Start by marking “The Everyday Parenting Toolkit: The Kazdin Method for Easy, Step-by-Step, Lasting Change for You and Your Child” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Some of us are just naturals when it comes to parenting. But the rest of us wish that parenting came with operating instructions.

Now it does. The result of thirty years of scientific research, Alan Kazdin’s The Everyday Parenting Toolkit will guide you through every developmental stage—from toddler to teenager—and make you a more relaxed, confident, and competent parent.
Published June 11th 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Everyday Parenting Toolkit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everyday Parenting Toolkit

Valentina
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best parenting book I've ever read. And I've read a lot. Ok, I've started a lot. Generally, I just check parenting books out from the library when I'm feeling frustrated, so I can have a good wallow reading about all of the things I'm doing wrong. Once the fun of wallowing wears off, usually about halfway through the book, I turn my anger from myself onto the author, who is usually a smug a-hole. Rinse, lather, repeat over the course of six years and two kids. Twisted fun, but not overly ins ...more
Nathan Schwartz
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting. In my mind there are two approaches to parenting advocated by parenting books. One is to treat kids like adults or peers (e.g. How to Talk So Kids will Listen) the other is to treat kids like kids (e.g. Have a New Kid by Friday). This is definitely of the latter, behavior modification, school. It was particularly interesting because, unlike pretty much all parenting books, it is actually science based.
Lucas
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mohammed Al Zahrani
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I highly recommend this book to all parents or teachers who interact with kids. Personally this book have helped me understand my son and figure out what's effective in order to save both of us some time and effort!
Ben Wong
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive list of tactics and techniques to get your child to behave. A must read for every parent and parent to be
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
My standard disclaimer for parenting books definitely applies here -- no one has a formula that will work for every child in every situation. Once you accept that, parenting books become a helpful bunch of suggestions to try and many of them contain the same information that you find in the other thousands of parenting books out there. This one is no different.

The Kazdin method centers around his ABCs. A is for Antecedents -- setting yourself up to get the behavior you want. Generally speaking,
Marissa
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
This is a really informative parenting how-to from the director of the Yale Parenting Center. Based on years of evidence-based research (a rarity for a parenting book), Dr. Kazdin explains his basic parenting tool, "the ABCs" -- antecedents, behavior, and consequences. Then he works through each of these concepts and finally gives worked examples of how the entire system can operate on a particular problem behavior.

I'm a sucker for science and I like reading about parenting solutions, so this wa
Barb Moore
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
Behaviorism-based parenting methods, with plenty of real-life examples to help parents use the methods at home. As with all parenting methods, effectiveness depends on consistency and correct implementation, but this method is research based and allows an affectionate, positive approach while getting real and lasting results.
Rebecca
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Awesome, clearly written book with easy-to-understand methods for changing your child's behavior. Unlike most parenting books, this is research-based and gives concrete tools to employ every day. There are also not a lot of wasted words, which I appreciate--even the introduction was informative.
Julianne
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Evidence based parenting methods, gave me confidence in some things I felt in my gut, redirected other ideas, and I appreciated the philosophy and style. Call me in 18 years and I'll let you know if it actually worked.
Susan
Sep 16, 2013 added it
Nothing new here, but a good reminder of some useful ways to diffuse tense situations or prevent them in the first place.
Gina Stepp
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're tired of trying to find a parenting book with research-proven advice that makes sense and really works: stop searching the book stores now. This is the one you've been looking for.
Ehud
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some very good behavioral techniques which worked immediately when I implemented them. The writing is clear and engaging and the book isn't that long.
Kyle Pennekamp
Becky Carver
Nov 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Birth, Breath, and Death: Meditations on Motherhood, Chaplaincy, and Life as a Doula
  • Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Make--or Break--Your Child's Future
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • And Baby Makes Three: The Six-Step Plan for Preserving Marital Intimacy and Rekindling Romance After Baby Arrives
  • The Emotional Life of the Toddler
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad
  • The Stardust Revolution: The New Story of Our Origin in the Stars
  • My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism
  • Becoming a Technical Leader: An Organic Problem-Solving Approach
  • Equally Shared Parenting: Rewriting the Rules for a New Generation of Parents
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Oh Boy, You're Having a Girl: A Dad's Survival Guide to Raising Daughters
  • Book: A Futurist's Manifesto
Alan E. Kazdin, Ph.D., is the John M. Musser Professor of Psychology and Child Psychiatry at Yale University and Director of the Yale Parenting Center. His work on parenting and childrearing has been featured on NPR, PBS, the BBC, and he has appeared on the Today Show, Good Morning America, ABC News, 20/20, and Dr. Phil. He frequently lectures to parents, educators, and business groups interested ...more