Start by marking “Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad” as Want to Read:
Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad

Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

2013 Mom's Choice Awards® Winner

MEN: Ever wonder about stay-at-home dads? What in the name of testosterone do they DO all day with those kids? I mean, are they really men at all, or are they some strange, invasive alien species, sent to Earth to defy and destroy all gender stereotypes?

WOMEN: Ever dream about stay-at-home dads? Do they really wash clothes, pick up after the
Published April 2nd 2013 by Spry Publishing LLC (first published March 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal

Chris Karpovich
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book from start to finish. Anyone with kids or planning to have kids should read this book, as it will put a lot of things into perspective for you. Obviously, this book is also a must-read for anyone in the diabetes community as well. The individual stories are well put together and the book has a tremendous flow to it. You will laugh, you may cry and you'll definitely take a hard look at some things after reading this book.
Barb Wagstaff
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is NOTHING like what I expected. What did I expect? I don’t know but I should have been warned of a few things before starting.

First I should have been warned NOT to read this book in public. There are too many times that Scott’s writing evokes either tears or laughter or both. This can be embarrassing and hard to explain when reading in public places. Second, I should have been warned that this dichotomy of emotions would start within the first 20 pages and continue for the entire boo
Katherine
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scott's hilarious. This book is really approachable -- it feels like Scott's sitting down with me and complaining and celebrating and just sharing. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I can only imagine how much it'd resonate with readers that did, and even for me, I found myself laughing and crying as I read. When Scott talks about Arden's diagnosis of T1 diabetes, or about playing baseball with Cole, I really felt what he was feeling -- he's a great storyteller. More than anything, thou ...more
Christine Covino
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Being a fellow 'stay at home', this book validated my feelings on so many levels! I found myself saying out loud, YES! THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT! I rode a roller coaster through out loud laughter, head shaking sadness, and tears of empathy. I've recommended this book to so many people and I highly recommend it to you!
David Ozab
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
When I made the decision to stay home and take care of our daughter Anna, I had no real guide to what I was doing. In 2006, the image of a stay-at-home dad had not progressed much beyond the Hollywood portrayal of the laughably incompetent “Mr. Mom” cliche.

Well, a lot has changed in the first seven years of my daughter’s life. Stay-at-home dads are more commonplace and more accepted as people see we actually can care for our children most of the day without losing them, starving them, or serious
Kristin
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely wonderful book. There are moments that make you laugh, moments that make you go "Aww," and yes, moments that in a way make you sad. In those moments though, the author provides a larger perspective on the situation that removes the initial sadness (and there are only a handful of moments). The author has a great perspective at the larger picture. I can't select a specific moment in the book as my favorite. Although the making of his children was a little tmi, I still smiled an ...more
Isabelle
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book through the Goodreads Givaways. And I'm SOOO glad that I did! I loved the way the author gave a real insight at his life and the everyday struggles that parents go through, even with perfectly healthy children... But I can only imagine what it must be like with a diabetic child. As a parent, it broke my heart to read of Arden's diagnostic, and I will definitely be following Scott's blog from now on! A MUST-READ for everyone who have, or plan on having children.

a little construct
Nicole
Shelves: own
I received a free autographed copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. I absolutely loved this book. I think everyone should read this book. This book isn't just for parents or soon-to-be-parents or women but everyone. This book has some great parenting tips as well as great life tips. I think one reason this book is so great is a lot of people will be to relate to Scott. He wasn't born into the perfect storybook family and didn't have the perfect storybook life, he knows how crappy life can ...more
Tracy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I would actually give this a 3.75. (I don't round things up. It's a weird defect I have.) The title of this book caught my eye at the library and I thought it would be a fun read. I figured a stay-at-home dad would have a different perspective on staying at home and I hoped that he would be funny. He was funny, but he was also much more open and emotional than I expected.
The last part of the book deals with how he and his wife cope with their daughter's Type I diabetes. I knew that this type of
Brian Hurst
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a little biased. I have known Scott for over 20 years. I was amazed with his talent as a writer. I always know that he was a creative person, but never in a million years thought he would be a published author. There were stories in this book that I knew, and others that I didn’t. I enjoyed them more knowing what was going thru Scott’s head as they happened. I don’t think that I could have the dedication and determination that it takes to be a stay at home dad, and I work from home. This is ...more
Pantea
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fast read filled with wonderful stories of parenthood and the many challenges/joys that go with the territory. The author writes a very moving auto-biography from a mostly lighthearted perspective. Loved that there were so many laugh-out-loud sections. I was most captivated by the chapters surrounding his daughters diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. Having worked with pts/families that manage this disease for 15+ year, I am always touched and in awe of the home challenges that we clinicians don't s ...more
Marjorie
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Right from the opening chapter I was hooked. It felt like we were sitting down together on the sofa chatting…..about our mutual dislike for laundry. And this was the tone for the rest of the book, like old friends chatting about life, work, family, values and history.

To me, his underlying messages are to learn from your mistakes, communicate, and just love your family. Don’t just walk away if the going gets tough, that “if you stay until the end, the good parts will far outweigh the bad ones”.
Nicholas
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Started off weak but ended so very powerfully.
I picked up this book never even knowing it was in anyway related to Type 1 Diabetes, and was startled to find it to have such a powerful description of life with the disease. The book measured as a whole only discusses diabetes briefly, but the effect of those relatively brief sections influence profoundly the book as a whole. I'm sure there's a metaphor there somewhere.
Kelli Stephenson
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very honest look into parenting. I can relate to every bit of it as a stay at home parent myself, but especially enjoyed his chapters about Arden and her diagnosis. He was able to put into words what every parent of a type 1 diabetic feels upon diagnosis and then every day thereafter. I hope I can learn to function on 4-5 hours of interrupted sleep, too! Laundry does suck, no matter how you slice it.
Kassie
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've just spent the last 6 hours or so reading what I consider to be one of the best non-fiction books ever written. Once I opened it up and began reading, I couldn't put it down until I reached the end - even while I was cooking my dinner I had it in my hand. What an absolute pleasure to read. I don’t think I can put into words just how much I enjoyed this book.
Jess
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING! I couldn't put it down. I can't even find enough good words to say about it. Scott is funny, honest and straight forward. Buy this book and read it so we can support Scott in being able to write more books just like this!
Katie
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is entertaining, informative, funny and powerful. It is great for both men and women. I read it in one day, I couldn't put it down. I am recommending it to all my friends. Can't wait for the next one!
Amanda Turner
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a joy to read! I love the humor, the respect for both moms and stay at home parents, and the honesty of what that means and to have a child with T1D. I look forward to your blog and future books!
Angie
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that has something to offer everyone. I could relate on many levels and even took away some good advice. Thanks Scott for a great read.
Barbara
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Felt like I was sitting with Scott and having a chat. He made me laugh, but most of all he made me reflect on my own family.
Samantha
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and poignant look at life with spouses, children...
Cherise Shockley
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book from beginning to the end. Scott has a way of making you laugh and cry.
Gaynor Baker
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
It was an easy read - different to read the stay at home dad's view - especially in a crisis!

Jillian
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have mixed reactions to this book, arising partly from its own identity crisis. It's marketed as a humor book, and unfortunately it's simply not that funny. Never was I tempted to laugh out loud, and many of the familiar themes (the Sisyphean housework, the minute-by-minute breakdown of a harried parent's day) I've seen handled much better elsewhere. It's not really one of those instructional parenting books either (even though he has that awkward paragraph where he claims to offer mothers "pe ...more
Brandi D'angelo
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very fast read...funny and full of some good advice. The only thing I didn't care for were the couple of chapters that he chose to kind of slam his wife a little. I mainly read this book because the author's daughter has diabetes (and so does my son.) My favorite quote: "Being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes presents an immediate and monumental shift in a caregiver's focus. It doesn't allow for you to get acquainted with your new life. You can't decide to start on Monday, like a diet." Well sai ...more
Saira
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: type-1
One of Scott’s greatest talents (aside from performing the tasks of a pancreas day in and day out), is his knack for communicating his mind (his wife might not agree). I feel like I know him (hence the first name reference) after listening to his podcast for quite a while and now reading his book. As someone that is part of the DOC, I kind of wish there was a little more about life with Type1, but I know that wasn’t the premise of the book and can’t be too disappointed.
Sukhraj
Leighann
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Chronicles of a Full-Time Father
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • She Looks Just Like You: A Memoir of (Nonbiological Lesbian) Motherhood
  • Women are Scary: The Totally Awkward Adventure of Finding Mom Friends
  • Whispers Through Time: Communication Through the Ages and Stages of Childhood
  • Slow Family Living: 75 Simple Ways to Slow Down, Connect, and Create More Joy
  • Who Peed on My Yoga Mat?
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
  • Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom
  • Catastrophic Happiness: Finding Joy in Childhood's Messy Years
  • Too Many Cooks: 4 Kids, 1 Mom, 102 New Recipes
  • KiDS FiRST Diabetes Second: tips for parenting a child with type 1 diabetes
  • Until There is a Cure: The Latest and Greatest in Diabetes Self-Care
  • Raising Teens with Diabetes: A Survival Guide for Parents
  • Mitten Strings for God: Reflections  for Mothers in a Hurry
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
Scott Benner is a stay-at-home father, a diabetes advocate, and a keen observer of the human condition. He has spent the last twelve years raising his two children at their family home in New Jersey.

Scott shares his triumphs and challenges in parenting a child with type 1 diabetes on ArdensDay.com, an inspirational blog for parents and caregivers of children with diabetes. His first book, Life Is
More about Scott Benner