Start by marking “Claudia Silver to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Claudia Silver to the Rescue

Claudia Silver to the Rescue

2.65  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In this gutsy debut novel, flawed but unsinkable Claudia Silver cuts a wide comic swath through 1990s New York City in her misguided attempts to find love and happiness.

Estranged from her bohemian Brooklyn family and fired for an impropriety at work, Claudia Silver is officially in over her head. When her younger sister lands on her doorstep urgently in need of help, twent
Published June 18th 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia Silver to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia Silver to the Rescue

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Future of Us by Jay AsherLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaSomeone Like You by Sarah DessenTime Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
YA set in the 1990s
58 books — 44 voters
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasCloud Atlas by David MitchellThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Clouds
104 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claudia Silver may be in her twenties, but she hasn’t left her teen years firmly behind. She has about as much sense as a love-struck fifteen-year-old left on the subway overnight and who might be prone to hallucinations on more than a few occasions. But I loved her anyway. That’s fucked up, right? Yeah, I thought so, too.

But like all teenage fantasies it wasn’t a perfect match, nor was it even a near perfect one. In fact, I abhorred her and loved her in nearly equal parts. There were occasions
Katie
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern, 2013
I heard that Lauren Graham recommended this book so I got it at the library. I was not a fan though. The main character is infuriating and does really stupid things, then randomly everything ends up well for her at the end of the book. It made no sense to me.

I will say, that I found the writing to be entertaining. The descriptions were good, I just hated the plot and actual story.
Carol
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Yeesh, what an unlikable character to build a book around. Just unethical to the point of loony tunes. The title, too, is very misleading. If anyone needs rescuing, it's Claudia Silver. There were a few brief moments of humorously perceptive writing which got me to give it two instead of one stars. Just a grab off of tne New Fiction shelf at the library. It will feel good to give it back.
Mark Flowers
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
ugh.
Mandie
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Meh.
Moniek Jaspers
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
'Claudia Silver to the Rescue' consists of three parts. For me, personally, it took a little while to get into the book and its characters (Maybe because I'm a Dutch girl reading and English book. Or Maybe because that's just the way the book was written).

Part one was mostly explaining the situation of the characters: where they were, what had happened to get them there... It was a lot of 'explanation' and I'm more a dialogue kind of girl, but arriving at part two, I was completely hooked. As p
Rachel
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish-fiction
I'm probably being too generous in giving this book four stars, and letting my biases about other reviews sway me. Claudia Silver gets a bad rap as a protagonist, because she's relatively shallow, self-absorbed and self-defeating. Really, to a degree, everyone in this novel is rather blasé, despite some serious subject matters, which makes Edith's turn-around in the final act a little eyebrow archy. Then again, sometimes it takes a jolt from a stranger to look at your life seriously.

This novel i
Amy
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
While this book has lots of clever dialogue, the book itself isn't all that clever.

We start out, very briefly, with Claudia about to leave college. She doesn't have a clue about what to do next and talks to her mother about coming home. She is told there's no room for her there and that she needs to make other plans, which surprises her. This is one of the things that I didn't like about this book. Claudia knows her mother and should have known that depending on her wasn't an option. Claudia is
David
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish, contemporary
My review appears in New York Journal of Books; my additional remarks are in an article that appeared in a different and now defunct publication, which begins with the next paragraph.

Jewish books: Claudia Silver to the Rescue targets Girls' viewers

Looking for a beach novel with Jewish characters and NYC flavor? Try Claudia Silver to the Rescue, the debut novel by television (Cold Case and Law & Order SVU) and magazine feature writer Kathy Ebel.

This is a book that appears to target the same a
Megan
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just really did not like this book, though I can't really put my finger on why. I think it just rubbed me the wrong way. Can a book do that? I really liked the title but I guess the old adage about judging a book by its cover should be extended to not judging it by its title too. Claudia was just a really unsypathetic character and I didn't find anything realistic about her. None of the characters rang true to me. I guess it seemed really stereotypical...she sleeps with the angry black man, is ...more
Kathryn Grimes
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I picked this up from the browsing shelf at the library based on the title and jacket copy, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Anyone who's floundered upon leaving college or during their twenties will be able to related to Claudia; the book is like a less provocative, equally poignant version of the TV show "Girls." Despite her college degree, Claudia is wholly unprepared for the practicalities of adult life and loses her first job out of school. Even so, she attempts to help her younger sister out of ...more
Angeles
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am having a difficult time coming up with a positive review, despite not hating the book. I love flawed character sqq nobody is perfect, and nobody should claim to be so.

The imperfections were not the issue. The issue was the lack of real consequence, the character's inability to deal with anything, and the way she was handed an entirely acceptable ending to this story without having to work for anything.

Must of us can relate to hardships, unexpected blessings, and avoidance. But the depth of
Jenny
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I'm torn on how to rate this one. On the one hand, I thought the writing was sharp and solid. On the other, I had very little sympathy or empathy for Claudia, who makes a colossally stupid decision pretty early on in the story that left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I picked this up because it had a Lauren Graham pull quote on the front, and it definitely had a similar feel and setting to Someday, Someday Maybe, but I just couldn't quite get over the Super Bad Choices that Claudia made. Still ...more
Pam Gary
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I genuinely liked Claudia from the start. She's the kind of gal a few years out of college, in her first job (which pretty much sucks), got fired from that first job (which was her fault due to a bad life choice), and now it looks like she's going to become guardian of her teen-age sister. But everything does come together in the end, but not without a lot of stumbling.

Author Kathy Ebel employs a wealth of humor in all the right places throughout the book. It's a story full of funny stuff; and i
Patty Corwin
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A good summer read. This story of a Brooklyn girl who, against gigantic odds, tries to make it in New York strays from the formulaic. The character of Claudia is streetwise and naive, trying to be adult but behaving more like a surly teen. Her younger sister Phoebe, beautiful and unaffected, struggles with abuse and sell-determination. Despite untraditional mishaps and errors of judgment, both come to terms with their foibles and reconcile with their pasts. An untraditional coming of age story.
lisa
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I started off really enjoying this book. For me the first half flew by, and then my attention kept wandering. (I did enjoy the Monie Love reference.) I stopped caring about what was going to happen, and just wanted the characters to figure themselves out, and the book to be over. I was mostly happy with the conclusion, although it wasn't the ending I felt I wanted. This might have worked better as a short story, instead of a full novel.
LeeAnn
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. However, I found the main character barely believable, and the secondary characters in her life were even less believable. The only thing keeping this book as a two-star instead of a one-star is its poignant ending. The reconciliation of the last 10 pages does quite a lot to make up for the boring reading that was the rest of the book. It really left me wishing the whole book had been as well-written as the ending.
Jfhirsch
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the book as a good summer read, at first, but then saw that it was more than light reading. Parts of it were funny, most of it was sad. It illustrates the fact that there is no such thing as a perfect life. It also redefines the word 'family'. I don't know if I would have chosen it if I had known more about it before reading, but it had some good parts, and some trite parts. I think the author made the ending a little too neat.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Fresh out of college, Claudia Silver is trying to make it in New York City in the 1990s. Estranged from her mother and by extension, her sister, Phoebe, Claudia's choices lead her into some difficult situations. But in trying to help Phoebe and get her life back on track, Claudia gains a better understanding of family. The character of Claudia is very flawed, but I think true to many young adults trying to find their way in life.
Caryn
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm not really sure anyone was rescued in the book, and if they were, it most definitely was not by Claudia Silver. She was nothing but a screw up with no endearing qualities what so ever. The only thing that got me through the book was her younger sister Pheobe. She was the only character that stood a chance.
Kia Kofron
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Can't even feel Meh about this one. "OK" is a bit optimistic. Felt nothing for Claudia. Her family seemed more bitter than bohemian to me. No great characterization of Phoebe. I understand the whole "just graduated angst" angle, but, this did nothing for me. Ending very unsatisfying. Title doesn't fit. Rescue? I think not.
Ellie
Oct 25, 2013 added it
This book was pure crap! Read it in one sitting; took about 3 hours because I was skipping entire paragraphs. Zero character development; although I'm not sure one of the characters was even worth developing. Picked it up based on the book jacket - will need to read reviews before wasting any more time on what amounted to really bad chick lit.
Mary
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
If I'd read the goodreads reviews before I checked this out from my local library, I wouldn't have bothered reading it. But I did, to the end. Some parts were kinda comical. Mostly it was a twisted tale of the Melting Pot of NYC life, how some people have to work harder than others to have less monetarily, and perfect families can be broken and broken families might be fixed
Wiebke Kuhn
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1990s, american
Not sure how I feel about this book -- the protagonist is not particularly likable, in spite of some of her good intentions; I found the attention to commercial details rather off-putting, but then this may be what New York in the 90s may have been like. But what bothered me most was the ending -- way too fairy tale, but if satire then not strong enough.
Katya Ksenjek
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Funny at times and definitely gripping- once I passed the mid-point I definitely couldn't wait to find out how the story ended.

However, I couldn't really connect with the character and didn't feel any sympathy for her. She made many no so smart decisions that I couldn't really understand.
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun, light read - very much in the vein of HBO's Girls or Jennifer Close's Girls In White Dresses. The ending was a bit of a letdown for me, as I found it wrapped itself up rather obviously, but it was still rather entertaining overall.
Wendy
May 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
A waste of my time. I don't like Claudia or her outlook on life.
Kathy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting and engaging book. Not profound or that literary but I did enjoy it.
Chrissy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, new-york
Kristen
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well, that was thoroughly horrible.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Good Kids
  • The Unknowns
  • These Days Are Ours
  • What Nora Knew
  • To My Assistant: Things I'll Never Do to You, But Many Other Crazy Bosses Will
  • The Luminous Heart of Jonah S.
  • Don't Let My Baby Do Rodeo
Kathy Ebel is a widely published essayist and poet and her screenwriting credits include Cold Case and Law & Order: SVU. A first-generation American and native New Yorker, Kathy studied literature and creative writing at Barnard College. She chronicles her quest for restored German citizenship in her blog: Fatherland: There's No Place Like Home, or, How and Why a Nice Jewish Girl Asked Germany ...more
More about Kathy Ebel...