Start by marking “In the Tall Grass” as Want to Read:
In the Tall Grass

In the Tall Grass

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  18,497 ratings  ·  1,976 reviews
Now a major motion picture streaming on Netflix!

Mile 81 meets “N.” in this novella collaboration between Stephen King and Joe Hill.

As USA TODAY said of Stephen King’s Mile 81: “Park and scream. Could there be any better place to set a horror story than an abandoned rest stop?” In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after h
Published October 9th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about In the Tall Grass, please sign up.
Melissa Arenson This most definitively isn't my first short story! Did I indicate that somehow? I can't even count the number of short story collections I have read f…moreThis most definitively isn't my first short story! Did I indicate that somehow? I can't even count the number of short story collections I have read from the Oxford collections to the Mammoth Books of.. to collections of flash fiction. So no worries there. I'm a short story devote. This one, however, fell short of expectations. I might say that's unsurprising since my favorite collections tend to be that of Victorian and Edwardian ghost stories. But I do love modern flash fiction as well. (less)

·  18,497 ratings  ·  1,976 reviews

Start your review of In the Tall Grass
Trudi

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A bona fide horror story my friends and Constant Readers, sprouted from the father/son imagination team of Stephen King and Joe Hill. This story is not without its problems (and won't be suited to everyone's tastes). It is ghoulish and a tad gory, and depending on your sensibilities you may be disgusted, even offended. But before it goes there it is a magnificent piece of storytelling steeped in dread and what I like to call, epic creep. One reviewer has l
Trish
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This short story, written by the King of horror (sorry, couldn't resist) and his son, was scrumptious. *evil grin*

America has places so far "out there" that you don't even get cell phone reception. I know, right! ;)
Places where ancient evils can lurk and even something as seemingly mundane as grass may turn out to be about as healthy as calling an armed redneck a dumbass.

The Kings (or the king and the prince, I should say) are very good at making even supernatural elements see
Debra
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story asks the question "What would you do if you heard a child calling for help?" Would you stop and help? Would you stop and call for help? What if a child is calling for help but his Mother is warning you against helping?

In this short story, brother and sister, Cal and Becky, are driving when they hear a boy in the tall grass asking for help. He is lost and can't find his way out. Of course they want to help him, wouldn't you? But wait! The boy's Mother is warning you against helpi
Johann (jobis89)
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can these two PLEASE write a book together?! Great short story... disturbing and gory.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“He wanted quiet for a while instead of the radio, so you could say what happened was his fault. She wanted fresh air instead of the AC for a while, so you could say it was hers.”

Commercial Photography

What can I say? I can say “boy oh boy this was a humdinger of a little thrillride.”

Cal and Becky pull off of the highway to stretch their legs, but could never imagine what would happen next. On their side of the highway is the Black Rock of the Rede
Sandeep
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can a field of grass be scary? Sinister even?

Cal and Becky DeMuth, a brother and sister are driving across the United States to arrange the adoption of Becky’s unborn child. On their way, they hear a child calling from the field of long grass nearby. The child sounds in trouble and the DeMuths believe they can help the child out. Events only get more sinister from that point on.

This short story was written by the dynamic father-son duo of horror, Joe Hill and Stephen King. Seriously though,
Gregor Xane
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The product description for this book wasn't honest, and that kind of ticks me off. The way it's listed on Amazon, it looks like you're going to get a novella-length story written by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill. There is no mention of the fact that the last 25% of the eBook's length is taken up by teaser chapters from King and Hill's forthcoming novels (at the time), Doctor Sleep and NOS4A2, respectively. When the advertisements stuffed into the back amount for 25% of the page count, it ju ...more
Suzanne
Enjoyable short read that only takes a couple hours. It’s disturbing and horrifying, especially since a majority of us would stop and try to find a little boy calling for help from tall grass. Now I can watch the movie adaption that recently came out on Netflix. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Edward Lorn
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In the Tall Grass" is one of the most disturbing tales I've ever read. This is the first Stephen King story, or Joe Hill story for that matter, that actually turned my stomach. The writing is vivid, filled with brutal simplicity that drives the horror home. I didn't feel all that attached to either Cal or Becky, but what Becky goes through in the later part of this short story would crush the heart of any parent. No, not just crush. Decimate.

This is also the first collaboration of father and s
Amanda NEVER MANDY
I found out this story existed because of a not yet released Netflix movie and was excited. I immediately decided I wanted to read it first.

I found out this story existed in a electronic book format and was devastated. I hate that method and do everything I can to avoid it.

I found out this story existed online where I could easily access it and was excited again. I read the story, loved the story mostly (the bit of weird flashback lost me) and was satisfied.

I found out this story existed as a re
Elizabeth Sagan
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in a mood for shorter stories as I'm trying to read at least 52 books this year, since the number I set up at the beginning of 2019 is completely out of reach, and In the Tall Grass came into my life at the right time. I was also feeling a bit guilty for not liking The Institute, but In the Tall Grass cured me. I LOVED IT!!!
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooky-scary, 2019
*3.5/5*

Having already seen the movie, this was definitely easier to follow. However, I liked the elements that were added in the movie adaptation, and kind of wish they had been included in the original story. I’m a sucker for mind bending/time travel-y stuff and I really dug that aspect of the movie. Nonetheless, still a very well written, creepy story. I can tell ya, I won’t be going into any tall grass anytime soon!
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I decided to read this novella before watching the Netflix adaptation.
This is not a new short story.
It was originally published in two parts in the June/July and August 2012 issues of Esquire magazine.
I have never heard of it before Netflix.
This short horror story is very, very vivid, intense and gory.
And extremely well written (and this is not a surprise, after all this is uncle Stevie at his best and showing off his talented son).
I was engaged from the beginning.
I heard bad reviews of
Sumit RK
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King has a knack of writing horror stories set at the most unlikeliest of places and around the most unlikeliest of things/events. This one is easily one of his most disturbing short stories you will read. The story was tense and creepy but it has more about gore than horror. Not for everyone.
exploraDora (Dora Guta)
***4.5 gruesome stars***
Pantelis Andreou
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impeccable short story! Still waiting for a full length book from King and Hill! That would be phenomenal!
Wayne Barrett

4.5

Great collaboration between father and son. The King and his heir work well together.

This was like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon meets The Children of the Corn. I felt claustrophobic while reading this and if I ever hear a kid calling for help from a field like this one, they're screwed.
mina
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It’s a short story so I shouldn’t be disappointed that it wasn’t well developed because it didn’t have time to do that. And I shouldn’t feel cheated that it wasn’t as good as the movie but I am, and the most disappointing thing is that it isn’t a mind-fuck like the movie.
Bradley
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, horror
Great short story.

Ahhh, memories. The good old days of early King, a reminiscence, and a better rendition of what I thought Children of the Corn would be. :)

Good ole Horror.

"Help me!"

Muahahahaha LOVED the limericks. Creepy, gory, and it pushes all the right buttons.
Sean Smart
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very impressive well written scary short story from father and son King
Sam Quixote
A brother and sister driving across Kansas with the windows rolled down hear a young boy calling for help in the middle of a field of Tall Grass. Stopping to investigate, they enter the Tall Grass, become separated, and get lost in the Tall Grass. They can’t get out of the Tall Grass because the Tall Grass is weird and you can never leave the Tall Grass once you enter the Tall Grass. Huh. Tall Grass, eh?

The premise is interesting: a field of Tall Grass that is somehow an evil living thing where
Eliza Rapsodia
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amantes del terror
Shelves: horror
REVIEW IN ENGLISH

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers and I still have a lot of novels to read, so I take my time between each of his works This time I'll talk about a short story he published in 2012 with his son Joe. For those who do not know, Joe uses a pen name because he did not want to rely on his father's fame. Still, eventually it became known that Joe is Joseph Hillstrom, King's eldest son.

This has been quite an experience. Becky and Cal are twins. They have done everything tog
Milica
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie.dorny
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Shock value horror with no shock whatsoever.

I thought with two greats of horror this would be an amazing novella - sadly it falls as flat as the ground the grass is growing on.
Carol
I am a BIG fan of Stephen King, but not so much Joe Hill (yet) having only read two of his novels. I am struggling with a rating on this short horror story perhaps bc I just finished reading POE'S shorts The Pit and the Pendulum:, The Masque of the Red Death, and the really short The Black Cat (which were all GREAT by the way) so this one just kind of fell short (no pun intended) for me.

The book summary and the beginning did draw me in......the deserted rest stop, the abandoned cars, and the cal

Hunter Shea
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending! Dear God.
Melanie (mells_view)
The moral of this story... do not help people you hear screaming from tall grass. Actually, just don’t help people, periodt.

This one is quick, stressful, and ambiguous. K bye.
Obsidian
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Not too much to say about this short story besides there is no happy ending. I am warning you there is no happy ending. Also don't read and eat at the same time. I repeat, don't read and eat at the same time.

King and Hill do a very good job with developing Cal and Becky (Irish twins) and my heart and body hurt for both of them. Becky's story and realization of things that come broke me. Sometimes I need a happy ending King, just saying.

Also I am a terrible person, because if I heard a person cal
Tom A.
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short but horrific tale that effectively channels despair and isolation.

A brother and a sister hear a child’s voice crying for help while driving near a field of grass. They both decide to investigate being the selfless persons they are. (the sister is pregnant!). What ensues is a labyrinthine nightmare, as they find themselves trapped in an endless maze of grass together with the disembodied voices of its near-impossible-to-find victims. And if that was not enough, there is an ominous black
Stephen King Fans: In The Tall Grass 29 327 Mar 20, 2019 10:24PM
Around the Year i...: In the Tall Grass, by Stephen King and Joe Hill 3 23 Apr 10, 2016 10:29PM
For the love of H...: In the Tall Grass 1 18 Dec 04, 2013 02:55PM

• By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain
  • You Are Released
  • Full Throttle
  • Faun
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Dark Carousel
  • 1979 Short Stories: The Way of Cross and Dragon (Study Guide)
  • NOS4A2
  • mums
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Rage
  • The Long Walk
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box