Start by marking “Mary Wrightly, So Politely” as Want to Read:
Mary Wrightly, So Politely

Mary Wrightly, So Politely

Mary Wrightly is the best-behaved little girl around. She always politely says please and thank you and even “I’m sorry” when something isn’t her fault. But when a shopper comes between Mary and the blue elephant toy she wants to buy for her beloved baby brother, will Mary just let the woman walk away with it? Speak up, Mary! Monescillo’s charming illustrations capture the ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mary Wrightly, So Politely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Wrightly, So Politely

Matthew
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not sure why people think this book promotes stereotypes. It's about ONE girl. Children know we're not all one way.

My 'slow to warm up' daughter loves it, and really enjoys it when she gets assertive near the end and does so for altruistic reasons.

Maybe moms can learn a lesson here about not blabbing so much. :)
The Library Lady
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I think most of the folks out there wailing about "gender stereotyping" have never had a child of their own who had a hard time being assertive.
And that applies to boys as well as girls. Moral here isn't "be polite", it's "you can be polite and still speak up for yourself!", which is a lesson a lot of children AND grown-ups ought to listen to.
Susan
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nice, empowering book for the small set who often get overlooked and ignored. Mary is a sweet girl who is on the quiet side, prone to overlooking other's lack of manners. What I liked is how astutely it points out everyday events for children - getting pushed to the side, bonked on the head with a giant purse, and told to wait even when they have something vitally important to them. When push comes to shove, Mary stands up for herself - and I really like that it is not treated like some big reve ...more
Catherine
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute. I adored little Mary. She was so polite, even when she was not at fault. Even when someone hit her with they're purse or stepped on her foot, Mary said "I'm sorry."
I liked when she spotted the stuffer elephant, for her brother and some other customer picked the toy up. At first, she was too quiet to be heard. But eventually she got her point across and the customer gave her the toy elephant.
This book shows that it's good to be polite, but if you want something, you
Valleri
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cute book about learning when to use manners and when one needs to speak up is very endearing. I can relate to the quiet little girl who doesn't like to shout and in finding her voice, she also learned to advocate for herself and what she wants.
Barbara
Mary Wrightly is an exceptionally well-behaved and polite child. But when other, more aggressive or less courteous children and adults keep taking the stuffed animals she had in mind for her little brother, it's time to speak up. When she does so but politely, of course, she finds that others respond in kind. The only thing I disliked about the book was the last page with the brother's loud chortle, but then again, that's the perfect reaction to such a great stuffed elephant. I suppose I was loo ...more
Rachael
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd like to respond to many of the reviewers here saying that this book portrays a gender stereotype of a timid little girl. I think you missed the point of the book. The gender of the character is somewhat irrelevant. The storyline is not endorsing or recommending that children (or little girls) SHOULD be overly polite or self-effacing. This is a story of a particular person who happens to be like that by nature (or by nurture, also irrelevant to the point of the book). The message the book is ...more
Christopher
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Mary is a shy girl who never speaks up or stands up for herself. She is like for most of the story until the end when she finally speaks up for herself. I think this sia good message to send to kids but this book didn't handle the situation well in my opinion. The city bus that Mary and her mom take everywhere is a school bus with upholstered seats (which doesn't exist if I'm correct). There was persepctive issues especially in the first spread that took me out of the story. A nice message that ...more
Tara Mickela
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Saw this reviewed on SLJ and immediately asked our local library to purchase it, which they did because they are AWESOME!! It is THE perfect book for little girls who haven't "found their voice" and try so very hard to stand up for themselves when their vocal cords just won't agree...
There are so few books out there that tell shy girls it is OKAY to be shy but this one does it and I love it. Two shy girls live in my house and even though they are 13, they will have this book read to them t
Becky
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary Wrightly is very polite little girl. She says please and thank you, and never ever shouts - until the day she and her mom go shopping for a birthday present for her little brother. After missing out on the duck and the teddy bear because she's too timid to make herself heard, she finally puts her foot down to get her little brother the blue stuffed elephant she knows he'll love. With charming illustrations and a wonderful theme for timid children (as well as a small lesson on manners for mo ...more
Summer
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: youth, picture-books
Okay, so I'll agree with most readers that it was very annoying to see Mary apologizing for things (like getting her foot stepped on) that weren't her fault in the slightest, but I do like the illustrations and the fact that when Mary is assertive she isn't overtly so. I think a lot of people forget sometimes that while it is good to assert yourself and have your voice heard, it's better if you do so in a polite and respectful way. After all, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Jan
Apr 24, 2013 added it
I found the gender stereotyping in this to be very disturbing. After being treated rudely by numerous fellow customers in the toy store while shopping for a gift for her baby brother, Mary finally asserts herself. Mary even apologizes when a woman bonks her on the head with her purse. This gender stereotyping in the 21st century makes me very angry and sad.

The last page, on which baby brother is loudy proclaiming his delight with his gift acted more like the last straw for this reade
Christine
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Little Mary is often overlooked because she is so quiet and polite. However, on a trip to the store to find the perfect toy for her baby brother's birthday, Mary discovers that speaking up and speaking out can work to her favor. A touching story about the importance of being polite, but also about the need to speak out in certain situations (nicely of course) to get what you really want.
Adrielle
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like the idea of writing about a quiet, polite child -- I don't like the idea of a mother taking her quiet, polite child to a crowded toy store and completely ignoring her, while the child gets stepped on, knocked in the head by purses and completely aced out three times in a row. I didn't really care for the story.
Jen
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
Pastel pictures. I don't like how the girl lets people step on her toes and then acts like it's her own fault. I guess this book could help teach kids to stand up for themselves. This is unrealistic too that the toy store would only have one of each toy on sale. No store is like that.
Erin
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story about Mary Wrightly, a quiet and shy little girl. Mary wants to buy a toy for her brother in a very busy toy store. When she sees the perfect stuffed elephant, she must speak up (so politely).
Kendra
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Call me old fashioned, but I sure wish kids were still this polite. A nice example of when it's appropriate to be heard and how to handle the situation. It's obviously not very realistic, but it's a picture book, so I think that's ok.
Kifflie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty good effort. I do agree with the other reviewers who cringed at Mary's apologizing for things that aren't really her fault; however, she does appear to learn when it's appropriate to assert herself.
Tracie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Mary Wrightly is always polite and soft-spoken--even when being polite and soft-spoken allow others to take advantage of her. While searching for the perfect birthday present for her baby brother, Mary learns that sometimes you have to be (politely) assertive to accomplish your goals.
Pawsitive School  Counselor
Although the message is great- be polite, be honest, be kind, etc. I think the character in this book is just a bit over the top. For your kids that really need a good example of how to be kind and control their anger, it would be great.
Elisabeth
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the direction this book was headed. I still think it would be a good book to share with little ones who have a hard time finding their voice. I saw a lot of myself in little Mary and wish she would've spoken up even more and didn't apologize when she didn't do anything wrong.
Ally McCulloch
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
The little girl I read it to loved it. I love it when kids are polite, but Mary Wrightly was boring and annoying.
AJ
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Being polite is important and so is speaking up. Young Mary learns how to balance these two virtues while shopping for a present for her baby brother.
Becky
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book in which the polite main character finally stands up for herself, but in a respectful way.
Tracie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mary Wrightly is very polite even on the one occasion when she has to speak loudly to assert herself.
Kimberly
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish all kids spoke as politely as Mary Wrightly.
Tracy
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I have an affinity for Mary Wrightly.
Rebecca Ann
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I LOVE the illustrations and the message. It is great to be polite, but it's also important to stand up for yourself!
Nancy Jo Lambert
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I was not at all sure what shelf to put this book on. It was good. A nice little story about a very polite girl. That's all I got on this one.
Rachel
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting book about standing up for yourself, but being polite about it. Some interesting word play with "ly"

• The Bathing Costume: Or the Worst Vacation of My Life
  • Princesses on the Run
  • Building Our House
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • How to Hide a Lion
Shirin Yim Bridges comes from a family of writers and artists. Her first book, Ruby's Wish, was named one of the Best Children’s Books of 2002 by Publishers Weekly, and won the Ezra Jack Keats awards for Best Writer and Best Illustrator in 2003. It is on several state reading lists, has been translated into six languages, and is now in its ninth edition.

Shirin’s second book, The Umbrel