Start by marking “The Heir” as Want to Read:
The Heir

The Heir

(Reid Family #1)

The many wondrous gifts of Johanna Lindsey—her fiery and endearing characters, her enthralling stories, her ingenious blending of passion, wit, and emotion—are all on glorious display in this unforgettable tale about an unwanted title and an unexpected love.

Has anyone in London ever taken part in the coming-out Season with less enthusiasm than Sabrina? Luckily,
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published December 26th 2012 by Avon (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Vanessa
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No passion. No romance.

This book is about a handsome Scottish heir coming down to England and struggling with an unwanted arranged engagement with a bratty but gorgeous and the most desirable woman in London. And she isn't even suppose to be the female lead character!

Sabrina, the female lead character, is constantly described in this book by characters as being plain-looking and unwanted by men. Hardly what any readers want in the female lead. So she has a great personali
Book Wonderland
There was so much stupid, unnecessary drama in this book, it was a disappointment.
I had a lot of problems with this book, first of all Ophelia was really annoying, one of the worst characters ever. I hated her actions.
Then there we have our hero, Duncan. I wasn't very pleased with him either. I didn't like how long it took for him to realise he loves Sabrina more than just a friend. Sabrina was alright though, not a very exciting character, but she's okay.
I hated the twists and turn
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
The Heir was an enjoyable story. I loved the H/H Duncan MacTavish and Sabrina. The secondary characters were very good Duncan's grandfathers Neville and Archie were a Hoot!! Sabrina had to maiden aunts who were very entertaining too.

Overall a great believable Historical Romance. It hits all the notes I love in this genre. Rich, Titled Lord who is kind,sexy and handsome. Kind generous Young Heirion. Just a fast moving and very good story.
MAP
Mar 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
Well this is what happens when you accidentally leave your own books at home and end up rooting through a family member's attic for reading material.

What the hell was this? I recognize it was just a romance novel, not some Pulitzer prize winner, but the dialogue was atrocious and incredibly contrived and forced, the innumerable (and unnecessary) twists and turns lead to a still pathetically predictable ending (oh surprise surprise at who got who....and I don't just mean the main 2. Y
Didi
I can't believe I've had this tucked away in my drawer for so long and only read it now. I loved this story of unexpected love. Sabrina is a country girl brought to London for her first ever season. She lives with her two spinster aunts and can only survive the big city by being taken under the wing by the most beautiful and sought after debutante, Ophelia Reid.
Ophelia is promised to a Scottish Highlander, Duncan MacTavish, but she's been spreading rumours about him and his barbaric ways hoping
Manju
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My My...a story can twist and turn so much. literally as if just for the purpose of having a thick novel, the author put up so many obstacles in the way of the marriage between the main characters.
Kathie (katmom)
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Duncan...he enjoyed LAUGHING with Sabrina...and Sabrina could make him laugh heartily. A Hero that likes to laugh...and not be all serious and ALPHA all the time...what a refreshing change!

Duncan needs to marry...his Scottish grandfather wants him to choose someone GORGEOUS...His English grandfather just wants him to choose...and get some heirs.

Duncan is a bit shocked as he's only 21 and no one told him that he was going to inherit the English title.

He
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was an enjoyable book. It was a different type of book for Lindsey but had her familiar and enjoyable writing style. I was getting a bit worried because it seemed like it took a while for things to get going between Duncan and Sabrina, and Ophelia was annoying the heck out of me. That's why I put it down...for quite a while. An online reading buddy encouraged me to continue it and I am glad. It was a comedy of manners and dealt with the machinations of Duncan's grandfathers to get him marri ...more
Chumchum_88
I really liked this book, and truth be told I had my doubts it would be, but I gladly can admit that I was mistaken.

The story itself was splendidly done, and I loved all the characters, Johanna Lindsey had a way that made us love all the characters, my favorites were both grandfathers but I have to admit that I liked Neville more, Rafe of course, and lastly the main couple.

Sabrina was my favorite character of all in here, she was just so full of life and love, she liked p
Readitnweep
I was drawn to keep reading, even as I found so many things I didn't like. Sabrina was likeable enough as the protagonist, if only that. She was flat at times, showing little emotion. Duncan was more interesting because he was more dimensional than she. Neither were characters that will haunt the imagination hours after I've put the book down.

Other problems were the literary conveniences, of which there were many. Duncan, a single man, would just go up to Ophelia's room at night to g
Susan (susayq ~)
Ophelia is a lying, manipulative, spiteful, wretched woman who should have been run over by her horse and carriage. Oh wait, this wasn't Ophelia's story. This was Duncan and Sabrina's story. And what a happy ending they got...with Ophelia not making it easy for them. I do wish we could have seen more of Duncan and Sabrina together. Can I hope that I see them again in the rest of the series? Especially since the next book is Ophelia's story. I can't wait to see what the author does to change my o ...more
Leona
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I read this book many years ago, and it remains one of my all time favorite historical romances, mostly because the heroine is so delightful. She is witty, charming, kind and above all practical. It drags a little about 2/3 of the way through, but I can forgive it because the rest is so wonderful. Especially the ending.

He can burn his boots at my fireplace anytime. : - )
Olivia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Don't know why I finished this book. Leads were annoying, plot was boring. I must have been desperate.
Chitra *CJ*
Have you ever wondered what would happen if present day reality TV and bratty teenagers lived in the Victorian era?
Then this book will definitely solve that riddle for you.
"The Heir" is the story of Sabrina and Duncan.
Plain looking Lady Sabrina is from the dukedom, yet past tragedies have made her an outcast and an amusement in the eyes of the ton. When she is invited by the gorgeous Lady Ophelia to be a houseguest before she gets engaged to her "barbarian Half Scot f
MaryD
I started reading the library's copy, but found so many passages I wanted to highlight that I bought the Kindle version. Maybe I should have stuck to the hard copy because there were so many typos that it really pulled me out of the story.

That said, I enjoyed the dilemma that Duncan MacTavish was forced into and how he solved it, though I *did* think he took way too long to realize his love. I liked the way that the "evil woman" got her comeuppance, but there seemed to be a lot of ex
Katy
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 3.75 mainly because it felt like it dragged quite a bit toward the end and the whole needing to find Mavis bit seemed a little too contrived. I absolutely loved Sabrina though, probably one of my favorite heroines in along time. And her and Duncan’s relationship just worked for me, he was another surprise in that he was a little broody but a lot sweet. Such a fun read but even though I have all the feels for Lord Locke I don’t think Ophelia is redeemable in my eyes, hated her, so not s ...more
Yankeecountess
This is the first book I've ever read by Johanna Lindsey. I've seen her stuff on shelves for ages, and would certainly rate her amongst the first romance novelists I remember hearing about as a child. I've seen "mixed reviews" for her work here, including this specific book, so I went in prepared for the possible worst...and I'm happy to say that I actually really liked the story.

That isn't to say that the book doesn't have its flaws, and I'll get to that in a minute. But overall, it
Runell
This is my second novel by Johanna Lindsey, and sadly I didn't love it nearly as much as my first but I still ended up liking and enjoying this book. It was very frustrating at times, and Ophelia was one of the worst characters I've ever read about and seeing as the next book is about her, I'm very curious to see if I'll come out liking her.
Kate H
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johanna Lindsey is an author I have read for many years and while her books are not amazing they are a good solid rainy afternoon escape. I think the best part of her books are the characters who are multi-faceted and keep me engaged in the book.
Javané
Mar 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth it

I want to start out by saying I read this book for the first time several years ago when it was new on the shelves. I was maybe 11 at the time I don't recall, but I do remember thinking the book was very Good and I enjoyed it. So when, years later, I stumbled across it in the kindle edition I thought it would make a great re-read. I couldn't have been more wrong; and I can only attribute my thinking this book was good to youth and I may have exaggerated it in my memory. DO NOT
Jonel
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey’s definitely done it again. She had me hooked from beginning to end with this one. I found the storyline to be intriguing and unforgettable. I also appreciate the fact that she places her stories completely in the time period at hand. She makes them enjoyable and accessible to modern readers without taking liberties with the history and conventions of the time. The narrator for the audio version was brilliant. She could make even the worst book enjoyable. Paired with this entertaining st ...more
Ange H
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

This novel should have one of those taglines underneath the title. It would read like this:

Did you know that if your friend rapes you in a coach, you can't get pregnant?

Because that is actually the central premise of the book. And it's not even the MOST ridiculous thing about the book. All the characters behave in ways that no human being has ever behaved. They have to keep explaining WHY they did or said something, since it all makes a
Marianne
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, own-paper
I suppose I liked this book in spite of numerous problems. It started out very appealing, ended happily, and had a middle full of highly contrived plot devices and a heroine who as TSTL. Don't get me wrong. I liked her. Her humor was delightful but there just wasn't enough of it and it was more than offset by those angsty, insecure moments when she was falling for every lie Ophelia spun even though she had plenty of evidence that the woman was pure poison.

Mostly, there just weren't e
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Duncan MacTavish finds himself summond to the bedside of Lord Neville Thacheray his grandfather. He finds himself being told that he has now a fiancee, whom he doesn't want. So Duncan just takes Ophelia home so they can begin their almost married life together. Duncan gets to know her a lot, along with a million other young ladies. So naturally Ophelia gets jealouse but doesn't know what to do about it. Especailly because Duncan meets Sabrina, he thinks of her as specail. But rumors and inuendos ...more
Anisashraf
Wrong time, wrong book.. I can't judge the book properly, because cannot digest this book. Many pages I skipped. I read till the end just to know the ending. In my mind, Johanna Lindsey's books worth to read, so I keep on..

“Brina, lass, will you marry me?”

She ought to explain, but in the end all she could get out was, “No.”

He wasn’t expecting that answer. His expression said as much, the surprise, the hurt he quickly masked, the stiffness that came next. But he wouldn’/>
“Brina,
Ana
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a mess! It started out really funny and interesting. But unfortunately the story faltered and lost it big time. From that "room" debacle...it was downhill all the way!
(view spoiler) ...more
Patria
Nov 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: johanna-lindsey
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Not as impassioned as the other Lindsey novel that I have read. I was not gong-ho excited. I was honestly ready for it to be over with and not in a good way. I can't put my finger on it but this was missing something that I have grown to love in Lindsey's novels.

I am happy though to see that the underdog has a back bone and a quick wit. She is competent and easy going. I will continue on to the next story in the series just to follow through for updates to the characters I meet in th
phoebess
I had to fan myself while reading this book—when Duncan was speaking, to be exact, with his oh-so-yummy Scottish brogue. I do love books with Scots almost unconditionally. And yes, I know it's not very healthy but... Shut up!
Scottish brogue aside, the story was entertaining and almost all characters were well written and lovable. I said "almost" because I still have some reservations about Ophelia, even after all those years since I've read it for the first time.
Tuesday's Child
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reading with an interesting enough plot. Great if you are looking for entertainment without much thinking...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #2)
  • The Taste of Innocence (Cynster, #14)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • Pirate
  • Infamous (DeWarenn, #2)
  • The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1)
  • Lord of Raven's Peak (Viking, #3)
  • The Border Lord's Bride (The Border Chronicles, #2)
  • Rebellious Desire
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Li

Reid Family (4 books)
  • The Devil Who Tamed Her (Reid Family, #2)
  • A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)
  • Let Love Find You (Reid Family, #4)
“Duncan would not have been impressed had he known all of that.He was hoping their first meeting would be their last.They were to become great friends,though.They just didn't know it yet.” 0 likes