Start by marking “The Lunar Tao: Meditations in Harmony with the Seasons” as Want to Read:

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From Taosim expert Ming-Dao Deng comes The Lunar Tao: Meditations in Harmony with the Seasons, bringing to life the Chinese Lunar Calendar via the prism of Taoism.

In The Lunar Tao, each day of the Lunar year is represented with a reading meditation, beautiful Chinese illustrations, and interesting facts about the festivals and traditions, providing readers with the context
Published January 29th 2013 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Lunar Tao, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lunar Tao

Kenneth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
The description of this book tells you that there is a meditation for every day of the year, information about festivals, gods, spirits, and Taoist practices organized around the changing seasons. What you don't get is how beautiful this book is and how much information is here. It is huge and dense and worth the time to get through it.
When reading the I Ching or a book like this, the difference between the Neo-Paganism of Europe and the European disapora with it's huge gap of time between the
Mufidah Kassalias
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My partner, Sean M. Madden, has written an extensive review of The Lunar Tao which you can read on Mindful Living Guide, along with his recent interview with Deng Ming-Dao.
Sean Madden
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The below is an excerpt from a review I published on my MindfulLivingGuide.com blog on 25 January 2013, just prior to the book being released. A few days later I published an extended interview with Deng Ming-Dao here.

by Deng Ming-Dao
HarperOne/HarperCollins
464 pages
$18.99

Fans of bestselling author Deng Ming-Dao will be pleased to hear that he has a new book on offer beginning 29 January — just in time for the Chinese New Year, falling in 2013
Shaun
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful daily book of Taoist philosophy and meditations linked with the changing of the seasons and the traditional lunar calendar. There is so much to take in here. An example: Each day's entry is book-ended by a two-line poem that takes as its first line the last line of the page before, creating a grand round over the course of the year. Like the moon's own phases, this shows how each moment is linked to both past and future, how time and life are cyclical. The sidebars and full pages hig ...more
Kyle
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I committed to reading this and the Tao the Ching in 2014 because I wanted to understand the Taoist concept of the universe. Of the 365 entries, I've earmarked about 25 that were especially profound and are worth routinely revisiting. Of those 25, there are about 3-4 ideas that have permanently influenced me towards a much broader sense of balance in life. Over all, it's a good introduction to the Tao and how we might conceptualize it today.
Temple
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an unusual insight to Taoism. As we all grow with the seasons, to explore Taoism from this perspective, with the meditiations, and stories tied together, we are transported to the inner philosophy. This book touches the innate being, bringing thought, recognition, and the thirst for spirituality, together in harmony and light. This is a book that I will reread many times...at least once in conjuction with the seasons!
Bryant
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, insightful, educational and beautiful book.
One of my favorites. I highly recommend it!
Shannon Dillman
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book!! Use it daily.
Rob
Apr 05, 2013 is currently reading it
This one is a daily read... one section for each day of the lunar year.
Merri-Todd Webster
Dec 20, 2016
Jacques
Mar 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Glimpse After Glimpse: Daily Reflections on Living and Dying
  • Ta Hio: The Great Learning of Confucius
  • Transforming the Mind: Teachings on Generating Compassion
  • The Art of True Healing: The Unlimited Power of Prayer and Visualization
  • On the Warrior's Path: Philosophy, Fighting, and Martial Arts Mythology
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • What Is Tao?
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • Beauty, Disrupted: A Memoir
  • Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance
  • The Spine of the Continent: The Most Ambitious Wildlife Conservation Project Ever Undertaken
  • See No Evil
  • The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life