Start by marking “Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)” as Want to Read:
Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)

Play Ball!

(Pete the Cat: I Can Read!)

Pete the Cat has a mitt, a ball, and a bat. He's ready to play baseball! Pete's team, the Rocks, is playing the Rolls. But when things don't go Pete's way, will he get upset?

Cheer on Pete as he tries his best and brings his signature groovy attitude to the game of baseball.
Published February 26th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Play Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play Ball!

Start your review of Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
Whitney
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Even though this is an Easy Reader, it does not excuse the lack of imagination in this book. It has none of the charm of the original Pete the Cat books, and while the message is sound (try your best and stay positive), I would skip this for your ER collection.
Mya
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was more advance than other Pete the Cat books. However, I felt like it was rather long.
Allison
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't like Pete the Cat books, ok. I mean sure they've got a nice message ("why worry? get over it!") and my main complaint is irrational but what matters is that the kids like the books alright. this book though. pete is a terrible ball player! he strikes out, commits two errors, draws a walk, and then gets thrown out trying to score. his team wins but no thanks to him! i feel like pete actually could try harder, and he certainly needs to practice. i do like the picture of pete walking to ...more
Nate's Reviews
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Summary-
Pete the Cat plays baseball today! He absolutely sucks at it. But it's OK, he had fun and tried his best.

Review-
I don't typically like stories like this, but this acceptable. It tells you a feel good "as long as you try, you win" type thing. The art is standard Pete the Cat art, which I have always been a fan of. The story like I said wasn't so strong.
Lindsay
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pete the Cat: Play Ball! is the story of the beloved Pete the Cat's baseball game. This book is perfect for a shared reading activity with emerging readers. Pete the Cat loves baseball, but really isn't very good at it. Three times in the story Pete messes up. He strikes out, he drops a fly ball, and he gets out at home plate. Each time, however, the author tells us "he is not sad. He did his best." This repetitive line is perfect for students to read along with the teacher.

Students will love
Kim
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mini-me
Blech. None of the rhythm and charm of the original Pete books. Like most early readers based on outstanding picture books, these versions seem to be nothing more than a marketing exercise (I'm looking at you too, Olivia.)

An extra star for the good sportsmanship message, but I'd recommend the Four Groovy Buttons or the White Shoes as better reads.
midnightfaerie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Our family loves pete the cat. My 5 yr old is taking a pete the cat class at the library next week. We can't wait! Even my 2 yr olds love these stories! And the illustrations are excellent!
Irene
Title: Pete the Cat: Play Ball
Author: James Dean
Genre: Early Reader
Theme(s): Cat, Sports
Opening line/sentence: Here comes Pete the Cat.

Brief Book Summary: In this book, Pete is playing in a baseball game. He keeps striking out and does not play the game he wants, but he is proud of himself because he tried his best.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Daniel Kraus (Booklist)
Again, much of Pete s humor comes from Dean s depiction of him as a dour,
Megan Garrison
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
April
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-reads
Pete the Cat is a sensation in the children's lit world. He's the most popular cat since the Cat in the Hat. After finishing morning work, one of my kindergarten friends brought this book to me and asked if I would read it, so I did. In this installment, Pete and his baseball team are playing their first game. Pete is not the best baseball player, but he always tries his best, he cheers for his teammates, and he keeps on trying. It's a sweet book with a great message about trying your best and ...more
Briley Saunders
Pete the Cat is the star of this book and is here to play baseball! It does not have the same charm as the original Pete the Cat series does in my opinion but it is still cute and has a good message of good sportsmanship!

This is a great book to use for kids who are working their way up to chapter books! I think it is cute and the kids would like it because it has Pete the Cat in it.

I think after reading this book I could tie in a baseball math game with my class that would involve teams! We
Meldau-Cummings Fam
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-by-g
Pete has the stuff to play baseball his baseball clothing, mitt/glove, baseball and his bat. His team the Rocks is playing the Rolls. When Pete never does well even though he tries his best how will he handle it. Read the book to see...

I like that even though Pete does not do well he always tries again and never gives up.
I did not like that Pete's team or the other team did not have a coach.
Tiffany Klier
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading this book about twenty times with my youngest boy, I have come to appreciate the simplicity of the story. Like other I can read, books, this one also teaches other skills. This one is good for teaching teamwork and how to enjoy playing something, even if you strike out or drop a ball. Im sure Ill be reading this again for a few more months. ...more
Leigh Triplett
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pete-the-cat
Another fun story from James Dean, this one encourages good sportsmanship. It covers basics of baseball and how it is a fun game to play. Pete learns throughout the story that even though we make mistakes that it is okay as long as we tried our best.
Evan Teter
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read aloud or individually for early readers. Pete the Cat tries playing baseball, but he struggles to be successful. However, he still is able to cheer on his teammates and be a good sport.
Sheila
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pete is playing baseball and playing the best he can. He runs, he hits, he catches (kinda). He roots with the best.

A fun story for the beginning reader. Pete just tickles me. He is so nonchalant about things. I love him.
Scarlette
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much because, firstly, it has Pete Cat in it, the bluest colored kitty around. Secondly, because this book served as my first introduction to baseball - of which I have found, I very much enjoy. Yay for baseball, yay for Pete Cat!
Lindsey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty meh for a beginning reader. Too long. A little too hard for where we are in reading. The story is ok, and Cal seemed to like it while we were reading it, but it's not the first one he reaches for.
Kimberly Austin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pete wants to have the best game ever, but he has the worst game ever. Does this make Pete sad? Goodness no, he is happy he helped his team win the big game. Good book for preschool through 3rd grade.
The Campbell Family
Cute, Bud enjoyed.
Seth
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-ish
I love Pete the Cat. He's such a good, wholesome, character and I LOVE reading his stories and watching his videos with kids. It's any easy and fun way to connect with them!
Debbie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much easier Pete the Cat book for budding readers! Good lessons about team sports and building self esteem too.
Bennett Burgess
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i like the book's megis -
do your best
Margaret Boling
2/12/2019 ~ Nicely predictable.
Miss Sarah
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great easy reader book about pete playing a baseball game. toddler and up
Brittany
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A beginning reader for Pete the Cat lovers. This book doesn't seem to have that appeal like his picture books did, but good none-the-less.
Karen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
When you're not very good at something, but you try your best. A little heavy-handed.
Bianca Orellana
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
"Pete is not sad. He did his best."
Such a good lesson for little ones!
Tim
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-petecat
Pete is not very good at playing ball, but still has fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Cat Boogie
  • Pete the Cat and the New Guy
  • A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • I Will Take a Nap! (Elephant & Piggie, #23)
  • Pete the Kitty and the Groovy Playdate
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • Pete the Cat: Big Easter Adventure
  • Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)

Pete the Cat: I Can Read! (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • Pete the Cat: Scuba-Cat
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Pete the Cat and the Lost Tooth (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: Snow Daze