Start by marking “Global Frequency” as Want to Read:
Global Frequency

Global Frequency

(Global Frequency #1-2)

WARREN ELLIS ACOMPAÑADO POR 12 DIBUJANTES DISTINTOS, DE LA TALLA DE SIMON BISLEY, GENE HA, CHRIS SPROUSE O GLENN FABRY.
Global Frequency es la red global de rescate más importante del planeta. Miranda Zero es su directora de operaciones. Agujeros negros, terroristas, zombis… no hay problema que Global Frequency no pueda solucionar.
Hardcover, Colección Cómic USA, 296 pages
Published 2009 by Norma Editorial

To ask other readers questions about Global Frequency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Global Frequency

Start your review of Global Frequency
Anne
What?
I don't get it. I mean, normally when something opens up in the middle of the action with little to no explanation as to what's happening or why, it's a good idea to sit back and wait.
Because eventually the backstories and reasons behind the story will be explained.

description

But if you think that's what will happen here, you'll be sorely disappointed. <--I know I was.

description

Everything you're going to find out about the mysterious Global Frequency is in the blurb.
Everything.
The stories themselves are jus
Trish
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This volume collects all 12 issues of Global Frequency. As such, it tells 12 different stories that come to life through the art of 12 different artists. I will not pretend to know the different artists. I must also admit that some of the art was not too good in my opinion (3 stars max) while other artists blew it out of the water.

I will not go into details of all the 12 standalone stories. Suffice it to say that they offer a glimpse into what the Global Frequency is. Miranda Zero started the re
Sud666
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Global Frequency was surprisingly good. This volume collects all the single issues into one.

The Global Frequency is a group of thousands of individuals who are all connected to this private frequency. They are all sorts of people- from intel agents to computer hackers, artists to parkour athletes...in the event of an emergency (generally a rescue operation of some sort) the Global Frequency jumps into action. Due to the huge disparity in the jobs and roles of the members they can sometimes respo
Chad
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how this hasn't got past the development stage of a TV series. The first 12 episodes have already been written even. They could be lifted as is from the graphic novel. That's how good this series is. This is Warren Ellis at his best.

The premise of the series is simple. 1,001 experts in their fields have committed to be on-call when disaster strikes. They fight alien technology, terrorists, government experiments gone wrong, etc.
A G
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Man, I wish I could say I loved this book. It’s got action, sharp writing, cool technology, and resplendent artwork. And yet it’s fundamentally unsatisfying because of what it is: a series of twelve well-crafted, self-contained, consequence-free action scenes.

For me, the episodic nature of this series is its undoing. You know going in that the Global Frequency agents are going to get the bad guys, so the book is devoid of any genuine sense of danger. Drama flies out the damn window, and you’re l
Michael Benavidez
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
I'm torn with this series.

The action is awesome, it runs all the way through with minimal stops for explanation. The situations are fantastic because the writing creates a whole world with such a limited experience. It's just 12 issues, all centered around action pieces and out of this world scenarios.

That's great and all, but there isn't any character development. Each issue is a new cast (save for two). Whenever shit hits the fan (because there are instances where things go smoothly) ther
Patrick
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a couple of years ago and commented that I wish there was more of a thread to tie this book together. Rereading it now, I realize that this was a monthly comic that has been collected in trade, and not a graphic novel/ one story. And for a year of comic books, it’s pretty great. Yes, there is not much of a thread from issue to issue, but if I was reading this month to month I would have dug it.
Nick Kives
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Warren Ellis mentioned in an interview that he wrote this book in response to 9/11. Not that attack of 9/11 but the response of people to it, and how some would say "I wish Superman(or whoever) were real to stop things like this." His response in this book is that it can be everyday people like us to stop these things. Each issue is a single issue about a single event, and a group of people (brought together by the Global Frequency) to stop a bombing, a virus release, etc.

Each issue has a diffe
Dan
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Special Ops team that operates on a global scale to save the world from threats. Not a believable story. I couldn't get into it.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Every second count. Isn’t that what they always say? Whether you’re drowning in the middle of a river or being held at gunpoint by a psychopathic serial killer, it’s within those precious seconds that everything can change and that means you either suffer a terrible death or live to see another day. But what if state-issued protection (police, army, etc.) wasn’t enough? What if the answer lied in a whole different system that didn’t abide by the
Sherif
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am a Warren Ellis fan, or at least I thought I was until I started reading that book.
I mean Trees was frustrating with its slow pace but this!!!!
I even joined goodreads specially to write this review.

I have never been so frustrated with a graphic novel as much as I have with Global Frequency. The story lines and the dialogues are so cheesy! They might appeal to a middle school kid.
Stories are fast-paced, dumb, unconvincing, and have no substance.
I am giving it a (very generous) two-star re
Christina Scholz
Too superficial plotlines; way too much violence. I'm beginning to suspect that all those simultaneous projects are wearing the author thin. If he could focus on fewer, I bet they'd be really good (again).

(Awesome art by Lee Bermejo again in one episode. I really like his style.)
Raja
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Some of these punchy serials were pretty interesting, others were just blah. Almost all of them felt just a little too short, probably due to the same format constraints that keep me from reading any comic series issue by issue.
Nuno R.
This is a good test for comics that rely so much on technology: read them 10, 12 years later. Global Frequency was published from 2002 to 2004 and it's fresh in 2015. It serves as a counterpoint to Transmetropolitan.

And it actually began when Transmetropolitan ended, in 2002. That other series was an anti-system delirium, centered around a single character, distilling heavy doses of hatred, scepticism, lucidity, humanism, sometimes all those at once. The leading character, a journalist, incarnat
Malin
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, cbr5
Global Frequency is an international, independent organisation founded by the mysterious and secretive Miranda Zero. It's made up from 1001 agents all over the world and deals with occurrences and situations too big, strange or dangerous to be handled by conventional means, such as eco-terrorism, mass hysteria, or secret government cyborgs out of control. The agents range from law enforcement representatives, both active and retired, professors, scientists, tech savvy teenagers, intelligence ope ...more
Nate
Warren Ellis is a master of the single issue comic. He consistently crafts 22-page stories that are compelling, succinct, and powerful, short stories you can pick up and enjoy without knowing anything. Whenever I read an Ellis comic, his reverence for the single issue comic as an art form shines through. Global Frequency, then, is a perfect showcase for Ellis’ single issue prowess. The series consists of 12 stories – each drawn by a different artist – about an intelligence organization that thwa ...more
Jason
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this, sad to see it had such a short run, excellent pace and the various artists on the issues where all top notch. This could and should have ran for longer so more background on the operatives could have been established. The mission impossible/man from uncle vibe i enjoyed and the fact that it was a rescue organisation was also very cool. Its a shame the proposed t.v. series never got past the pilot episode stage. I think toady this series would have gone further. Mr Ellis rocks again.
Max
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. People have been after me to read this for ages, and I'm so glad I finally took their advice. Warren Ellis writes some of the best single issues in comics—I came to Global Frequency expecting a long, slow build, like in Planetary, but found instead these chiseled, expansive issues, closer to his run on Moon Knight, but with Planetary's political edge. I'll be returning to this one in the near future.
Robert Davis
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
AWESOME!
Mike
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you on the Global Frequency? If not, I suggest you tune in as soon as possible.
Matt Stephens
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Global Frequency was a 12 issue, episodic miniseries written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by a roster of artists whom each drew a single issue for the Wildstorm imprint. This edition was released by Vertigo around a decade after the original release.

The book centers around a group of 1,001 skilled operatives known as Global Frequency and only has two major characters, the leader Miranda Zero and the dispatcher Aleph, the rest of the characters change from issue to issue except for issue 12 wh
Paul Spence

Benjamin
When things go wrong -- bionic men turned psychopathic killers, doomsday cults hold hostages, a burned church releases an angel, an old Russian bioweapon gets activated -- 1001 special agents get the call. Literally, they get a call from the agent who runs the information network, and they pool their special skills into saving people's lives. (Occasionally by killing a lot of people.)

If this sounds like a Warren Ellis pitch, that's because this is a very Warren Ellis comic: group of specialists
Philip Shade
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Remember back when you had to explain what a meme was to people? What about the first time you saw parkour? Did you know about military satellites dropping graphene rods on cities before GI Joe 2, in 2013?

Published '02-'04 is a "Global Frequency" is a collection of stand-alone action stories based around Global Frequency, a world wide rescue organization headed up by Miranda Zero. In each story Warren Ellis features what was then a cutting edge idea, or underground practice and makes it the them
Tobin Elliott
Absolutely phenomenal series, and obviously Ellis' baby, being that each of the twelve episodes are by a different, yet phenomenal artist(s). I have to say, stepping into this series with absolutely no expectations at all was a fun way to do it. I found this collection in a $5 trade bin at a comic shop, and bought it on the Warren Ellis name alone. No additional thinking about it.

With the exception of one of the twelve, these stories are set up in a similar fashion: Something's happened. Nearest
Rocky Sunico
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
My partner introduced me to this series and re-reading this in digital format just brought back all those good memories. This Ellis creation is a solid creation of the sort of science fiction espionage stories that most geeks could only dream of. Global Frequency is a very compelling concept-a global rescue operation that doesn't necessarily have magically amazing non-violent rescue machines like in the Thunderbirds, but they are still a global rescue operation. But they have guns.

I'm not selli
Grady
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Really appealing premise - 1001 quirky, highly trained, and often lethal volunteers distributed around the world are linked with realtime communications and serve as a global ‘rescue’ organization, taking down terrorists, mad scientists, and runaway automated weapons systems. The graphics are stylish and the characters are well drawn, always easy to follow who is who. What’s not to like? The hyperviolence, mostly, but connected to that, missed opportunities to explore a wider variety of tropes t ...more
John Shaw
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an older book by Ellis
Before he had risen to
comic book super God.
We see a lot of the common
threads that are present throughout
his work.
Secret organization
Fighting weird shit to save the world
The old ultra violence.
The Global Frequency
is a semi covert group
of operatives and specialists
who protect the world
from the shit that Old Bill can't.
From out of control killer cyborgs
to alien thought viruses.
The Global Frequency
with 1,000 members is there
to stop the weird shit from killing us.
Fu
Cassie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ellis tells this story again and again, but I don’t get tired of it. It’s basically the same concept as Planetary and The Injection. A group of unique individuals investigate weird stuff on a global scale. The hook this time is the Global Frequency, a network of 1001 individuals who each have a specialization useful to the organization, dedicated to rescuing people and saving lives.

The high points include Issue #2, “Big Wheel”, about a supersoldier driven mad by his enhancements, Issue #3, “Inva
Arun
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 *
It's a bunch of stand alone spy stories about a not so covert agency. You may get the same vibe as planetary minus the science fiction part. Art is amazing, and rightfully so, with a plethora of artists working on this arc. Each chapter is drawn by a different artist, even though the coloring is done by the same individuals throughout. Each artist brings his signature style, and guessing the name by just looking at the brush work can be a great game for the uber geeks. Since there isn't an
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Superman: Up in the Sky
  • Pulp
  • The Wake
  • Sentient
  • The Dark (comiXology Originals)
  • The Green Lantern, Vol. 1: Intergalactic Lawman
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book Three
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • Tremor Dose (comiXology Originals)
  • The Omega Men: The End is Here
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book Two
  • Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book One
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T

Global Frequency (2 books)
  • Global Frequency, Vol. 1: Planet Ablaze