Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)

Amelia Bedelia Means Business

(Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)

When Suzanne, the new girl in Amelia Bedelia's class, arrives at school riding the most beautiful bicycle in the whole world, Amelia Bedelia decides she wants a new bike, too. But Amelia Bedelia's mom says that a bike like Suzanne's is so expensive it will cost an arm and a leg! What? Amelia Bedelia doesn't want to give away one of her arms and one of her legs. She'll need ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia Means Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia Means Business

Katie Fitzgerald
Following the example of popular picture book and easy reader character Fancy Nancy, young Amelia Bedelia is now also the star of her own chapter book series. In the first installment of the series, Amelia Bedelia Means Business, the literal minded little girl finds herself in need of a new bike. Her parents, two very upbeat personalities who apparently don't know their kid very well, decide this will be a fun opportunity for their daughter to learn a little bit of business sense. They inform he ...more
Elizabeth Tyree
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alayna and I are really pleased with this young imagining of Amelia Bedelia. She still has the quintessential feeling of Amelia, but now we see her as an elemtary student that kids can identify with even more than her original, grown up self.
Laura Krooswyk
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute story! My daughter didn't really get in to the book very much.
Natalie [genreneutralreader]
As always with these early chapter books, I rate on what my daughter thinks of the book. My daughter relates to Amelia Bedelia and so she loved reading a story where Amelia overcomes her shortcomings.
Christian Fiction Addiction
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that a chapter book was being released featuring a younger version of Amelia Bedelia, the literal-minded housekeeper that I was introduced to way back when I was a child, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy. Although I primarily got the book for my own children, I must admit that I first read through "Amelia Bedelia Means Business" to see how this younger Amelia would measure up - and I can say that I am absolutely sold on this adorable Amelia! I laughed my way through this book, c ...more
Dorine White
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The Story-
I'm taking a look at book 1 in the new series- Amelia Bedelia Means Business. The author is Herman Parish, the nephew of the original Amelia Bedelia creator, Peggy Parish. The story revolves around Amelia's quest to earn money for a shiny new bike. She tries all sorts of things, from waitressing to having a lemonade stand to earn the money, often with disastrous results.

My Thoughts-
In my opinion, this new spin off series is decent for kids that aren't familiar with the original picture
Jackie
Herman Parish, nephew of Peggy Parish (who created Amelia Bedelia), has taken over the reins of modernizing Amelia Bedelia into new chapter book format adventures. It was delightful to visit the still very literal young lady as she tries out jobs to help her pay for a new bicycle. This book is hilarious and completely ready to charm another generation of readers.
christa
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Amelia Bedelia's antics are sometimes funny, but her misunderstanding of idioms is super exhausting. I know that's her schtick, but ugh. Plus, these books haven't really stood the test of time.
Katja Yekaterina
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming children's book completely with AB's total lack of understanding of figurative language and a happy ending.
Hope
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a really cute story. I remember reading Amelia Bedelia books as a child. I loved them. I like how literal Amelia is. Her misinterpretations of common phrases we, the adults, use, makes for a fun story. A clean, sweet read for young'uns and not-so-young'uns alike.
Joanne
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series for good laughs and word play.

Love the idioms! Perfect books for ESL, too. This is a series that I remember from my childhood. It warmed my heart to reread.
Izzy J.M
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
my favorite charocter was the main charocter of corse, Amelia Bedila and she's my favorite because she's funny kind and takes every thing siriosly.what surprised me the most was that...the guy at the car selling place told Amelia to stop selling lemons at his place.I would not change the ending because wild Bill and Suzane became friends,.... well,it was just a great ending.the end.
Muffin Pam
who doesn't love Amelia Bedelia? Possibly the unfortunates that become victims of her literal interpretations of things. Amelia B. takes on some activities in an effort to make a quick buck and buy a bike so she can hot dog in front of her snotty friend Suzanne. She starts as a terrible waitress, working in a cafe that obviously laughs at child labor laws and - surprise, surprise, her waitressing is pretty terrible. That's okay - they give her five whole dollars and send her out the door. Then s ...more
Ashleigh
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
My thoughts on Amelia Bedelia (which I am definitely over-thinking):

1) I was extremely interested in getting to know the people, i.e. parents, who let Amelia Bedelia turn into a grown woman without a solid grasp on figurative language. Amelia's parents appear to have no concept of how bad the problem is and often continue conversations without explaining the element that Amelia misunderstood--I realize that would kill the joke, but I'm a bit worried about my favorite fictional character and her
Alison Guo
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Robinson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Amelia Bedelia Means Business is included on my favorites shelf because I did read Amelia Bedelia books, but they were very different from this short chapter book. This book is a fun fiction book about how young Amelia Bedelia takes on a variety of odd jobs to earn money to buy a new bike. This book is a great choice for elementary-aged readers and is a great entry point to chapter books.

In a reading class, this book would be an excellent choice to learn about dialogue. There is quite a lot of d
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought The Kid some Amelia Bedelia books because I loved Amelia growing up and the new covers looked really exciting.

Um, there aren't just new covers...she got a whole new revamp.

Gone is the maid is literally 'separates the eggs'.

Hello to Amelia as a child, yes, a child...who is just as silly as her maid counterpart...only now she's young and hip and reminds me of Heidi Heckelbeck and the girls from the Babysitters Club.

Ugh.

The story is cute and end part that explains all the euphemisms and id
Leona
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At our 4th of July party this year, a was relating some memories from childhood that evidenced my "literal" nature. My friend told me about "Amelia Bedelia" who was a literal person as well and shared how much she enjoyed these books. I had never heard of them and got one from the library. Amelia is adorable and, although I can't say I was that literal, the book and illustrations were fun.
Nikki Morris
Amelia Bedelia and her entertaining adventures are amusing for sure. This time she takes us on her employment escapades from waitressing at the diner to a run in with the cop and Will Bill requesting she not operate a lemonade stand near his car lot.
Amanda
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun. I loved its innocence. I appreciated the absence of a bratty female lead that many books for this age group have. Amelia was sweet, hardworking and courageous. I loved the humor. A wonderful book. My 5 year old daughter throughly enjoyed it.
Ginny Daniels
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this new spin on Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish's nephew, Herman! Fun story about how Amelia has to raise money to pay for her half of a new bike. She has many misadventures, of course! This new Amelia is much more relatable for young children.
Molly Ritterbeck
What I liked about this book was that Amelia Bedelia did things her own way and when someone said something like ''Its on the house'' she would be trying to figure out the meaning of what that person just said.
Katrina Rogers
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: frenzym
I really liked the part where she gets the new bike. This book was the best book I ever read. It was very entertaining. I’m going to read Unleashed next. (FrenzyM -age 8)
Emily Somers
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids gave this book 5 stars because “she got a new bike and was the star of the parade!” But it’s my account and although I liked it, the originals were better...compromise at 4 stars!
Isabelle
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amelia-bedelia
I like this book because it is funny. And because Amelia Bedelia is crazy.
Addison Moen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
loved it so good
Larry Piper
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, we just hired ourselves a brand new pastor for our church. Her name is Emelia. Naturally, the thing that popped into my mind was Amelia Bedelia, which sounds similar, although spelled slightly differently. anyway, I just had to read an Amelia Bedelia book. I hope our new pastor will forgive me.

So, this book is full of plays on words. Young children, it seems, tend not to understand figures of speech, so take things literally. In this book, Amelia Belelia wants a new bike, but her parents te
Beth
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is kind of the same Amelia Bedelia I grew up with but kind of not. I just don’t know where this lands as a chapter book. Part of it was old fashioned and then part was hip and trendy. What was most frustrating reading this was the combination of the play on words and then the writing was over-infused with complex vocabulary. It took out the fun of the play on words! Too much of a good thing is exactly that—too much. I found myself going “what does that word even mean?!” during each chapter. ...more
Simone
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
OK I was expecting to like this because so many students have read them in my classroom and I never had. I did not like her getting up on the counter to step on the pie. It was not funny and it was bad behavior and she never said why she did it. I guess that bothers me, as a teacher...I also don't really like the smart aleck kind of talking back that is "cute". This is very popular right now and it's so Pippi Longstocking like and I just don't think kids need to read this. I'm giving my books aw ...more
Cole Ramirez
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I think we'll revisit these when my kids can actually read them themselves. Figures of speech and phrases with dual meanings (which obviously are the whole point of Amelia Bedelia) go over my little ones' heads and if I'm going to read something they don't fully understand, I'd rather it be a classic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (The Critter Club, #1)
  • Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Frog and Fly
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • The Case of the Mixed-Up Mutts (The Buddy Files, #2)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Be Careful What You Sniff For (Magic Bone, #1)
  • Pinkalicious and the Pinkatastic Zoo Day
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Penguin Problems (The Life of Ty, #1)
Herman Parish is the author of Amelia Bedelia children's book series, nephew of original author, Peggy Parish. Having grown up with his aunt’s tales of Amelia’s humorous misadventures, Herman decided to carry on the legacy after his aunt’s death in 1988. He did not wish to entrust the future of the series into the hands of a children’s author outside of the family. Since Peggy had the summers off ...more

Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia Unleashed (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #2)
  • Amelia Bedelia Road Trip! (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books, #3)
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Wild! (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #4)
  • Amelia Bedelia Shapes Up (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Book #5)
  • Amelia Bedelia Cleans Up (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #6)
  • Amelia Bedelia Sets Sail (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #7)
  • Amelia Bedelia Dances Off (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #8)
  • Amelia Bedelia on the Job (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #9)
  • Amelia Bedelia Ties the Knot (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #10)
  • Amelia Bedelia Makes a Splash (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Book #11)
“Chapter 14: The Bike Wheel of Fate Turns Excerpt from Amelia Bedelia Chapter Book #2: Amelia Bedelia Unleashed Chapter 1: The Big Question About the Author and Illustrator Two Ways to Say It Copyright About the Publisher Amelia” 0 likes
“Bedelia never meant to lead a pack of dogs on a wild-goose chase. She never meant to steal something and then sell it. She never meant to make someone look bad (very bad) or lead a parade astray or even stomp on a piece of perfectly delicious cherry pie. But all that and more actually happened.” 0 likes