Start by marking “Big Nate Flips Out (Big Nate Novels, #5)” as Want to Read:
Big Nate Flips Out (Big Nate Novels, #5)

Big Nate Flips Out

(Big Nate Novels #5)

The fifth Big Nate novel in the New York Times bestselling series by Lincoln Peirce!

Big Nate is a New York Times bestseller! Here comes the latest illustrated novel from Lincoln Peirce, all about king of detention and cartooning genius Nate Wright!

Everyone knows N-A-T-E does not equal N-E-A-T!

And when Nate's sloppiness gets out of hand, his best friend, Francis, is in seri
Published February 5th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Big Nate Flips Out, please sign up.
Nora a lot it's stupid and it's complete junk and has imature characters

Eyad
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nate Wright an average kid that just hates school, decides that him and his friends should join the P.S. 38 chronicle (basically a yearbook) club. All he wanted was to be the photographer, but Francis (his best friend) would not stop yapping about how unorganized he is. But he becomes the photographer anyway. So, Francis worryingly let Nate use the camera that only he was allowed to get as the school editor. But when the camera goes missing, Francis blames it all on Nate and they get into a huge ...more
Joshua Hatley
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished Big Nate Flips Out by Lincoln Pierce. The character I'm choosing to write about is Nate. He is very funny and is extremely messy. His friends want him to clean up his act so he goes to his friend's uncle's house who is a magician and gets hypnotized. Then, he becomes really clean and all the teachers love him because he doesn't turn in his assignments in bad condition. But Nate doesn't like to be the teacher's pet. Nate always gets sent to detention but he doesn't anymore. Th ...more
Thomas Gajeski
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the book was awesome. Even the author of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" like it. I like to call Nate "The Detention Kid," because he gets detention almost every single day. Nate has two good friends, Francis, who he knew sense kindergarten and never gets detention, and Teddy who was new at first but they got along quite alright, they even had detention together once. There some people he hates though, especially a girl named Gina, who is a big tattle tale and a total nerd, and his Social Studies ...more
Joan
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read one of the Big Nate books just so I could understand why they are so popular. Now I understand! This was so much fun to read. I would definitely recommend these books for older elementary school and middle school kids.
Jnase1
Sep 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Why are all these popular books about disrespectful kids? No wonder disrespect is so prevalent in society today. That is how we are telling kids to act when we sell books like Big Nate and Diary of a Wimpy Kid to our kids. I understand it's "supposed" to be funny, but I don't see what's funny about drawing rude pictures of teachers and classmates. And this book in particular aggravated me because the Nate character proved that he could be a good student and the storyline made it seem like a bad ...more
Kathy Ellen Davis
For some reason I thought Big Nate was younger than middle school.
Maybe because he looks younger on the cover?
I thought this was a good story though.

His friendship is tested,
he gets hypnotized (LOVE that uncle character!)
and the rest is hilarious.

I like the illustrations inside,
and like Big Nate's comic takes on things.

I don't like that most if not ALL of the teachers are portrayed as being horrible.
(except the librarian who sticks up for Nate, even after he ruins library books...)
but that opini
Shelli
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This may be my favorite Big Nate book! Due to an explosive fight with his best and longtime friend, Francis, Nate feels compelled to make some big changes to show Francis he is not a total slob.

Kids will love the secret coded messages throughout the book and all the funny and often silly conversations back and forth between the characters. Big Nate books are a must have for any school library or classroom, a guaranteed hit.
Chris Flores
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like the book because it's funny. In this story it talks about this kid called Nate that would always get bad grades in class but then one day he gets his history score test back and it was 100%. I recommend this book to Alejandro because he likes to laugh.
Tucker
Dec 05, 2014 added it
Gig nate is a good and funny book. The book a rilly quick read but good and funny at the same time. It has meny things the actually happen in school and lot of funny moments. The book seams like it has has sum real life experiences in it.
Frank Angulo
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was great. I liked this book because it's one of those books that are funny. I want to read more of these books in the future. I just can't find them and it's sad because I want to read more of this book.
Luke Konczal
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay story, but it is a quick read.
Aman 4-7
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A classic for the big nate,this type of book really gives the bad but goofy side of the middle school life. If you wimpy kid series,consider giving this series a shot,because these can be (almost)as good.The wild life of nate switching into a neat freak,really shows the change somebody can make if they want to(although he was hypothesized so after that he didn't have a choice).
Suzanne Dix
Really looking forward to Lincoln Peirce visiting our school in April! Big Nate is fun!!
Kaleb Ahern
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious I enjoy the argument and hypnotism my favorite part was when Nate got Gina's horrific photo.
Josiah
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
When you've written a daily newspaper comic strip for twenty-two years—the length of time Lincoln Peirce had done Big Nate when this book was released in 2013—you get used to tweaking your paradigm on a regular basis to find new plot possibilities. How else could a cartoonist churn out hundreds of mini stories every year for decades? Fresh characters are added, well-known traits of main characters altered and sometimes even reversed, a ploy Lincoln Peirce uses to amusing effect in Big Nate Flip ...more
Heidi
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
My students love these books so much I can't keep them on the shelf. However, I can't say that I'm a big fan of them. I think one of the reasons that I don't like them as much as the kids is that I'm not a kid anymore, I don't see things the way they do. But for what it's worth here is my two cents.

Strengths: Comics, comics, and more comics, kids can't get enough of them and some of them are amusing. When the words are broken up by the comics/illustrations it makes the book seem shorter and relu
Natalya Hotovec
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Big Nate Flips Out is about Nate and his two best friends, Teddy and Francis. Nate wants Francis to become co editor for the yearbook because Nate's enemy, Gina, would just make the year book full of pictures of herself. Francis becomes co editor of the year book and Nate wants Francis to get him a camera from the staff room because he is allowed to use since he is co editor. Nate promises he will not lose the camera but it gets taken from his locker. Francis and Nate get in a big fight. Nate wa ...more
BlackhamBoys
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read and Rated by Cooper (3rd Grade) ... he had been introduced to Big Nate at school as asked for this one at the school book fair after Parent/Teacher conference. I bought it for him and he read it in just a few days.

I haven't read it myself (skimmed it, I have trouble "reading" these types, like Wimpy Kid, Captain Underpants, I like a STORY) ... some block comics, some paragraphs/sentences. We noticed Big Nate in our Sunday comics (I hadn't really noticed it before.)

At the very end there was
Trent
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Big Nate Flips Out is a great book about a boy named Nate who is super messy. In the story he has a best friend named Francis. Francis is unlike Nate, because he's neat and smart but Nate is messy and dumb. Nate and Francis go to middle school together. They both are very close friends until Francis decides to get a camera for Nate to use for yearbook class. Then Nate lost the camera that Francis gave him. Will Nate and Francis still be best friends after Nate lost the camera?

I would recommend t
Pbean
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln Peirce has brought his “Big Nate” comic strip to book form in this 5th book in the Big Nate series. Nate Wright is the sloppiest sixth grader around. He can’t even open his locker without being buried in an avalanche of “stuff”. While working on the school yearbook, Nate loses the school camera. When Francis takes the blame for the lost camera and receives his first detention, Nate decides to make it up to his friend by becoming neat and responsible. Will all this neatness cause Nate to ...more
J
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really, just the drawings would have been enough. Then you added a secret code with nearly hidden messages to figure out. And you had Nate hypnotized so that he would be super neat rather than his super messy usual self, and that was such a fun turnaround for his character. Add the drama of Nate fighting with his best friend and a high stakes trivia contest, not to mention the usual bullies and annoyances of 6th grade, and you've got a winner. No wonder the boys are lined up to read these books. ...more
Ms. Yingling
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
By book #5 in a series, it's really hard for me to give a full review. In short, Nate has a fight with his friend Francis, mainly because Nate is so messy that the school camera, checked out by Francis but in Nate's possession, goes missing. Nate gets hypnotized into being neat, which is good in some respects but just not Nate. While I had trouble believing the drama surrounding the school yearbook (our middle school doesn't even have students work on ours), I always love to see what Nate is up ...more
Juliet
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nathan Ibanez
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Big Nate Flips Out is about a middle school student named Nate gets his best friend's secret away. If you read this series, you know Nate is never NEAT! He later uses Teddy's uncle to help him. If you like to laugh, this is the perfect book for you to enjoy. Want more information, read Big Nate Flips Out!!!
Dillon
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-nate
I thought this book was cool and funny this book is about two best friends that are named Francis and Nate.Nate is a very messy and unorganized student but Francis is a really smart student and he has good grades and he is a very organized student.My thoughts for this book is it's a funny and good book to read I strongly recommend this to people that like funny and curios.
Matthew Zelayandia
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a kid who gets involved in all kinds of trouble. I like this book because it has a lot of humor and there is a humungous problem. I recommend this book to a person who is a kind of a person who is interested in problems that are hard to solve.
Mariacervantes
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think that this book was fun in some parts. I recommend this book to people that like comic books. it sis kind of the same as The Dairy Of The Wimpy Kid. You should read this book if you read The Dairy Of The Wimpy Kid.
Jacob Razer
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much.I like reading the big nate books.I never stop reading them.I read each one once.I liked it when nate had to take his picture in his dirty shirt the other kids in his group were girls but the man taking the picture gave him a new shirt.I finished it at school.
Christopher
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
wow.This book was really awesome and funny.It is about a kid named nate that tries to be the yearbook consuler but he looses the camera,because his locker was too messy he turns into a nice and tidy kid and he starts etting good grades.His father gives him a suprise at the end.
Ashley
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Definitely not the funniest Big Nate book. The jokes were a little forced and unoriginal. However, like the previous Big Nate books, the story was cute, relatable, and very age appropriate.
Is this a good book? 8 16 Dec 31, 2018 10:54AM
Talk About It! 2 6 Dec 30, 2018 06:07PM
Talk About Juveni...: Big Nate Flips Out 1 2 Jun 27, 2013 12:02PM

• Hades and the Helm of Darkness (Heroes in Training, #3)
  • When Fairies Go Bad (Dragonbreath, #7)
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • CatStronauts: Race to Mars
  • Lego Ninjago: Official Guide
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (Captain Underpants, #10)
  • Killer Koalas from Outer Space and Lots of Other Very Bad Stuff that Will Make Your Brain Explode!
  • Third Grade Angels
  • Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
  • Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)
  • Fluffy Strikes Back
  • Art2-D2's Guide to Folding and Doodling (An Origami Yoda Activity Book)
  • Extreme Babymouse (Babymouse, #17)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Puppy's Big Day
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
Lincoln Peirce is a cartoon artist from Portland, Maine. He lives with his wife and two children, and occasionally gives lectures to students about cartoon creating. Peirce writes the comic strip "Big Nate". Peirce's comic strip, Big Nate, is featured as an island on the famous children's website, Poptropica. Big Nate appears as the first cartoon on The Maine Sunday Telegram in the comics section. ...more

Big Nate Novels (8 books)
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • Big Nate Strikes Again (Big Nate Novels, #2)
  • Big Nate on a Roll (Big Nate Novels, #3)
  • Big Nate Goes for Broke (Big Nate Novels, #4)
  • Big Nate: In the Zone (Big Nate Novels, #6)
  • Big Nate Lives It Up (Big Nate Novels, #7)
  • Big Nate Blasts Off (Big Nate Novels, #8)