Start by marking “Dragon Run” as Want to Read:
Dragon Run

Dragon Run

A boy goes on the run in this fast-paced fantasy debut.

Can a zero become a hero?

Testing Day is supposed to be a day of celebration for Al Pilgrommor. Born into a wealthy family, he expects to follow in his successful father's footsteps. Of course, that all depends on the rank number Al receives at the testing. The higher the rank he has tattooed onto his neck, the better h
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press

Experiment BL626
Dragon Run was exciting and fun!

+ the plot

The first half was good. I liked how exposition was conveyed without tipping into info-dumping territory. Never once did the story feel slow going. In fact, there was always suspense which surprised and thrilled me.

Once the plot hit the half mark, it ran faster. There was CONSPIRACY. It appeared Al’s induction as a rank zero triggered converging schemes into motion. Hot damn!

When the plot reached last quarter mark, it ran furiously. Revelations struck, b
Sam
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not only does Dragon Run have a great cover, but it also was a great story.

Patrick Matthews has created a fun, exciting, action packed story that is full of relatable and realistic characters. Truly a book I’d recommend to anyone looking for a good read.

As mentioned Dragon Run is full of action. It has sword fights, daring escapes from killers, and fire breathing dragons. The story though is what really hooked me and kept me glued to the pages. Dragon Run is fast paced, explains itself, so reade
Ms. Yingling
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Al has high hopes for his Testing, but is assigned a zero, the lowest rank in his medeivalish community. A guard helps him escape because of a hat he has borrowed, and tells him that Cullers want to kill not only him, but his entire family. His friend Wisp's father, a former military man involved in a horrible dragon battle, knew that Al would be a zero and warned the family. Al heads to Brighton and teams up with Bird, an "earther", and the two are in the city when it is attacked by rockeaters. ...more
Shanshad Whelan
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, mg, fantasy
(Review of an Advanced Reader Copy, so basing this on things that may change by the final print) Okay . . . so this lands at about a 3.5 for me. Which is pretty amazing considering I was ready not to be won over at all by a "dragon" book. A lot of the plot elements in here are not particularly new: a society living under dragon overlords are all ranked on their testing day--and that rank will define their place in the world. Al is a young man who expects and hopes to get a high rank number . . . ...more
Jen Marqt
First time book author, Patrick Matthews, has created a wonderful, believable, couldn't-put-it-down story. My only 'complaint' is that I wanted more explanation about everything! But for the average intermediate student it is just right. Characters were real and other races that inhabit this world are creative and multi-dimensional. I really, really hope there will be a sequel. The two small bits of girl-interested-in-unsuspecting-boy are easily read over and so boys, as well as girls, will be p ...more
demonslayer666
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love how in the sunken city some thing rubbed against his leg and he freaked out it was such a funny twist and the suspsense in it was amazing i read it because it was awesome i love it please make a second book.
Peter
Feb 23, 2017 added it
It is surprising long. It is an AMAZING adventure story with so much action and an extremely well developed plot. The magical world inside the book is also amazing. I couldn't stop reading it.
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The first 75% of this book was so completely pointless, it almost made me want to stop reading it. Okay okay, we got it in the first chapter that zeros are bad and that the Cullers are going to kill not only Al, but his entire family as well.
But this book took its damned sweet time in actually getting to the point after the initial set-up. Most of the book after Al was ranked was just him running around and... um... not dying? Yeah, okay. I don't really want to read a book about that.
But once th
Emily
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
This was definitely not one of those books that I was sad to finish reading. In fact, I skimmed the last 70 pages or so, and really, I still got what I needed from the story. This isn't a bad book, but it is underdeveloped. It focuses a lot on plot and setting, with very little character development or background. I just didn't care about the main character - Al. The setting is really intriguing - fantastical kingdom ruled by dragons where everyone is ranked from 0-7 at the age of twelve. But th ...more
Tamara Richman
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh so close to excellent, there were moments I thought you would cross over but... no. Still a quite acceptable dragon fantasy with enough originality to keep ones interest. The furred warriors (forget their name) were cool. I actually wanted more background on the dragons, magisters and cullers and less on Al's thoughts and feelings. Ah well, by all means hand it to your 3rd-6th grade dragon fans.
Nilsson
They got the better of the Dragons, and I'm glad it was easy for them. On the part of the Dragons, I thought they could be more cunning than that. It seems like a fish story, but fact is stranger than fiction.
Christiana
Fun and unpredictable-I liked this world a lot! The best thing you can do for booktalking this is give no description-I loved getting to be surprised because I had NO IDEA what the book jacket said. Easier said than done, I know, but the results are worth it.
Mary
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I know Pat Matthews as an inspired board game designer, so could not wait to read his book as well. It did not disappoint - read it in 2 sittings! Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good story to get lost in. :)
Mar 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: charliesshelf
My 10 year old sped through this book and really enjoyed it. I'll try to get him to write an actual review soon.
Stacy Goodworth
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was fun, fast paced, and enjoyable. Kids would love it. And it certainly was an interesting twist on the old story where a nobody is the only one who can change the world for the better.
Bill Tillman
Wonderful page turner, it keeps you interested from 1st page to the last. Very enjoyable MG type tale.
Jayden
Oct 23, 2018 added it
Gina Schaarschmidt
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't regularly seek out dragon stories, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It has elements of a dystopian novel except that dragons are in charge.

Everyone who turns 12 is subjected to a test that filters them into a caste system. Al comes from one of the higher castes, but gets branded a ZERO. Many people didn't even know there was a caste lower than a One. He is then shot into survival mode. The society has "cullers," who seek out and cull zeros and their families for the good of th
Karin
Interesting premise. All 12 year olds get tested and rated. Your future depends on your rating. Al gets the worst rating of all- a zero- and he is now on the run b/c the 'herd' cullers want to eliminate all useless humans AND their immediate family. Dragons are the creators of the human race and they live to work for the dragons.

Now Al has to re-create a life for himself against all odds. With no job, not much money and nobody wanting to hire a zero and a death price on his head Al is down about
Twyla
Alexei Katsuyama
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lasse Schmidt
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
D.L. Price
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dragon Run was very well written. It had a unique story with a fast pace adventure. I never wanted to put the book down. Being that said, the title totally threw me off. It's obvious that Dragon Run was to catch dragon enthusiasts readers. But be warned - you will be disappointed. Dragons are mentioned throughout the book, but not the main characters until the last chapters. I expected more dragon action just because of the title. Dragon fans will be let down by the lack of dragon characters in ...more
Frank DePascale
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good fantasy book. I thought it had a lot of good characters that were easy to follow. I personally wasn't interested at all in this book because I'm not too fond of fantasy books such as Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. After I started reading it, I started liking it and I wanted to read more with each page. Definitely a good book.
Jonas Barkevich
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I would often read it with my mom for an hour before bed. The ending was very satisfying and I felt the characters came off the page. Truly an amazing adventure. A page turner
Andrew Chen
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very tense and thrilling book to see.
D'Arcy
M. M.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome and Inspiring
The Dragon's Lair: Dragon Run 1 6 Apr 20, 2013 11:55AM
  • Bot Wars (Bot Wars, #1)
  • The Key and the Flame
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • The Return of the Dragon
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Parched
  • Box 1571
  • The Fellowship for Alien Detection
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Cats at Sea (Anton and Cecil #1)
  • Haunters
  • Magicalamity
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • The Path of Names
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • The Ability (The Ability, #1)
For a bio, take a look at my web site. It's easier to keep it there so I only have one place to upgrade it.