Start by marking “The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)

The Menagerie

(Menagerie #1)

Logan Wilde is accidentally drawn into the mysterious, dangerous world of the Menagerie when he discovers a griffin hiding under his bed . . . and it leads him straight to the weirdest girl in seventh grade, Zoe Kahn.

Zoe is panicking. Her family has been guarding the Menagerie for centuries. If they don't get the cubs back fast, the whole place will be shut down. To save t
Published March 12th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Menagerie, please sign up.
Bella As far as I'm concered, it is not. Although it may have the same mechanics, such as passing each safe place from one generation to another, it doesn't…moreAs far as I'm concered, it is not. Although it may have the same mechanics, such as passing each safe place from one generation to another, it doesn't have most of the same characters. For example, Fablehaven has Alcetuars, Apparations, Astrids, Blixes, Brownies, Chimera, and many other creatures that would make the list a whole lot longer. Whereas the Menagerie has animals such as, Unicorns, Kelpies, Werewolves, Mammoths, Abominable Snowmen, Kitsunes, Giant gooses, and a lot more. So even though it might have the same concept, the animals in general are completely different.(less)
Sarah No. It is not. Though that would be really cool!

Start your review of The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)
Josie Funk
What a captivating book! I must admit, when I plucked The Menagerie off the library shelves, I was not expecting to enjoy it quite this much. It's rare, nowdays, to find a book that makes me lose track of time, but this one did it three consecutive nights in a row.

This book is split between protagonists Logan and Zoe. Logan Wilde is the new kid in Xanadu, Wyoming, from the big city Chicago, and it's a refreshing change that Logan, unlike most new kids, actually likes the small town better. He a
April
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are currently in the market for a fun-filled middle grade read filled with fantastical creatures, The Menagerie by Tui T. Sutherland and Kari Sutherland might just be your ticket. I found this book by the sisters Sutherland engaging and magical. That’s not to mention the humor, appropriate for a 12 year old, yet also the jokes inside made this adult laugh along too. Griffins, unicorns, golden geese and more make appearances in The Menagerie, a book that’s mostly about friendships – old an ...more
Jasmine
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
There comes a time in someones life when you realize you're too old to appreciate the mindless fun you can have with children's fiction. Yeah... I think I've reached that point...
human
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
What did you think?
Meh.
wow i think that a lot

I think this is a sign that I'm getting too old for middle grade/juvenile fantasy. Which is rather unfortunate.
Loredana
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
full review to come
Katy
This book was just so cute. It was exactly the kind of book I would have loved when I was younger and I absolutely loved it as an adult. What better compliment for a middle-grade book is there?

Logan recently moved to Xanadu, Wyoming with his father, who is a wildlife conservationist. Logan's father chose Xanadu because he is determined to find Logan's mother who up and disappeared years ago but recently sent a postcard from Wyoming. Logan is having a hard time making friends at school but all o
Jennisen
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastical Nature Preserve of Mythical Creatures in WYOMING?!? Yes, please! This book is a very fun story of Logan, who moved into Xanadu, Wyoming from Chicago. One of the few African-American children in his "one horse" town, Logan is amazed to find a griffin in his bedroom. This, of course, launches him into an amazing adventure with new friends and a new understanding of himself and his mother!
Alan
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ATOS Book Level: 4.6
Interest Level: Middle Grades (MG 4-8)
AR Points: 8.0
Lexile: 710L
Word Count: 56082

A great book especially for anyone who has become interested in magical creatures elsewhere, for example Percy Jackson.
Logan Wilde's mom has "ditched them via postcard". His father has moved them away out of Chicago and to the wilds of Xanadu, Wyoming, and Logan for the most part is happy with the move, except for missing "the deep-dish pizza smell that hung around his block".
He comes home from
Connor
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
[3.5 Stars]

I think this book accomplished exactly what it was supposed to do. It is merely a fun, exciting adventure of some kids trying to track down six escaped griffin cubs. It's not really anything more than that which is totally okay. The creatures were all up to par with how Tui Sutherland did her dragons in Wings of Fire, and I enjoyed seeing her take on them. The griffin cubs were actually hilarious, and the unicorns were fantastic. I like that they made the kraken more accurate to its m
Shāfiya Mū
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
🦄 Good story filled with magical creatures.
🦄 Positive friendships & themes of working together.
🦄 Cute & cheesy humour that'll appeal to all ages.
🦄 Subtle but decent examination on complicated family dynamics (i.e. single parents & kids dealing with parents who leave them)
🦄 Diverse characters with an MC who's black.
🦄 Good, consistent pacing.
🦄 Fun references to modern pop culture & literature.
🦄 Very charming, cute, & overall rather feel-good.
🦄 4.25 feathers outta 5!
Ethan Buchman
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing book, it was about a boy named Logan who lives an average life until he meets a little baby griffin. From that point on, his life was changed he now hung out with friends who’s parents are guardians of a town or city full of mythical creatures. But they lost all remaining griffins and Logan needs to find them. Will he do it? READ TO FIND OUT.
Wendy
Read this as a Battle of the Books choice at work. For me, it took a little while to get going. I was trying to figure out the relationships between Blue, Zoe and Logan. Once the adventure began and they introduced the animals in the Menagerie, the story moved along quickly. My favorite parts of the book were when Logan first meets the magical animals - unicorns, a Phoenix, and the goose that lays golden eggs to name a few.
Joey
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Recommended to me by my ten year old, I avoided reading it for a couple of months and now cannot imagine why. The plot is in the same vein as lots of other kid books, but it still felt fresh and new, and the writing was really enjoyable to me. I loved and identified with all the major characters, at least in some way, and it never slowed its pace. Will be reading the second book in this series very soon.
Scott
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a way to start a series. whether you are young or old you will enjoy this fantastic read . I literally could not put it down . Thank you for the fun fast moving adventure. I can not wait to start the next one
Kimmy’s books journey
Everything I like: good friendship, adventure, mystery, fantastic beasts and of course a bit of humor.
Great beginning for this trilogy ❤️
Zak
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Menagerie great book filled with humor, some action and is all around a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and the authors did a great job executing it to make mythical animals seems so real even when being read about. There is a lot of helpful description in the book to paint a picture for readers and make them feel like they’re in the menagerie themselves. It is a book like no other and really captures the readers interest.
Shirley
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

A pretty good middle-grade fantasy. Reminded me a little of Fablehaven in being a zoo for fantastical animals. Fun creatures. Ended on a cliff-hanger. Definitely more to handle in the next book.
Caleb
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like how they worked together to find all the griffin cubs and how Tui decided to do mythical creatures because I actually really like mythical creatures.
Mariah Oleszkowicz
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Fun story, easy read. Pretty predictable but I think my animal lover will love this one when she's ready. It's a mid elementary topic level. I will read the rest of series because it's a fun read. I enjoy the prissiness of the animals.
Becky B
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Warning: Don't even think of cracking that cover unless a) you like learning lessons in patience or b) you like teaching children about cliffhangers. Yes, this book ends in a terrible cliffhanger. The worst kind too, because they had me convinced that they were just about to reveal a major answer to the mysteries, and all I got was a minor plot answer and those three dreaded words, "to be continued." I am convinced the Sutherlands are those kinds of authors that either adore having the next book ...more
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Logan has recently moved to Xanadu. He's very unhappy about this move. His mother has left them and in an attempt to find out what happened, his father has quit his high profile job and moved them to this teeny tiny city in Wyoming. His new school has only 24 students in his grade. This means it's nearly impossible to make new friends, until he comes home one day and finds a griffin in his bed that talks to him. Oh my! Enter Zoe, the zookeeper, and Blue (the most popular boy in their lit
Books
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
Being an animal lover myself, I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Menagerie. Logan Wilde, the main character, wants a dog, a horse and for his mother to return. What he gets instead is a griffin cub, an almost fatal ride on a Kelpie, and an adventure involving mythical animals and new friends who are not quite what they appear to be at school.

Although I read The Menagerie in one go, I really didn't want the book to end. From the grudge-bearing unicorns to the self-pitying goose - the one that lays
ShingetsuMoon
This is a fantastic middle grade book filled with mythical creatures that kids, teens and adults will love.

Logan is a young African-American boy who has recently moved from Chicago to Wyoming with his dad after his mother left with little more then a postcard to say goodbye. His otherwise calm life is interrupted when he wakes up one morning to find large bird feathers scattered across his bedroom floor. This starts a chain of similarly strange findings until he comes home to find a griffin cub
Kate
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Twelve-year-old Logan has just moved to Xanadu, Colorado with his father, after their mother's disappearance. It's not long before he realizes that classmates Zoe and Blue are not exactly ordinary middle-schoolers. Zoe's family runs a menagerie of mythical creatures, and six griffin cubs have been set loose upon the town. If she doesn't find them soon, their entire animal sanctuary could be in trouble... and so could Logan, though he doesn't know it yet.

There was a lot of potential in the story
Liviania
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE MENAGERIE was already on my TBR when it appeared in the discussion spurred by Varian Johnson's post "Where are all the black boys?" Logan Wilde is the new boy in town and hasn't quite found where he fits in yet. Then he discovers a griffin in his room, which leads him to the Menagerie, run by his classmate Zoe Kahn and her family, with help from his other classmate Blue.

I think THE MENAGERIE will appeal to young cryptzoology fans, but I found it a little disappointing. (I'm still happy I mov
Andrea
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book it was original with lots of imagination to spare. The book had lots of twist and turns but I wished it would have been longer and know where his mother went. I also want to know who killed the goose that put the golden eggs.I also want to know who was the shadow following the kids. The book left me with a lot of questions and wish that the author would make another book like a part two. It was sad at the beginning and thought the book wasn't for me but then I reed more ...more
Luke Dossett
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book The Managerie is by my favorite author in one of my new favorite series. The characters I can picture in my mind to be real, and the mythical creatures are all described so easily pictured as well. The plot has many turns and unexpected outcomes, and the hole book makes you want to keep reading.
Lucas is the main character in this magical fiction book. Lucas was just an ordinary kid when one day, there is a griffin under his bed. This griffin, (half lion half eagle) is part of a top s
Sara
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Menagerie by Tui T. Sutherland and Kari Sutherland follows Logan as he discovers a young griffin hiding under his bed. This griffin leads him to The Menagerie a wonderful place where magical creatures are kept which is run by his new friend Zoe's family. The two along with another friend Blue must find all the missing griffins to save the Menagerie.

I loved this book. It's cute and sweet and funny and the world that the Sutherlands have developed is truly magical. The characters from the indi
Carroll
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this copy for free through Goodreads. Logan Wilde is new in the small town of Xanadu, Wyoming where he moved with his dad and has really made no friends. One morning he awakes to find his pets acting unusually and an odd feather in his room. This is the beginning of an adventure where Logan not only makes new friends but disovers a wonderful place which holds a Menagerie of magical creatures. 6 baby griffins have escaped leading to possible disaster and the end of the Menagerie as wel ...more
Kat Heckenbach
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Logan discovers a baby griffin in his bedroom--and even cooler, he can talk with it! He finds out the griffin has escaped from the Menagerie, a refuge for mythical creatures run by the family of a girl in his class named Zoe. The adventure begins as she and another boy from school, the cool and cool-named Blue, set out to search for the other missing griffin cubs.

The writing is good, the characters likable, the plot steady, and the Menagerie a pretty cool place. I can't help but mentally compare

• Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • The Flame of Olympus  (Pegasus, #1)
  • Immortal Guardians (Spirit Animals: Fall of the Beasts, #1)
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • Starfire (The Guardian Herd, #1)
  • Storybound (Storybound #1)
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves #1)
  • Winterling (Winterling, #1)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • The Taken (Foxcraft, #1)
  • The Empty City (Survivors, #1)
  • The Familiars
  • Magic Charly #1
  • Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)
  • Cavern of Secrets (Wing & Claw #2)
  • The Wearle (Erth Dragons, #1)
  • The Fog Diver (The Fog Diver, #1)
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Tui? What kind of name is that? Is it short for something?

Nope. Among the many great things to come out of New Zealand (the Lord of the Rings movies, cats that paint, my mom) is a bird called the tui—not as well known as the kiwi, but a heck of a lot noisier!

I was born July 31 (same birthday as Harry Potter!) in Caracas, Venezuela, and lived in Asuncion, Paraguay

Menagerie (3 books)
  • Dragon on Trial (Menagerie, #2)
  • Krakens and Lies (Menagerie #3)