Start by marking “1Q84 (1Q84, #3)” as Want to Read:
1Q84 (1Q84, #3)

1Q84

(1Q84 #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  24,393 ratings  ·  1,907 reviews
An alternate cover for this isbn can be found here.

Book Two of 1Q84 ends with Aomame standing on the Metropolitan Expressway with a gun between her lips. She has come tantalisingly close to meeting her beloved Tengo only to have him slip away at the last minute.

The followers of the cult leader she assassinated are determined to track her down and she has been living in hi
Published August 2nd 2012 by Vintage (first published 2010)

·  24,393 ratings  ·  1,907 reviews

Sam Quixote
SPOILERS

My first response to finishing the book was "Thank God that's over", my second was "how could Murakami have screwed it up so badly?". The second book ended dramatically and, maybe even artistically, with Aomame standing before the portal that took her to 1Q84 with a gun in her mouth and Tengo beside the comatose body of his abusive father awaiting anything. Well, Book 3 begins with Aomame taking the gun out of her mouth and going home and Tengo continuing his solitary vigil over his fath
Ahmad Sharabiani
1Q84 Book 3 [Ichi-kyū-hachi-yon], Haruki Murakami
1Q84 is a dystopian novel written by Japanese writer Haruki Murakami, first published in three volumes in Japan in 2009–11 (Books 1 and 2, was published on October 18, 2011, followed by the second volume, containing Book 3, published on October 25, 2011.). It covers a fictionalized year of 1984 in parallel with a "real" one. The novel is a story of how a woman named Aomame begins to notice strange changes occurring in the world. She is quickly en
Toby
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
“Life is not like water. Things in life don't necessarily flow over the shortest possible route.”

In my review of books 1 & 2 I said "I'm very much looking forward to finding out if anything gets resolved, if anything starts to make any sense at all, if the star crossed lovers find happiness, what exactly it is that the Little People have planned and the answers to any number of other fascinating and intriguing questions that have been posed throughout, but then if the general theme so far is
Rahaf
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haruki-murakami
Many times trying to not end it quickly..
I'm getting terrified if I finish , I will loose the joy of reading this novel .
My dear book and friend,
Goodbye.
Sotiris Karaiskos
In the third part we reach the end of the mystery ... or maybe not. The truth is that we get some answers that help us make some sense of everything we read, but the author wisely chooses to leave us with a lot of gaps to cover with our imagination. Above all, however, it is important that the end is really wonderful and very touching. (view spoiler)Of course, as expected, it is an end without tension, although ...more
Tracey
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well first off I want to say how proud I am to have finished this whopper of a trilogy, a massive 1260 pages especially as it was during my yearly summer reading slump, or rather summer not reading anything at all usually.
So Thank you Haruki Murakami for kicking that out the window.

I was intrigued by this book from the start. I loved the characters of Aomame and Tengo who in the first 2 books narrate the story 1 chapter each alternately throughout. I like this way of telling a story from 2 pers
Erik3003
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, jpn
Book 3 of 1984 starts with a surpise when you look at the table of contents: Ushikawa !?! It seems almost sacrilege to see his name amongst the chapters about Tengo and Aomame.

But it turnes out this is really a touch of genius by Murakami, because it really brings some speed to this long novel and after a while I must confess I actually started to like the poor bastard.
Vanessa
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
FINALLY I have completed 1Q84, after having it sitting on my shelf for probably over 2 years. I have a thing about big books - I love the feeling of accomplishment after completing them, but trying to actually read them in the first place is where I get stuck because I have that big book fear.

I finally picked up Book 3 of 1Q84 this month, after finishing Books 1 & 2 all the way back in June when I was doing the #JapaneseJune project with Sabrina, Colleen, and Mercedes. Unfortunately even tho
Kaitlin
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haruki Murakami is a brilliantly strange writer and this is the first story I ever attempted by him. I actually ended up reading the first two parts about a year and a half ago and I was introduced to a weird yet magical world of unnatural moons, peculiar characters and odd little people. Whilst reading the first two parts both mystified and intrigued me, it wasn't overly satisfying and I needed to know what was going to happen next. Luckily I decided to pick this book up when my friend, Vanessa ...more
Chaunceton Bird
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality, satisfying conclusion to an epic story. The effort Murakami puts into character development throughout this epic novel pays off in this final book. I felt for each of the characters, even the antagonists, and wished for their well-being.

Also, hats off to the translators who provided such a rich translation. If I were told this novel was originally written in English by one of the most talented English authors among us, I'd believe it.
yolanda;
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so let's see: I changed my rating to only two stars. I feel bad about it. Because I'm certainly fond of Tengo and Aomame and Fuka-eri, but the story of book 3 was just unnecesary.

Most of the book was nothing happenning. At first I was bored with Ushikawa pov because it didn't contribute in anything to the story. Absolutely nothing. But then, I started being bored with Tengo's pov too. Because, honestly, what did Tengo do in Book 3? Absolutely nothing again. And I miss Fukaeri like hell. S
Taka
Not over yet?--

Book 3 is uneven. Some parts are mediocre and unnecessarily lengthy and other parts awesome. At least in one part - specifically from p. 379 to p. 381 - Murakami seems to make a novice's howler by jarringly and suddenly moving from a limited omniscient POV to an omniscient POV. This might be because this book is the first time Murakami writes in multiple perspectives, but I thought that temporary change in POV was clunky and unartistic.

One glaring deficit in Murakami's works that
Luís C.
That's it, I got to the end of the third volume as long expected and I feel a great emptiness because I feel that the author can not leave his readers like that. Certainly the end is it is more open and leaves the reader wander in every possible direction but in fact, there is still too much to say to discover ...
In this third installment, the player sees appearing a third main character, Ushikawa, who engaged in the pay of forerunners, is responsible for finding Aomame, the murderous leader. Th
Veronika
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book leaves you off wanting more. It's special. Just as so many of Haruki Murakami's books, this one envelops you in an extraordinary atmosphere, where you feel so close to the characters. It's a touching, but at the same time an exciting story. Once you start reading it, you simply don't want to put it down. Even though my edition probably weighed about a ton (because it included all of the 3 published parts), I still carried it around everywhere until I finished it.

To me it's hard describ
The final part of this trilogy.

2* Yesterday
5* The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
4* 1Q84
TR After the Quake
Makiko
very different ending from other murakami books--it was too clean and simple. compared to books 1 and 2, the ending was disappointing. there better not be a book 4.
Tony
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel a sense of achievement. I’m not entirely certain that I feel much else to be honest.

There are a considerable amount of books of which I’ve had to struggle through – determined to reach the end but not experiencing any sense of real enjoyment. This was not one of those, I loved the writing and largely, the story. But….

OK. I enjoyed it and, I’m sure that if I gazed into the sky tonight, I’d see two moons.
Michiel
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the second book of the series was somewhat disappointing this one is at least as good as the first one. It is rarely one grows to love book characters but after reading these books you can never forgot Aomame, Tengo and Ushikawa (I really liked Ushikawa became a full-fledged after his (first?) appearance in the Wind-up Bird Chronicles.
As usual with Murakami, don't expect to have an answer on all your questions.
Kate

Just.

Wow.

I have no words.
SAM
If you haven’t read Book 1 or Book 2 and don’t wish for the plot to be spoiled then look away now.

Aomame is now in hiding after killing ‘Leader’ and realises the only way for her life to be complete is to find Tengo and leave the parallel world of 1Q84. Tengo is still in ‘cat town’ visiting his comatose father whilst keeping in touch with the bizarre Fuka-eri who, unfortunately, barely features in Book 3. On their trail is the aesthetically unfortunate Ushikawa hired by the cult to find Leader’s
Ana
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel so much like any other character right now (especially Tamaru), without having all the answers, but only the main idea with few logic suppositions, despite all of this accepting reality as it is after some time (e.g I still think that Tengo's father killed Ayumi).
By the way: *sob sob*.
Pamela
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's only a paper moon🌔
Patrick
I can't decide quite where I sit on the subject of magic realism. There have been books that could be described as magic realist that I have quite enjoyed, including, I think, some previous Murakami. Other times though, I just find that it leaves me wanting to throw the book at the wall. That 'magic realism' is just a fancy literary term for 'getting away with any old nonsense'.

To be honest, a 1,000+ page Murakami novel would probably normally be something I would pass on. But my mother was keen
Lisa
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, kindle
Of all the books longlisted for the Man Asian Literary Prize that I’ve read so far, 1Q84 is the most problematic for me. Unlike the rest of the Known World, I’ve never read Murakami before, so I can’t compare this book with his previous work or put it in context with his literary oeuvre. That’s a problem, with an author so well-known…

On the other hand, I come to the book with no Murakami baggage, and no expectations. And expectations there were aplenty, apparently, and alongside the rave review
Amena
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SENSATIONAL.
Melanie
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book. Period. Let your suspension of disbelief do its thing and enter the world(s) of Tengo and Aomame. Engrossing.
Mert Özenç
not sure to recommend it to somebody.
after more than 1200 pages, what you have is:
-too many repititions of character descriptions (million times expressed misshapen heads and incompatible-sized breasts..etc),
- adolescent-level sexuality (in order to catch your attention and wake you up)
-interspersed mysteries which holds you reading (parallel universes, little people, pregnancy without fertilization -quite familiar best seller(!)-...etc)
- unnecessarily long side stories which go nowhere (like
Susy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Ok, third book finished and I'm still not quite able to describe why I like it so much (the fantasy elements perhaps?) but at the same time something is holding me back from giving it 5 stars (the emotionless yet elaborate description of the sex scenes which in my opinion don't add to the overall story?) Also the open end didn't leave me satisfied. I still have a lot of questions (view spoiler)
Literary Han Rodgman
Incredible.

This conclusion was superbly written and I am so pleased that I read the entirety of this book again . Loved it xoxo
Marina Morais
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I don't even think this book is worse than the first, which I rated 3 stars. But it's the last book of a trilogy that brings more questions than answers, as repeatedly stated throughout all three installments. I haven't felt this disappointed since I finished "A Series of Unfortunate Events". Actually, I wasn't exactly disappointed this time, considering that I had basically lost hope since Book 2...

I don't get it. Murakami is a good writer, but even his writing is irregular in this trilogy. The

• Amore
  • Strangers
  • Ikebukuro West Gate Park
  • L'abito di piume
  • The Eighth Day
  • Nếu gặp người ấy, cho tôi gửi lời chào
  • 手紙
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Quicksand
  • The Briefcase
  • Japan Sinks: A Novel about Earthquakes
  • The Decay of the Angel
  • Kanikosen. El pesquero
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am

1Q84 (3 books)
  • 1Q84 (1Q84, #1)
  • 1Q84 (1Q84, #2)
“It is sometimes necessary for each person. Fill up with delicious food, get drunk, sing loudly and chat frivolously.” 47 likes
“Writers have to keep on writing if they want to mature, like caterpillars endlessly chewing on leaves.” 32 likes