Start by marking “Der Ursprung des Universums : wie Raum, Zeit und Materie entstanden” as Want to Read:
Der Ursprung des Universums : wie Raum, Zeit und Materie entstanden

Der Ursprung des Universums : wie Raum, Zeit und Materie entstanden

(The Science Masters Series)

There is no more fascinating question in all of science than that of how time, space, and matter began. Now cutting-edge researcher John Barrow guides readers on a journey to the beginning of time. With new insights, he draws us into the latest speculative theories about the nature of time and the inflationary universe, explains wormholes and how they bear upon our existen ...more
Paperback, 1, 172 pages
Published 2000 by Goldmann (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Der Ursprung des Universums , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Ursprung des Universums

Start your review of Der Ursprung des Universums : wie Raum, Zeit und Materie entstanden
Dawn
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I understood it while I was reading it...but don't ask me to explain anything.
Inkspill
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Science Masters series, I would not call this an easy read but it was a beginning. When I finished, I had a more understanding about expansion of the universe, singularity, continuance (as it reflected on Einstein’s theory of relativity) and quantum, mostly physics. As a beginner reading this subject, I was not expecting this book to be easy but I was surprised to come away with the little understanding I did. This is a book I would return to, feeling confident I will come away with ...more
May Ling
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Easy to read and def covers the topic. It does cover the origin of the Universe. It does do so in a compelling way. I think there are just a ton of competition in this topic. For that reason, it's hard to give it 5. 4 is a strong rating, though and if you can't be bothered to read some of the larger tombs, I would go to this one.
Ella Catherall
As an introduction to a field of study that encourages you to go and find out more about it, it's a great book. The breadth of content covered is astounding and it really leaves you wanting more. However, there were many times when concepts felt rushed over, particularly in the case of the bit about magnetic monopoles which I've read back over a few times and still don't quite understand. Nevertheless, if you're trying to get into cosmology and you're looking for a few different books to read (I ...more
Marco
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Queste "onde/particelle" si potrebbero paragonare più a delle onde emotive che a delle onde liquide. Se un'ondata di emozione si diffonde nelle nostre vicinanze, ciò significa che è molto probabile che da quelle parti vi sia un comportamento emotivo.
Klaudia
Ciekawa i nawet nie taka trudna, ale średnie tłumaczenie psuje przyjemność czytania.
Charlie Bray
Wish it would have had more intuitive explanations, along the lines of the balloon example/illustration given towards the beginning.
Bogdan Teodorescu
Not that good. Just taking on the major problems of cosmology and discussing them very briefly. Poor
Bob Nichols
Barrow's book is said to be written for beginners. Throughout his book, he lays out issues that engage, but his explanations are often too complex or spare to be clear, resulting in repeated frustration. Still, there's enough to be gleaned from the book to spend time on it. Barrow describes, for example, two theories of time in relation to the creation of the universe (universe created in pre-existent time vs. time that comes into existence with this universe's creation). Elsewhere, he writes so ...more
Simon Mcleish
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on my blog here in October 2000.

Part of a series of explanations of important areas of current science by leading science writers, The Origin of the Universe would be an ideal place for to start for a reader with virtually no scientific background who wants to try to understand something of current thought on the subject. It is concise and simple, admirably written, and has the odd point of interest even to a voracious reader of popular science books. It reminded me
Don
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This was published in 1994 and its been on my bookshelf unread since then. But I'm glad I finally picked it up, even if the science has undoubtedly moved on.

Barrow provides a particularly good explanation of inflation and the critical role it played in the development of the universe. For the first time I got sa glimpse into why the search for WIMPs is so important, and the huge investment in CERN is worth every penny. If we finally do get evidence of the existence the Higgs Bosun th
Jason
It has been sometime since I read this book, and yet I remember clearly my basic response, which was either that the author had failed in trying to explain contemporary cosmology to a literate nonscientist (i.e., me) or that the contemporary cosmology was itself inexplicable, at least to a non-mathematician, and more or less meaningless. I was struck by the relationship between high-energy particle physics and this contemporary cosmology, and how the study of both is resource intense and apparen ...more
Allan LEONARD
There are plenty of science books to explain the origins of the universe. However, Barrow's work is the best for the layman. Barrow's prose is plain English. His explanations of very sophisticated concepts are clear and accessible.

For example, Barrows calmly points out the difference between the universe -- everything that is -- and the visible universe, that finite realm where there has been enough time for light to reach us.

While no degree in physics (or any other scien
L.S.
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, 2009
1.gravitatia e totdeauna si pretudindeni atractiva
2. exista suficienta materie in univers
1+2 => garantia unei singularitati a universului

- trebuie sa acceptam existenta unei rationalitati care depaseste universul material daca vrem sa aplicam legile logicii si ale matematicii

- posibilele istorii ale primei secunde din istoria universului folosesc elemente de fizica testate partial sau deloc!

- big bangul are o predictie corecta a abundentei eleme
James F
Another book on cosmogony. This one was in the Science Masters series; it was very short and oversimplified, and the style is trying too hard to copy Hawking's bestselling A Brief History of Time. It might have been a good choice for a complete beginner when it was written, but for anyone who has read anything else it's too low level a popularization, and of course now it's very out of date.
Duane Bowker
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book from the "Science Master Series", this one focusing on astrophysics and cosmology. Written for the lay reader, it presents the current (as of 1994) state of knowledge concerning the origins of the universe with discussions of superstring theory, dark matter and other possible universes. Some truely mind-blowing stuff!
Rachel
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books for making yourself feel smart and stupid at the same time. Stupid, because it is really hard to understand how time can be a dimension of space. Smart, because you're even making an attempt to understand it in the first place. Really though, I learned a lot. At least, enough to understand most science fiction plots, I think!
Denise
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I bought this book in the mid 90s, it came in a box set with Origin of Humankind and Last Three Minutes. At the time I was still in High School and hadn't had any physics, cosmology, or astronomy. I picked up a few things but I remember finishing and wondering what the heck I'd just tried to put my brain through.

These days, the material is a lot easier and I can better appreciate the contents.
Bob
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clearly written and fully credible. Explained how the evidence was acquired, the questions it uncovered, and what theories were developed to offer plausible explanations. All the while being honest to the problem that there is so little we really know.

This book I will read again, later. It takes time to absorb this information, which I want to understand far better.
Attila
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic, science
The first Cosmology / Cosmogony book I have ever read, back in high school, and that was when I became fascinated with the origin and evolution of the Universe. A good introductory book, even if it is quite dated by now.
Pippa
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This covered some of the same ground as Smoot's 'Wrinkles in Time' and I think I preferred that, but it may have been because I read it first. This helped me reinforce some things I'd learnt from that, and clarify others.
Timothy Finucane
A good book for getting the big overview of cosmology and the big bang, but it may not be as easy to read for beginners as it claims. I did have to re-read a few parts to get a good grasp.
Kelvin Pineda
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview and introduction to early cosmology. I loved it.
David Dube
What?? I waited 50 billion years to discover they really don't know.
Robert Kaufman
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book for the layman, on a very difficult subject. A nice readable book.
Sriteja Yatham
Oct 03, 2015
Jimi Olivo
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2008
Aaron Bacud
Jul 26, 2019
Marta Pawlowski
Aug 07, 2015

• The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do
  • Arts of Wonder: Enchanting Secularity - Walter De Maria, Diller + Scofidio, James Turrell, Andy Goldsworthy
  • Space 2.0: How Private Spaceflight, a Resurgent Nasa, and International Partners Are Creating a New Space Age
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Speaking in Bones (Temperance Brennan, #18)
  • Kwantechizm, czyli klatka na ludzi
  • Bones Never Lie (Temperance Brennan, #17)
  • Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
  • The Adventures Of Monsieur Robinet
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)
  • Our Cosmic Habitat
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World
  • Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100
John D. Barrow is a professor of mathematical sciences and director of the Millennium Mathematics Project at Cambridge University and a Fellow of the Royal Society.

He was awarded the 2006 Templeton Prize for "Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities" for his "writings about the relationship between life and the universe, and the nature of human understanding [w

The Science Masters Series (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • One Renegade Cell: The Quest For The Origin Of Cancer
  • River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality (Science Masters)
  • The Last Three Minutes: Conjectures About The Ultimate Fate Of The Universe