Start by marking “The Pretenders (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pretenders (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #1)

The Pretenders

(The Cemetery Girl Trilogy #1)

She calls herself Calexa Rose Dunhill—names taken from the grim surroundings where she awoke, bruised and bloody, with no memory of who she is, how she got there, or who left her for dead.

She has made the cemetery her home, living in a crypt and avoiding human contact. But Calexa can’t hide from the dead—and because she can see spirits, they can’t hide from her.

Then one
Published January 7th 2014 by InkLit (first published January 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Pretenders, please sign up.

Start your review of The Pretenders (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #1)
Chris
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh. The art is pretty good, if a bit pedestrian. It doesn't break any new ground, but it's definitely equal to most serial comic book art I've seen. I don't really like Charlaine Harris, though working in a library I'm very aware of her books. But the premise fascinated me, and I gave it a shot.

The main character has virtually no arc. We know almost nothing about her personality whatsoever, other than she has a shadowy past she is unable to remember, and she doesn't like stealing. Or, murder, I
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum: http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Despite reading my fair share of comics and graphic novels, I usually leave the reviewing of them to Wendy and Tiara. Theirs are always really good, whereas I wouldn't even have any idea where to begin! So, you're going to have to bear with me here. This will be my first ever comic review for the site, but I'm also really excited because it is for none other than Charlaine Harris and Christopher Golden's Cemetery Girl
Gina
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome graphic novel!! I loved the mystery and the pacing of the story. The illustrations were beautifully done with rich full colors. It was a wonderful story. It was action packed and thrilling. I loved every minute of it!!
Celine
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Summary: A woman wakes up in a cemetery with no memory of her identity or her past. She only remembers someone trying to kill her. She soon finds out she has powers that will force her to do something else than hiding.

What I liked:
- Cemetery Girl is so pretty! There is a lot of detailing in the background, and as most of the story is set in the cemetery, it's very atmospheric
- I'm still a total graphic novel noob, so quite often I tend to be a bit at loss at what's going on; I didn't have any of
Shannon
Beautiful artwork and a somewhat predictable yet engaging tale. Would read the next one in the series.
Alicia Riley
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good art work.

Plot starts with teen girl who wakes up bloody and bruised with no memory in cemetery. Given herself the name Calexa Rosa Dunhill she makes her home in cemetery. While looking at newspapers to see if she has anyone looking for her she discover she can see sprits of the dead.

Good read though there can be some improvements with plot and character arched

Veronica
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Children who are unlikely to run away from home.
I liked Charlaine Harris enough to pick up this book sight unseen. I didn't even realize it was a graphic novel until I opened it on my kindle, and an image came up. Heck, I'd forgotten I'd even bought it for weeks. Probably could have happily continued that way.

Meh.

The book is so very meh.

Story premise: Girl wakes up with no memory in a cemetery. Almost no memory, anyway. She knows someone tried to kill her. So she hides there, because she's terrified if she goes to the police, they'll send
Yodamom
3.5
I loved the mystery and the pacing of the story. The illustrations were beautifully done with rich full colors. I like how we never got any hint of where she came from little snippets of something but no real connections to her past. I also enjoyed the ghost's abilities to fill the holes, it was very unique. The story was original and left me wanting more. I do plan on continuing with the series as soon as I can get them from the library.
I am a fan of Charlaine Harris. I have read all her
Jim Angstadt
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
The Pretenders (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy #1)
Charlaine Harris (Goodreads Author),
Christopher Golden (Goodreads Author)

This graphic novel just did not work for me. The characters had little depth; the plot felt more comic then real. It was a fast but not satisfying read.
Gina
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I needed a graphic novel selection for a book club. I can appreciate the art and stories, but I'm not a big fan of the genre. I chose this because I like Harris' other written work. I thought the art was pretty good even though I didn't think it told the story as well as it could have - more illustrated the info dump text boxes instead of being able to work alone. OK plot but as this is the first of a trilogy? it is incomplete.
Monica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read a graphic novel before. I read this because I needed a book with pictures for my Popsugar reading challenge. I love Charlaine Harris so I thought I would give it a try. I finished the book in 20 minutes. This is a great book for a teenage girl. It was quick, had action and a moving story. At the end things were resolved but there were still some unanswered questions that make you wanting more.
Paula  Phillips
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awakening in a cemetery with no knowledge of who she was and how she got there, just that she must have been left there to die. Cemetery Girl adopts the names of people she sees on gravestones and becomes the "cemetery ghost" . What she will witness though is a couple of murders, done by teenagers who think that black magic and resurrection of the dead is cool. The other thing is that Cemetery Girl has the ability to see ghosts spirits and watch them either rise to the heavens or hover on ...more
Ionia
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Charlaine Harris novels for so long, going to a graphic novel from the same author was a bit of a change--but I really liked it. I wasn't sure what I would think, as I know how much I enjoy her usual books, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this.

This book just feels good in the hands. The pages are filled with excellent artwork and the story is not difficult to follow. This was an easy and fun read that didn't take too long to read but still told a complete story.

I
Otherwyrld
A teenage girl wakes up in a cemetery with no memory after someone tries to murder her and dumped her body there. Afraid of revealing herself, she makes her home in a crypt and watches other peoples funerals. There she discovers that she can see the souls of the dead departing their mortal shell. It is only when she witnesses a murder that she cannot tell anyone about, and is possessed by the soul of the dead girl, that she actually has to come out of the shadows.

This is a nicely done story,
DAulan  Collins
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read graphic novels, in fact I have only read one besides this one, but I'm going to have to look more into this type of book. "The Cemetery Girl" was awesome! And I can't wait until the next book comes out! well worth the pice.
Maxine Livingstone
An enjoyable read about a young woman who died. When she comes back to life in a cemetery she doesn't remember about anything about who she is, where she came from, and who tried to kill her. Deciding to keep herself hidden in case of her would be killer coming back to finish the job permanently Calexa (name the character given herself) lives in a cemetery for teo months. Throughout her time there she becomes aware that she has the ability to see ghosts. Also she gains two friends who help her ...more
Bethany Zimp
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't realize this would be such a small volume and a mystery in comic book form. I didn't mind the story in that style and some of the art was lovely, but it didn't seem like there was much of a story. I would consider reading another (perhaps the backstory was just cumbersome to tell). Perhaps a good recommend for a young teen or struggling reader?
Jo
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
It was okay. The story line was a good idea but I felt that the authors could have done much more to it. I enjoyed the art and the concept of the soul. Not sure if I will continue the series.
Joanna
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Not bad at all.
Hope I get to read the other parts at some point.
Carolyn F.
I'm a little too old for this book I think. A young girl (high school age) is dumped in a cemetery but doesn't remember why. Quick read. I'm not sure I'll read more of this series.
Madeline
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 Stars

Graphic Novel

I am not really a graphic novel fan, but I was curious when I saw the author was Charlaine Harris.
David Schwan
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book. A teenage girl finds herself either dead or alive and is forced to live in a cemetery. She can see things that she should not. The caretaker of the cemetery helps her, and she helps keep the vandalism down in the cemetery. Not sure where the story will lead. Nice Graphics.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 3 stars
Art: 4 stars

Full-color YA contemporary/supernatural graphic novel. A teen-aged girl wakes up in a cemetery with amnesia. She has glimpses of someone trying to kill her, and decides that she is safer hiding out in the cemetery, at least until she can figure out a better plan. Basically this is The Graveyard Book in graphic novel form for teens. Art is above average and the story is interesting, especially if you like cemeteries, but the characterization is slight and the plot has a
Laurel
This book has the distinction of being the very first graphic novel I've ever read...at least the first one I remember reading. I know I read some assorted comics when I was a little kid (like Betty & Veronica or Garfield comic books for kids), and I loved them, but I never caught onto reading them as I got older. (I may have read others, maybe even a graphic novel of two...but if I did it was too long ago to remember.) I've always been overwhelmed by all the superhero comics that have been ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Cemetery Girl Book One: The Pretenders is the first in an original graphic novel trilogy authored by Charlaine Harris and Christopher Golden with art and letters by Don Kramer, Daniele Rudoni and Jacob Bascle.

Cemetery Girl introduces a teenage girl who awakens in a graveyard with no memory of who she is but certain someone tried to kill her. Taking her name from the gravestones that surrounds her, Calexa Rose Dunhill decides to remain hidden until she can figure out who she is and why someone
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

Calexa Rose Dunhill isn’t her name, but since she can’t remember who she is she names herself from the surroundings in which she woke; Calexa from the crypt nearby, Rose from a gravestone and Dunhill from the cemetery. Until she can figure out who killed her, why she woke up in a cemetery, why she can see spirits and who she is she decides it’s safer to make her home in a crypt. With the unobtrusive help of the old caretaker, Mr. Kelner and an old lady, Lucinda Cameron, who
Yolanda Sfetsos
I borrowed this book from my local library and got stuck into it as soon as I got home. I'm a huge Charlaine Harris fan, so I was looking forward to reading this graphic novel.

When a young girl is dumped in the cemetery and left for dead, she eventually wakes up and is sure she was dead for a while. She doesn't remember how she got there, why she was dumped, or even who she is. So she decides to hide in the cemetery and builds a life for herself by hiding in a mausoleum and stealing food from
Sketching Girl
I absolutely loved this! I love the True Blood tv series (based on the books by Charlaine Harris), and I have loved a Buffy novel by Christopher Golden (The Lost Slayer), so I was excited to see their names on the cover of a brand new series called 'Cemetery Girl'. This immediately made me think of vampires, and is that a Buffy like vampire slayer running through the graveyard at night I see on the cover? Actually this is a much more inventive story, so far not based on vampires, but definitely ...more
Richard Pittman
I'm withholding a star rating on this book until I read at least one more volume. I hope my library has it. The book is quick and easy to read, and the story is engaging enough, even if it's a little thin and pretty derivative of Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book".The Graveyard Book. That derivativeness is its major downfall as a creative endeavour, but the book is at least a decent read. But really, why would you even publish a story like this that is such a retelling another book that is quite ...more
Cloak88
(Review of the Graphic Audio: Audiobook adaptation)

Short but very good work. 3.5

No memories, no identity and no place to call home. That's where she starts: right in the middle of a cemetery, without a clue who she is or how she got there.

That's all the premise I'm willing to give, far better to experience it for yourself. The story though not all that original is superbly portrayed by the Graphic Audio team. This is a audiobook adaptation of a graphic novel (comic), and it shouldn't work, but
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Blood Work (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures vol 1
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Cub
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures vol 2
  • House of Night: Legacy (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #1-5)
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 2: Mal Practice
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night
  • The Lemesurier Inheritance: A Hercule Poirot Short Story
  • This Is Me, Period.: The Art, Pleasures, and Playfulness of Punctuation
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 3: Haunted Houses
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 2: Dark Endeavors
  • Hopcross Jilly #1-6 (Mercy Thompson)
  • The Legend of the Fire Princess (She-Ra Graphic Novel #1)
  • Flower Fairies of the Autumn
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Luck of the Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #7)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry

The Cemetery Girl Trilogy (3 books)
  • Inheritance (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #2)
  • Haunted (The Cemetery Girl Trilogy, #3)