Start by marking “Outworlder (Star Wanderers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Outworlder (Star Wanderers, #1)

Outworlder

(Star Wanderers #1)

He wanders the stars in search of a home. Instead, he got a girl without one.

When Jeremiah arrived at Megiddo Station, all he wanted was to make some trades and resupply his starship. He never thought he'd come away with a wife.

Before he knows it, he's back on his ship, alone with his accidental bride. Since neither of them speak the same language, he has no way to tell he
Published July 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Outworlder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outworlder

Suralxiong
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all science fiction fans
Shelves: current-001
Star Wanderers Part 1: Outworlder by Joe Vasicek

One thing about building worlds in science fiction is that there is really no wrong way to build. It's mostly a matter of building a believable system with some consistency that adheres to its own rules.

I have read Sholpan -by Joe Vasicek- which had an interesting take on prisoners being pressed into slavery and sexual submission- I was impressed by it and decided to give Outworlder a try. Its a short read and well worth the try.

The Outworlder sto
Tammie
This is the first book in a series a novelettes. There are 8 total, but the first 4 are the main story while books 5-8 are alternate points of view that tie into the main story. I chose to review books 1-4 together since they are rather serialized. I have not read books 5-8 yet, but will probably get to those later.

I found this series quite enjoyable. The main character Jeremiah was very likeable and in my opinion, in some ways kind of a fresh perspective on a male character. The way his charact
Al "Tank"
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novelette designed to hook you into the series. I got this story for free, but the next one (also a short) is 99-cents, and the ones after that are $2.99. An interesting marketing scheme that I see often.

That being said, the writing is good and the story engaging.
Alexa
I have so. many. questions.

more like 3.5 stars
Troy  Dye
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Star Wanderers: outfielder by Joe Vasicek

It's hard to review a "book" that isn't even a good start on a book. Boy from a race that sends it's young men into space, gets a "surprise you're married" type wife that doesn't speak his language. Will he accept her? - Are you kidding? and Dee are left waiting for the real story to . begin. It's a tease that doesn't entice.
Keith Hughes
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this story, although I thought it odd that that Jeremiah never used his resource of the ship's computer to try to learn the girl's language. I would have liked a little more, the end seemed to come rather quickly.
Netanella
I added this book to a personal challenge as it came highly recommended by an editor of science fiction stories. Good recommendation, I might add! Vasicek does a very nice job in creating an instantly relatable world of space exploration and trade through the eyes of Jeremiah, a lone space trader who travels from station to station in his single person ship. But things are amiss at Megiddo Station, and Jeremiah somehow ends up with a female companion, one who doesn't even speak his language. Jer ...more
Andria Potter
I'm pretty sure I've left a review of this book before, because I know that I've read it. Though I read it on Wattpad, maybe that's why there's no review here. Regardless, I did a re-read, and can still say with absolute certainty that this is definitely well worth reading. The characters are on point, the plot is fast paced, and the story is engaging.

I really need to read more of the series; I feel like I'm really terrible at finishing series right now. Regardless, 5/5 stars for a job well don
Evette Hill
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to stop reading!

I was quickly drawn into Jeremiah's world and enjoyed learning about it. The innocence and gentleness of both Noemi and Jeremiah was very endearing. I wasn't expecting to like it so much. This was my second time reading the story and I loved it again. I am looking forward to reading the sequels.
Kathy Gray
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading and reviewing books

Good read. I like that it was short enough m to finish quickly. Also, it got me thinking about the beauty and loneliness space has. Where can humanity go...??
Aviar Savijon
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outworlder

This is the beginning tale of the Star Wanderers series a nice novelette a space sci fi romance and journey from all Jeremiah knows. A outstanding work of fiction. I Loved It!!
W Keith
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok

The book was OK just light on action from my view. Good character development. Will read the next book see how it goes.
Brian
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a short book, and I will be following up with the further books of the series.
The characters were well written.
megan jade
Outfielder star wanders

I think very good to ready this story about outsider star. But I think this story is about to shots to ready.
Jim B.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young man leaves home to become a trader among the stars and gets more than he bargained for.
Stephen
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In space

A good solid short story, that is well thought out and written. Worth reading. Good for most anyone who liked sci-fi of a love story.
Rianonne
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5 stars
Fabrizio Poli
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this short sci-fi novel. It was well written, nice storyline and characters. A great opening for the series.
Keith
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the far future, humanity has expanded across the stars. Jeremiah is a young man who left home to find where he belongs. Finding himself on a remote space station, he tries to offload a cargo of coffee and instead finds himself sharing his cramped little freighter with a girl who does not speak his language. The majority of this novelette is about two people struggling to communicate in a tight space, building common ground, and I will reveal no more.

On the good side, Mr. Vasicek presents us w
Douglas Cook
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Really a novella. Sci Fi in its classic form with a naked passenger thrown in for interest.

First paragraphs "Part I: Outworlder   Chapter 1   Jeremiah knew something was wrong the moment he stepped out of the Ariadne’s airlock and onto Megiddo Station. A variety of people milled about the tiny spaceport concourse, mostly in-system haulers and traders, as well as a few beggars and questionable women in the shadier passageways. The air smelled slightly of smoke, but that wasn’t too unusual; the se
Peter Stone
Star Wanderers: Outworlder Part I, is a short 79 pages, little more than a book's introduction. All the same, it does come to a satisfying conclusion. I normally refuse to read books in sections, having to pay around a dollar for each, but I got suckered in by the tag line 'HE WANDERS THE STARS IN SEARCH OF A HOME. INSTEAD, HE GOT A GIRL WITHOUT ONE.'

Apart from what I felt to be a completely unbelievable opening scene (surely there would have been riots and stampedes to steal his ship to escape
Patty Jansen
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-published
Goodreads rankings nothwithstanding, this falls under the "this was OK" banner for me. This novella has an awesome tagline and could be so much more than it is with a bit more work. As is, it is "OK", a complete story with some emotional content, but most of the setting is insufficiently worked-out and not greatly satisfying.

For one thing, we never learn a number of important things about the main characters: why did the main character have to leave (because we're told that he "had to", but not
Cherry Bob*omb
Jan 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So I downloaded a bunch of 'First in the Series Free' in iBooks, and I can't say I was particularly a fan of this one. For a start, it's not really the first book in a series, but the first part of a four part book, and as such you're basically introduced to the characters and then the story ends. There's very little tension, no character development and pretty much nothing happens. It's more of a romance than sci-fi, except that the two characters neither speak the same language or make an effo ...more
Shelley
This is the first part of a 5 part novella. I think you have to read all five books to enjoy it. However it just didn't entice me to read the others. Firstly this only took 30 - 40 minutes to read (if that).

You get very little detail about the character, virtually none on her. He is from a race that sends their sons into space, so as to not have too much interbreeding on their planet, and he can never go home. He gets almost tricked into marrying someone who he can't communicate with and they r
Olethros
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
-Sencillo y agradable.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. Jeremiah atraca su nave Ariadne en Meggido Station para comerciar y llevar a cabo sus negocios pero la situación allí está bastante mal y su interlocutor, Master Korha, consigue que se lleve a una de sus hijas para tratar de salvarla del destino terrible que parece cernirse sobre los habitantes de la estación. La inmediata singladura será incómoda para Jeremiah porque no está habituado a llevar nadie a bordo y menos a una mujer. Primer vo
Nicholas
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What?

This book was obviously only intended to set up the series, and lacked any meaningful content of its own. Set as a fumbling love story between two people forced on each other through indiscernible circumstances, the whole book just focuses on tired will they/won't they routines while making some vague allusions to the main character's not-so-mysterious past. It has the one redeeming quality of being edited well enough to be easy enough to plow through quickly, because I wouldn't want to hav
Mark Grisham
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delicious story with intriguing interaction between Jeremiah and Noemi. The tension builds and builds and pulled me in. As the story progresses further in other stories I'd personally enjoy some science fiction action, but this story is very enjoyable just as it is. Since it's being offered free on iBooks at the moment, I'd highly recommend getting it. It is very short and only took an hour or two to read, but I love short and fun sci-fi.
Cloud
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I picked this novella up for free a while back and I am pleased to finally have gotten around to reading it. It's short and sweet, but I liked getting to know the characters as they learned about each other. The world/universe building is fascinating and feels as though it has good thought out bones. Overall I am very pleased with this book and will be looking into the next in line.
Debbie Scott
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

Only those that have been alone would know how Jeremiah felt on his three years of traveling. The way he gets Naomie is surprising to say the least. Do we see her in the future books or does he put her off on the first available station? Thank you for a great start, Danny Scott.
J.
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A well-written sci fi novella that takes a deeper look at an outworlder's unresolved issues. Not my usual shoot-'em-up military sci fi, definitely deeper, and fascinating in the undertones of the male-female relationship that can't be advanced with words. Professionally edited, formatted, and proofed; nothing to get in the way of reading absorption. Four strong stars.
  • Imperfect (Lacuna)
  • The Dwellers Saga Boxed Set
  • The Backworlds (The Backworlds, #1)
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • Adrift (Callisto, #2)
  • A Plain Jane (Plain Jane, #1)
  • Only Human (The Targon Tales, #2)
  • The Sixth Discipline (Haven, #1)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files, #1)
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Hard Duty (Merkiaari Wars, #1)
  • American Epidemic #0.5
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Breaking Gravity
  • L.A. Dark (Jeremy's Run, #1)
  • Progenitor
  • Great American Short Stories
  • Beneath the Starry Sky (1Night Stand, #70)
When Joe Vasicek was seven years old, he saw Star Wars and instantly fell in love with Science Fiction & Fantasy. A year later, when he read A Wrinkle in Time and The Neverending Story, he knew he was destined to be a writer.

As a young man, he spent several years as a global nomad, criss-crossing the United States and trekking across the mountains of the Caucasus, the shores of the Mediterrane

Star Wanderers (8 books)
  • Fidelity (Star Wanderers, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Star Wanderers, #3)
  • Homeworld (Star Wanderers, #4)
  • Dreamweaver (Star Wanderers, #5)
  • Benefactor (Star Wanderers, #6)
  • Reproach (Star Wanderers, #7)
  • Deliverance (Star Wanderers, #8)