Jump to ratings and reviews

To Hell With Fate; or, Why The Best Valentine's Gifts Come From Mini-Marts

Young love is a myth.

It’s something we’re conditioned to expect by movies and stories. It’s something we all wanted but could never find. And even when we got older and discovered the truth, we still wish, just a little, that we had had it.

To Hell With Fate; or Why the Best Valentine's Gifts Come From Mini-Marts is the tale of two young cousins who find themselves bored to tears at a family funeral. In their boredom, they find another cousin willing to tell them a little story about his young love: how a simple Valentine’s Day gift became one of the best things he'd ever done. He’d intended that to be a momentary distraction, but the girls began to want more.

Soon he was telling them about the two girls he knew that took part in that story. The one that he very publicly had a crush on, the one that he privately cared for. The stories were about how he met them, and how they got to that Valentine's Day. He told them about going to Paris in college, and how one of them ended up joining him there. But it was up to them to figure out who it was.

It was a fine story on its own, but as the girls dug deeper, they find themselves enveloped in a longer saga, told one piece at a time. One about the difference between a crush and love. One that challenges their notions of fate and perfection. One about how our own worst enemies can be ourselves, and how in the end, we’re all just a little messed up.

And that’s okay.

ebook

First published September 6, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kevin J. Cunningham

1 book6 followers
Kevin J. Cunningham is the author of To Hell With Fate or Why The Best Valentine's Gifts Come From Mini-Marts , his first full-length novel.

Kevin was inspired to write this story as he grew up, and found how our expectations for what will be our happy endings changed as we got older.  The idea of romance, and what we want, is an ever-changing subjective topic as we get older.  This is true not only in the overwhelming body known as 'society' but also among each of ourselves individually.  Whether or not it gets better or more realistic, or both, as we get older is still open for discussion.

Before undertaking this novel, most of Kevin's writing career was spent as a sports journalist.  From 2002 through 2011, Kevin was a writer for San Francisco Dugout Online Magazine, commenting on Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants and particularly their minor league system of players.  Kevin wrote both stories and updates, as well as taking photos and conducting interviews with players and coaches.  In 2007, Kevin also took over editor duties for the site until it suspended operations in 2011.

Starting in 2011, Kevin began writing a webcomic about Giants fans,  The Lunatic Fringe , working with artist Rog Hernandez.  In less than a year, The Lunatic Fringe was nominated as one of the best local online comics by SF Weekly.  The comic continues to update three times a week, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and follows the travails of Giants fans as their beloved team has its highs and lows.

Kevin would like to say that his influences are authors like Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, filmmakers like Steven Spielberg and David Fincher, musical artists like Evanesence and Bon Jovi, television shows like Firefly and Lost, and the vision and management style of Steve Jobs, but the real influences on his art are his friends, family, and the souls that he runs into during his daily adventures and many travels.

Kevin's much neglected twitter feed can be found @BruteSentiment.  He'd be more active on it if he knew people were listening.  He's not one of those writers who writes just for himself (he hopes).  At this time, he does not have a public Facebook page nor a personal website.  If you'd like to see more of his work, you are encouraged to follow @sflunaticfringe for his webcomic and the Facebook page for The Lunatic Fringe.  There's also a Google+ page if you feel like a rebel.  The first year collection of The Lunatic Fringe can be found on Lulu.com, and will soon b

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.