Start by marking “Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?” as Want to Read:
Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?

Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?

Friends forever--or snack time?

In the deep ocean, tiny Nugget and big, toothy Fang get along swimmingly—until Nugget’s first day of minnow school. There Nugget learns that minnows are supposed to be afraid of sharks! To regain Nugget’s trust, Fang takes desperate (and hilarious) measures. But it’s not until his big sharp teeth save the entire school that minnows learn th
Published April 2nd 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 19th 2013)

Susan
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super funny story that includes themes of friendship, peer pressure, and not judging people by what others think. Great read aloud potential!

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you or order NUGGET and FANG: FRIENDS FOREVER--or SNACK TIME? on IndieBound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978054...
Barbara
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read aloud choice for younger kids. All about being friends and acceptance. This book would be a good lead in for a discussion of what it means to be a friend, and not judging people by their appearance, or their reputation.
Sandi
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is ADORABLE! The combination of text and illustrations makes it a wonderful Read Aloud. I read it to my 7yr. old and he and I had such a great time. There were several opportunities to predict, use the picture for clues and to feel for the characters. GREAT BOOK!
Julie
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun story of friendship. Reminds me of Big Al.
Cordellya Smith
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first grader loved this book. She loved the story as well as the illustrations. Great job on both!
Shandra
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Adorable! Completely unrealistic, as many picture books are (vegetarian sharks? Ha!), but so very cute... Good for preschool or older storytimes.
Bethe
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Good message about not listening to prejudices so much that it makes you change your mind from what you know is right. Don't miss Fang's food chain on the last page.
Laurie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amanda
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I cannot tell you how much I love this book! We picked it up at the book fair and it’s such an adorable story, I want to share it with everyone. Two best friends, Nugget (a minnow--and I am so stealing that name for my next pet) and Fang (a shark), hang out in the ocean, having a grand time. Until, that is, Nugget goes to school, where he learns sharks eat minnows (the reading, math, and science lessons offer enough humor to keep kids engaged until they are older, as well). Nugget can’t be frien ...more
Danielle
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever or Snack Time is a nonfiction book about two unlikely friends who find themselves in a predicament. Best friends Fang (a shark) and Nugget (a minnow) do everything together. On Nugget's first day of school he learns that sharks are dangerous and eat minnows. Nugget becomes leery of his relationship with Fang and tries to distances himself from Fang. Fang becomes emotionally hurt due to Nuggets new discovery and tries to do everything he can think of to be his fri ...more
Matt Bradley
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kids-books
My five-year-old son is just now gaining an appreciation for books. And when the Scholastic Book Fair visited his kindergarten class, he came home all excited asking if I would get him Nugget and Fang. I had never heard of the book before, but I bought it for him the next day at school. A cute story about a minnow named Nugget whose best friend is a giant shark named Fang, Nugget and Fang has instantly become a night-time ritual for my son.

After learning at school that sharks are mean and scary,
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
If you have a child that likes sharks and fish, then do track this one down at the library. It's the story of an unlikely friendship and how sometimes you have to prove yourself to be a friend in order to be accepted.

It's rather long at 40 pages, but smart parents will quickly learn what lines to skip, and no doubt after that it will be an enjoyable 40th read. (You do know you'll be reading this over and over ;)

I would think the younger the child the better. Older sensitive children might be bot
Jasmine
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time- Author Tammi Sauer and Illustrator Michael Slack.

This book is about a minnow, named nugget, who is friends with Fang, a shark. Nugget goes to minnow school and learns that sharks eat minnows. Nugget tries to avoid fang as much as possible, until an incident occurs and fang steps in to help. All the minnows realized that fang was actually a nice shark who didn't want to eat them.

The content of this book focused on friendship

This book can be utiliz
Debbie Tanner
Nugget and Fang are best friends, even though Fang is a shark and Nugget is a minnow. Nugget finds out that sharks are bad when he goes to school (hmmm, is this a commentary on education?). Fang tries hard to get Nugget to be his friend again, but it takes a near tragedy to show the real meaning of friendship.
Becky Shaknovich
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a metaphor for racism, in my opinion. It tackles the issue of fear (and fearmongering). It really hits close to home right now, with the awful tragedy in the news. I wish Florida could take a hint from this story.
Lorna
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute, albeit a bit predictable, but in a sweet way. Will be a hit with the preschool and early primary grades.
Alison
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Canning
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Fang the shark, and Nugget the fish are best friends. They do everything together. However, then Nugget goes to minnow school and learns that sharks eat fish. Can Fang and Nugget ever be friends again. The artwork and story are quite humorous.
Darinda
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Nugget, a minnow, and Fang, a shark, are best friends. Well, they were besties, until Nugget learns he is supposed to be afraid of Fang. A silly story about an unlikely friendship. Colorful and fun artwork.
Jamie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read with Shark storytime.
AMY
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grade K-3
Cute story and colorful illustrations. It has a good problem/solution. Highly recommended for elementary kids.
Kate Taelman
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake
My kids love this book!
Santina Galati
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book to kindergarten students and it had them on the edge of their seats wondering if Nugget and Fang would end up being friends! Great book about friendship!
Chacha Centeno
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sharks
Cute book, too lengthy for Baby or Toddler Storytime. Could possibly be used for Preschool Storytime. Definitely a book you could read to a 1st or 2nd grade class.
Nicole Salter Braun
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
About a little fish who doesn't know he's supposed to be afraid of his best friend....because he's a....SHARK! Sweet story w/ great illustrations and shows the true meaning of friendship
Kelly
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Z and V enjoyed this title, which was suggested by the public librarian. Great friendship story, and about having faith in someone, despite what others say.
Anderlynn Thrailkill
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-2018
Cute summer read - if you like to play "Sharks and Minnows" in the pool, it's a good tie in!
Jon
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute book with classic lessons.
Heather Gettys
Mar 22, 2017 added it
Shelves: poetry
Michelle
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit long for very young readers
  • The Black Rabbit
  • Brief Thief
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • Crankee Doodle
Tammi Sauer is the author of Cowboy Camp (Sterling, 2005), Chicken Dance (Sterling, 2009), Mostly Monsterly (Paula Wiseman/S&S, 2010), the forthcoming Princess-in-Training (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), and something that's currently Top Secret.

Tammi and her family live in Oklahoma with one dog, two geckos, and a tank full of random fish.