Start by marking “Midnight Scandals” as Want to Read:
Midnight Scandals

Midnight Scandals

(Fitzhugh Trilogy #2.5)

Welcome to Doyle’s Grange, a charming house near the hills of Exmoor, where the garden is beautiful in every season, and the residents are respectable year-round.

Except when the clock strikes midnight…

Published August 28th 2012 by NLA Digital Liaison Platform LLC

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Scandals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Scandals

Start your review of Midnight Scandals
Jill
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

This anthology contains three stories, each centred around the house and estate of Doyle's Grange, Somerset and three romances, approximately forty years apart.

One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel

Portia Temple and Crispin Hope, Lord Northword have known each other for over twenty years. Now twenty-seven and engaged, Portia plants a rowan tree at Doyle's Grange, her brother's home, to honour her forthcoming wedding. It's been ten years since Crispin has been back to Doyle's Grange and
Lisa
One Starlight Night by Carolyn Jewel

A wonderful romance about a love thought gone! Portia and Viscount Northwood shared a brief, passionate affair ten years ago and the ramifications are still being felt today. It caused deep heartache for Portia and Northwood and also her brother. But with Portia set to wed a dull man just to escape her maddening sister in law, Northwood can not let his feelings be disregarded any longer. A wonderfully rounded romance dealing with the difficulties of a second
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Novella collections are hit and miss for me. Usually I like one of the stories but the others are only so-so and I am left wondering if buying the book was really worth it for the limited pay off.

This one, however, I highly recommend. Consistent, strong storytelling from three of my favourite historical romance writers. I've reviewed each of the stories separately as I've gone through the book. All great:

What Happened At Midnight - 5 stars - What Happened at MidnightWhat Happened at Midnight

One
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
rameau
2 stars

Too big a story for a novella. I'm always hoping writers include the explanations within the text instead of adding flashbacks of footnotes or infodumbs. Jewel did that but, still, I'm not satisfied. Part of me wondered whether or not the story would have benefitted from a short glimpse to the seventeen year old Portia and Northword, instead of just reminding the reader that they were in love years and years before. I definitely think that although
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

Review excludes the last story
I'm not reading the Sherry Thomas story...yet. But only because it looks to be part of a series, and from the reviews I've seen, I won't know what's going on. Once I've read the book before this, I'll come back to the ST story.

One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel-3 flames

The actual romance was beautiful and sweet, but I felt it ended a bit too abruptly. For a lovers reunited theme, I wanted more of them. I wanted more
Jen
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fv, milan, jewel
Portia and Northwood- 3 stars
John and Mary- 4 stars
Isabelle and Fitzwilliam- 2 stars

Overall 3 stars for the anthology. Very cute how each story tied together.

Full review on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews

One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel

Viscount Northwood and Portia Temple were teenage lovers. Too swept away by passion and the blush of new love they never thought there would be consequences to face. Those consequences came in the form of a baby. But when Northwood told his father he was going to
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel

Viscount Northword or Crispin is back home after ten years. Much has changed, especially his relationship with his childhood friend and lover, Portia Temple. Years and years ago, they fell in love, but they had some dark days together, as often young people do, and had a bad break. Crispin went on to leave and marry someone else, while Portia has been stuck in her small town, living with her brother and his wife Eleanor. Eleanor wants great things for Portia –
Aneca
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked up this anthology because I have been curious about Courtney Milan. I read a few reviews that made it sound interesting and I thought I would give it a go. I was quite surprised to see that the stories were very intense. I guess I'm not used to see this kind of emotions in short stories. Unfortunately I wasn't entirely convinced by them. It might be that I wasn't in the best mood for this as I have been more into light and sunny reads lately...

Carolyn Jewel's story about a couple who
Limau Nipis
I haven't read novellas for ages, so this one was a quick decision for me to pick up and go.

It was when I started my second story that I noticed the place are the same - Doyle's Grange

Rating: 2/5

I find the love story between Viscount Northword and Portia Temple just fall flat. I know that this should be two peoples falling in love again with each other, but this one has a plot that is not well developed, thus a 2-star from me. Portia's character was quite
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Overall, this was a lovely anthology of interconnected historical romance from some of the most talented authors in the genre today. While there were facets of each story that didn’t quite appeal to me, the writing, and more importantly, the romance was exceptional across the entire anthology.

Recommended for fans of estranged lovers, letting go of past mistakes, and of allowing yourself to find happiness.

A very solid
Keri
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun sassy read by Courtney Milan. There is something about her writing that really appeals to me.
Heather
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Except when the clock strikes midnight…
One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel
Ten years away from Doyle’s Grange isn’t quite long enough for Viscount Northword to forget Portia Temple, or their passionate adolescent affair. Portia, however, is about to marry another man. Northword tells himself it is wrong to interfere in her life at this
Christina
Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge: A book with a time of day in the title

Cute if overall predictable. The stories got stronger over the three, with the first one definitely the weakest. I enjoyed the Heiress Effect prototype of the second book and that the third one had a pair of leads who were relatively mature and nobody had to be "awakened." It kept me occupied on a plane ride, although my seat mates may have wondered about all the times I rolled my eyes.

I still question romance novels that
Maida
Average 4 stars. Courtney Milan's What Happened at Midnight is the best, followed by Sherry Thomas's A Dance in Moonlight, Carolyn Jewel's One Starlit Night is the weakest.
SidneyKay
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

I bought this book because a. the cover is gorgeous and b. I love Courtney Milan. Overall, I thought the premise of how this anthology was set up was very clever and interesting. See, all the short stories in this anthology revolve around one particular house. Different people and different times, but always around Doyle's Grange. I really liked that. But I can't say the same for all the stories in this anthology and they are better analyzed
Katie
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I'm going with 4 stars for the anthology as a whole. Reviews of each novella are in reverse order.

Reviewing each novella as I go!

A Dance in Moonlight by Sherry Thomas

A solid 4 stars

So this was the reason I wanted the novella so badly. After reading Ravishing the Heiress, I just HAD to know what happened to Isabelle and was thrilled to discover I would. Buuuuuut then I read the premise. And I was half-concerned about it and half-convinced Sherry Thomas would be able to pull it off (because
Maura
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The entire anthology was above average and well-worth a read.

My least favorite story was the one by Carolyn Jewel. Say 3 stars. Eleanor completely distracted me from the story; it was like trying to look at a work of art with a clown dancing in your side view. Maybe some people can ignore tye overwhelming presence of the clown, but I could not. Had the novella been a novel, maybe there would have been enough to temper Eleanor for me. The writing was lovely, the angst and romance well done but
Grace
I really, really enjoyed the first two stories in this anthology and only wish they had been longer because I think there was a little more to them than could be explored in limited pages.

The third story, Isabelle's story from Sherry Thomas' Fitzhugh trilogy, was perfectly fine. My only problem is I wasn't especially interested in Isabelle's happy ending and it brought back all of my extremely negative feelings about Ravishing the Heiress (which is tied with Poppy Hathaway's book for my least
Lady Wesley
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lendable
This anthology has three stories set in the same country house over a span of ~70 years. I especially like that the heroine sets out a sapling rowan tree in the first story, and by the third it's become a spreading shade tree.

All three stories are top-notch, as would be expected from these authors. Sherry Thomas's story is a sequel to Ravishing the Heiress, and the heroine is the jilted mistress from that story. It sounds so intriguing that I'll have to go back and read the book.
R.
I found Carolyn Jewel's entry in this anthology rather boring, unfortunately, BUT Courtney Milan's was, as ever, well done. My favorite, however, was "A Dance in Moonlight" by Sherry Thomas, which was touching and completely wonderful. She was on my list of authors to check out and given that this short story was supplementary to her Fitzhugh trilogy, I'll have to move her to the top of the queue.
ms bookjunkie
I'm just gonna copy & paste my comments:

One Starlit Night by Carolyn Jewel: I wanted to bitch-slap the SIL …and crack the h/h's heads together for pussyfooting around. (I seem to be feeling somewhat violent today…) 3.5 stars

What Happened at Midnight by Courtney Milan: The way she writes about oppressive circumstances is powerful. 4.5 stars

A Dance in Moonlight by Sherry Thomas: She sure knows how to put emotions through a wringer! 4.5 stars
Mskychick
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
2-3 stars. I spent much of the time enraged, so I can't rate this higher
Eleanor is a fucking manipulative bitch. Someone should wallop her to shut her the fuck up. Who lets a vapid bitch manipulate them like that?! She made me so pissed!!

What Happened at Midnight by Courtney Milan
4 stars

A Dance in Moonlight by Sherry Thomas
5 stars
Ridley
This was the rare anthology where all the stories were great. The Milan story was the weakest, and I'd still call it an above average read. Carolyn Jewel's story was my favorite. The longing and regret was off the charts.
Steamywindows♥♫
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this anthology, each set in a different era, but associated with the same location. Very enjoyable, each in their own right.
Maja
(Realistic rating: averaging them all out, it's a little over 3 stars, which feels right -- I like the entire series as a conceit, and it definitely got better as it went on, and I mostly enjoyed the experience of reading them, so that usually means 3 stars. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone, at least as a coherent whole -- just read the Courtney Milan or the Sherry Thomas on their own, or the Sherry Thomas in connection with her other books.)

"One Starlit Night" by Carolyn
Sometime
One Starlit Night

I hated this first story. I didn't realize it was a second chance love story. I have terrible luck with those. Almost everything about this made me angry. 10 wasted years, H leaves h behind in the country to gather dust while he lives it up in London and even married eventually. He never once comes back to her but they exchange letters because they are such good "friends". There were a lot of complicated reasons for their separation. (view spoiler)
May Grider
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Dance in Moonlight (Fitzhugh Trilogy, 2.5)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • Claiming the Duchess (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • Private Arrangements (The London Trilogy #2)
  • The Heart of Christmas (Carhart #0.5; Tallants #3.5)
  • From Duke Till Dawn (The London Underground, #1)
  • Not Quite a Husband (The Marsdens, #2)
  • One Starlit Night
  • Delicious (The Marsdens, #1)
  • How to Catch a Wild Viscount
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology, #2)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Duchess in Love (Duchess Quartet, #1)
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • The Mad Earl's Bride (Scoundrels, #3.5)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After

Fitzhugh Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)