Start by marking “Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?

Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?

“I have lost my new blue socks. Did I put them in my box?” Simple rhymes—including socks, box, fox, and ox!—spin the tale of a small duck who waddles through the countryside, forlornly searching for his blue socks. “I’m trying not to be depressed. / Without my socks I feel undressed.” Finally, a sharp-eyed peacock sees a bit of blue peeking out of duck’s lace-up shoes and ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?

Start your review of Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
Archit
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Have you?

I think they were here the last time I wore them.

Our duck can't seem to figure out where the socks went. Adorable the way she asks about the socks to fox and other animals.

Cute. I am reading this to my sons and daughters.

Might prepare them for classic O Henry endings.

Good work by Eve Bunting.

A children's book. With that super duck.

Gets a 5 star all along.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Illustrations: 4 stars

A rhyming picture book about a duck who has lost his new blue socks, or at least he thinks he has. With the help of his animal friends, he finds them. The story is somewhat cumulative. The reveal takes a little too long. The illustrations are my favorite part of the book.
Tasha
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Duck has lost his new blue socks. He searches in his box, but they aren’t there. He asks his friend Fox who hasn’t seen them either. Perhaps Ox knows where his socks are? Ox remembers seeing some socks down by the rocks. But those socks are purple, not blue socks, and they aren’t new either. Finally, Duck asks a group of peacocks about his socks. And they do know where his socks are! It turns out they are in a most surprising place!

Bunting has written a picture book in rhyme that dances along to
Alison
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is a reason why this title has received FIVE STARRED REVIEWS.

Even Kirkus gave this one a Star, people!

YES. KIRKUS!

It is just that good-illustrations and text blend for that perfect match of a picture book. Very funny-very Seuss like-and yet, still original and fun to read. Good pacing-visually and through the writing. Kudos to the team at Clarion for matching Bunting & Ruzzier here.

My 2 1/2 year old loved the set up and laughed when he realized where the lost socks were.

I am beyond tick
Kathryn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
CUTE! The illustrations are darling and the story is a fun one, told in rhyme, that reminded me a bit of Green Eggs and Ham. The repetition of the "ox" sounds (Socks, Ox, Fox) is a delight to read aloud. The illustrations are fun and adorable (I like some of the humorous touches, such as the fox reading and eating a bunch of grapes!) and, of course, it's fun to try and see if you can see the blue sock somewhere in the pictures. My five month old was quite drawn to the illustrations. ...more
Molly
If you've ever lost your glasses on your own head or your keys in your own pocket, the duck in this book is the pal for you. ...more
Carol
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Duck can not find his new blue socks. He looks in his box and asks his friends, Fox and Mr. Ox. He even looks by the rocks and talks to the peacocks. Where he finds his new blue socks will be obvious to some grown-ups early on, but youngsters will love discovering them long before Duck does.
Eve Bunting has tapped into her inner Dr. Seuss with this one. It reads like "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Fox in Socks". The illustrations however, do not follow the Seussian style of bold colors and quirky char
Dolly
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2013, childrens, rhyming
This is an entertaining rhyming tale that very much reminds me of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. The repetition and rhyme scheme is quite humorous and rhythmic and I expect that young children will enjoy hearing this book read aloud over and over.

The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish, and the little duck is adorable. Even though this book was a bit too 'babyish' for our girls, we still enjoyed reading it aloud together. Fun for individual or group storytime.
Jim Erekson
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay, Lu. Is this one really a Caldecott contender, or did you just throw it in there because of the abiding human theme of New Socks?

The first thought that crossed my mind after the first page was, "Maybe they're in your gigantic shoes." Dramatic irony! Did Bunting and Ruzzier intend it?

Too close to Fox in Socks with the rhyming choices, and not nearly as full of fresh voice as Bob Shea's book!
Samantha
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A rhyming hunt for missing socks. Pen, ink and watercolor illustrations are full of fun details to discover. It's been quite awhile since I got this lost in the pictures in a picture book.

The ending is funny and so much better than if they had been hiding in some obscure place. I especially appreciated how a reader's careful attention to all of the artistic details included in the pictures help them figure out the mystery of the missing blue socks.
Barbara
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Eve Bunting. She can write in so many styles. This is more like an early reader with repeating rhyming sentences that kids will love to finish for you when you read it out loud. The colorful water color and pen illustrations add great clues to the easy text. They provide lot of back story to the written story. This might be a fun book to read in a Kindergarten class to inspire kids to write their own rhyming stories.
Margie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Eve Bunting writes a book you read it. But when Sergio Ruzzier illustrates it, it goes to a whole new level of charming. There is something extraordinary about his interpretation of the text. His characters' features make you love them instantly. Losing socks has never been so good.

My full review: http://bit.ly/11GUAqA

Teresa
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This sounded much like a re-done Dr. Seuss book. I think I was spoiled by Ms. Bunting's Smokey Night and expected a bit more. I realize that this book is, of course, aimed at a younger audience and shouldn't be judged by the same standard, but even with that in mind, it didn't appeal to me that much. ...more
Carol
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Completely adorable and thoroughly engaging. Duck is on a quest to find his missing socks. After searching his house, he seeks help from his friends. Sharp eyed readers will find the socks before duck and his friends solve the mystery.
Meg
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect for preschool read-aloud, by also would be great for an emerging reader with all the rhyming and controlled vocabulary.

I love that the illustrations include a book shelf, or an ox sitting at his easel with paints. Very subtle, but a celebration of the arts. Nice touch!
Mandy Laferriere
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute, with a fun ending. If you look closely, the illustrations are a lot more complex than it appears on first glance. My son loves to point out the objects and name them. We enjoy this one a lot!
Kalen
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reads a bit like a Dr. Seuss book, but I just wanted a little more from it than I got. Maybe some more clues in the illustrations to make it a little more interesting for story time?
Leona
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy, ps-st, concept, rhyming
duck looks everywhere for his new blue socks until some friends help him. very cute ducks simply illustrated.
Rachel
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Delightful story, the solution is reveled so kids can spot it before the duck does, great use of "cks" and "ox" rhyme, has great classroom application.
Colby Sharp
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
This is one of those picture books that you MUST reread as soon as you finish.
Jessica
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun rhyming tale. The book introduced some great words to discuss in storytime, and my crowd did not guess the location of the socks until the very end.
Joanne Roberts
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Funny twist ending. For very young readers. Cute. Not overly memorable.
Cosette
Aug 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but didn't Suess already write this type of book? ...more
Taylor Rench
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Bunting's book is about Duck not being able to find his new blue socks. First he looks through his box, and when he cannot find them there, he asks his friend the fox and he does not know where Ducks socks are. Duck goes to ask his friend the Ox, who thought the he say them on the rocks. After finding out that the socks on the rocks were more purple than blue, Duck goes to ask the Peacocks if they have seen his socks. While he is talking to them, the smallest peacock asks if they are the same so ...more
Cassandra Clyde
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Working with preschoolers and their families, I am frequently encouraging participation in the 1000 books before kindergarten literacy program. After years of encouraging others to participate, I decided to participate as well, despite not having a child under five years of age, and lead by example. In choosing to participate, I decided to use the challenge as a way to become more familiar with the contemporary literary cannon for families with young children, and have begun to immerse myself in ...more
Molly Walker
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have You Seen My New Blue Socks? is such a cute book. I love the simplicity of the story and the rhyming scheme throughout the whole book. This little duckling is looking for a pair of socks he just got, but somehow misplaced them. He decides to ask his friends, Mr. Fox and Mr. Ox if they have seen them but they have not. He then asks the Peacocks if they've seen them & one of the peacocks sees blue peaking out from under his shoes! The duckling soon feels feels embarrassed but grateful that he ...more
Sophie Kramer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book reminded me a lot of when you lose your sunglasses on your head because the duck loses his socks and finds them on his feet. It was cute and the illustrations are light and pleasing. This book seemed a little boring to me, but it was still fun to read. I liked the repetition and how each page had a rhyme.
For example:
"Peacocks? Have you seen my socks?
I did not put them in my box.
I asked my good friend Mr. Fox.
I asked my good friends Mr. Ox.
Peacocks? Have you seen my socks?

This would
Asho
Emily K
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?" is a book about a duck who lost his new blue socks. He throws everything out of his big box searching for them, but finds nothing. His friend, Mr. Fox, can't find them either, but he suggests asking the ox. The ox says he hasn't seen them either, but he did see socks on the rocks by the lake, but they were purple. Duck then asks the peacocks, who realize duck has had them on the whole time. This book is full of rhyming that would be great read aloud. The illust ...more
Olivia Wills
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed "Have you seen my new blue socks?" by Eve Bunting. I loved the illustrations and thought they were different because they were done using watercolor. This book I perfect for reading in front of the classroom because it's an active read- so the teacher can incorporate many questions while reading keeping the students engaged. I think this book is best suited for kindergarten to first grade, since it is still a basic story line, but the added questions by the teacher can really he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear
  • B Is for Baby
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The

News & Interviews