Start by marking “Night of the Zombie Goldfish (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #1)” as Want to Read:
Night of the Zombie Goldfish (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #1)

Night of the Zombie Goldfish

(Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories)

Funny, light-hearted monster stories that are perfect for young readers, brought to us by the esteemed Dr. Roach.

Judd Crank and his friend Zak are two ordinary boys, in an ordinary town, with some very ordinary goldfish. Judd never thought much about his pet fish, besides sometimes needing to feed them.

But when a science experiment accidentally gets mixed in with their
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Zombie Goldfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Zombie Goldfish

Start your review of Night of the Zombie Goldfish (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #1)
Mehsi
Haha, this was even more fabulous than I had hoped it would be. I enjoyed each page, and the story was just hilarious. Zombie goldfish ahoy!

Welcome to an ordinary town. Two ordinary boys (well ish). A couple of ordinary goldfish.... or are they? *dum dum dum*

It starts as most of these books do, you just know it is about to go wrong. But even if it is predictable you are still eager to find out how badly it will go wrong. What will happen because of such a mistake? Will it be fixed? Or will the
Stacy Fetters
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
"They're coming to get you Barbara!"
Zombie goldfish on the loose due to a neighbor feeding his friends fish. He feeds him an experiment and burp...burp...burp. Bam! Zombie Fishies roaming the earth.
This was cute and the pictures were even cuter.
Tanner Brock
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked how they turned the zombie fish back to normal.
Jane Maple
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
KidlitUnderground
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hgc
Hilarious, genius concept simply but brilliantly executed. My 5-year-old and I did it in 3 nights - the writing was tight enough that it kept his attention and memory as one of his first long books. Love the kid who’s a mad scientist too. :)
XIS Grade 3
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3ja-read-to-self
David Q: I like this book because Judd Crank loves goldfish. I also liked it. And this book tells us about zombies and I have a connection to a game called Plants vs. Zombies.
Teril
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scholastic
Have you ever wondered what happened to your goldfish is they have ever disappeared. It is not to the shiny porcelain bowl that they disappear into with Dr. Roach’s latest book of Monstrous Stories with the release of Night Of The Zombie Goldfish, no it is more than that when the remains of a science experiment fall into a jar of goldfish food in the Crank family.

Judd Crank thought that his science experiment had failed when it exploded and he dropped the experiment into the closest container
Carol
What do you get when you mix fifteen innocent little goldfish and the goop from a half-finished experiment hidden in a fish food container? Why Zombie Goldfish, of course! Judd is an enterprising young scientist. His lab is in the garage where he can make anything he wants to. Unfortunately, he is not the most organized of chemists so when his friend, Zak, comes to feed his fish there are some unexpected and disastrous results. The two team up to set things right and they become heroes of their ...more
Michelle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, zombie
Too cute! So a scientist kid, Judd, makes some wacky unstable chemical and stores it in an old fish food container and has a friend come over later to feed his goldfish. Zak, being such a good friend, feeds the fish and horrible bubbles and sounds come out of the tank. Zak believes he has killed the fish and makes a ran for it. Little does he know zombie goldfish are now reeking havoc on the town and Judd and Zak have to work together on getting these scaly pets under control! Great ...more
Tiffany
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This is a great little chapter book: it was illustrated on every page, the font was nice and big and there were some good action words, the story was fast-paced and entertaining. My son picked it up at a book fair a few weeks ago, but I read it to him tonight for the first time. I could read the whole thing in one bedtime story time, which is great since he made me read the whole thing in one bedtime story time. It's a good book for transitioning from picture books to chapter books because of ...more
Mari Anne
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
Wow! What a great early chapter book series for boys! How great is the title... "Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories"!!! Aidan and I really enjoyed this first book in this new series from the Scholastic Book flyer. It's silly and and crazy... perfect for six and seven year old boys (or girls!) Aidan is already begging for more. It's easy enough to read (approx reading level 2-3) that he should be reading them independently soon. A great read aloud for younger kids too!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fish, friendship, pets, zombies
When a "mad scientist" little boy has to go away with his family, he leaves it to his friend to feed his goldfish. Unfortunately, he friend feeds them on of his experiments and the goldfish morph into giant zombie fish that terrorize the town. The two boys much work together to get the goldfish back to normal.

Very zany and fun. Good for early readers. Chapters are short and there are fun illustrations to go with each page.
Jackson
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-children
My 3 year-old daughter is currently obsessed with this book and it was fun to be able to read a few chapters to her before bed over the course of two or three nights. It is a fun beginners chapter book that we enjoyed together. There were several laugh out load moments for her, which in turn made me laugh too.
Chelsea
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a humorous story. I can certainly say it was a fun laugh out loud book. I cant imagine some of the combinations of verbs and nouns in this book. It would be perfect as a read aloud for kids.
Maria
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 7 year old read this book put loud to me. He found it hilarious.
Ann Moody
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, I liked it and thought it fit right into the Captain Underpants mold. But my kiddo was "scared" by the zombie fish. Just didn't get the irony.
Catherine Crook
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
cute chapter book about a smart kid whose experiment goes wrong resulting in zombie goldfish. :-) My son and I loved this book!
Shyla
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was awesome! I liked the ending.
Young readers will enjoy this fast paced novel about giant zombie goldfish. Good read-aloud.
Mayra
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, bookaday-2014
Just right for the age group...second grade.
Stephanie (Bookish Plans)
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fun series to get into with my 6 and 9 year old boys. They found it funny and corky.
Kelli
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Delightful! Funny and imaginative, this short take is perfect for new or struggling readers who love adventure & comedy with a dash of science!
Andrew
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, so it's a kids book. Saw the title and just could not resist. Cute story; great for those of you who still are lucky enough to read to their kids at night.
Megan
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ryan-s-choice
new favorite series of my 8 year-old
Sharie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
High interest, low level reader
Brandy Chinery
Dec 03, 2014
Alanzhu
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Meet the Bigfeet (The Yeti Files, #1)
  • Who Would Win?: Polar Bear vs. Grizzly Bear
  • The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers (Super Diaper Baby, #2)
  • Eight Dolphins of Katrina: A True Tale of Survival
  • What Was the Age of the Dinosaurs?
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Horrible Harry and the Holidaze (Horrible Harry, #16)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts (Weird But True, #1)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • Frindle
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea?
  • Guinea Pigs Online (Guinea Pigs Online, #1)
  • Squishy Taylor and the Vase That Wasn't (Squishy Taylor, #3)
  • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
  • Why Were Mummies Wrapped? (Ancient Egypt: First Questions And Answers)
  • Andrew Lost In the Bathroom (Andrew Lost, #2)

Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories (4 books)
  • Attack of the Giant Hamster (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #2)
  • Frogosaurus Vs. The Bog Monster (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #3)
  • The Day the Mice Stood Still (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #4)