Start by marking “Destiny's Embrace (Destiny, #1)” as Want to Read:
Destiny's Embrace (Destiny, #1)

Destiny's Embrace

(Destiny #1)

Award-winning romance author Beverly Jenkins offers up another high-stakes historical romance that is sure to make you swoon.

With Destiny’s Embrace, Jenkins brings readers back to the American West, where Logan Yates, a self-important ranch owner, must confront his feelings for his beautiful, free spirited housekeeper, Mariah Cooper. While they bicker incessantly, their se
Published January 29th 2013 by Avon

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Don't be fooled by the bodice ripper cover & pose. While I adore the genre, and that was what originally made me gravitate towards this book, bodice rippers represent a specific type of romance that many may find unpalatable, and suggestive cover aside, this book is definitely not a bodice ripper at heart!

Mariah Cooper grew up in Philadelphia with her seamstress mother. Her life has been difficult. She's been bullied for being poor and
Lyn
53% dnf

I really wanted to love this book, but the story has a fairy tale quality to it that isn't working for me.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Price Drop! Just a heads up on this sweet, American West Historical Romance - today it's only $0.99, down from $7.99, for Kindle! www.amazon.com/Destinys-Embrace-ebook...

My Review:

Destiny’s Embrace, the first book in Beverly Jenkins’ Destiny series, is a romantic story about learning to compromise, learning to trust, and learning to love.
From the cover:

With Destiny's Embra
Ira
4.25 stars!

Well, Ms. Jenkins you’ve got a new fan!
Now, I will hunt and binge your classic books first.
Loving the narrator and the accent too, so melodious ❤❤❤
Lois
I loved the historical aspect. The history about California was interesting.
I don't care much for romance.
rameau
Mariah Cooper wants a life for herself. She wants a husband and children, and she wants a career as a seamstress where she works for herself instead for her mother. None of these things she can get in Philadelphia, so with a little help from her aunt Mariah answers an advertisement for a housekeeper and travels across the continent to find a new life in California. Her reluctant employer, Logan Yates finds himself bewitched by the spirited widow. He ends up wanting to share his life and family w ...more
Monica **can't read fast enough**
I have been meaning to read a Beverly Jenkins romance for the longest time. I just knew that I was missing out on romance goodness and I was right. DESTINY'S EMBRACE is a fast paced historical romance that features an African American woman who decides to take a chance to change her life by traveling across the country from Philadelphia to California in the 1800's.

Mariah has the talent to design and sew her own creations that has helped her mother to become a popular seamstress back in Philadel
Layeshia
Another great read by Beverly Jenkins! As of said before I'm not a very big historical romance fan but I am really liking Beverly Jenkins! Talk about meeting and falling in love fast that's exactly what happened with Mariah and Logan! MARIA is a talented seamstress living in Pennsylvania with her mother. She never met her father and her mother resents her. After years of verbal and physical abuse handed down by her mother. After one too Manny battles with her mother Mariah decides to leave. With ...more
Shawnette
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another jewel by author Beverly Jenkins...LOVED it...Mariah is a spitfire...and Logan has finally met his match...a PLEASANT break from the usual cast of characters...looking forward to reading about the rest of the Yates' men and their circle of family and friends...and can't wait to find out who's that baby's daddy...lol...KUDOS, Mrs. Jenkins on another PAGE-TURNING read!
Julia
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julia by: bookclub
This was my first foray into Jenkins' work, and it wasn't too bad. I just didn't fall in love with the writing or the characters really (except Alanza) and when you have a love story where the character's development drives the plot like it does here, and you don't enjoy the characters, it makes it a rough read.

Let's SCORE it.

The Story:
Mariah is a women pretty much working as a slave to her mom in a dress shop in PA. Something finally pushes her over the edge and she leaves for the safety of he
Melann
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est super old school ! Et pas dans le bon sens du terme !
C'est terne, sans éclat, avec une écriture très terre à terre (et je ne vous parle pas de la brièveté des scènes de sexe).
Bref...
Beverly
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my review on RomanceInColor.com

As the first book in the Destiny series, Beverly Jenkins once again demonstrates why she is the Queen of the African-American historical romance genre. Mariah Cooper taking charge of her life leaves behind unhappy childhood memories in her native Philadelphia and steps out on faith posing as a widow accepting a housekeeping position in California. Mariah is tired of her domineering bitter mother treating her like an i
Jill Sorenson
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I loved everything about it. The California setting, the historical details, the plucky heroine, the confirmed-bachelor hero, the family, the stepmother, the brothers, the mix of cultures, every character every scene everything YES YES YES YES!!!

Whew. Sorry I got carried away. It was just so good, and funny and sexy and well-written. It's sweet and traditional (virgin heroine, rakish hero) without being stodgy or old-fashioned. Logan's dialogue with other men made me LOL. There's a s
Ezinwanyi
I really enjoyed this book.
Mariah was a strong heroine who overcome an abusive home life to strike out on her own to find happiness in California. She became a housekeeper to Logan and those two butted heads at every turn. Soon, that tension turned into passion and both Mariah and Logan had to make choices regarding what they wanted for their future.

The story was well written, sprinkled with historical lessons and a mastery of language that made me feel like I was listening to a movie. I love th
Jerrika Rhone
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pass
This is my 2nd try at this book. I hated it the first time I tried but being that I LOVE Beverly Jenkins and I am itching to read more of her work I will try again and harder this time. Wish me luck.

8% Done: Her mother is the worst.

19% Done: I'm enjoying the story but Shari Peele's constant gulping is obnoxious.

REALLY REALLY REALLY OBNOXIOUS.

65% Done: This book gives me those mischievous giggles. Especially when the brothers interact. It's one of the reasons I love reading her B.Jenkins work. I
Lover of Romance
Summary
Mariah Cooper has worked in her mothers dress shop for most of her life. But she now has the opportunity to leave a place of hard labor and abuse and make a new life for herself. So at the urging of her aunt, she heads out west to California to work as a housekeeper on a family made ranch, and her boss is the handsome and conceited Logan Yates. Logan Yates, is the oldest of the three brothers, and running the family ranch is a part of who he is. He keeps the ranch running smoothing and tr
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, ebook
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Mariah Cooper is desperate to get away from her life in Philadelphia. Her mother is a strict taskmaster who never tempers her beatings with love of any kind. Mariah works nonstop as a seamstress in her mother’s dress shop with nary a moment to live a life of her own. When an epic squabble causes Mariah to seek shelter with her aunt, she knows she must change her circumstances or be miserable forever.

Logan Yates is perfectly happy with his life on the Rancho Destiny in California. Unfortunately h
Tyrese L.
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I listened to this on audible. I would give this book at 2.5 rating, including the narration.

This is the first time I've read a romance novel of this type in a VERY long time. I read books like this when I was a teenager, but they hardly ever had characters of color. I was beyond ecstatic to read a HISTORICAL romance novel with people of color.

Jenkins definitely did well with the historical aspect of the novel. I believed the setting and was more than willing to go along with it. Overall, I en
Quinn's Book Nook
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This year I am trying to tackle more books on my to-read list and thought it was time to finally read Destiny's Embrace by Beverly Jenkins, a book that's been sitting on my shelf for too long. And I'm happy to say that I loved Destiny's Embrace, and definitely want to read more by Beverly Jenkins.

Destiny's Embrace is about Mariah Cooper, who lives in Philadelphia with her spiteful mother. Desperate to start a new life, she decides to travel to California to be a housekeep to rancher Logan Yates.
steph
This was bad you guys, oh so bad. I waited like two days to type up my review because I was all "maybe I'll like it better if I wait and reflect" but if anything, the two day break has made me bring down my review from two stars to one. It was that bad.

First this book took place over like five days, maybe six. From meeting each other to sleeping with each other to marriage proposal. And I'm okay with fast timelines, my god I have read so many of those books that I don't mind anymore. And in this
Claire
So wavering between three and four stars for this one! This is my first Beverly Jenkins and my first non-Regency historical romance (I'm a n00b) and I found parts of it completely awesome.

The awesome:
- The setting/characters, especially the fantastic socioeconomic diversity represented in an entirely African-American and Latino cast. History times but with a completely different narrative than the mainstream -- black and Latina women as business owners, heads of households with servants, trave
Romance Novels in Color
Can’t get enough of Logan Yates…

Mariah Cooper has lead a life filled with sorrow under her domineering and abusive mother. When the abuse becomes too much to bear, Mariah takes a job as a housekeeper and flees Philadelphia to start over in California.

Logan Yates spends far too much time running his family ranch, Destiny. When his mother offers to hire a housekeeper to maintain his home, he agrees, although he doesn’t think he needs one. Then Mariah steps into his life and turns it upside down.

Be
Addictive
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it

Mariah Cooper has spent her whole life being abused by her mother, and all because of her eyes. Every time her mother looks at her, she is reminded of a man who left her with a baby to raise to live with his other family many miles away.
Mariah has tried to stay on her mother’s good side, but nothing she does is ever good enough. When Mariah has had all she can take, she escapes to her aunt’s house. It is there that she comes upon an advertisement in the paper for a housekeeper out West. With n
Lindsay
Not being all that interested in romance novels, I'm glad I was able to let down my guard some and enjoy this. To be sure, the plot is mind-bogglingly simplistic, real tension almost nil, the historical details not always accurate, and the characterization somewhat inconsistent and intentions suspect. But I really liked reading a historical romance by an African American author about African American characters, that the steamy scenes mostly used correct terminology over cheesy euphemisms, and, ...more
Amy Rae
Man, I was SO INTO this book. It's a historical romance featuring a cast of African-American and Latino characters! And check out that cover! (The cover is totally what got me to read the book, no lie.)

And then our romantic lead, Logan, decides to kiss our brave heroine, Mariah. She's not exactly pleased (they're not exactly friends), and his thoughts are basically "well, her lips looked so kissable, NOT MY FAULT."

I'm here for fun historical adventures of the heart, not that kind of "her sassy
Deloris
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book this is a real romance novel because the book is about the couple falling in love. Their adventure to romance funny and smart and sexy, and oh so sweet. I really liked the secondary characters in this book too they added a lot to this story. I can't wait for Logan's brothers to find love and marriage I am sure I will enjoy their books just as much.
Ana
This couple was sweet but maybe a little too sweet for me. I needed a bit more tension and a less arrogant hero and wishy-washy plot progression. The banter was great and I found out a great deal about the history of California and its racially diverse inhabitants. All in all, a pleasant read.
Nazarene Static
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
THEY'RE JUST SO DANG ADDICTIVE!
Christiana
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beverly-jenkins
This was my first read by Beverly Jenkins...I really enjoyed this story...it was refreshing and less ruthless from other stories I have read...I would love to read more about Mariah and Logan...
African-American ...: March BB: Destiny's Embrace 34 17 Apr 01, 2014 06:32PM
  • Nobody But You (Grayson Friends, #2)
  • Can't Stand the Heat (Gibbons Gold Digger Novel, #1)
  • A Little Bit Naughty (Moments in Maplesville, #2)
  • Gold Mountain
  • The Lawyer's Luck (Home to Milford College, #0.5)
  • Perfect Timing
  • A Legal Affair
  • Tempting the Artist (Jenkins Family Series, #3)
Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2018 Michigan Author Award by the Michigan Library Association, the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature, was featured in both the documentary Love Between the Covers and on CBS ...more

Destiny (3 books)
  • Destiny's Surrender (Destiny, #2)
  • Destiny's Captive (Destiny, #3)
“Queen Calafia” 0 likes