Start by marking “Zombies of Byzantium” as Want to Read:
Zombies of Byzantium

Zombies of Byzantium

The dead have been alive for centuries!

It’s the 8th century A.D., and the Byzantine Empire has got problems. A ruthless schemer has just overthrown the emperor and taken the crown for himself. The Saracen army is attacking Constantinople. Only one thing could make these problems look petty by comparison: an invasion of undead, flesh-eating zombies.

One young monk has witnes
Published February 4th 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zombies of Byzantium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies of Byzantium

Start your review of Zombies of Byzantium
Matthew Baker
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoy historical fiction in its regular form (PILLARS OF THE EARTH by Ken Follett is one of my favorite books of all time), but ZOMBIES OF BYZANTIUM combines that genre with my favorite horror subject, the living dead. The result is a fun and entertaining jaunt back in time that will leave you wondering if history was written correctly.

As I mentioned, I like historical fiction, especially when it is written around this time period. Something about the rawness of the world back then really dra
Rabid Readers Reviews
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Munger’s plotting and pacing were extremely well thought out. First he engages us with the characters, eases us into the concept and then engages us with additional key characters. None of the characters have seen zombies before or heard the lore so within the context of the storyline, that terminology is never used.

The setting of the story is the ancient world but Munger gives us a very relatable feel to today within the dialogue. He uses actual historical facts with the idea that the winners w
Meaghan
I must say, this was quite the page-turner. If you don't mind that all the characters from the Middle Ages think and talk like characters from the 21st century, you're in for a rollicking ride. A word to the wise, though: although there is definite suspense here, the terror side of the story really isn't there. This book is much more funny than it is scary.

(A word to the wise: the author is a friend of mine, and he gave me the book. But it was just a gift and he didn't ask me to review it, favor
Ming
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It gave a plausible story with a clear explanation of why zombies are not read about in history.
Greg Schell
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. A bit cliche in parts, but overall well written.
Gabrielle
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
The priests pray in Latin, despite being part of the Greek Orthodox Church. People are referred to as Byzantines, despite that being an external moniker from a later period. People talk about court marshals in the army. The empress attempts to seduce the monk protagonist.

The idea is cool, and the story is relatively well structured, but the language is forced and anachronistic in an unbearable manner. I gave up on this book half way through.
Zachary
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I know only so much can be expected of such a novel, but the premise, zombies being used during the eighth century Islamic siege of Constantinople in the time of Leo III, has potential. However, the execution is not very good here. It simply doesn't feel like it is really set in the Byzantine empire. The language is completely incorrect and far too modern. Moreover, there are many anachronisms that pulled me right out of the story. The Byzantines never called their empire the "Byzantine Empire"; ...more
Holden Attradies
Alternative history and zombies, what's not to like? The book was a real pager turner, although the story did kind of run out of the steam the last couple of chapters. Beyond that my only real complaint was that the point of view character felt a little too modern, almost as if the story had originally been written as the main character being a time traveler from modern times, but that that aspect of the story was dropped at one time but his dialog all pretty much left the same. ...more
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
I read the review of this book in the Manhattan Kansas Mercury and had to read it myself. I am a fan of historical fiction so any connection to the Byzantine Empire intrigues me. This is, of course, part of our fascination with zombies. It is a good, fast read and should make you grin. I hope there are more to come.
Paul
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read. It's great to have a story like this set in 8th century Byzantium. The style is light and fast-paced, but the use of modern language and terms is jarring. I was also prepared to overlook the inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies in the name of entertainment. ...more
Heather Lara-anne
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
had a seriously hard time getting past the 20th century language and culture of a book set in the 8th century. Felt like it was written to be an action movie not a book.
Phil Wardlow
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Just a fun read. Keep in mind the dialog is modern day, not 9th century dialog. I think the modern dialog made it an easier read for me.
David
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
a fun little romp through medieval Byzantine history.
Susan Outlaw
Okay, so I didn't finish it. I returned the book as it was due back and forgot all about it. ...more
James Mullins
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well researched story set in the 8th Century. Author did a good job of showing the historical adaptability of Byzantium to situations even supernatural ones such as zombies!
Nicole Bayless
Dec 06, 2014
Kostas Kalogeropoulos
Dec 09, 2014
Luk.gib
rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2017
Dan
Feb 06, 2018
Warren Grohe
Dec 30, 2016
Chris
Aug 06, 2015

• Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • Tarzan the Invincible (Tarzan, #14)
  • Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism (Revised Edition)
  • State of Fear
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Private Lives
  • Prey
  • Presumed Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller #1)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Death of a Salesman
  • Rising Sun
  • Lady Windermere's Fan
  • If I Ran the Zoo
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
  • A Streetcar Named Desire
  • The Call of Cthulhu
Sean Munger is the author of several novels in various genres, including the horror novels Zombies of Byzantium, Doppelgänger, The Rats of Midnight and Zombie Rebellion, the science fiction novels The Valley of Forever, Life Without Giamotti and its sequels, and the historical fiction books Romantic, Memoirs of a Great Liner and Beowulf is Boring. He also has short fiction available in collections ...more