Start by marking “Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey (A Downton Abbey Parody)” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
The hit series Downton Abbey, upon which this parody graphic novel is based, has been nominated for 16 Emmy Awards in 2012, including an acting nomination for Brendan Coyle, who plays valet John Bates (a.k.a. Agent Gates). Our book will release in January 2013, in time for the premiere of season 3 in the U.S.While the Granville family dutifully entertain their guests at De ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey

Melki
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Running Devonton Abbey is a Herculean task. Luckily, Jack Gates is up to the challenge. In addition to his normal duties of polishing the Earl of Granville's snuff boxes, washing the pond fish and ironing the telegrams, he's also a member of the SIS Elite Guard; his secret mission is to keep England safe from all enemies. And, as the residents and staff prepare for a visit from Archduke Ferdinand, the intrigue (and fun) grows...

- Which member of the staff will be the next SIS recruit?

- Will Lady
Kelsey Ketch
I love Downton Abbey! I’m a big, die-hard fan. I also love a good laugh, which is good, because Agent Gates and the Secret adventures of Devonton Abbey is a well done combination of the two.

Now, honestly, not all the humor in this parody was exactly my cup of tea. The things that occur and personalities reflected in the characters upstairs is a bit too slap stick for my taste. And in some cases I think they are a little unfair to the actual characters on the TV series. However, some of the refle
Jeffrey West
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will never be able to see Downton Abbey and the characters the same way again.
Oda Renate
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
great parody of downton abbey.
Highly recomended.
Morgan
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Hilarious! I've been a fan of the illustrator since the various paper dolls (especially the Downton ones, with dead Mr. Pamuk as an accessory) showed up on Vulture. So I knew I had to read this. And it was not only funny but a surprisingly fun story. All the parts with "Ethel" and "Cynthia" really killed me. And of course, poor Sweetsy. Every time "Richard" went off on a tangent about Devonton Abbey I could hear Robert Crawley talking about his "life's work".

The best part of this parody (beside
Chris
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This fills a rather odd niche. It's targeted at the Venn diagram of "people who read graphic novels", "people who watch Downton Abbey", and "people who enjoy satirical parody."

The story is great, and the writing and humor in general is perfect (though it does require knowledge of the show in part). What's keeping it from 5 stars is the art. The artist tried too hard to make the characters look like the actual actors, and as a result made a lot of them (especially the women) look more or less ide
Rebecca Huston
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very silly parody of Downton Abbey in graphic novel form. Think a mix of pulp comics and steampunk, with plenty of sly digs at the series. The upstairs are complete nitwits, a ridiculous inheritance clause, and only one of them has a working brain. (I won't reveal who it is, but it's pretty obvious) Downstairs it's all conspiracies. While the art is pretty standard and not very good, but the written bits do have a pretty good bit of humour. Just barely four stars.

For the longer review, please
Rebecca Lunny
Well, this is delightful. I honestly could have read another hundred pages of this and still want more. Undoubtedly, the best parts of this graphic novel parody are the panels that feature Lady Ethel Crawhill talking to her favorite llama, Aloysius.

It's just great. Give it a go if you're already a fan of Downton Abbey. I'm not sure some of the jokes would be as funny without the context of the show.
Emma
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Many jokes will go over your head if you don't watch the show, but otherwise would be a great book for those who haven't. Silly, whimsical, and a great snide commentary on some of the show's more ridiculous story lines.
Elise
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny and clever. The plot itself wasn't my favorite part, but the absurdities of a few characters (the American mother, the Lord himself, and the daughters). They're absolutely ridiculous and it's funny. Easy little read.
Caitlin
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Preposterous and hilarious. Not one of the upstairs cast escapes a roasting, so don't expect to see them acting logically.
Devonton Abbey: it is a silly place.
(It's only a model)

My straight-laced husband laughed even more than I did. I think I saw tears in his eyes at one point.
Linda
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok, not normally what I would read, but was recommended by a Book Nerd and fulfilled one of my
50 categories that I needed. It is a graphic novel, fast to read and a parody of Downton Abbey. I finished it in about an hour.
Bloss ♡
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a bit of silliness.
Lara
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
From my review at PopMatters.com, which includes an interview with the author and artist: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/1...

What’s the logical next step for a hit British period drama after it gets picked up by a major US cultural outlet and rebroadcast to a whole new appreciative audience? Well, besides having printable paper dolls modelled after your characters, of course. Having your story embellished in graphic form is a pretty good indicator of the massive popularity of your show. Eve
Marcie
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Agent Gates and The Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey is a parody for the popular television series, Downton Abbey. Since I'm a huge fan of Downton Abbey, and I love a good parody, I thought I'd give this book a shot. The fact that I don't generally read graphic novels didn't deter me one bit from this book.
Camaren Subhiyah and Kyle Hilton have taken the characters of Downton and given them a twist. Of course this being a parody there are quite a few name changes: Mr. Bates is now Agent Gates,
Nicola Mansfield
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: I love these upstairs/downstairs type of British dramas. However I have not ever watched Downton Abbey as I don't really watch TV these days. The general plot along with the time period and the tongue-in-cheek humour of this book made me think I would enjoy it even though I would miss out on the Downton Abbey links.

And enjoy it I did. I have no idea how the story connects up with Downton Abbey but I certainly enjoyed the insider jokes when it came to class behaviour and mores
Lisa
Just. No.

Yes, I get it. It's a parody of a blockbuster TV show that everyone and their tithed second cousins have either watched or at least heard of. Even TheHusband, who has tends to yawn when other similar shows are on, watches DA for the drama and the occasional backstabbing.

AGENT GATES's purpose, I suppose, is taking the best elements of Downton ABbey, a drawing room mystery, throws in a bit of James Bond action, and pulls the downstairs staff in as secret agents working for SIS.

But it fai
Kara

With the names just slightly changed, and the cluelessness of most of the characters ramped up a few notches, and a Mission Impossible-esque plot thrown in, we get a funny twist on the usual goings on of Downton Abbey.

It’s actually not that much of a stretch to image the staff-as-spies, saving the empire from dastardly Hessian plots while their aristocratic “masters” remain blissfully oblivious. Think Jeeves as secret agent while saving Bertie Wooster yet again from an unwanted engagement and s
Sean Kottke
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great mash-up of Downton Abbey and steampunk spy fiction that I hope continues into an ongoing series. I expected a lot of MAD style parody, and there are plenty such moments to give Downton Abbey fans a chuckle. However, it goes beyond that by weaving a nifty mythology - imagine a League of Extraordinary Downton X-Men - as a backdrop to the televised narrative, much like Thursday Next and Jurisfiction's exploits in the shadows of familiar classic and contemporary narratives. The line ...more
Rachel Alpie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a hilarious take on Downton Abbey that considers what the storyline might be like if some of the characters were actually secret agents. It's also a parody of the show in that it exaggerates the snootiness of the upstairs family. While all of the names have been changed, the way the faces are drawn makes it easy for anyone familiar with the original show to identify familiar characters. Although I enjoyed this book, I had a hard time with the way Sybil and Matthew were mischaracterized t ...more
Aidan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, comicbook
Though it is certainly very silly, I really enjoyed reading this. The book manages to perfectly capture the eccentricities of most of the characters from the show, parodying many of them very well indeed. The portrayals of Bates, Lord Grantham, Lady Sybil and Lady Edith all prove particularly effective with those characters receiving many of the best moments.

The spy yarn used to hang it all together is, of course, ludicrous yet it is still entertaining in its own right and I thought it fit the s
Lindsey Riley
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

My first ever comic book purchase, of course, HAD to be a parody graphic novel of the hit PBS period drama, "Downton Abbey."

In this comic book, secret service agents pose as staff on the Granville estate, thwarting plots against the crown from within the great country house. Each member of the family and staff from the television series make an appearance, and their character qualities, positions, and idiosyncrasies are exaggerated and poked fun at to hilarious effect.

Sometimes random but always
Kami
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
- OMG! This was HILARIOUS! I hope there is more.

- I loved how over dramatic all the characters were. All their personalities were magnified, and it cracked me up!

- I loved the supernatural twist on Downton. It was awesome!

- The illustrations really captured the characters and everything!

- The Dowager Countess's stare was so funny! I laughed every time.

- The play on names and situations were so great!

- I just can't say enough about this book!

- This is a MUST read for Downton Abbey fans!!

- I h
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
What does it say about my literary tastes that I simply can't resist a spy-thriller parody retelling of Downton Abbey starring a steampunk-legged Bates? (Oh, sorry. Gates.) Nothing good, probably, but as I've already widely admitted to reading lots and lots of teen fiction I suppose my credit can't sink much lower. This Andrews McMeel knockoff is hardly brilliant, but it's good for a chuckle or three and was clearly done with a fair amount of love for the series and its characters. Worth a read ...more
Bridget
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
AAAAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Awesome. The only thing I was really missing was a parody counterpart to Isobel Crawley, but I'll get over it. Nevermind, I am already.

But clearly what we really need is a sequel, with more Larson and Kewes.

(view spoiler)
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
If this book had either chosen to be a true parody, or a true spy story, then it might have worked. But combining the two really didn't work well. Both stories have their hits and misses (Hit: Martin (Matthew) and his "lawyering" talk; Miss: Pretty much anything to do with O'Malley (O'Brien), who didn't fit in anywhere). It's a good thing it was a graphic novel - had it been any longer and I would have given up. With so much rich material to choose for a send-up, I was disappointed that little w ...more
Samantha
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Ok first off this is my first true attempt to reading a comic, shocking to many I know. However, found this to be fun “candy” reading. I will admit that I watch the drama series and enjoy it. I would say to those people that are devoted to the TV series and cant separate fun and mockery on some level would most likely not enjoy it. Those that can will have some fun and will the characters in new funny ways.
Ceejay
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed the Downton Abbey series, then this is the graphic novel for you! It really is laugh out loud funny. Even the characters are drawn to look like the actors in the PBS series. Ms. Subhiyah has captured my funny bone in this great parody. It's only 128 pages, so I can't really say much without giving away the story. If you want to get over the horrible death that took place at the end of season three, then pick up this graphic and have a couple laughs. You'll feel better!
Linda
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, fiction
Crimp up your pinky and put your tongue firmly in your cheek for this quick read and fun ride. Downton Abbey becomes Devonton Abbey, the already romantic and unlikely reading man John Bates becomes Agent Gates. Here the downstairs staff are making things happen and the upstairs are pretty window dressing.

I first found this on line as a comic, luckily it's already in published form to enjoy. If you love Downton Abbey this is another great step.
Hilary
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very funny for about one chapter. Unfortunately the second, third and fourth chapters manage to drag on (even though one could read them in an hour). The parody of Downton Abbey is a great idea and the author excels at humorously revising some of the big moments in Downton. Where it falls short is when it tries to develop its own sub-plot. Without it, this would likely be little more than a comic, but with it it becomes a pretty lame graphic novel. Snore.
  • Suspended In Language: Niels Bohr's Life, Discoveries, And The Century He Shaped
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel