Start by marking “No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden” as Want to Read:
No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden

No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  46,537 ratings  ·  3,962 reviews
From the streets of Iraq to the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips in the Indian Ocean, and from the mountaintops of Afghanistan to the third floor of Osama Bin Laden's compound, operator Mark Owen of the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group--commonly known as SEAL Team Six--has been a part of some of the most memorable special operations in history, as well as cou ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about No Easy Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Easy Day

·  46,537 ratings  ·  3,962 reviews

Start your review of No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
Auntee
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of memoirs, current events, or even romance readers who enjoy reading about military heroes
Every now and then I like to take a break from reading romance, and since I do enjoy a good military romance, I thought I'd be interested in getting the low-down from a real military hero. No Easy Day is an autobiography/memoir from retired Navy SEAL Mark Owen (his alias) that largely deals with the operation to capture/kill Osama Bin Laden.

The author (in disguise) being interviewed on "60 Minutes"...
markowen1

The book was always interesting, and it grabs you from the first chapters as members of SEAL
Roger
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
A quick, unimpressive read from a literary point of view. Nearly half the book covers events loosely or not related to the Usama bin Laden (UBL) mission.

If all you want is the account of the preparation for and execution of the raid on Bin Laden's compound, you can start roughly halfway through the book and not miss anything specifically pertinent. The narrative with regard to the raid that killed UBL, as a first-hand account of the events is enlightening in its contradictions to some of the ma
Remittance Girl
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Navy Seal Buffs, People who Hate Obama
This is a review of the book, not of the author

I feel I have to title my review this way because although I'm very glad this event happened, and I have boundless admiration for the people who participated in the raid, including the author, I can't honestly say it was a great book.

To be fair to 'Mark Owen', his ghostwriter, Kevin Maurer, does bear some responsibility for taking a tired, pseudo-action-thriller approach to the story. The first half of the book is a very mediocre, dramatized 'monta
Jeffrey Emanuel
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
FEW BOOKS HAVE generated as much buzz in as short a time as No Easy Day by Mark Owen,* a former Navy SEAL who participated in the mission that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. While media have understandably focused on the bin Laden narrative, and the differences between it and the Obama administration's story of the raid, it's important to note something about this book at the outset: While Operation Neptune Spear (ONS), the bin Laden mission, is the hook (and a singularly effective one ...more
Robert Kloosterhuis
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many may disagree with this book being written, with Matt Bissonnette breaking his oath of secrecy as a Seal and a member of the US Armed Forces. I am in no doubt that he has indeed done so. He has publicly stated, and does so in the book, that his reasons are first and foremost that he felt such an important mission should be documented and in the public domain. He knew he would catch a lot of flack for it. He decided to sacrifice his own honor for the public good - the good of reminding all of ...more
James Tivendale
"The only easy day was yesterday. Long live the brotherhood"

This book is written by Navy SEAL Mark Owen with assistance provided by Kevin Maurer. The action discussed is describing what is arguably one of the most influential events of the 21st century. The plan to find and assassinate the Western world's most despised real life tyrant: Osama Bin Laden!

The book is written in three sections. Mark's youth as a navy SEAL working his way through BUD/S training and then his process joining the elite
W
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: war
It was one of those moments when you remember where you were and what you were doing,even many years after it happened.

And it happened in Abbottabad,Pakistan,not far from where I lived at the time.I had visited Abbottabad (named after a British colonial official) and was enchanted by its picturesque,hilly setting and serene atmosphere.

But that was a long time back in the 1990s.Now,it must be crowded,bursting at the seams like most Pakistani towns are.

Osama Bin Laden also thought that it would be
Matt
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I always enjoy a good book that shows some of the behind the scenes as they relate to historical or political events. In this book, the author known as Mark Owen paints a good picture of the life of a Navy SEAL that culminates in the killing of Osama Bin Laden. The lead-up to its release surely pushed it to the top of the best seller's list, which is solely the fault of the DOD and the Pentagon. Let them have their freak out session and quit their bitching! It seems as though some within the US ...more
Samantha
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think this is an important book that needs to be read, the same way the Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell needs to be read. With that said, it started off a little rough for me. I felt like I was in a debriefing room, very cold and no depth. That changed at the 40% mark and his personality came through. I also think you can't say or type this isn't political. It's all political no matter the party in the White House.

I read this book not so much to read the 'facts' about the mission, I wanted to
Rhianna
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I Know the controversy. I've also been on the fence about whether I wanted to read it, but curiosity won. What can I say? It was a short fence.

I was captivated by the story and didn't want to put it down. In fact, I had just made it to the point where they were about to hit the third floor of the compound when the pilot mentioned we were beginning our final descent and all electronic devices needed to be turned off. NOOOOOoOoOOoOoOoOoOo! Did I mention it was a three hour flight? Yeah. Captivate
Kate August
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After finishing the book, I can honestly say that there was nothing revealed in this book, that I haven't already seen on the History channel a dozen times. The person who revealed the details to the mission, was our own President and his band of merry minions. I know the SEALs have a code about not discussing their work, but I'm curious as to what the expiration date on that silence is. Many SEALs have told their stories in books and never garnered such negative reactions.
The book is very inter
Mary
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok

I had mixed feelings about purchasing and reading this book. I saw ‘Mark’ interviewed, but I wanted to see why a Seal would write a book about a Seal mission. I thought there was a code among the Seals, so I googled and found this sentence included in the Seals code: “I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions.” My concern was about a Seal writing about a Seal mission.

But . . . I a
jv poore
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The author tells his story quietly, in a strong, soft voice. He is humble, while maintaining confidence in his training, ability and team. His voice sounds too wise for years, but there is no wonder why.

I found this to be well-told and peppered with unexpected observations, such as exploding bombs looking similar to a Bloomin' Onion or comparing attacks to pickup basketball: shove, move, communicate.

There were tiny little nuggets that made me angry; such as the 2011 political CYA movement that
Mitch
Sep 04, 2012 added it
So I saw someone reading this on the train the other day, and we ended up talking about it, and the whole conversation reminded me I never did write a review for No Easy Day. D'oh! Well here it is. As always, I don't rate nonfiction, but in this case it's a cop out as much as my personal policy because I wholeheartedly agree with the criticisms of the book, but I also believe Mark Owen wrote this exactly the way he intended to, and in a way, it's like how do you criticize someone for writing exa ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is an excellent, informative book. The author makes it a point to tell us that it's not about him alone but about and dedicated to all the Special Ops men and women in the U.S. armed forces. The book bears that out.

From a back story that gives us a look at this specific SEAL's life the book leads us to the raid that brought about the end of the search for Osama Bin Laden.

I don't think you'll have much trouble reading this one. The story is an interesting one it draws you into the life of
Marti Garlett
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm conflicted about this book. It was a fascinating book. I read it in a day. It was also a disturbing book. It's not just about the killing of Osama bin Laden, though that is written in graphic detail, way more than was necessary I thought but at least we know now why no pictures were released. It's really an autobiography of the author's decade as a SEAL. He capitalizes on the Bin Laden raid by using it in his title. There's a bit of arrogance that comes through, particularly in the epilogue. ...more
L.A. Starks
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Many will have already seen the movie but this book, from a member of the SEAL team that killed Osama Bin Laden is well worth the read for lessons about persistence, planning, teamwork, and operations. Highly recommended, especially for Orion and Action/Adventure groups.
Amy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel guilty giving this book only three stars so let's be clear here: it is on me. This book was just not my cup of tea. But this wasn't a bad book and you should mentally bump it up to four or even five stars and give it a read if you like military memoir stuff.

First, if I read this book a decade ago, I think I would have seriously enjoyed it. And even now, I could easily envision the intended audience and in some respects appreciate it for their sake. The author sets it up well when describi
Dave Schultz
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, history
very good read....the chapters about the raid on bin laden are off the charts. highly recommend
Lindsay
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“The only easy day was yesterday” – Navy SEAL motto

My father was in the Navy, and even though I knew the military influenced my home life, it wasn’t until reading this book that it became blaringly obvious just how much. My father left the military before I was born so I was a military brat without the military. Certain sayings and actions were common in my household and while I knew they came from the father, and from the Navy, I hadn’t stopped to really think about it before.

As a former histo
Morgan McGuire
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting. It is both short and hard to put down, which was an excellent choice on the part of the authors. While not great, the writing style is just passable enough to not get in the way too often (although I didn't really need to be told seven times that SEALs wear 60 lbs of gear--once was enough). But this is a book that you read because it is topical, historical, and eye opening, not because of the writing quality.

The book is also well structured to give as detailed an
Neil Hepworth
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is a mess.

First, though, like several other reviewers, I feel the need to point out that I’m reviewing the book, not the events nor the soldier.

I completely understand why this book was published. Just think of the editor who saw the notes for this book cross his desk: the personal memoir of a Navy SEAL who was literally in the room with Osama bin Laden’s freshly bullet-riddled body. I’m sure this book is gold. And yet, it is a fool’s gold, for nothing of substance exists in these page
Kelly
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned some really interesting things in this book...it covers the mission to kill Bin Laden in depth during the last third of the book. The first 2/3rds was good, I've just read many books detailing the same kind of training and missions. I'm still amazed at what these guys can pull off and the heroism they consistently embrace in the way they live their lives. Some funny things about dealing with the White House before and after the raid. At the end he says "Don't just live, but live for a ...more
Igor Ljubuncic
Wow, a fantastic book, way beyond my expectations.

I completed this book in two sittings, gulping down page after page of excellent combat action, crazy army stories, and riveting special forces day-in-life stuff.

This book is about Operation Neptune Spear, the mission to kill Usama Bin Laden (UBL), based on the decade-long intelligence work, which placed his whereabouts to a secluded house in Abbottabad, in Pakistan, close to the Pakistani Military Academy.

The book could have easily been a boring
Bonnie E.
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
No Easy Day is no great book. But it does provide a first hand account of a mission which many of us would consider heroic and extremely dangerous and absolutely necessary. The dissonance created in reading this book is due to the incredible nature of the story in contrast to the dull writing style in which it is presented. But the story won out for me and I read the book in one sitting.

Much of the book is devoted to the author's accounts of his grueling training as a Navy SEAL, which does provi
Samrat
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a bit of a letdown. It gives an insight into the life of a Navy SEAL and only a broad overview of the actual mission, which incidentally, happens to be the title of the book. Only a small portion of the book actually deals with the mission. After reading it, I feel that an account of the CIA Analyst who tracked Bin Laden down would make a more interesting read.
Bettie
Sep 10, 2012 marked it as off-tbr-and-into-wpb
unabridged (approx. 7hrs)

by: Mark Owen
with: Kevin Maurer
read by: Holter Graham

blurb - For the first time anywhere, the first-person account of the planning and execution of the Bin Laden raid from a Navy Seal who confronted the terrorist mastermind and witnessed his final moments.

From the streets of Iraq to the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips in the Indian Ocean, and from the mountaintops of Afghanistan to the third floor of Osama bin Laden's compound, operator Mark Owen of the U.S. Naval Spe
DAISY DISNEY
It was interesting to read how Osama Bin Laden reacted the last moments of his life. What a coward he was. I think I expected to be more intrigued by the story of what happened that day. Overall I did enjoy reading this Seal's story and his background on how he became a Navy Seal. Being a Navy Wife has made me appreciate out military personnel more and the sacrifices that they and their families make. God bless all of our military men & women & God bless America. ...more
Diane
A good account of the military raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The opening chapters cover the author's training and some other operations, but the best part of the book is the 100+ pages detailing the OBL mission.

Owen ends the book with some good advice: "Don't just live, but live for a purpose bigger than yourself. Be an asset to your family, community and country."
Bruce
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
loved this book. couldn't hardly put it down.

If you've read and liked any of the Green Team books by Richard Marcinko, I'd highly recommend this one too.
Mrs. Ryan's 6th P...: no easy day 1 3 Dec 04, 2019 10:37AM
Mrs. Ryan's 3rd P...: Summary 1 6 Dec 03, 2019 09:25PM
How to reconcile bank statements in QuickBooks online? 1 1 May 30, 2019 10:06PM
Need Help to Withdraw fund in Binance? 1 4 Jul 05, 2018 06:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 1 9 May 16, 2017 07:13AM

• Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
  • American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
  • SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper
  • Fearless: The Heroic Story of One Navy SEAL's Sacrifice in the Hunt for Osama Bin Laden and the Unwavering Devotion of the Woman Who Loved Him
  • Service: A Navy SEAL at War
  • 13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • The Operator: Firing the Shots that Killed Osama bin Laden and My Years as a SEAL Team Warrior
  • Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
  • Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Rogue Warrior (Rogue Warrior, #1)
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • The Last Punisher: A SEAL Team Three Sniper's True Account of the Battle of Ramadi
  • Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • Service - Free Preview: A Navy SEAL at War
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
Mark Owen is the pseudonym of a former Navy SEAL.

News & Interviews

“There is no honor in sending men to die for something you won't even fight for yourself” 16 likes
“Don't just live, but live for a purpose bigger than yourself. Be an asset to your family, community, and country.” 10 likes