Start by marking “A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)

A Dash of Magic

(The Bliss Bakery #2)

Rosemary Bliss will do anything to get back her family's magical Cookery Booke.

That's why she challenges Aunt Lily to an international baking competition in Paris: If Rose wins, Lily agrees to return the cookery Booke that she stole. If Rose loses...well, the consequences are too ugly to think about.

But Lily isn't playing fair--she's using a magical ingredient to cheat. Th
Published February 12th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Magic, please sign up.
Sabrina Simões It's my favorite from the series, depends on you but I say: it's very good!!
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlBliss by Kathryn LittlewoodA Dash of Magic by Kathryn LittlewoodLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelCake by Joyce Magnin
Magic in the Mix
28 books — 21 voters
Vanity Fare by Megan CaldwellThe Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel FrederickThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderWhen in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth HarbisonChristmas at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan
must read
193 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)
Bookworm1858
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great sequel!

Source: Received an ARC from Jen Ryland/YA Romantics (thanks so much!)

Spoilers for book one as I'll recap it

My review of book one Bliss found me liking it but not loving it the way I wanted to; some of the elements were too cringe worthy and predictable to me. But I still liked the world and the concept so I was pleased to return. In the end, I liked this book a lot more and I am so glad to have had the chance to read it.

To recap, the end of Bliss featured Aunt Lily getting her hand
Jaime
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this proof read-copy book from first-reads on goodreads. I actually bought the first one in the series so I could read them in order. I thought the first one was just ok but this second one was so much better! This time the whole Bliss family is more involved. They go to Paris to enter a bake off competition to win back there magic cook book from the evil Aunt Lilly. So many more magical adventure's packed into this book where their off having to find extremely rare ingredients that a ...more
Jenny (knasentjej)
It was exciting, thrilling and heartwarming. I love the Bliss family.
Mary
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story just as I loved the first one. It is a young adult story, but I read it because I am always on the lookout for books I can recommend to my granddaughter who loves to read as much as I do. She has started to read the Harry Potter Series since Christmas since I have all 7 of the books. I love to see her reading them. She has been on the Honor Roll Since she started at school and I love that she is so smart!

Rosemary Bliss is a twelve year old girl who needs to get her family Cooke
Wendi Lee
I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy, Bliss, but this one was too over-the-top with the introduction of talking animals and famous ghosts. I preferred the simplicity of baking with a pinch of magic and small town wonder, as it was in Bliss.

As it is, I’m not sure I’ll continue with the third book.
Michael
I worked on this book, so my opinions are suspect. But for me, this one is even stronger than the first novel, Bliss, and just wildly funny. I am very proud of these books. They're a damn good time.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Rosemary accidentally gave up her family's centuries-old magical baking book to her wicked Aunt Lily. Now Lily is making oodles of money with her television baking show, using recipes from the book. Rosemary is determined to get the book back, and so she challenges her aunt, in front of a live tv audience, to a baking contest, with the winner to have the book.

And the contest is on, Rosemary vs. Aunt Lily, at the international baking contest in Paris.

There are all sorts of fun elements to this
Donna Brown
Purchased for my grandson because I thought we could read this together. Unfortunately, I can't get into the book which is my fault, not the books. Not my cup of tea. I don't think there is enough magic of the kind my grandson likes to entice him to read.
Faith M:)
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was very good! It made me laugh! There was one part with an inappropriate joke, but other than that, this book was funny and sweet!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The Bliss Bakery series continues to be adorable and fun. The combination of food, silliness and bad jokes is pretty hard to resist, even if I have some minor quibbles with the series. Overall, I’m really enjoying them, and they make nice quick reads, even if they do give you an overwhelming desire to eat all the dessert you can find, and, in fact, I may need to treat myself to some ice cream when I finish writing this. Blogger life is hard, yo.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions.
Hillary
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rosemary Bliss and her family have really outdone themselves in this book of magic. The determination of all the characters in the cooking competition is quite intense and made me cheer for Rose. Rose and her family were very clever to find away to get the Booke back. I really enjoyed the Bliss trilogy because they Bliss family always find their way out of tight situation. The second novel was a very well written in a competitive and "miraculous" way that intrigued me to read more. I look forwar ...more
Lrubin
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously delightful! I loved this book as much as, if not more than the last one! Every amazing character was as unique as the next, and I loved the plot. Not to mention how hilarious this book was! I literally laughed out loud multiple times. Buuuuuut, I did find a spelling mistake and a slight plot mistake (at the place Ty says he's going to stay with Leigh, but then he magically appears with Rose and Leigh is where?) but those were pretty minor.
I can't wait to read the next one!!!!!
Julian
Oct 21, 2016 added it
This book was about Rosemarry bliss, Thyme and sage competing aganst their own aunt who had stole the Cookery Booke that has all their secret cooking recipes. But to get it back they have to find their long last grampa (with a talking cat) go to paris and make the best sweet to win the Cookery Booke back.

i would recommed this book to anyone who like magic and have a very big sweet tooth.
Donna Parker
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a charming book for the young and the young at heart. I won this from the Goodreads First Reads Program and found it interesting, especially the recipe parts. This isn't your typical magic book, it's more about the magic of people and their connections, but the magic stuff is cool too.
Anna
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
These books are always so cute! Sometimes I like reading books that always have a happy ending.
Dwiki Halla
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Rosemary, why? No more feel so shattered ok

Overall better than the first one
Tiffany Spencer
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Dash Of Magic
PLOT: After the events of the first book, Aunt Lily has indeed succeeded. She has her own show (Lily's 30-minute magic), & is a celebrity sensation. She now has the world eating out of the palm of her deceptively charming little hands. Rosemary suspects foul play and true enough it's the ingredients that have people singing her praises. So she goes on Lily's show and issues a public challenge to a cook-off. Knowing Lily won't back down, she tells her that if she gives her the cook
Natalie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! It’s a great 2 book to the first one Bliss. In this one the Bliss children’s Aunt(Tia) Lily has the sacred Bliss Cookery Booke and has become super famous and has made her own recipes containing her magic ingredient. A magic powder that makes anyone who eats something with it fall in love with Lily and idolize her. Rose’s sister Leigh eats one of Lily’s treats and falls in love and idolizes Lily. Rose and her family want the book back but with Leigh under Lily’s magic it’s a ...more
Nyx Zero
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is good sequel book,
I somehow can feel related to the Rosemary who feels worried and guilty over the lost of the book. And this book clearly showing the Bliss family is always together for better and odds. (Even there's a certain quirks that i can't stand in Rosemary and Prudy personality.) The Indonesia language version translation is good to, i don't need to read it twice to understand whats going on and can show the character personality clearly.

Can wait to read the sequel of this book
Evelyn Kuzminski
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this one, and I think it might be my favorite of all the Bliss Bakery books. I love Rose and her simple recipes, and I really love Purdy. You can guess I loved the first few pages. Nothing like some mother-daughter time! I've always wanted to go to Paris, and I enjoyed some of the funny back stories and events at some of my bucket list destinations (e.g. the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, etc.).
Makenna stull
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Dash of magic ( The Bliss Bakery #2) by Kathryn littlewood. Rosemary Bliss and her family have a chance to get their family's magic cookbook back from Aunt Lily. In disguise, Rosemary and her brother Thyme sneak into a taping of Aunt Lily's cooking show and challenge her to a cookoff, winner takes the Booke. I’m really enjoying this series, and they make nice quick reads, even if they do give you an overwhelming desire to eat all the dessert you can find.
Kimberly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
What a pleasant ride! It was for sure better than the first book, according from my memory of it. I really like the aspect of a competition and the Bliss family having to find magical ingredients in different and unique areas in Paris. The only thing that annoys me is Rose and her constant excuse that it was always all her fault of what had happened in the first book, which is not really just hers...
Yuri
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book continues from the first, Bliss (The Bliss Bakery #1). The story continued as the rose tried to catch her aunt who stole the Bliss Cookery Booke. They begin to attempt the cooking (cake/ pastry / etc.) competition. Rose tried to win the competition in order to get the Bliss Cookery Booke from her aunt, Lily.
In the end, they competed with each other to prove the world who the most talented cooker was.
Maria
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it far more than the first one (though the bits with the ghosts and the gargoyles were kinda weird). The only thing I didn't like was Rose and her self-esteem issues.

Yes, I could get that the fate of the citizens of Calamity Falls depended on her and that the situation was extremely stressful, but I didn't like that the author reminded us of this every five seconds!

Nevertheless, I still liked it!
Twyla
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Natasha Fairweather
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
For the first half of this book I was hopeful; it seemed better than the first one. Then the second half of the book happened and dashed my hopes. Inconsistent, catchphrase-as-replacement-for-character, and bizarre (not in a good way). Even my seven year old kept chipping in with “Hang on, that doesn’t make sense. That’s not how the spell worked last time.”
Julia
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much better than the first - I think that the author found her footing with this installment. Whereas the first book felt heavily grounded I thought that this one was just the right blend of the realistic and the fantastic. The daughter loved it, too, so on to the next volume!
Lisa
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book it has very exciting events!

I gave this book five stars because of the good challenge with words ,but also because of the main event trying to get the book back.There are so many different ups and downs so I would highly suggest this read!
Maxine
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great sequel to the first book, and develops the story beautifully. Magic abounds and the good guys win- what more could you want- oh and don't forget the waltzing gargoyles!

A fabulous series for kids of all ages (myself included)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: series linking 5 20 May 17, 2017 10:17AM
Around the Year i...: A Dash of Magic, by Kathryn Littlewood 1 16 Jun 01, 2016 12:51PM

• Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • Amelia
  • Giselle
  • Das Turnier der tausend Talente (Die Duftapotheke #4)
  • Das falsche Spiel der Meisterin (Die Duftapotheke #3)
  • Die Duftapotheke (Duftapotheke #1)
  • Perpustakaan Ajaib Bibbi Bokken
  • Burlian
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • Jingga Dalam Elegi
  • Memory of Glass
  • Bulan
  • The Great Shelby Holmes (The Great Shelby Holmes, #1)
  • Eliana
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • Switch (Savvy, #3)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
Kathryn Littlewood is a writer, actress, comedienne, and bon vivant who lives in New York City, works often in Los Angeles, and has a sweet tooth for pain au chocolat and sweet novels for middle-grade readers. This, her second novel, is a sequel to her first, Bliss.

The Bliss Bakery (8 books)
  • Bliss (The Bliss Bakery, #1)
  • Bite-Sized Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #3)
  • Die Glücksbäckerei: Die magische Verwandlung (The Bliss Bakery, #4)
  • Die magische Rettung (Die Glücksbäckerei, #5)
  • Die Glücksbäckerei - Die magische Zeit (The Bliss Bakery, #6)
  • Die Glücksbäckerei – Das magische Fest (Die Glücksbäckerei, #7)
  • Die Glücksbäckerei: Die magische Schule (The Bliss Bakery, #8)