Start by marking “Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages” as Want to Read:
Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages

Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages

Blockbuster author Dean Koontz’s visually stunning story about a magical band of living toys who learn to overcome the fears we all face in the dark.

Toymaker Isaac Bodkins created the Oddkins, a group of living toys, for very special children who face difficulties in life and need true friends. There’s Amos, the brave stuffed bear; Skippy, the rabbit who dreams of being
Published September 4th 2012 by Mel Parker Books (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Oddkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oddkins

Keith
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book as a pre-teen I thought it might have perhaps been not just the best book ever, but the best THING ever. I was totally obsessed with it, thought it needed to be a movie, and went about choosing songs for the soundtrack.

As an adult, I've looked at it again and realized that of course, the thing it has going against it is that it's written by Dean Koontz. Dean Koontz is the sort of embarrassing hack that lends a certain stigma to his ...um...I guess you'd call it "work"
Kim Kaso
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book with great affection. We moved from England to Northern California, had almost no furniture when we moved in. I think we got new beds for the kids, and I was sleeping on a new pull-out couch. My husband was away @ XO school prior to taking his job, and the kids and I were camping out until our furniture arrived. We did not have a tv or anything else, and so after dinner we would play cards and then I would read a chapter of this by the fire in the living room. The kids were ...more
Books
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book for readers of all ages, especially those young enough not to be afraid of the proverbial monsters under the bed! As a huge fan of Koontz’s novels for adults, I was highly surprised to find he wrote a book for kids as young as middle grade, but also a story that can be enjoyed by his most hardcore adult fans. In true Koontz fashion, the story is filled with shockingly evil characters, but well-balanced by good and absolutely adorable characters, as well as a few subtle lessons ...more
Karen B.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-books
Oddkins: a Fable for All Ages --- I enjoyed this fable immensely. First, I commend the narrator of the audible book who did a wonderful job with all of the different voices. To read this only as a children's book would be a shame. For me Oddkins rates up there with The Velveteen Rabbit and The Little Prince in the underlying message about doing the right thing. One of my favorite parts was where Koontz paraphrases one of my favorite quotes when he says that to avoid evil one can't just be good, ...more
Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages is written by Dean Koontz and illustrated by Phil Parks. This is a beautiful tale and Parks' illustrations are gorgeous. This fable begins with the kindly toymaker passing away and his wonderful toys -- Oddkins -- setting out on an adventure across the city in search of the new toymaker's shop, pursued by evil toys (from a previous maker).

I think we all had a toy that was magical for us, as children, and the Oddkins seem a natural extension of this idea -- created
Rebecca
I had hoped that Oddkins would be a fun Halloween read for my children. I was sad to find that it did not hold their attention at all. I ended up reading Oddkins on my own. Even though there is a definite creep factor in Oddkins I found the story lacking... I just didn't have an interest in what was going to happen next. The illustrations are a redeeming factor in this story, I more than once skipped ahead to see the pictures.
Alexandra
1/25/18 $.99 for Kindle.
Claire
Take the not-so-subtle Christian themes of Narnia, mix it with a dash of Small Soldiers, season it with the overall aesthetic of a creepy 80s kids movie, have Phil Parks illustrate it, and you get Oddkins.

Overall, not a bad concoction. The only problem for me was Dean Koontz's writing. This was my first time reading Koontz, and I noticed that he did a lot of 'telling' rather than 'showing'. For example, instead of showing us readers a scene of Amos the teddy bear looking mournfully at the now d
Suzanne
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Dean Koontz's fable is what would happen if "Toy Story" met The Velveteen Rabbit. When toymaker Isaac Bodkins dies, the magical toys he has created must make a dangerous journey to find the new toymaker that will take his place. The person they are looking for is Colleen Shannon, a toymaker who can accept her role and continue the work of making magical toys to help children. But there are dark forces at work to prevent Colleen from becoming the next owner of Isaac's factory. Evil toys trapped i ...more
Todd Russell
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Did you know in 1988 Dean Koontz wrote a children's story? Ok, it's billed as a 'fable for all ages' but it's clearly aimed at the younger generation. Think Toy Story meets Small Soldiers meets something Tim Burton might have noodled around a bit on at breakfast and you have Oddkins. Ivan Bodkin is a magical toymaker who dies and leaves his merry band of talking, walking toys to fend for themselves against the bad toys in the basement (subfloor? sub-something?), led by a marionette with an attit ...more
Rissy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-r-koontz
Denise
Solid 3.5 stars

I love children's books with a creep factor. They were some of my favorites growing up. Now,I have a child that lives for scary stories, but they aren't always easy to find for his reading/age level. This book will definitely fit the bill. Great illustrations (but not too many of them) and a well-written good vs. evil plot. The "good" characters were adorable and brave. The "bad" characters were nastier than I expected. The jack-in-the-box made me temporarily afraid of clowns (it'
Gloria Teague
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh

Ah Dean Koontz, I love you. Just when I thought I couldn't admire your work more, I discovered the Oddkins. Thank you!
Fred
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Simple theme. Uncle Isacc Bokins makes good stuffed "living" toys to protect and make children happy. Uncle Isacc Bokins will die soon and tells his 6 "Oddkins" (Bokins name, change leading B to O and add D before K) to escape to Colleen Shannon's Wondersmith good toy store. They must get by Evil Charon toys, who are trying to prevent "Oddkins" to escape. (illustrations in the book by Phil Parks are great)
Jennifer Medlin
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember my father reading this to me as a child. I could hardly wait for the next night to hurry and come to hear the upcoming chapter. It made me laugh, cry and be afraid of the dolls under my bed...
It is one of the greatest memeories of my childhood and almost impossible to find but if you get the chance never pass up reading it. I think it will steal your heart too.
Lauren
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book when my 5th grade teacher introduced it to us, so much that I waited in a long line of people wanting to read this book. When I found out that it was no longer being published, I became even more determined to read it. Highly recommended!
Melanie Jackson
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oddkins is one of my favorite-- and quirkiest-- Christmas reads and shows Koontz diversity as a writer. Looking for a fun holiday read to share with children over five? This will fit the bill.
Kim
I read the Kindle version.

Pros: I liked the detailed color illustrations and the idea of magical toys.
Cons: I didn't find the classic good versus evil theme very interesting and the dialog was kind of dumb most of the time. Plus, the book provides incorrect information about elephant behavior.

I am not sure what the target age group is supposed to be for this book. The title indicates "a fable for all ages", but the story is written in a way that would really only appeal to kids in grade school.
Denise
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I adored this book. I read it aloud in my head ... if you know what I mean. The "living" toys all have distinct and quirky personalities. (Although I did have to write a little cheat sheet since I couldn't keep the names straight.) Since I work at an elementary school I kept reading (in my head) like I would read aloud to a classroom full of kiddos.

So, the original toy-maker comes to the end of his life and informs his "living toys" what is happening and what to expect next. Of course there are
Katherine Adams
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

What an imaginative story; I enjoyed it very much. And although there was some darkness within the story it was somewhat a departure from the majority of Koontz’s work. I loved taking the journey with the Oddkins as they sought to find the new toy maker. I enjoyed coming along with them as they traversed unknown land and overcame obstacles. I loved that they stayed true to themselves and to one another. I loved all of their different personalities and little quirks. And the illustrati
Katherine
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical toys

Dean Koontz surprised me with a story about magical toys, in a battle with evil to find the new toy maker. The story has Koontz’s own magical touch with his characters, funny and empathetic, or horrible when they are bad. His toys live almost more than the few human characters. It is an epic adventure on a small scale. The Kindle version I read also had perfect illustrations.
Carol
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I’d loved it

I wanted to love it. Maybe if I’d had children to read it to...or maybe if I was a youngster, I’d have loved it more. Maybe I expected too much from it.
Another reviewer compared it unfavorably to C S Lewis’s Narnia books. I have to agree. C S Lewis is THE gold standard for that genre. I can re-read those cheerfully.
I loved the photos and captions at the end. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors. It was fun to see the family photos.
Giselle Martinez
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not come across this book younger. As an adult I enjoyed it or maybe it was my inner child that enjoyed it. There are lessons to be learned and it's a good vs evil kind of book. As I read it, I couldn't help thinking about movies of the past. It felt like Toy Story joined forces with Small Soldiers vs Puppet Master. It was a quick, easy read filled with food for thought and implied observations of the human condition and of course the forces of good and evil.
Sarah B
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice story about friendship and never giving up. The end made me a bit misty eyed but in a good way. It's about a bunch of toys that are alive, a group of good ones versus bad ones. They go on an adventure to find the new toymaker. The illustrations in the book are pretty.

I did find the personality of some of the good toys annoying. And for some odd reason I think I liked the bad bee the most?
Nanci L.
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a wonderfully warm, but highly exciting tale about a group of 'living' toys that are left bereft after their toy maker dies. It's got much to do with love, strong friendships, caring and great loyalty. Their struggles are many but as you will see, they perservere. This is a great read for all ages.
Heather
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What an interesting little book. The Oddkins are adorable and the Charon toys are quite frightening and vicious. There are a few life lessons as a fable usually has.
I had originally thought that I would read this with my 7 year old granddaughter but I think that I had better wait. The evil toys are frightening.
I enjoyed the Biography with photos
Craig
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A table for all ages, well maybe PG13

This story was published in 1988, a story of magic toys both good and evil with action and suspense to please even an old coot like me. May be a bit scary for really young kids but a good read with many life lessons for young and young at heart.
Donna Love
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet an Exciting!

This book is clearly written so as not to cause nightmares in its portrayal of evil forces at work. Highly recommended for ages 10-110. It is a touching adventure about love and friendship winning its battle with dark forces with a bit of magic thrown in, delightfully Koontz style.
Niffer
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I struggled through about 60 pages of this book and just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't get into the story. It felt very predictable and the characters were so two dimensional I felt no investment in the outcome of the story. I finally just put it down.

Giving it two stars because the illustrations were phenomenal. Wish there had been more!
Margaret MacDonald
Loved it

This is the first book of this sort that I have read of Dean Kontz. I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize he wrote a series about his dog Trixie either. I am going to look into that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Surrounded (Mike Tucker, #2)
  • Demon Child
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • The Eyes of Darkness
  • Magick Rising
  • Predators
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • The Pagemaster
  • Whisper (Lakeview, #2)
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
“The only way we'll be saved is if we save ourselves. Good people can't triumph over bad people just by being good; they have to act.” 11 likes