Start by marking “The Ecopoetry Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Ecopoetry Anthology

The Ecopoetry Anthology

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Definitive and daring, The Ecopoetry Anthology is the authoritative collection of contemporary American poetry about nature and the environment--in all its glory and challenge. From praise to lament, the work covers the range of human response to an increasingly complex and often disturbing natural world and inquires of our human place in a vastness beyond the human.

To e
Published February 26th 2013 by Trinity University Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Ecopoetry Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ecopoetry Anthology

Rand
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: language-based animals
Quite simply excellent.

The editors' preface more fully describes what ecopoetry is than this wikipedia article on the subject. In the general sense, ecopoetry is poetry which "addresses contemporary problems and issues in an ecocentric" way while "respecting the integrity of the other-than-human world". There is, of course, the caveat that prior to the casting of the first cog of industrialization, ALL poetry was ecopoetry. The term was not coined until sometime in the last twenty years, as a w
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I was required by the husband of the editor of this anthology to read it for one of his Lit classes in college. The course topic was Environmental Literature, so I assumed I knew what I was getting myself into. Poems and stories about the dying of oneself for the sake of a tree and such. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, aside from having to read and analyze Moby Dick, which I would not wish on my worst enemy, a great deal of the subject matter was not the idea that we al ...more
Storyheart
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of environmentally themed poems; my only complaint is that the self-proclaimed "definitive" collection wasn't international in scope. Surely an anthology about the global environment should include the voices of poets worldwide, not just those of American poets?
Michelle
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this on Goodreads and gave it as a gift to my sons teacher. She LOVED IT!!!
Heather Gibbons
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic anthology. I appreciate in particular the aesthetic range represented. There is a solid diversity of voices included here, though I think a future edition could be more inclusive and could include even more contemporary POC, indigenous and LGBTQ poets. Would be great to have an introductory essay written by a poet of color as well.
Anastasia Dotzauer
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful collection of diverse ecopoems. I particularly appreciate the inclusion of lesser-known poets.
Daniel
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Original review published in Looking For a Good Book. Rating: 3.5 stars

It's National Poetry Month (in the U.S. and Canada), so it seems as good a time as any to review this massive anthology.  Actually, I've been reading this book for almost a year, and just finished it recently.

I'm not a huge poetry fan, but I am a fan of ecology and enjoy most things that bring awareness to the beauty of our planet, so when I saw this title, I requested a review copy from the publisher.  Again...it's been almo
Michael
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
If there is a single most important topic of discussion in contemporary society, environmental responsibility is most likely at the top of the list. This well-researched collection showcases the fact that this has been an important literary subject for quite some time and the rich history of this narrative should be on the radar of those interested in such things.

Namely--the survival of our ecosystem and the implications found therein.

***
Mandy Haggith
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, nature
This is big, entirely American, but contains a lot of wonderful poetry, by poets both familiar and completely new. I now have a list as long as my arm of poets I would like to explore further, which is all I ask of an anthology.
D
  • Making Certain It Goes On: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo
  • The McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets
  • Future Primitive: The New Ecotopias
  • American Hybrid: A Norton Anthology of New Poetry
  • Reinventing the Enemy's Language: Contemporary Native Women's Writings of North America
  • Burn Lake
  • Animal Eye
  • The Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • Theories of Falling
  • St. Peter's B-List: Contemporary Poems Inspired by the Saints
  • The Spine of the Continent: The Most Ambitious Wildlife Conservation Project Ever Undertaken
  • Ecodeviance: (Soma)tics for the Future Wilderness