Start by marking “Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)” as Want to Read:
Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)

Pete's Big Lunch

(Pete the Cat: I Can Read!)

In this cool beginning reader, Pete uses creativity to create a delicious sandwich and then teaches readers about the joy of sharing with friends. Pete the Cat: Pete's Big Lunch is a My First I Can Read book, which means it's perfect for shared reading with a child.

Don't miss Pete's other adventures, including Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, Pete the Cat: Rocking in M
Published February 26th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete's Big Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete's Big Lunch

Start your review of Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
Sophia Triad
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
What can your child learn from this book?

Being creative. What kind of food can you fit inside a sandwich?
Getting perspective. How many things can you actually fit inside a sandwich?
Learning her/his limits. Can I really eat this huge sandwich all by myself?
Acknowledging his/her friends. Are there actually people out there that they would like to eat a sandwich with me?
Appreciating sharing. Will I make my friends happy if I share my sandwich with them?

I believe this little, sweet, educative, funny
Joood Hooligan
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review by my 5 year old:

​I liked it because he couldn't fit all the lunch in his mouth, so he called his friends so they could eat with him. It is good to share, and it makes everyone happy.
Mya
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice story. I really like how they snuck the lesson in at the end.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it

I know I have shouted out by love of Pete the Cat before, but I just can’t help myself. I LOVE Pete! His blue, true, laid-back ways always make me smile.

A new “I Can Read!” series with Pete captures all the energy, warmth, and fun of his picture books in big, clear, simple words for readers just starting their journey into the magical world of words.

Pete sets out to make a sandwich with pickles, cheese, eggs, hot dogs, and a can of beans! Haha…What? It could be yummy. :D But as the layers of fo
Michael Sedor
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
bacchanalian refrigerator raiding is exactly what will happen when the cats take over
Zoey
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was funniest book EVER!
Villain E
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pete makes a sandwich. By which I mean he makes a big pile of food. The story is simplistic, maybe appropriate for new readers.
Mary
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My girls and I love Pete the Cat. In this adventure, great to read to emerging readers, Pete tries to make himself a sandwich. He adds all of his favorite things, but before too long, Pete realizes this sandwich is WAY too big for him. So, he invites his friends over to share his big lunch. Everyone has a great meal, and a great time, and thanks Pete for sharing.

My daughter chose this book as her prize at Barnes and Noble for reading over the summer break. It's a paperback, short and sweet. Th
Cara Byrne
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like _The Bad Banana_, _Big Lunch_ is another favorite in my household. The odd food items reminds us of _The Very Hungry Caterpillar_ in the best way.
Caryn Caldwell
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Pete the cat is hungry, so he decides to make a sandwich, but when he starts building it he simply can't stop. Pretty soon his sandwich is way too big for him to eat alone, so he invites all his friends to join him for lunch. After all, as he says, "Sharing is cool."

This is a fun, silly tale with a nice message about sharing at the end. Many students will enjoy watching Pete's absurd sandwich grow out of control -- way too big for one cat to eat.

Please note: Although this book is billed as an ea
midnightfaerie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Our family loves pete the cat. My 5 yr old is taking a pete the cat class at the library next week. We can't wait! Even my 2 yr olds love these stories! And the illustrations are excellent!
Kaylin and Liam
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LIAM'S REVIEW (7 years old)
This book is so cool. I saw the dog still have a cracker! lol I think everyone should read it.
Ashley
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's the first learn-to-read book my preschooler actually showed interest in. For that, 5 stars.
Pete Ford
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't judge me, it was a gift and it counts. :-)
Lauren Randles
Pete the Cat: Pete's Big Lunch has a moral of the story, sharing. Pete had fixed a large lunch and instead of saving it all for himself (knowing he could not finish it), he invited friends over to share his lunch with. All of Pete's friends gathered around the table for lunch devouring the food. When the food was gone and everyone was finished Pete's friends did not forget to say, "Thanks for sharing!" Of course, Pete uses his manners and responds with "You're welcome." He even says "Sharing is ...more
A Allen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is just a silly story about Pete making a huge sandwich with odd ingredients because the sandwich is "missing something" only to discover in the end that it is too big to eat alone. Pete then invites all his friends over to share his lunch. It is cute that Pete invites all his friends over in the end (and my students love that Pete is friends with a dog), but this sort of silliness just isn't for me. I read this story because my students enjoy the silliness of making such a ridiculous sandw ...more
Suzannah Thompson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pete takes the reader on an adventure through lunch - an event to which all children can relate. Pete assembles contents of his refrigerator into a silly sandwich.

This book is great. The colorful, simple illustrations hold kids' attention. The story is just silly enough to keep them engaged.

I would use this book in therapy to assess several different phonemes. Also, it's an easy way to look at how the child handles books physically. It also allows me, as a clinician, to see if the client underst
Rachel Herrington
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Pete the Cat takes us on another adventure as he decides what to eat for lunch. Pete is very hungry, so he decides on making a sandwich. First, he gets bread, a fish, a tomato, and mayo. His sandwich is still too small though, so he adds more and more ingredients, until finally, his sandwich is too big! What will Pete do with a sandwich that is just too big for him to eat? This fun book teaches kids about sharing. It also has good repetition to create a better understanding of the meaning of the ...more
Samantha Remley
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a very cute beginning level book for new readers. It was full of great sight words and "picture reading." (Meaning the students can look at the pictures and guess/ know what the text is saying.) The book was about Pete building a sandwich based on all the things he loves. This would be a great book the have in a kindergarten classroom library. It can be used as a book that students can individually read or as a reading group. Overall, I liked this book as a beginning level book.
Evan Teter
This story about Pete the Cat is about Pete making lunch, but every time he adds an ingredient he feels that something is missing. Once his sandwich becomes too big for him to eat himself, he still feels that something is missing. He calls up his friends to see of they want to help him eat it, and he realizes that what was missing was his friends; he just wanted to share! This is a great read aloud book for early readers who are learning about sharing.
Makiyah Cheeks
I loved Pete the Cat: Pete’s Big Lunch! it showed me how to make a great meal and second if I make to much food for me to eat along I can just invite my friends over! This was such a cute book on sharing, this book also had good illustrations and instructions. I would share this book in my future classroom by telling the students that sharing is always caring and sometime you can even benefit by sharing(like Pete because he got to eat with his friends).
Kristin Fisher
This is a good book for beginning readers, as the illustrations show exactly what the text is saying. A lot of the words repeat throughout the story and the sentences are simple. Good book to use to teach students about the different punctuations and how to change your tone when reading sentences that end in different punctuation.
Katie Ellsworth
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute book for sharing. My daughter loves to read the Pete the Cat books and has ever since she was a baby. This would be an easy book to use in the classroom to teach the children the benefits of sharing and how to share. Very colorful and creative so also very appealing to the children eye.
Meg McGregor
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lexi-victoria
The girls and I simply loved this story!

Pete can really eat!

On his sandwich he piled on....

a yummy fish, tomato, mayo, an apple, crackers, a pickle, cheese, an egg, two hot dogs, a banana, and a can of beans!

Wisely, he decides he can't eat all this, by himself!

So Pete invites his friends to help him eat his sandwich!

After all,"Sharing is cool!"
Sereen Hudaib
This book is useful when teaching children about different types of food, healthy and unhealthy food, and various things that we eat. Also, this is a great book to use when teaching about sharing and the joy of sharing. The vocabulary of this book are easy and simple, and the illustrations are engaging for children, everybody loves Pete the cat.
Kimberly Medley
The illustrations of this book have the traditional James Dean style and the simple images contrast well with the color and black outline images. This book has a simple story plot and can be a good book for pre-k to kindergarten students to begin to read. Teachers can utilize this book in an activity for what they're students like to eat for lunch and have them draw their yummy items.
Mary Greer Thomas
Good book for teaching young children about building, sharing, and their social emotional skills. This book can be used as ways to identify different foods. It can be used to identify who eat what foods. So it can be used to cross domains into health and safety as well as play for the imagination of animals communicating. Enjoyable read.
Danielle Purlee
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture story book (fiction) that would be good for beginning readers so kindergarten and first grade. One unique feature about this book is that there are a lot of pictures that the students can use to figure out what each word might be.
Leigh Triplett
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pete-the-cat
This book encourages children to share throughout the story. Pete makes a giant sandwich while he is hungry but realizes it is too big for him to eat all alone. The pictures are colorful and entertaining to look at.
Wolfgang
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a lot of differences between this PTC story and the other PTC stories. There are like, no similarities. I love that.
I liked this book a lot. I already know how to share and I don’t really like to and I don’t really have to that often.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eric Litwin? 1 1 May 24, 2013 04:01PM

• Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • Paddington's Adventures (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
  • Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Tooth Fairy's Night
  • Pete the Cat: Big Easter Adventure
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Cat Boogie
  • I Just Forgot (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues
  • I Love You Already!
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Pete the Cat and the New Guy
  • Purplicious

Pete the Cat: I Can Read! (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • Pete the Cat: Scuba-Cat
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Pete the Cat and the Lost Tooth (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: Snow Daze