Start by marking “Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)

Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  26,740 Ratings  ·  1,598 Reviews
Abdullah was a young and not very prosperous carpet dealer. His father, who had been disappointed in him, had left him only enough money to open a modest booth in the Bazaar. When he was not selling carpets, Abdullah spent his time daydreaming. In his dreams he was not the son of his father, but the long-lost son of a prince. There was also a princess who had been betrothe ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Castle in the Air, please sign up.

LJF They are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention,…moreThey are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention, you can actually figure out where they are much sooner than that.(less)
LJF Technically, it is the second book, but I'd probably call it a companion book instead. Sophie and Howl are in this, but they aren't the main…moreTechnically, it is the second book, but I'd probably call it a companion book instead. Sophie and Howl are in this, but they aren't the main characters.(less)

Emma
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Castle in the Air" is Diana Wynne Jones' sequel to her amazingly awesome novel "Howl's Moving Castle." It was originally published in 1990 (four years after "Howl's Moving Castle"). At first glance, this novel doesn't sound like a sequel--it sounds more like a companion book at best--but I promise it does explain more about Howl and Sophie, just not right away and not, perhaps, in the most obvious way.

That said, this story is set in the Sultanates of Rashpuht a land far to the south of Ingary (
Mark Lawrence
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very readable book from DWJ, and one I've just finished reading to my daughter, Celyn. Refreshingly independent princesses being semi-saved by our devoted hero, a carpet salesman from the desert city of Zanzib. He's not hero material, and never resorts to violence, but he's a good fellow and carries the story well.

We get all the standard Aladdin-esque trappings, a magic carpet, a genie in a bottle, evil djinns, bandits, sultans, camels... and for a while you think you know roughly where
Kristijan
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zamak u oblacima donosi u istoj meri ono što nam je doneo i njegov prethodnik - pregršt šarenila i avantura. Zbog tematike na momente sam morao da se podsećam da ovo nije Salman Ruždi, već neko drugi...
Stil pripovedanja, ali i pisanja, je otprilike isti kao u prvom delu, i može se naslutiti kako će se roman završiti, kao i "prošlost" određenih magijskih predmeta ili likova. Jednostavno čitalac može da "nanjuši" sumnjivog lika ili sumnjiv predmet i da pretpostavi šta se u njemu krije.
Interesantne
Victor Almeida
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Terminar uma leitura sorrindo não tem preço. Não tinha dúvidas de que esse livro seria fantástico, assim como O Castelo Animado.

A escrita da Diana é fora do comum. Ela sabe fazer com que a história brilhe e transborde magia. A forma como é escrito, parecendo quase uma fábula antiga, te imerge em um universo magnífico e deslumbrante, com personagens maravilhosos e completamente diferentes. Eu me apaixonei tudo de novo. Fiquei surpreso em me deparar com algumas coisas de O Castelo Animado — não ac
Krystle
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle. That being said I picked this up with trepidation because I was rather disappointed the book wasn’t going to be from the main characters in the first, nor would it have a direct focus on it. But they do occur later on.

That being said, I loved this book! I loved how she managed to turn this into another one of her witty, light-hearted, but not lacking in depth, fantasy tales. It was unique, original, and if I hadn’t read spoilers beforehand
Marianne W
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't ever get tired of Howl and Sophie, even if there's not very much of them here. Still, a fun and enjoyable book!
Katerina Kondrenko
8.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
John Me – Love Is My Drug, Is My Medicine

Genre: fairytale, fantasy
Stuff: jinn, flying carpet and castle, magic
Fail: funny, but not charismatic MC
WOW: old characters, the plot, humor
POV: 3rd person, male
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
“Fate doesn't care most of the time.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The Wizard Howl gets mixed up with djinni, genies (in this story they're two different species) and some Arabian Nights-type characters (from the sanitized version I read as a child) in this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. Abdullah, a humble young carpet merchant with big (day)dreams, is sold a magic carpet by a suspicious-looking stranger, which leads him to a beautiful princess named Flower-in-the-Night, a genie in a bottle, and other adventures. Abdullah is forced to leave behind his daydream ...more
Ricardo
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4.5 / 5

Una descripción hermosa de los escenarios. Incluso poética. Un excelente y original libro de fantasía.

Reseña: http://www.eternamenteentiniebla.com/...
- ̗̀ mymy  ̖́-
i don't think i could ever get bored of this world! so so much fun to read, and i enjoyed this MUCH more than the first book! i'm excited to get to book 3!

(this is more like a companion rather than a sequel, it doesn't follow the same characters but it's set in the same world. personally, i enjoyed this more than how's moving castle!)
Cat
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
If you read and enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and have yet to read this, what are you waiting for? Come on now, go read it. At once.

I liked Castle in the Air better than its predecessor, surprisingly. There are several reasons for this:

1. The plot makes more sense on a first read-- there's a clear mission from the get-go, and the reveals at the end aren't at all confusing.

2. It's not exactly a retelling... but there are clear, surely intended parallels to the story of Aladdin. I really liked the
Ahmad Sharabiani
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2), Diana Wynne Jones (1934)
عنوان: قلعه ای در آسمان: جلد 2 از قلعه متحرک هاول؛ نوشته: دایاناواین جونز؛ مترجم: بهاره افشارنژاد؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بهاره افشارنژاد، 1384، در 248 ص، شابک: 9640670359؛ یادداشت: ادامه کتاب قلعه متحرک نوشته دایانا وین جونز، با ترجمه شراره صدیق، کتابسرای تندیس در سال 1381 است، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان آمریکایی قرن 20 م
Azumi
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al principio del libro la historia me estaba gustando pero no me acababa de convencer, me hacía gracia la alfombra, el genio me caía super bien, los gatitos, pero no conseguía conectar con Abdullah ni el soldado. Toda la historia de Flor-en-la-noche me estaba pareciendo un poquitín empalagosilla y deseaba que pasasen más cosas.

Pero cual fue mi sorpresa cuando se va descubriendo poco a poco (view spoiler)
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
this book was really good! it was funny and had all of hte great characters from Howl's Moving Castle along with a few new and very entertaining characters. there were some plot twists along with curses and disguises. it had a great ending with many surprises. so all in all, the perfect book.
Heidi
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the marks of my favorite authors is their ability to keep me guessing–the knowledge that when I crack open one of their books, I should expect the unexpected. This is only my second Diana Wynne Jones read, but I can already see her name rising in the ranks of the authors who do just that. Like Howl’s Moving Castle, Castle in the Air is an incredibly smart, adventurous, twisting read that is a credit to readers of all ages. At no point did I know where the story was going, and in the end I ...more
Angigames
Sinceramente mi ha spiazzato e non in modo positivo.
Io pensavo che fosse in tutto e per tutto un sequel, anche se venivano presentati nuovi personaggi, nuove storie, che la presenza di Howl e Sophie fosse sicura e persistente.
Invece no! Il mio adorato Howl si presenta quasi alla fine, in modo si bizzarro, come sua abitudine, ma per niente significativo!
Mi sono sentita quasi tradita! Ammetto che possa sembrare una cosa estremamente emotiva, ma così è stato… presa dalla massima delusione, non m
Myles
DWJ Book Toast, #7

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

A
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
So I’ve had this book on my to-read for forever. It’s gotten pushed up and down on the list because I wasn’t entirely sure how you could follow a book as amazing as “Howl’s Moving Castle.” Still, I got the urge to re-read it and realized ‘hey, I never actually read the second one. Maybe I should do that instead!’ To me, this isn’t really a sequel though. I wanted to read more about Howl and Sophie rather than start off with new characters. Unfortunately, that was kind of a letdown. The magic was ...more
I r h
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenil, fantasía, 2010
El argumento, si nos fijamos bien, tiene un cierto toque de Las mil y una noches que le diferencia claramente de EL CASTILLO AMBULANTE. Y es que, si lo que esperas es encontrarte una continuación, aquí no la encontrarás. Casi podríamos decir que es un libro aparte.

Así, nos encontramos siendo testigos de las aventuras (¿o quizá desventuras?) de Abdullah por encontrar a su amadísima y bellísima Flor-en-la-noche. Tengo que decir que ambos me han encantado. Uno por su fuerza y sus ganas de conseguir
Alycia
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what I wanted to read next and so I perused my library's overdrive where I found this book to be available for download. I love when a random selection becomes a book you fall in love with! Flying carpets, djinns, loveable characters, compelling storyline...it had all this and more! Definitely will pick up more by Diana Wynne Jones in the future. :)
Timothy
Entertaining, but a little contrived.
Kristina
Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones, although described as the second book in the Howl’s Moving Castle series, isn’t really a continuation of the first book, Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s more of a companion novel. I would still probably read HMC first, because it establishes the characters that you (eventually) run into, but this book has a different story. I didn’t like this book as much because the characters aren’t as interesting or endearing, but the story is entertaining.

Abdullah is a rug
Arminzerella
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Castle in the Air is indeed a companion to Howl's Moving Castle, but the first thing to accept is that you won't be seeing much of Howl and Sophie. Once I did that, I was able to relax and enjoy this entirely different book.

Abdullah is from Rashpuht, and this is where the story begins. As the names suggest, there's a definite "Arabian Nights" flavor to the narrative. Abdullah finds himself with a magic carpet, that he doesn't know how to control, exactly, and meets with the princess Flowers-in-t
Zoe
Aug 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harpercollins
This book didn't do it for me. I loved all the other books I've read by Diana Wynne Jones, but these characters seemed like cardboard, their trials and tribulations not squeezing any sympathy or interest from me... until, of course, they met up with Sophie and Howl at the very, very end (much to my dismay).

I know Jones likes rewriting fairy tales the way she thinks of them, this obviously being the tale of Alladin. I don't enjoy that story, either.

So I guess, to be fair, it's most likely my pe
Nur Ötken
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yürüyen Şato serisinin ikinci kitabı bitti. :) Uçan Şato'da macera sırası Abdullah'ta. Abdullah sihirli halısı ile aşık olduğu prenses Gece Çiçeği'nin peşinden maceralara atılıyor ve tabi ki yolu Sophie ve Howl ile kesişiyor. İlk kitapta daha zekice ve fantastik olan kurgu bu kitapta biraz daha masalsı bir hal aldı. O yüzden ilk kitap kadar sevmesem de Howl ve Sophie'nin hikayeye beklenmedik şekilde dâhil olmasıyla daha ilgi çekici bir hal aldı olaylar. Genel olarak biraz basit gibi geldi ama eğ ...more
The Flooze
**3.5**

Not so much a sequel to Howl's Castle as a related story, Castle in the Air is a fast-paced tale of magic carpets, genies and djinns, with some princesses thrown in for effect. It follows Abdullah, a daydreaming carpet dealer who learns to be cautious of wishes - they never turn out exactly as one hopes.

Appearances by much of the cast of Howl's Castle make this a delightful way of catching up with those characters. The plot isn't as helter-skelter as the previous installment, but does mi
Miss Abernathy
«Lo más angustioso de estar aquí arriba sobre las nubes es que no hay clima del que sacar conversación.»

3,5 estrellas.

No pensaba que me fuera a gustar tanto. Lo empecé más que nada porque no quería atrasar mucho la lectura teniendo El castillo ambulante tan fresco y para qué mentir, no hace ni una semana que leí El castillo ambulante y ya echaba de menos a Howl, Sophie y Calcifer (espero que Michael salga en el siguiente libro).

El libro sigue la misma línea que su antecesor, con magia, humor y
Soukyan Blackwood
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a great story, fitting Arabian Nights very well. But I did miss Howl, and his family very greatly, so I would’ve preferred some more of them. Thus I’ll give this book 4 out of 5, for the repetitive nature mostly, but will absolutely read the last one in the trilogy.

Night Mode Reading
Into the Forest: Castle in the Air - SPOILERS 10 22 Apr 20, 2017 10:40AM
Into the Forest: Castle in the Air - NO spoilers 15 24 Mar 16, 2017 07:41AM
Purple Elephants ...: Castle in the Air (June 2015) 8 9 Aug 17, 2015 12:23PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones 5 14 Aug 05, 2015 01:23PM
Should I read this? 9 64 Oct 23, 2014 12:21PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. YA about a begger and a genie [s] 5 51 Jul 25, 2014 09:47AM
How does Abdullah know Howl??! 3 61 Sep 23, 2013 05:14AM
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Perilous Gard
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards, #9)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • The Changeover
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Chalice
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)

“I am a believer in free will. If my dog chooses to hate the whole human race except myself, it must be free to do so.” 342 likes
“Take it from me, Fate doesn't care most of the time.” 252 likes