Start by marking “Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge” as Want to Read:

The coauthor of the classic bestseller Boundaries, with over 2 million copies sold, and an expert on the psychology of business and leadership performance explains the behavioral reasons why some people get great results and others don't.

In Boundaries for Leaders, Dr. Henry Cloud gives leaders the tools and techniques they need to achieve the performance they desire—in the
Audiobook
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperAudio (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries for Leaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries for Leaders

Shaun Lee
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After having read so so many books, am so glad that Cloud delivers one that I like so so very much! He draws from a lifetime of psychological study and experience in consulting with CEOs in writing this book. Real life stories are used to great effect to illustrate complicated or abstract principles. Sometimes he gets lost in retelling the stories that he forgets to reinforce the point (and we have to refer to the subtitle to figure out what he is trying to say).

Nevertheless, I highly recommend
Đức Cường
Not too amazing for a sixteen-years-old me, but I’m sure this book will be my choice in the future as I will have more experience in leader.
Donny Teeter
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful information for setting work boundaries in general.
Lora
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boundaries For Leaders really caught my eye because ...well, it's by Dr. Henry Cloud and he writes great books! And this new one from him does not disappoint.

It's not exactly what I thought it might be about. I sort of picked it up hoping it was about leaders setting boundaries for their own time, etc., and, boy, was I going to read it aloud to my leader-husband. LOL

In reality, it's about how leaders can (and should) create boundaries for those they are leading--boundaries that they are able to
Annie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
The book covers basic concepts for leading a team or company. It's not particularly interesting nor does it get to the point. I didn't even know why it was titled "Boundaries for Leaders" until a few chapters in. It's about setting boundaries for the teams. The main point is the culture within the team exists through what the leader had created or allowed. If there is a team member who is pessimistic and is bringing everyone else down, the leader is allowing that behavior to become prevalent. Th ...more
Shaun
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good leadership book. It taught me how to create a work culture where people love to work. Below are the main points I learned:

1. Help people attend to what is important, inhibit what is not important or toxic, and remember what they are doing.
2. Create an emotional environment that is free of the wrong kinds of stress.
3. Build teams that are deeply connected.
4. Help people to think optimistically and root out pessimism.
5. Help people get in control of what they can control.
April Sarah
There are some great points in this book, but nothing was truly life (and habit) changing for me. It may be because I have found myself some wonderful leaders to mentor me. However if you are just starting a leadership journey this would be a great book to look into.
Brian Pate
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This book did not grip me. I really enjoy hearing Cloud speak, but this book was bland. Decent leadership lessons, but nothing earth-shattering.
Barry
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
The concepts are pretty simple and not earth shattering. Pay attention to the people around you and treat them well. Not rocket science.
Sam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Excellent book!)

As a leader, you get what you create and what you allow.

Leaders are ridiculously in charge

I am ridiculously in charge. I will have the culture I create and I will not have the culture I will not allow to exist. You are either allowing it or building it. Own it.

the vision, goals/purposes, behavior, rules;

Leaders boundaries define what is and isn’t going to be.

Successful leaders are responsible for the vision, focus, attention activities that create forward movement, the emoti
Trent Ross
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a real struggle to finish. The ideas and leadership philosophies presented were mostly straightforward and agreeable, but never really broken into the enlightening. Additionally, the concepts frequently felt shoehorned into poor analogies to fit his theme.

Dr. Cloud provides plenty of personal examples that gave off serious self-aggrandizing vibes but little evidence to support his claims that this is all science. While I do actually believe the brain science he starts with, I do wonder
Catherine Nelson
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not at all what I was expecting, but absolutely golden. This one is a must for anyone who wants to lead a team well. Useful, practical information and insights.

The thing I really appreciated about this book was that so much of what Dr. Cloud was saying aligned with so much of what other great business leaders/writers say. He just came at it from a little different direction, with more psychology and human behavior (of course, he is a psychologist), which made it feel like coming full circle on
Anthony Brown
I enjoyed the content, but I found Cloud's original Boundaries book to be much more insightful. While this book has a business focus, I felt it was not as helpful to me as the original book. I suppose I am also starting to limit my reading of "leadership" books. The reason being is that once you've grasped the basic principles of leadership (from the Bible and Ancient Greece onward) you're pretty much going to read/hear the same things packaged in different ways. I'm sure this book with speak to ...more
Troy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last chapter is the golden nugget!

I enjoyed most of the book, but the last chapter was worth the entire book. It is where the gold was. I learned more in that chapter than the rest of the book combined.

Personally, I think Dr. Cloud should have focused on that area more than any other.

The book is chalk full of illustrations and stories to fill in the gap between practical real life and theory.

Thank you Sir!
Jennah Margaret
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr. Cloud can sound a bit antiquated at times with pointing out that it's necessary to not be overly harsh or direct constantly - but he does have a lot of meaningful insights and reminders. He has a great way of simplifying things to keep in mind and breaking down complex problems in a approachable way.
Tony
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helps you to understand the importance of how boundaries can help a leader and an organization to be better. It is full of insight into the nature of leadership and how it is easy to get distracted by outside influences that can pull you away from your goals and the actual vision of an organization.
Ellis Morning
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book crystallizes many of those important leadership qualities that you admire in your good bosses (and long for under your dysfunctional bosses)! There’s also the important acknowledgement that if our brains aren’t properly engaged, we can’t perform—period. Leaders and subordinates have a lot to learn from the examples laid out here.
Claire
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book. Really made me reflect on my priorities and how I spend my time. Also made me reflect on my role as a leader and my experience being led. Highly recommend to anyone in any kind of leadership position.
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I make a fairly significant leadership transition, this book has given me both practical and mindset tools to establish and maintain healthy boundaries to promote a positive, and productive culture. It is, quite possibly, one of the best books on leadership I’ve ever read.
Leah Rudnicki
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
I listened to this book and then bought the hard back version. I listened and took notes in a journal as I went. At the end of the book he describes three types of leaders and hopefully, I am the first one!
D.J. Hamon
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is both a good primer for newer leaders, and a solid review for upper-level leaders. This will separate real leaders from mere managers. Most importantly, a good framework for team building and self-growth is outlined.
Tonya
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best leadership books I have ever read for my business! His ideas are clear and concise and very usable! I recommend this book to anyone who is in a leadership position in their job or career.
Terry
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the Boundaries books by Henry Cloud, which always have practical, life-changing suggestions. This take on Leadership is a must read.
Kim
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened on audio and have hard copy for reference. Changed the way I manage.
Andrea M
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book truly helps as you navigate leading an organization.
Jim King
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
4R concept is a good way of organizing your leadership style
Ash
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those... "insights for life" sort of books. Emulate the concepts expressed here in order to connect with your team and lead others in a clear and positive way. <3
Katie Abercrombie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I particularly loved the steps covered in the book to overcoming learned helplessness and the havoc it can wreak on productivity.
Essy
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Henry Cloud never ever disappoints!
Kimball
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
*I will update my review and shelves later.*
  • Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Fred 2.0: New Ideas on How to Keep Delivering Extraordinary Results
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • The 7 Habits for Managers: Managing Yourself, Leading Others, Unleashing Potential
  • How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Mentoring 101
  • A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix
  • The Great Evangelical Recession: 6 Factors That Will Crash the American Church... and How to Prepare
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Joy at Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job
  • Paul, Women and Wives: Marriage and Women's Ministry in the Letters of Paul
  • The Power of Ethical Management
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Junia Is Not Alone
  • Organizing Genius: The Secrets of Creative Collaboration
  • Building a Discipling Culture, 2nd Edition
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
“hard on the issue, soft on the person.” 3 likes