Start by marking “Fog a Dox” as Want to Read:
Fog a Dox

Fog a Dox

Albert Cutts is a tree feller. A fella who cuts down trees. Fog is a fox cub raised by a dingo. He’s called a dox because people are suspicious of foxes and Albert Cutts owns the dingo and now the dox. Albert is a bushman and lives a remote life surrounded by animals and birds. All goes well until Albert has an accident ...
This is a story of courage, acceptance and respec
Published August 2012 by Magabala Books

Start your review of Fog a Dox
Siobhán
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute little story build around a bushman and his dox Fog - a fox that grew up thinking he was a dog. Just like this word play, "Fog a Dox" combines a multi-layered story effortlessly incorporating Indigenous heritage with beautiful insight into dogs, foxes, men and nature. (And they mentioned a wombat - I love wombats.)
Louisa Karmouche
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful little book! A really nice take about a man and his animals. The visuals Bruce conjures puts you right in the mountainous bush.
Katg
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I read all week & that's six books! Loved the characters the atmosphere, the appreciation of fogs/ foxes, so well written like all his fiction -should be read by everyone, 12 years and up, read it in half a day but it stayed with me & took me away all at the same time! When someone asks did you go away on your time off I can say 'Yes- to forest & a river & a place full of birds & quiet, honest, friendly reality'. ...more
Sabrina
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short, but lovely story I would especially recommend to dog owners or nature lovers.
The author manages to portrait a humorous, yet surprisingly convincing picture of the canine's inner world, as well catch the affection shared between man and dog in such a pure and subtle way, it made me tear up at some parts since I have grown up with dogs myself. Beside that, the entire relationship with nature and especially with the dox (fox-dog) is written with love, care and an undertone of humour,but w
Emkoshka
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mum recently went to a reading given by Bruce Pascoe and came home with a signed copy of this sweet little tale, which she then sent to Canada for my birthday. It had me at the first line: 'Albert Cutts was a tree feller. A fella who cuts down trees'; I'm currently living in the middle of a forest with a former tree feller and so it was very appropriate! I haven't been back to Australia for two years now but reading about all the native wildlife and trees, as told in a gorgeous and lyrical verna ...more
Nick Moulton
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very sweet little young adult fiction.
Despi O’Connor
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Read it and discussed with year 4 students. Was a tough text for them but had really good discussions about friendship, judging others and caring for earth, animals and others. Language was rich so we could look at different ideas used by the author. Loved it!
Bec
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce really does have a way with words. Another beautiful book about human nature, looking after animals and each other and not judging a book (or a person, or a fox) by its cover. A great read for all ages.
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for Year 7 English. Can be read and understood on a number of levels
Nancy White
GREAT BOOK. It’s a short little novella, it’ll take you basically no time to read and every second you spend on it will be WORTH IT. Incorporating Indigenous Australian language and culture, featuring characters who are genuinely good people and a gorgeous plot about Fog (a Dox) - I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Great stuff, honestly, especially if you are looking to read more Australian literature or writing by diverse authors and about diverse characters.
Robyn Mundy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can’t tell you how much I loved this exquisite book. Such heart and soul. It made me want to weep. It is listed as YA but I would recommend it to any reader, any age. It is beautiful. In addition, an author with a blue heeler (Australian Cattle dog) has to be a good sort 😊🐶🐶
Alex
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another novella but another one that I really enjoyed.

It was a generally heart-warming, sweet story about love and acceptance. I did find that it was a bit slow and boring in places but, as it was very short, I made my way through it very easily.
Alissa
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rating for me. I loved the relation of Albert and animals. The only thing I didn't quite like was when too many humans got involved. I could have a whole book just about Albert and the animals interacting.
Jaq
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Old school bush yarn, delightful.
Jacqui Nicholls
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely short young fiction book. The language brought the voice to life. Kindness to others no matter differences is key theme.
Cynthia
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it
A lovely little story but the ending was too abrupt
Josh
Aug 02, 2019 added it
Great
Sue Law
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feel good, young adult novella about a tree feller (or fella) who saves a litter of fox cubs and rears them with his latest half dingo litter. Most of the foxes return to the wild, but not Fog
Flynn Van Stryp
Apr 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Horrible book, had to read for school.
Lisa
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fog a Dox is another addition to the reviews of children’s books which I’m contributing to Indigenous Literature Week that I’ve been hosting on my ANZ LitLovers Blog.

Bruce Pascoe, of Bunerong-Tasmanian heritage, is an award-winning indigenous author, editor and compiler of anthologies. (I have a copy of his adult novel Earth on my TBR and will be reading it soon.) In addition to writing a number of novels and non-fiction books for adults, he has also published a Wathaurong dictionary to support
Marj Osborne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A gentle lilting 'dog' which shines a spotlight on the companionship between man and beast - thankfully no reference made to the brutality often endured by animals. A story of the bush, which provides a microcosm of larger society - finding warmth in the companionship of animals, the pain resulting from harassment/bullying, the fragility of life, the forging of unlikely friendships, and an unlikely hero who shows strength in adversity. This story is suitable for pre to early teens and above. Qui ...more
Lynda
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-read, kids-teens
Fog is the name of a dog, who is actually a fox, rescued as a tiny whimpering cub by kind-hearted tree-feller, Albert Cutts. Set in the harsh Australian bush, this is a gentle but powerful novel, which young students (lower secondary for example), will be able to easily understand and digest. Underlying themes include insights about friendship, loneliness, prejudice, Indigenous perspective and nature.
A unique and special book.
For reads with a similar feel, maybe try: Storm Boy - Thiele; A Differ
Sass
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A nice, easily digested read. I wish it didn't end so abruptly, I understand the purpose of that what with Maria being so sick, but I was so invested in these characters I wanted to see more of their lives played out.
Saturday's Child
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable children's story with some wonderful characters.
Rosalie
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Black Cockatoo
  • The Things She's Seen
  • Too Much Lip
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • Frankissstein: A Love Story
  • Shauna's Great Expectations
  • Gingerbread
  • The Dog Runner
  • Only Mostly Devastated
Bruce Pascoe was born of Bunurong and Tasmanian Aboriginal heritage in the Melbourne suburb of Richmond and graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Education. He is a member of the Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative of southern Victoria and has been the director of the Australian Studies Project for the Commonwealth Schools Commission.

Bruce has had a varied career as a teach