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I struggle with how to rate this book. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but there was something missing and I'm not really sure what. There sure wasn't a lack of description. Actually, I think there was too much description and the book might have been better if much of it had been cut out.

I also had massive problems with the hero and couldn't figure out why on earth Tilly was willing to even give him the time of day after what he'd done. While the author tried to set up a reason why Dan was
Kate Vale
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This combination of a food writer and a chef was a delight. The dialogue was crisp and true to the characters, although I sometimes got lost between the four guys (blogger/writers all) when they were razzing each other. But the hints of recipes were wonderful and had me drooling as if the chef was actually preparing those dishes for me. Kudos to Jennifer Lohmann for making me want to keep reading past the end and on to her next titles, of which I hope there are many.
Patricia
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Disclaimer #1 - I'm friends with the author.
Disclaimer #2 - I really don't like romance fiction as a rule.

So, that being said, I did like the book once I got started. Knowing that it was a romance, and therefore going to end "happily ever after" made it difficult for me to begin. I knew I was going to read it out of loyalty to my friend (and my library, which now owns a copy) but I wasn't eager to dive in.

I felt the premise and story to be believable. More so than some other plots out there - be
Kevin
Jul 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's my first time trying a Harlequin novel, and I must say maybe I expected a lot.

WRITING STYLE:
It's plain. Plain in a way that you can say that it is okay, but not yet entertaining. Narrations and scenes are very imbalance. It is full of inner monologue, so I did not see how the novel is moving forward.

PACE:
It's very slow. I thought the pace of this novel will be somewhat fast because of its shortness in pages, but I am entirely wrong. I believe this can be written in twenty pages complete w
Alix
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I wanted to love this book. When I started it, I did. I love the setting, I loved Tilly and was intrigued by Dan but as the story progress, it went down hill for me. I just honestly found Dan to be a douche. I didn't like the way he pursued Tilly and forcibly inserted himself into her life after the reveal. While ultimetaly it's revealed why he is the way he is, it was too little too late.

(view spoiler)
Ambrosia
Feb 24, 2015 marked it as skimmed
I don't remember why I had originally put this on my TBR list. Unfortunately I cannot get over the fact that the "hero" is a blind, egocentric, immature, unethical reviewer. He insists that he cannot retract his review, when - by his own standards as stated on his blog - he should never have written the review to begin with. By reviewing a restaurant he had only been to ONE time when he promises on his blog that he only revises restaurants he visits we least THREE times, he violates his own rule ...more
Brianne
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I think what I liked most about this book is that the location was so different. We are thrust into Chicago and the world of fine restaurants and reviewers. These were all very different to me and i learned a lot. I liked the interplay between Tilly and Dan and the fact that the conflict they were dealing with was real and relevant - it felt to me that this situation could happen in real life and was drawn very well. I like Dan a little more than Tilly. He had to grow and noticeably change and c ...more
Irene
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I got this book through a Goodreads giveaway, as a First Read.
I liked it and if possible, I would probably give it 3.5 stars. It was enjoyable, but I was missing something. Even though I basically read it in one sitting, it wasn't because I couldn't put it down and I wasn't pulled in by the story, probably also because I didn't have a very high opinion of Dan for his actions in the beginning of the book or understood Tilly for even giving him a chance after finding out the truth.
The food sounded
Writerlibrarian
Again, the food saves the book for me. That and the obvious love of the author for Chicago and Polish cuisine. The heroine is strong, smart, driven, good at what she does. She unfortunately doesn't deserve the hero, who is a douchebag.

He kinda redeems himself somewhat but he is still a douchebag and kinda of a stalker. I didn't like the male character at all. The point of view waves a bit from Tilly to Dan in the same page which makes it a bit awkward at times. The good parts are the restaurant
University of Chicago Magazine
Jennifer Lohmann, AB'01
Author

***
From the author:

It's getting hotter in the kitchen. Tilly Milek almost has it all. She's opened her own Chicago restaurant, the way she'd always dreamed, and it's this close to being a success. Even better, she's met Dan Meier—a gorgeous man who loves food as much as she does. He isn't put off by her demanding job, which only makes her want to spend more time with him.

But a scathing review by an anonymous local critic puts everything in jeopardy. Worse, her steam
Grace

There was a lot going on here that I liked, which ultimately balanced out the things about this I wasn't quite as crazy about. Dan's stubbornness about not rewriting the review/acknowledging that he'd made a mistake was frustrating, but the way his friends kept giving him crap about it made it a little bit better. Tilly was a delight, and the fact that this was set in a city and had baseball as a thing also helped.

I felt like this was average at best in terms of overall writing quality,
Doreena
** I was given a copy by the author**

Absolutely LOVED this one! That is saying A LOT because I usually don't care for a lot of the romance books. This one doesn't read like a romance. It's more like you are reading about Tilly and Dan's lives. Ms. Lohmann does a fantastic job of creating characters that you feel close to.

The trials that Tilly and Dan endure were entirely believable and quite frankly a few of them had me laughing out loud! (Poor Tilly).

Definitely worth a read! You won't be sorr
Giedre
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Got sidetracked by this one. I'm not a huge fan of the HQ Super Romance line, but SB Sarah said that Jennifer Lohmann is a really good writer on the DBSA podcast, so I thought I'd check her out. And it's true, Lohmann is a really great writer. The protagonist are really well written. She also did a great job incorporating Polish culture/food into the story. I think Reservations for Two is a really strong romance. I can't say I'll read more of the HQ Super Romance line, but I can definitely say I ...more
Christine Grant
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of the romance genre--meaning I just don't read it--but I love this book. I read it in under two days which is really quick for me. I thought that most of the characters were well written and the food descriptions are sure to please any foodies out there. I must admit that I got confused when reading about a few of Dan's friends and couldn't keep up with who was who. Overall, This book made me rethink my perceptions about romance and is likely to cause me to give like novels a ...more
PointyEars42
The heroine put me in mind of Sookie from The Gilmore Girls! Great book that challenged my prejudice against category romances - the romance unfolded slowly with realistic barriers and featured characters with realistic emotional baggage. Imperfect people falling in love even if it's inconvenient with someone who is perfect for them? With food? Definitely will read the next book about the sister... and maybe others from the Super romance line.
Margaret
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Two disclaimers -- I am not a fan of this genre and Jen is my best friend. That said, I don't like the format of a romance novel, but the characters were well written and I was hooked by the heroine from the first chapter. I loved the descriptions of food and restaurant life. Plus the "mystery" was interesting and the plot well written and nicely paced. As I said to Jen, I was not embarrassed to read this in public or to recommend it to anyone, romance reader or not.
Fedora
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars.

Ms. Lohmann's writing is very easy to read--she's got a wonderful way with descriptions, and her characters are interesting and enjoy a good sense of community.

I did find myself a little frustrated with the hero's stubbornness; that seemed like a bit of a character defect ;) On the other hand, the heroine's willingness to forgive clearly wasn't :D

Will definitely look forward to more of Ms. Lohmann's writing!
Jess
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was pretty delightful. It uses Chicago extremely well and it made me hungry, which is usually what I want from foodie romances. I liked Tilly's family (and we get a sister book!!!) and Dan's family issues were pretty well developed. I thought Dan was sort of underestimating the reasons that Tilly was angry with him, but the relationship actually took time to develop, plus city, plus food. Sold.
Viccy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Full disclosure, I know the author and consider her a friend.
Within the context of a Harlequin Romance, this was a very cute story: girl owns restaurant; bad review ensues; reviewer and girl have a romance. The usual formula. The great twist is the food -- great Polish food with wonderful descriptions. Made me very hungry reading it. Crisis intervenes, someone is sabotaging the restaurant. Charming and fun. A cut way above most Harlequin books.
Amy
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book made me very hungry. I've read about 5 romance novels to date, and in general it is not my genre. In general, though I like a romantic subplot, I don't like it to be the whole purpose of the story and I tend to skim over parts. This was however, my favorite romance novel so far. Not only did I not skim, but I read the whole thing in one day.

Addie Calvitt
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great read! The author does an excellent job developing the characters in this story. I especially enjoyed reading about Tilly and her love of Polish food. The descriptions of Tilly's restaurant, Babka, and the food she prepares has me wanting to travel to Chicago to seek out her restaurant!

I believe this is the first novel by Lohmann, who is a librarian in our area. This is a good read!
Melanie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I finished this book in 1 day. I couldn't sleep, so I just finished it. I have never read a "super romance" so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall I thought the book was fine, don't know that I loved it, but I was quite obsessed with the main characters.
Janice Liedl
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
The hero was more than a little bit annoying and that lasted much too long in the storyline. The mystery element was rather weak but the heroine was truly interesting. She kept me reading when I'd otherwise have put the book down.
Nita Eyster
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great!
Polish food, snarky lead female restaruanture, smart/stupid male food critic, attraction, lie by omission and sabatoge. Romance and love follow suite. Good character developement, awesome fringe friends and FOOD! Whats not to like??
Tasha
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I finished the book today and couldn't have read a book that was any better. It kept me on the hook wondering who was doing all the bad things and then when it came out I was Shocked but I loved it all together.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • Flirting With Intent (The Wests, #1)
  • Grease Monkey Jive
  • All I Have (A Farmers' Market Story, #1)
  • Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)
  • Eye Contact (The Conditioned #1)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Taming of a Wild Child (LaBlanc Sisters #2)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • What Happens Between Friends
  • Geek with the Cat Tattoo
  • Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara, #1)
  • Her Man in Manhattan (Brannigan, #3)
  • A Game with One Winner
  • Prisoner (Werewolf Marines, #2) (Echo's Wolf, # 1)
  • Sated (Fit Trilogy, #3)
Jennifer Lohmann is a Rocky Mountain girl at heart, having grown up in southern Idaho and Salt Lake City. When she’s not writing or working as a public librarian, she wrangles two cats and several backyard chickens; the dog is better behaved. She lives in Durham, North Carolina

Her favorite non-romance books are Wolf Hall and A Country Called Home. She'll read anything Mary Roach writes. Her favori
More about Jennifer Lohmann