Start by marking “Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence” as Want to Read:
Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence

Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence

Find your signature voice

People are drawn to and influenced by leaders who communicate authentically, connect easily with people, and have immediate impact. So how do you become one of them? How can you learn to “own the room”? This book will help you develop your leadership presence.

According to Amy Jen Su and Muriel Maignan Wilkins, leadership presence is the ability to
Published April 9th 2013 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Own the Room, please sign up.
Peter The motive of the signature voice is to evaluate the tune of mental state of leadership. Leaders must select the use of the concept in order to create…moreThe motive of the signature voice is to evaluate the tune of mental state of leadership. Leaders must select the use of the concept in order to create unity among executives in the organization. You will get a green line from the meeting with the staff because of your good deed. Am Jen Su-Muriel Maignan Wilkins gives us a clue on how to manage the situation. Body move and tune you use at the meeting will effective consequences, this book help me with daily life. I learn a new concept during the short period from this book.(less)
Peter What I have observed from writer is the challenged executive meeting and lack of communication is being a leader as apart of the center of communicati…moreWhat I have observed from writer is the challenged executive meeting and lack of communication is being a leader as apart of the center of communication no excuse laziness. The leader should have self-reflection not pointed finger mistake to somebody while neglecting her or his own. That kind of leader is unwilling to listen for feedback from the executive. The writer admitted that become a big obstacle. This book is very important to shape leaders to be humble and listen to advise from others.(less)

Start your review of Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
Leah
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent book. It basically teaches you to be much more self aware of how you act, behave, and treat other people in a corporate setting. It teaches you to control your emotions and think through things carefully before acting. How your voice sounds to other people and how it effects them.

It's a very situation book which is a good/bad thing because there will be some if not many circumstances that the reader cannot relate to at all yet you still need to read through them. It's a good thing becaus
Michele
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for those who want to develop their leadership presence--that "something special" you see in great leaders, but may have a harder time discovering for yourself. I found the authors' frameworks to be simple enough: signature voice and ACE.

Your signature voice comes from your ability to articulate your value and distinctiveness combined with your ability to connect and align with key stakeholders. ACE is simply a way to better manage your signature voice by 1) checking your Ass
Mohamed Sharara
this a wonderful book teaches you, how you can develop your skills in leadership.
Briana Kelly
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The general concept of this book was good (ACE- Assumptions, Communication and Energy) but I found it quite long winded. There were too many examples and not enough theory for my liking. A book I think I will refer back to, however, so giving it a solid 3*s.
Jay
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
What this seems to be about is the dichotomy between being a "company man" and being an individual, and about how leaders are able to wear both personas at the same time. It seemed sort of like being able to come across as strategic and tactical. The book dives deep into this "one, the other, or both" method of speaking. I got that it is really more a frame of mind the author is talking about. I didn't find this novel, but it works as a reminder that as you move up the ladder in your career, wha ...more
Kanchan Shine
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written book. The authors have introduced different characters through the book and explain concepts from their point of view. This makes readers relate to the content easily and you may find yourself in one of the characters.

Its a good book for people moving from middle to senior level positions. I found some chapters very insightful while I skimmed through the rest.
Rick Yvanovich
Very eye-opening, a very different perspective to communication and presence. Packed with lots of how-to worksheets and reminders that will help you move to signature voice faster and stay there.
Sajal
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: yay-non-fiction, meh
I never know how to rate books such as these - where you already know the content, but it seems nice to be reminded of it?
coolwind
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. It is not on tricks on how to look like a great leader. It is more on the principles by which you can gain the recognition of your leadership by other people. It is on how you tune your mental state for your signature voice - conscious of your own voice and at the same time hearing other people's voice. I would recommend it to anybody wanting to move forward on your career or just having a promotion and wanting to quickly adapt to the new role. It is a must read. ...more
Tami Mayes Long
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every new leader

The authors did an amazing job with explaining the why and how behind developing your very own signature voice. The appendix has solid tools which consolidates the information for the reader. I wish I had found this book earlier in my management career. From day one I was able to apply the concepts from this book. I have truly grown as a leader because of their strategies. I finished the book really fast and will read it again and again.
Lauren
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book helped me think through how to step up my leadership presence at work. I found the "voice for self" and "voice for others" frameworks to be insightful in helping diagnose my own strengths and weaknesses. I've already recommended it to multiple colleagues so Amy Jen Su is definitely onto something. I do wish there were a summary section at the end of each chapter though—that would be more tactical than having to skim this book again.

One note: I like Audible for nonfiction, but the narr
Scott
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Without effort, we return to driving, passive or supportive role. This book explains how to develop your personal signature voice, a combination of your own voice and other voices to become a better leader. Effective for small meetings or large presentations. A must read for any manager, supervisor or leader.
KK Ananth
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to develop executive presence

Relevant examples, specific frameworks to develop signature voice and executive presence. Enjoyed reading the book! I like the fact that it covers how to develop these skills as a leader as well as how to coach and build teams that operate with signature voice.
Chris
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help, business
I listened to the audio book and I was not impressed. I did not like the narrator and believe the authors or publisher or producer made a poor choice here.

The book centers around A.C.E. which means Assumptions, Communication, and Energy and the book used only two case studies which I believe to be weak.

I cannot recommend this book and it did not hold my attention.
Layla Revis
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid book for digging into finding your own voice and learning what/how you communicate with others at work. I didn’t give it more stars because I felt like it proved the point half way in. That said, it’s a great book for looking at oneself; our actions and how we often need to re-adjust our communication to get to the next level without losing the personal style that got us there.
Charles Cohen
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
For the first 40-50 pages, I didn't think much of this book. It seemed like a a bunch of empty platitudes.

Fortunately I kept reading.

The best thing about this book is how practical it is. The exercises, the tookit at the end - this was tremendously helpful, and one of the few professional development books I'll return to again and again.
Andy Doyle
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking to raise your presence at work, in meetings, or just in conversations, this is a great resource. There’s lots of examples, and a number of drills. I used two of the drills ahead of meetings and felt the meetings were much more productive. Highly recommend.
Thiago Ghisi
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real-life examples, super actionable.

Just loved how actionable this book is and how much I could relate to John and Terry throughout the book. The self-discovery drills are enlightening and the ACE model is a excellent way to break down what an authentic presence really is.

MrSocrat
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am that much into personal development book. As I think most of them sell what is you already know but they put it in a new mold so it appears in a new shape.

I liked it but I felt it is repeating the ideas over and over.
Missie Dunn
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a good and thoughtful leadership book. However, I think reading and implementing these recommendations independently would be difficult. Seems to me that 360 feedback or insights from peers, leaders, others would be essential to getting the most from this book and the exercises.
Michał Węgrzyn
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Simple concept nicely wrapped in examples and questions for the reader.
Target audience is a bit specific, this book is targeted towards mid to senior leaders.
Worth a read and added to my re-read list.
Britta
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally related to this and found it so helpful!
Darrin Edwards
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I guess I wasn't ready for this book yet. I found myself disconnected and the content irrelevant to my life. ...more
Ahmed Abdalla
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a good book for those who want to develop their leadership and to leave good impression about you in your company and with your team
Linda Lioun
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I listen to it through Arabic audiobook
Mary Danoura
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: like
I liked the book, read the translated version of it, and it was great
Kim
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I liked the authors’ ACE framework to help people develop their signature voice. Lots of tools are included.
Peter
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
what is the requirement from leadership? What is a challenge from the leader as each community in families you are the leadership? Start from home to a large community that does recognize matter. You will be able to lead the community. Let us take an example: from two characters John and Terri use talents to maintain a signature voice through the challenge. We hope the author of this book shows us the right direction with a clear connection to the business with all aspects of life.
Susan Terry
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I used the principles outlined in this book during a very contentious meeting, watching everyone's body language vs. their words. It was amazing to observe. I highly recommend this book for your own self-awareness and to hone your skills at observing those around you. ...more
Eva
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Own the Room presents the concept of developing and using your "signature voice" in becoming a better leader in the workforce. The book emphasizes the necessity of knowing your style, both strengths and weaknesses, communicating and connecting with those around you and creating "presence". Although I agree with the concept, I am not sure that the book actually helps in achieving these goals. Many real life examples are presented, yet left me more curious as to "how" and "what" they learned and i ...more

• What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life
  • Raising Men: Lessons Navy Seals Learned from Their Training and Taught to Their Sons
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • ‫100 قانون حصين لنجاح الأعمال‬
  • Brave New Work: Are You Ready to Reinvent Your Organization?
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Executive Presence: What Nobody Ever Tells You about Getting Ahead
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • How to Communicate Like a Buddhist
  • حلة النقيب
See top shelves…
For almost two decades, Amy Jen Su has worked with CEOs, executives, and rising stars in organizations to sustain and scale their best as they lead organizational growth and transformation. She is Managing Partner and Co-Founder of Paravis Partners, a premier executive coaching and leadership development firm.

Amy is the author of  The Leader You Want to Be: Five Essential Principles for Bringing O