Start by marking “The Fate of Mercy Alban” as Want to Read:
The Fate of Mercy Alban

The Fate of Mercy Alban

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  4,649 Ratings  ·  793 Reviews
From award-winning novelist Wendy Webb comes a spine-tingling mystery about family secrets set in a big, old haunted house on Lake Superior.

Grace Alban has spent twenty years away from her childhood home, the stately Alban House, for reasons she would rather forget. But when her mother's unexpected death brings Grace and her teen-age daughter home, she finds more haunting
Published February 5th 2013 by Hachette Books (first published 2013)

Mandy
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well....I have some serious issues with this book.

I wanted to love it. I really did. But I feel like it aimed too high. It wanted to be serious literature, when really, it's nothing more than a mass market paperback in disguise. A cosy mystery dressed up as a ghost story.

Problems I had...

1. The romance is so, so contrived, and one of a hundred things that was simply unbelievable. It starts abruptly, and the end up in bed together relatively quickly, even though he's a minister...really? Has the
Mutantreptile
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Character 1: "I know everything that's going on! You will understand everything...but first I have to wash my hair. "

Character 2: "I want to find out because my family is in danger, but we don't know why. All answers are apparently in this old manuscript, but I can't read this if the minister isn't here so I can flutter my eyelashes at him!"

Swiss Doctor: "You're in danger, but I can't tell you why because I have other patients to see."

And no one says anything because they are always too busy doi
Barb
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: gluttons for punishment
I'm amazed by the favorable reviews of this book. I'm disappointed that I was lured by M. J. Rose's quote "If Sarah Waters and Stephen King had a love child, it would be Wendy Webb!" I'm going to try very hard in the future to disregard author quotes promoting books. I've known for years that many of them are friends who travel in the same circles and are happy to write up a nice blurb for a fellow author's latest book. I'm offended on behalf of Sarah Waters and Stephen King by the comparison of ...more
Karen
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was a dark Friday night when I started The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb. I would have easily finished it that one night if it wasn’t so scary that I really wanted to pull a Joey and throw it in my freezer. Since it was a library book and also since I am a grown up, I decided just to put it down until the morning. I did have some chance to read it in the morning but due to a friend pulling me out of my reading cave for some social time I was forced to finish reading it that night- a night ...more
Erica
There's nothing I can say about this book that hasn't already been said in all the other one- and two-star reviews, and probably said better.

If I had to write a synopsis, it would look like this:
Grace Alban, a not-too-bright, rich, white woman who may have been influenced by B-list '40's noir movies, becomes embroiled in a melodramatic and drawn-out episode of Scooby Doo only without the Mystery Machine & Gang.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I loved this book which contains a little bit of everything.....there is murder (more than one!), mystery, family secrets, a little paranormal activity and just a smidgeon of romance.

Grace Alban returns to her childhood home, the stately Alban House, following her mother's unexpected death, bringing along with her her teen-age daughter. Long-buried family secrets, a packet of old love letters and a lost manuscript plunge Grace into a decades-old mystery starting with a long ago summer solstice p
Louise Behrendt
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am stumped as to why this book has received an average of four stars. This was a very average "ghost story" that seemed to be set in a house that sure seemed like the Congdon Mansion in Duluth. One star for that. Plus it seemed like the family was loosely based on Congdons themselves,no stranger to occasional murder and arson. One star for that, equalling two. Beyond that, I really wanted to like this book by a local author who seems to like to write these spooky/mystery/big old house on the G ...more
Kelly
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
One and a half stars is my true rating because I alternated between not liking it and thinking it was ok. I really, really wanted to like this book. Clearly it was based on the history of the Glensheen Mansion which I have visited a few times so I found that aspect intriguing. It hinted at ghosts and mysterious pasts and writers, all good elements in my favorite kind of spooky read. I kept with it only because I wanted to know what the ultimate outcome was.

Ultimately, the bad writing did me in

Amy
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wendy Webb’s latest novel, The Fate of Mercy Alban, should come with a warning label; from its opening pages readers will find it impossible to not read this book in one sitting. The plot is filled with tantalizing twists and turns that will keep readers turning pages until the many mysteries of this novel are resolved. Grace Alban and her teen aged daughter return the stately Alban House on the shores of Lake Superior after her mother’s sudden and unexpected death. After an absence of twenty ye ...more
Stephanie Mohler
I would love to live in this house- a mansion on the lake w/secret passages and rooms. Unfortunately, the book wasn't very good. The most interesting character dies in the 1st few chapters and we're left an unscary mystery that spans several generations, a stupid heroine, a gross romance between heroine and the local reverend, and a bratty teenager. Just not good...
Shelly♥
Grace returns to the family mansion on the shores of Lake Superior following the passing of her mother. She reexamines the tragedies that drove her away and confronts the family curse. Meanwhile an aunt long thought dead shows up with a nosy reporter ready to expose all of the families secrets. Grace needs to get to the bottom of what happened on the night her aunt disappeared so many years ago.

Oh Wendy Webb, I wanted to LOVE your book. I did. As a girl who grew up on the shores of Lake Superior
Kristen
Mar 06, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: gothic
I am 2% into this book and already have been yanked out of the story a number of times, by terrible cliches, and by words and phrases evoking ridiculous stereotypes. It's like there was no editor.

"...placing one hand, wrist slim as a reed, across her forehead..."

Adele is "brittle" and "unsteady" and yet without apparent cause other than being 70. Is the author 18 years old? Because 70 is hardly the advanced dotage she makes it out to be, at least not without an associated medical condition.

The
Diane S ☔
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a perfect book for reading during a snowstorm with the wind howling and the fire dancing. I love that authors are still writing ghost stories that do not depend on enormous amounts of gore and body parts. Just the words "Hospital for the Criminally Insane" sends shivers down my body. Don't think they are called that anymore, at least I don't think they are because of our new renaming of everything due to political correctness. Good solid story, of course one has to suspend whatever they ...more
❀⊱Rory⊰❀
Another solid read.

Gothic, creepy, a bit of paranormal and a horrible family secret.
Katie Kenig
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I love ghost stories. And haunted house stories. And stories set in old gothic houses. This is all three. And it's wonderfully done.

The Fate of Mercy Alban is a story about family secrets, set in a beautiful old mansion on Lake Superior. Well, beautiful and creepy. You see, the house is full of secret passages, little peepholes, tunnels to the beach, entire hidden rooms, and lots and lots and lots of secrets.

When Grace Alban's mother dies, in the old family manse, she heads home with her daught
TamraLyn Grace
Oh my freaking gosh! This is my favorite book so far this year. On a scale from 1 to 10 I would give this book an 11. I don't know whether to classify Fate of Mercy as a mystery or suspense, but I definitely classify it as a must read.

Fate of Mercy grabs your attention and never lets go. There is just enough suspense to make your heart beat harder and enough peace to not terrify you. They are sprinklings of beautiful romance and a real mother daughter relationship.

Wendy Webb has done a wonderfu
Lauren Fidler
how do you solve a mystery like a haunted mansion on the great lakes?

sigh.

look, it's a truth generally acknowledged round these parts that i'm a wimp. so, while i'm sure if i read this book in the broadest of daylight that i would have found it annoyingly cheesy, i didn't. i read it in the pitch black of night when everyone else in my house had the good common sense to be sleeping.

how's that for being born under a bad sign?

i'm not in love with any aspect of this novel. the names annoyed me, grac
Rita
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
More reviews : Sun/Salt + Letters

So, I am a chicken, in a big, BIG way.
That said, I would never pick this book up in a book store, just because of the whole ghost story thing..
That's why I'm so thankful to Goodreads giveaways.

I just loved it, it's very creepy, but not being too much..
Pacing starts picking up after introductions are made, but I could not put this down. Read it in a couple of days and that was only because I had no time to read in one sitting.

The romance is not very good, but si
Ian
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
description

After the death of her mother in mysterious circumstances, Grace returns to her childhood home, a home she fled many years earlier. But strange happenings are afoot and with the help of the local preacher she investigates the suspicious death of a writer and the disappearance of her mother's best friend which happened 50 years earlier. As she searches for answers, the evil which haunts the halls is toying with her and those she loves.

The Fate of Mercy Alban is a Gothic Horror in the style of Dap
Sara
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars

I wish I could give this book 10/5 stars! It was AMAZING. This is the second book that I've read by Wendy Webb, and let me just say that I liked it far more than The Vanishing. This was a real page turner, and I finished it in less than 48 hours. The characters were all pretty average, but it was the plot that really drew me in.

This book is like a story within a story, and both stories are pretty creepy. I was constantly on the edge of my seat trying to figure out the mystery facing the
Ashley
Overall, I greatly enjoyed the mystery of this story. It kept me on the edge most of the time...but at a certain point a little over halfway through, it became pretty predictable and too drawn out. Also, the daughter, Amity, really detracted from the story. I rewrote quite a bit in my mind to make the novel bearable. First, I have a hard time believing Amity was 16. In order to finish the story without being annoyed I decided she could really only be 10 years old based on her behavior. Additiona ...more
Mary
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by this author. I was attracted to the cover, and I'm a sucker for a good Gothic mystery, so I gave it a read. It was very good. While I can't say it kept me guessing til the end it was still very compelling and well written. The story line was intriguing from modern day and the past told through a found manuscript worked really well. I will definitely be reading more of Ms Webb's books.
Kimberly
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Five star, beautifully and perfectly written, atmospheric, spooky, engaging, strikes from page one, not a dull moment, deep family secrets, nail-biting, up-till-2am reading, fantastic book.

I loved it. I feel this book will knock your socks off. Its a wonderful read for a stormy day, curled up somewhere, or out on the beach under an umbrella. I think this is one of the best books Ive read in years.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I really wanted to like this because it was a fairly unique twist on family secrets-slash-ghost stories. But then Wendy Webb revealed all the secrets by just having the old people finally admit that they knew everything all along and just didn't want to say anything sooner. What a lazy form of storytelling, and what a giant disappointment.
Tanja Berg
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Rating 4* out of 5. I considered deducting a star for slightly amateurish writing, a few too many clichés and a couple of plot holes - but I didn't. All in all the mystery is well-built, the dramatic tension is fantastic and there is definitely a full score for entertainment. I thoroughly ejoyed it, despite my initial misgivings.

Grace Alban returns to her childhood home upon her mothers death. The family is filthy rich, to put it mildly, and the house is huge. However, Grace has stayed away for
Melanie
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
As many other mentioned, this book can be one you read in one sitting because you can't put it down. However, I did so in the hopes that the book would get better or the ending would be worth the effort through the weak and choppy parts, but alas that was not the case. The book is touted as a ghost story, but there are no ghosts, but instead witchcraft to "explain" the happenings. This element just didn't work and completely killed the mystery. We're supposed to believe that after Mercy came bac ...more
Beth
Oct 07, 2014 marked it as gave-up-on
Gave up at page 76, shortly after Reverend Yum Yum *cough* I mean Parker showed up. Nothing raises my heckles like some contrived instalove that contributes absolutely nothing to the overall story. Should have given up at page 43 when Graces' long dead father shows up in her dream, dripping wet from the water that he presumably drowned in. Other than some general creepiness and hammed up 'something bad is going to happen' vibe, the watery ghost came out of nowhere.

This book was like angel food
Dianne
I love a good Gothic Mystery this has a lot of twists and turns along the way.

Sarah Jude
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Wendy Webb. I really do. She does a fantastic job with atmosphere, and honestly, she was one of the nicest writers I met several years back. We traded ghost stories, and I really have enjoyed her other work. And that's why it's hard for me to give this one a lower rating because I know what she's capable of as a writer. How she gets me to the edge of my seat and feverishly turning the pages, how every little creak of the house could be the book coming to life. And this one tried really ha ...more
Natalie
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Madison Mega-Mara...: (#20) The Fate of Mercy Alban 1 3 Mar 04, 2013 02:53PM
  • The Haunting of Maddy Clare
  • Ghost Song
  • The Strangers on Montagu Street (Tradd Street, #3)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black
  • A Study in Revenge (Archie Lean #2)
  • A Murder at Rosamund's Gate  (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #1)
  • A Place of Secrets
  • The Drowning House
  • Beneath the Shadows
  • The Small Hand and Dolly
  • Grange House
WENDY WEBB's novels are mysteries about long-buried family secrets, set in big, old haunted houses on the Great Lakes.

THE END OF TEMPERANCE DARE (2017, Lake Union) is set in a former tuberculosis sanatorium on Lake Superior, now a renowned retreat for artists and writers. When Eleanor Harper takes the helm as its new director and her first batch of visiting artists arrives, she begins to suspect t
More about Wendy Webb...