Start by marking “The Mousetrap and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
The Mousetrap and Other Plays

The Mousetrap and Other Plays

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  4,828 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
Agatha Christie created magnificent works of suspense for the theater, and eight of her riveting stage dramas are collected in The Mousetrap and Other Plays—including the title piece, the longest running play in history, still a smash hit in London's West End after 60 years!

On an isolated island, ten people have been brought together to be killed off. An evil old woman has
Published October 30th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mousetrap and Other Plays, please sign up.

MravaWishes Buy it online, look for it at the bookshop, try to borrow it from the local library, find it at the street or charity book sales, look up at online…moreBuy it online, look for it at the bookshop, try to borrow it from the local library, find it at the street or charity book sales, look up at online book selling sites such as Amazon, get it on Kindle, find it in PDF format for free online...(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
The mousetrap and Other Storie, Agatha Christie
Three Blind Mice and Other Stories is a collection of short stories written by Agatha Christie, first published in the US by Dodd, Mead and Company in 1950. The first edition retailed at $2.50.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 2001 میلادی
عنوان: تله موش و داستانهای دیگر؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: مریم زکریا؛ تهران، هرمس، کتابهای کارآگاه، 1380؛ در 275 ص؛ شابک: 9646641598؛ چاپ دوم 1385؛ چاپ سوم 1387، در 275 ص؛ شابک: 9789646641594؛ موضوع: داستانهای پلیسی از
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a police officer, out in the snow, the winter chill clouding your mind, the only refuge a sinister abode called the Monkswell Manor. You enter the manor and it is as if you had entered the longest-running play in history... the players are all so familiar, the plot they are acting – so timeless.

You: Dear residents, pray give me some time to explain myself. ‘Tis the winter chill that drives me hither and thither! Be gentle, good sirs and ladies. Do stop freaking
Nandakishore Varma
What shall I say about an institution which is one of England's tourist attractions, along with Nelson's Column, Big Ben and Buckingham Palace?

I read it as a short story and loved it: I read it as a play and loved it, despite knowing the secret: and finally, in 2009...

A dream come true!
Cata
Feb 01, 2017 marked it as standby  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2017
Appointment with death... Mnhee meio seca. Gostei mais do original
Tami (synchro from BL)
Short but brilliant. This seems so classic.

All the suspicious parties ensconced in an old manor on the countryside during a snow storm.

And a serial killer on the loose.

I was pretty sure about the culprit early on, but nevertheless a very satisfying read.

❂ Jennifer
I've only read The Mousetrap, so this is really only a partial review, but it's a great play to read. Christie really was a master at her craft; just about everyone since has been a poor imitation. Easy to read and a great little mystery with a fun twist at the end.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/109683...
Rosa Jamali
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A turning point in the history of crime fiction , a very dramatic setting & a suspense story!
Gomathi Sridevi
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first while reading this I was bored but when Sergeant Trotter comes in I found the story interesting. I read it as a play and a good time killer.
Praveen
It’s after a long time I am reading plays.

Till date I have only read three plays, frankly speaking I was forced to read during by college days as a part of my syllabus but I never regret of reading them. Shakespeare's The Tempest & Julius Caesar and George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion. Among this three my all time favorite is George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion.

Now with this book four more plays:

1. And then there were none
2. Appointment with Death
3. The Hollow
4. The Mousetrap

I think all fours are
Frederick
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the title play only. I was surprised to find it very funny and sardonic. It's about a married couple who run a small hotel. The husband has a snide outlook and often insults the guests. His wife is constantly getting on him about fixing things. The meals, masquerading as elegant, are dished from a can. There is a doddering old man called The Major, there is a haughty old lady, there is an ever-present fear that one of the guests will flee, leaving the bill unpaid and a suitcase full of br ...more
MacK
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramas, brit-lit
Perhaps the best thing about Christie plays is that they are short and quickly readable. Perhaps the worst thing about Christie plays is that they are almost inevitably the same, exact thing.

Granted, the most popular and prolific crime mystery writer of our time is simply borrowing from the Bard in regurgitating devices over and over and over again. But it's the hackneyed ways in which she does them that gives a reader pause (while an audience might find delight).

This volume contains two lesser
Arun Divakar
I have very vague recollections of trying to read a Hercule Poirot book from almost a decade ago and hardly remember a thing from it. This was all the acquaintance I had with Agatha Christie. A colleague once when she received a pay raise went ahead and brought the entire collection of Miss Marple and I remember staring incredulously at her as she explained the different titles in the collection. After a while I come to know of the longest running play in Broadway and also of the 2003 film Ident ...more
James Duyck
In general I think that these plays are very good as plays, but as text I like Agatha Christie's novels better. I think the novels are usually better-paced than about half of the plays in this collection, at least for reading.
My favourites were probably Towards Zero, Go Back for Murder, Appointment with Death, and The Hollow, approximately in that order.
I'm not really a connoisseur of mystery, so I can't really speak to how original the plotlines are, but at least there were a few that broke th
Diane Hernandez
I only read the three original plays in this book. The others were adaptations of her books that I have already read elsewhere. I liked The Mousetrap the best though it was relatively easy to guess the murderer's identity. However, I did have fun picturing how similar the plot was to both Sleuth and Noises Off and I wondered if those plays later made into movies were somewhat based on this play. I'm sure if I hadn't seen the marvelous Marlene Dietrich movie version of Witness for the Prosecution ...more
David Schaafsma
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I read this because I was IN a production ( as Christopher Wren!) in maybe 1982 at Calvin College, summer production with mostly Calvin alumni... Obviously one of the (is it THE longest?!) longest running productions of a play in history, in London.... and it is a great play... as so many of hers are...
Akshi
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, plays
I have only read 'The Mousetrap' and not the 'Other Plays'. This one will always stay close to my heart because it happened to be the first large-scale play that I performed [:
Rebekah
Loved it! The plays are racier than the books.
Pvw
Oct 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really bad, a plot that doesn't hold together, rounded of by a highly implausible conclusion. I have absolutely no idea why this play has been so successful.
Sara
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
ترسناک بود-_-
Lindsay
Overall,I really liked this book. However since it was straight plays it did get a little tiring after awhile. The stories themselves were wonderful Agatha Christie is such a phenomenal writer. Having to keep up with staging and characters can be annoying. I'm also not accustomed to reading straight plays.
Leslie
Interesting versions of some of Christie's most popular works. I enjoyed a fresh look at the old favorites. There were a few errors in the stage directions that were distracting.
Jessica Arhammar
Good, of course (it's Agatha Christie,) but the stories are too short for my taste.
Dana
Agatha Christie is always a good escape
laurel
"Witness for the Prosecution" - A bit boring, and I didn't like the additional ending. But overall an interesting adaptation of the short story.
Sarah Eagle
I was actually surprised to learn that Agatha Christie wrote plays. I was even more surprised to learn that she took a very practical view to them; she never expected or wanted them to be copy+paste versions of her real-life books, and she fully added notes as to how to cut down on the casting of some of the plays if they were unrealistically large.
That's something you don't see in authors very much, if at all. So props to her for that.
As to the plays themselves, I had hugely varying opinions.

Te
Tricia
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-02-feb
In this anthology of four plays, I've read two of them as novels. I always find it interesting to see what's been changed when stories are brought into a different format.

And Then There Were None is one of the notoriously different stories on stage, since it was assumed that the novel's ending would be too depressing to a theatre audience. It read pretty well except for the odd subplot romance they stuck in.

The Hollow had a quite a few things changed around to force the play into a single sett
Robyn
I truly don't understand how so many Christie novels aren't on my Goodreads shelves. I started reading them in the mid-1990s and read the last one 15 years ago. So weird.
Ali
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
در دوره ی نوجوانی ما، خواندن آثار پلیسی و جنایی بسیار رایج بود. تمام زنگ تفریح های مدرسه به بحث در مورد آخرین آثار پلیسی چاپ شده می گذشت. "مایک هامر"، "جانی دالر"، کاریل چسمان، و...البته آگاتا کریستی. تقریبن تمامی آثار آگاتا کریستی در آن سال ها توسط مترجمین حرفه ای و غیر حرفه ای به فارسی ترجمه می شد، و در کتاب های کیلویی گوتمبرگ (کیلویی ده تومان) به فروش می رسید. در سینماها هم فیلم های هالیوودی از آثار آگاتا کریستی کم نبودند. همه ی ما مشتری داستان های شب رادیو بودیم که اغلب سری داستان های پلیسی ...more
Brandon Burt
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I write this review, I would like to say I only read The Mousetrap.

Now that I have that out of the say I can say i loved Agatha Christie's work on The Mousetrap, I have only read The Mousetrap by her but I someday would like to read her other works. This book had wonderful aspects of murder , violence and mystery, you think you know who the killer is and BAM! you are knocked off your feet reading the ending. This book had good characters and a devious inconspicuous plot. I only gave this
Cindy
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four plays included in the edition I read are: And Then There were None, Appointment with Death, The Hollow, and The Mousetrap. I’m almost certain that I’ve read the first three plays as novels and I’ve seen The Mousetrap performed on stage, twice. The first time was for a friend’s 13th birthday – at this time, I was really big into mysteries and puzzles (and I guess I still am). I loved those lateral thinking books, Usborne Puzzle Adventures, the Clue series...yes, yes, based on the board g ...more
ask 1 8 Nov 06, 2011 08:02AM
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Cat of Many Tails (Ellery Queen Detective, #20)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Sleuth
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Agatha Christie
  • Triple Jeopardy (Nero Wolfe, #20)
  • Dial M for Murder
  • The Pirates of Penzance
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • Broadway Bound
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)

More about Agatha Christie...