Start by marking “Cat Talk” as Want to Read:
Cat Talk

Cat Talk

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
From cuddler to troublemaker, kitten to tom, cats have a lot to say. Authors Patricia MacLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest and illustrator Barry Moser give voice to and celebrate our most opinionated furry friends in this spirited collection of poems filled with rich language, perfect for reading aloud. Cat Talk is sure to make readers wonder what their own four-legged ...more
Published March 19th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Talk

Cheryl
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Paintings of cats - by Barry Moser. Poems - by the MacLachans. What's not to love? Well, for starters, the fact that the lovely long-haired cat isn't necessarily a she, and isn't necessarily vain. I'd rather we'd get introduced to real cats rather than stereotypical icons of our projected perceptions.

Well, to be fair, sometimes we do: mama Bett has good names for her kittens as she wishes humans would be more observant to their true natures and not just their coloring.

You might like it more tha
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Illustrations: 3 stars

Picture book of poetry about cats. Specific cats are given names and personalities (like Tough Tom). Cat lovers will probably enjoy this more than I do.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I assumed that the authors of this book based their poems on cats they knew and owned, but, according to the dust jacket flap, they both own dogs. So where did they find these interesting felines? My absolute favorite poem is "Bett," in which a mama cat tells us what she would name her kittens as opposed to what humans would name them. It reminded me of my own mama cats. "Romeo" made me think of the cats I've had in the past who practically velcro themselves to me--skirt kitties, my sister and I ...more
Megan
Jun 26, 2015 added it
Shelves: twin-texts
Twin Text

Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes
By Eric Litwin
Published 2010

Rationale for Twin Texts Selection

These books share the genre picture books for children about cats. The first book is poems about different cats and their characteristics. It describes their essence and way of life. The other book is a fictional story about a cat. The book is about keeping a bright outlook on life, and teaching students the importance of staying positive. It is a fun and easy read to go along with the h
Linda
I recently found this book at my library. Co-authored by Patricia MacLachlan and her daughter, Emily MacLachlan Charest, and illustrated by Barry Moser, you'll find delightful pages, each with a lovely image of a particular cat and poetic text that describes its special personality. For those who love cats, this would make a wonderful gift, and for those who teach, I can imagine having students use this example to spark their own poems about a particular favorite pet, not necessarily a cat.
As
Reshamad
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Cuddle-some to Troublesome!

From the cutest to the most troublesome kittens, cats and toms, “Cat Talk” features furry friendly poems for children to read. Authors MacLachlan captures the many “cat” personalities in 13 different poems. Written with a gentle flow or words, these poems are told in first person and delightfully easy to read.

Meet “Tough Tom” who walks into a window with his nose scratched and ear torn up from a street fight with cats. He is cold and hungry and scared but he takes a ch
Nick
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a gorgeous picture book. The only thing which kept me from giving it a fifth star is that I am not sure of the intended audience. Some of the poetry seems aimed at the adults reading it, rather than to the kids for whom it seems to be formatted.
For kids familiar with cats, or for parents of kids in a family with cats, this will be a treasure for the illustrations.
Think of this as a modern reply to Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats and you won't be far off. Each pair of pages describes
Tomiko
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not sure why that particular illustration was chosen for the cover--it is not the strongest out of the book, so don't let it deter you. Overall, I think the poems and illustrations will appeal to cat lovers of all ages. They poems and illustratoins are not sappy or insipid, nor are they catty (ok, maybe I mean snarky) and repulsive. Rather, cats are depicted as they truly are: individualistic furry souls with a lot of personality.
Stacey Kahler
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bes-june
Comparing this book to the one the author did on dogs really hurt this book. The dog poetry book was something special and a bit magical, but the cat one just can't compare to it. It also doesn't help that I'm not a cat person!
Marg Corjay
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Expressive illustrations of many different varieties of cats bring the poems to life in this fun book.
'Chele
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the poetry and illustrations in this book!
Eva Yamashita
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ages range from four to eight
Cat Talk is a children’s poetry book with beautiful illustrations. There are 13 poems in this book, and all poems are told by 13 different cats’ viewpoints. All of the cats in the book are very unique, and they find their meaning in humans’ lives.
In this book, readers can also find typical cats’ habits and characters. For example, cats prefer to sleep somewhere warm and comfortable such as in a mitten box, in bedclothes, on fluffy clothing, and on a copy machine. Furthermore, this book describe
David
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, I asked what we are going to read next, and my 8 year old grandson shoves this book at me after he had informed me that he had already read it, wanted it for the next read-aloud, and thought I would like it. So with a cat trying to get on top of the book, and the other two making themselves scarce, I did my best to figure how each of these should be read.

Each of the poems features a particular cat, and each cat is a unique character. So, kneading our black and white "Smacky" to keep him occ
Margaret Chind
Loving the Sarah, Plain and Tall stories from my childhood I was curious what I would find in a picture book from Patricia MacLachlan and I'm enchanted. This book reminds me partially of the cat portion in the Our Animal Friends At Maple Hill Farm book. Each page is an image of a cat and poetic text in a description. It is absolutely lovely and full of personality. Yes I do think this ail make a fun children's picture book, but even more I think this will be a fabulous gift idea for anyone that ...more
Heidi-Marie
I liked this better than I thought, since I am not a cat person. The poems were simple yet conveyed sentiments and personalities very well. I was able to imagine these cats exactly, even though I've never been around cats for that long. My favorite part was probably the illustrations, though. So adorable and perfectly captured the cats and what the poems were saying. Should reach a god audience. I may have to consider this for a preschool storytime choice, since I must remember that even though ...more
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of cat poetry with glorious paintings. It's a lovely companion to Once I Ate a Pie and I Didn't Do It. These poems don't have quite the same humor, though cat owners and lovers will certainly connect with the various cats and kittens described in the book.
Lynn
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
These poems are clearly by a felineophile! So true for those of us who live with cats. The opening poem about Tough Tom was so on target for me. We had a battered old tom who slowly worked his way into our home and hearts just like this poem. I loved the next one too of the cat who slides under the blankets with the sleeping kids. Lovely illustrations and poems by someone who knows and loves cats.
Melissa Mcavoy
A felinophile's dream: 13 beautiful watercolor portraits of cats are accompanied by a poem that reveals their personalities. I am no cat fan, and had initially given this three stars, but up-ed my rating knowing that cat fanciers will be over the moon. The poems effectively convey the character of each cat and the regard it is held in, but it is clear that the artistry of the poems is not the focus.
Dolly
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful collection of poetry about cats that humorously depicts the myriad personalities of cats. The poems are short and witty and the illustrations are marvelous. It totally reminded me of the classic book, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. We really enjoyed reading this book together and we've read it a couple of times.
Deirdre
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A perfectly lovely book, with Barry Moser's gorgeous watercolor illustrations, and Patricia MacLachlanpoems, which are by turns funny and touching -- sometimes both at once.

Most suitable for school aged children, but great for people of any age who like cats, or beautiful illustrations.
Margie
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Patrica MachLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest have cleverly captured the essence of thirteen distinctive cat personalities in their free verse poems. With his realistic, expressive paintings Barry Moser enhances and extends their words.

My full review: http://bit.ly/17ottY6

I support independent bookstores. To find one located near you follow this link. http://www.indiebound.org/
Christine
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually liked Once I Ate a Pie better, but this one had merit.
It received a favorable response from the students.
Peacegal
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
The illustrations were cute, but I wan't a big fan of the poems.

Did we really need a poem about a cat with kittens?
Amber the Human
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I love cats more, I found the dog version of this book to be cuter. I think MacLachlan likes dogs more (they show up in pretty much every book) (except this one) (I think). But the illustrations are lovely and the sentiment is sweet.
Selena
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Reading this book made me smile. Anyone who has cats for pets will enjoy it. It perfectly captures the many personalities of felines (and maybe a few humans). Direct your juvenile cat lovers to this for an introduction to poetry.
Carol
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not typically a fan of poetry or verse. However, the subject matter of this adorable picture book drew me in. Each poem does a great job of showcasing the personality of each feline. Moser's illustrations are fabulous and made my son want to kiss each cat we encountered.
Jessica Freeman
I LOVED this book! This story incorporates clever poems about the many different personalities cats tend to have. The illustrations are beautiful, creating different breeds and what seems to be the most common personality matching the breed.

Ill: Watercolor
Beth
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really lovely picture book to read on National Cat Day! I love Barry Moser's artwork and Patricia MacLachlan's writing, and both the pictures and poems here were whimsical and sweet, evoking many different felines and their personalities.
NYC Reads 365
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Tough Tom is a fighter; Romeo is a lover; and Princess Sheba Darling is a glamour puss. Each of these thirteen free-verse poems has as its title the name of the cat who narrates it. Detailed watercolor drawings capture the felines' distinct personalities."
Becky B
Through free verse poetry, readers are introduced to a household of cats with diverse personalities.

Those who have lived with cats should recognize well-known felines in the ones in this book. Moser's illustrations are warm and fluffy. A good pick for cat lovers and those doing poetry units.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
  • Homer
  • On the Wing
  • An Ambush of Tigers: A Wild Gathering of Collective Nouns
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more
More about Patricia MacLachlan...