Start by marking “The Guest House” as Want to Read:
The Guest House

The Guest House

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,033 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
For generations, the natives of Harrisport have watched wealthy summer families descend on their Cape Cod town and inhabit the massive cottages along the town's best stretches of beachfront. But when rich southerner Tucker Moss breaks the heart of local girl Edie Wright in the summer of 1962, an enduring war is started between the two families that lasts for generations.

As
Published June 4th 2013 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about The Guest House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guest House

Susan
This is my review for Fresh Fiction for this awesome book!

Tamara
LOVED. Loves, letting go of past loves, opening yourself to new loves- and telling the truth about a family story that has been going on for years. Mystery, love, characters that are real and human, and the beach- to new beginnings and new chances- this book has something for everyone.

*Full review: Traveling With T
Laura Kay Bolin
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews

The guest house that sits on the Moss property is so much more then what it appears. For one mother and daughter in Harrisport it is a place where love begins and ends.

In 1966, Tucker Moss a summer kid on Cape Cod broke local girl Edie's heart, while her team was building the guest house on the Moss property. Years later, her very own daughter didn't heed her advice. Her daughter, Lexi endured the same end with Tucker's son, Hudson. Eleven years later Lexi
J.M. Maison
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...equal parts sweet and poignant love stories and nostalgic looks back at what was and might have been. The author deftly weaves together three generations of love stories and parent-child relationships... laced with regrets, secrets, heartbreak, mystery, and summer love--all set against the beautiful backdrop of Cape Cod. As always, Marks describes the beach and coastal scenes so well that I could almost feel the silky sand between my toes and the tangy sea breeze on my face. ...more
MaryannC.Book Fiend
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Snuck this in during this Labor Day weekend and this was a perfect end-of-the-summer read. As I said before, I'm a sucker for a good romance book and this had everything that appealed to me!
Kathryn
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
The cover looks like someplace I would like to be! Loved the book I just wanted it to go on and on.
Heidi
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four stars: A book about letting go of the past.

Lexi settles into the familiar booth of her favorite coffee shop, awaiting the arrival of her best friend. Harrisport is coming alive as the citizens of the town shake off the winter and prepare for the onslaught of summer tourists. Lexi loves watching her town return to life. Not much has changed in Harrisport over the years. Lexi finds that even after two years of being away, things are about the same. Everywhere she turns, she is haunted by the
L.E. Fidler
how do i even start?

this is unabashedly a "beach read" which i guess now means "a book literally about the beach that you can read on the beach!"

somewhere, dan brown's head is exploding.

the plot of this one is a little...muddled. it's basically romeo and juliet meets while you were sleeping meets bad girls don't die (minus the priest, the suicide, and the ghosts). ON THE BEACH.

or, more specifically, cape cod. because if you're going to write about the beach, you best do it proper, son.

look, i'm
Viviane Crystal
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Edie, Lexie, and Meg Wright, three generations of women strongly affected by the summer visitors to their home in a small Cape Cod town, are each hoping to leave behind the painful memories that each have from love gone awry. Edie has a construction business composed of women and is shocked when she is asked to take part of the project to repair and prepare the Moss family’s summer home and cottage for sale. For Tucker Moss broke her heart back in the late 1960s and her son and late husband have ...more
Julie Barrett
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Guest House by Erika Marks
I first wanted to read this book after listening to Erika and other authors talk in a Writerspace chat about their latest releases.
Love having the book in my hand-even feels like the canvas that covered the old wooden sling chairs at my grandparents beach house around Sachusett Point back in the 60's.
This book is about a house on Cape Cod and we learn that Mr. Tucker had a thing for Mrs. Wright. We learn as the chapters go back in time to the present that it started
Betty
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lexi returned home after 2 years abroad studying at the Royal Academy of Arts in London. So little had changed in her home town of Harrisport on the cape. She was one of the people that lived there year round. The town, however, had a large influx of summer people who brought a lot of money into the town. Lexi had known better than to get involved with the summer boys, however she had fallen in love with one and he had broken her heart. Even now, eleven years later, the hurt was still there. Le ...more
Judy Collins
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Erika Marks and was pleasantly surprised. Since I live in a 1920's guest cottage, in Downtown historic West Palm Beach, FL--the cover was a huge draw with an array of loveable characters.

An engaging read, in a beachfront Cape setting (so romantic)—seamlessly blending generations of two families from past to present. A romantic mystery and parent/child relationships---about letting go of the past. We all have memories of summers and homes which are no longer standing—ma
Samantha March
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of The Guest House by Erika Marks in exchange for an honest review.

As I’ve been known to favor books that go between past and present, it should come to no surprise how much I enjoyed this book. While usually the past is meaning the late 1800’s or early 1900’s, this book features the time period of 1966, when Edie gets her heart broken from Tucker Moss. It was great to read the entwined stories of how mother and daughter both suffered at the hands of a Moss man, and the other s
Amy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how thrilled I was when Erika Marks messaged me on twitter saying she'd love to give me a copy of The Guest House. I got kind of giddy...well actually I get that way every time I get a book in the mail but anyway. Right before and after the book came out I saw many readers on twitter raving about it so I knew, one way or another, I had to read it.

It so happens that I've read a bunch of novels lately that alternate between two different periods. And to be honest I'm liking them
OpenBookSociety.com
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Dawn

Lexi Wright is back home after attending photography school in London for the past two years. She seems to be in a good place, until she finds out Cooper Moss is in town to sell his family home. Cooper wants Lexi to photograph the home. For Lexi, it brings up a lot of emotions she left behind a long time ago. As she works, memories of her time with Hudson are overwhelming.

The book jumps back and forth in time. The points
Melissa Crytzer Fry
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect summer beach read, though, in my desert location, I was far from water, and in fact, gobbling up this book on my Kindle as I hit the treadmill.

In her third novel, Marks paints a multigenerational tale of love-gone-wrong and love-gone-right for the Wright and Moss families. The author’s prose, as always, sings from the page. In all of her novels, Marks writes about food in a way that makes the mouth water (I can still taste those toffee sticky buns). In this novel, she showcas
Patti
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
“The Guest House” doesn’t fit my usual favorite genre, but I will admit that it held my attention. I’m not particularly a fan of modern stories, and the farthest back this one goes in time was 1966, but every once in awhile it’s fun to try something out of the comfort zone!

Lexi returns to her hometown in Cape Cod after eleven years to visit family and friends. She is offered the job of photographing a “cottage” so that it can be put on the national historical register and then be sold. It just s
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
When Lexi Wright returns to Harrisport after being away for 2 years, she has no thoughts of running into any member of the Moss family. When she’s contact by Cooper Moss about taking pictures of the Moss’ seaside estate, she accepts the job, thinking that she could work the job and remain unaffected by the memories that haunt the house. What she doesn’t expect is to find herself extremely drawn to Cooper, the brother of her ex-fiance. With the arrival of Jim, a good friend of both Lexi’s mother, ...more
Karen Boone
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book transported me to a much warmer place which was definitely needed and appreciated during this awful week of continuous snow in the DC area. As I was reading, I felt like I was actually in Cape Cod during the middle of summer; eating at local restaurants, enjoying the beach and warm weather, and experiencing the beauty of the Moss home.

The book centers on Lexi, a Cape native who has just returned home from London after two years of studying photography. Lexi is a local girl who about 10
Linda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently received a free copy of The Guest House from the author, Erika Marks, through a Fresh Fiction contest. I had never read any books by this author, but I was intrigued by the synopsis. I absolutely loved this book! The setting is Harrisport, Massachusetts. When wealthy summer wash-ashore Tucker Moss breaks the heart of local girl Edie Wright, a war between the two families lasts for years. Edie's daughter, Lexi, falls in love with Tucker's son, Hudson. Her heart is broken, as well. Elev ...more
Christy
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, goodreads-arc
I won this book off of ARC Goodreads giveaway. Thanks.

Lexi was suppose to marry Hudson. He breaks of the engagement and then comes Cooper to the rescue. Cooper comes to town 11 years later to sell the old family house. Hiring Lexi as the photographer.

I highly recommend this book.I enjoyed this book very much. It was a quick read. You get to read all about past loves and new beginings. I so liked Cooper. Hopefully he is strong enough to fight for what he wants. Romance and a couple of lies from
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was probably a 3.5 for me (I wish Goodreads had half stars.) I purchased it while on vacation and it was really a perfect vacation read. We weren't at the ocean, but while reading this book I was in Cape Cod. There were a couple of editing/proofreading errors. In one case, two characters were supposed to meet at 3:00 PM and mention was made of the soft evening air. At 3:00 in the summer? The story's perspective switched back and forth between 1966 and the present, with flashbacks to el ...more
Bernie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Erika Marks' The Guest House. Loved the beach setting on Cape Cod and the contrast between the people who lived there year round and the summer people. These two segments of society meet but rarely mingle; if they do, there's trouble for both sides. Lexi repeats a love triangle that her mother experienced in the sixties.Members of the Moss family (summer people) fall in love with natives like Lexi and her mom, Edie. Only this time, the results are different.
Bonnie Vause
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Erika Marks is one of my favorite authors and I love the fact she is from NC ! My home state. The Guest House was a good read choice of mine, enjoyed the plot, page turner, romance, chick-lit.
Dr. Bonnie Vause, Ed.D. Author of Fast Escape
Alyssa
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A fast, enjoyable poolside read. The characters weren't as fleshed out as they could have been, and the plot was predictable, but it was still a nice summer read, and the details of Cape Cod - a place I've been several times - helped make the story a bit more vivid.
Joann
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book. Once I started it, I realized it was more of the summer kind of reads that I'm getting tired of. I knew how this book was going to end. It's well written and a good quick read about love in Cape Cod.
Michele Peterson
Nice easy read and I'm hooked on romantic stories

Nice easy read and I'm hooked on romantic stories

I really enjoyed this story. it's a nice essay read with romance. I recommend it f
to all those who like romantic stories
Lora
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by this author and it was really great. I love the photography that is discussed and the way the author describes it you can just "see" the pictures she is taking in the book. A great read.
Anita
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasure to read this book from Erika Marks. I loved the stories from 1966 to present day, I felt the love stories were vastly different but so well told. The imagery is beautiful, I felt like I was along the NE coast.
A great book to escape with and just enjoy.
Shalyce
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book - kind of a fluffy read, thus not a higher rating. Follows the story of a few characters, so none of the stories are particularly deep. Still, I stayed up late into the night to finish it, so the entertainment value is there. PG13.
The Book Travelers: August 2015 -- The Guest House, by Erika Marks 1 3 Aug 24, 2015 05:10PM
  • The Wishing Tree (Sunset Beach #3)
  • Lake Como
  • Beach Colors
  • Blue Jeans and Coffee Beans
  • The Family Beach House
  • Time Flies
  • The Wishing Hill
  • Leaving Haven
  • Keeping Secrets in Seattle (Secrets, #1)
  • A Certain Summer
  • A Place for Us
  • The Lake House
  • Finding Mr. Rochester
  • Fated
  • And Then I Found You
  • Nannyland
  • The Good Daughter (A Brennan Sisters, #2)
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
Hello, fellow reader! I am the NAL author of women's fiction set by the sea. My fifth novel, THE LAST TREASURE, follows the love triangle between three treasure hunters searching for a mysterious shipwreck on the Outer Banks, and comes ashore on August 2, 2016. I love meeting with book clubs via Skype--so stop by my website to learn how we can set up a chat!
More about Erika Marks

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be