Start by marking “Homecoming (The Chosen, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
Homecoming (The Chosen, #0.3)

Homecoming

(The Chosen #0.3)

Will Davenport returns home from Iraq a broken man. While he can learn to live with his dishonorable discharge, the memories of the incident that precipitated it is a different story. His mother’s rejection sends him into a downward spiral of self-loathing until he finally accepts what he has really become. Unredeemable.
Published August 7th 2012 by Bramagioia Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Start your review of Homecoming (The Chosen, #0.3)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a short prequel to the Chosen series. It deals with Will's frame of mind when he was dishonorably discharged from the Marines. He arrived home wanting nothing more than the comfort of his Mother. He got what he expected from his Father but not his Mom. This portion of the story is heartbreaking and really helps us to know what made Will the heart hardened man he was when he later met Emma. The rejection of his parents drives Will to seek out his best friend, James, who will also play a ...more
Jessica Frances
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Homecoming was so heartbreaking. I felt for Will this entire read. To see his world crumbling down, to see how much pain he was in when he arrived home was so sad. I enjoyed this glimpse into the world to see why he made the choices he did. In the end I just wanted to reach through the pages and give him a big hug.
Danielle Moore
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a reader of all her books (The Chosen series is by far my favorite), the more Denise Grover Swank can give to strengthen the bond & understanding between reader & character is welcome & fantastic! In this short, she explores Will's heartbreaking return from Iraq. I felt a little confused at the end of this one. I guess I assumed it would show Will's "career" to the point where he finds Emma & Jake. When it ended, I wanted to know the rest of the story, to have the gap filled. ...more
Samantha Malstrom
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many emotions! Homecoming is the short story of Will Davenport when he returned home after his military “incident”, how the military reacted to it, how his family reacted, and how he reacted to it. In the Chosen series you can see some of Will’s feelings towards this but it adds a new dimension when you see how he felt as everything played out. It was so sad seeing how he felt but I think it gives readers a better understanding of where he was coming from and who he was at the beginning of ...more
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Homecoming is the third prequel in The Chosen series and it is about Will and what happens after he is discharged from the Marines. This short story was heartbreaking and I felt so bad for Will after he went home. I did think it was important background information of how Will became the person he is when we encounter him in Chosen. It has been a few years since I first read Chosen so I am looking forward to rereading it with the information that I now know about Will.
Laila Nelke
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This third prequel was so heartbreaking to me! We've got another glimpse into Will's life after he's dishonorably discharged from Marines... Broken man surrounded by nightmares homecoming and being expelled from family. .. That makes us understand why Will is the way he is before he meets Emma. This is the moment you find yourself wanting to hug the hero and give him your love and sympathy. This story gives us a closer look at James as well.
Loved it!
Tracy Hall
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

This book gave some insight to Will’s character that the series The Chosen lacked. It should be read prior to the series.
Niv
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick short story that provided background on Will when he returned from Iraq. We got to learn a little more about him and James.
Nicki
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella showed us what Will went through after his incident in the marines. I like getting to know how he was after. And see how much Emma changed him in Chosen.
Noel Kennedy
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER ALERT** This is the 3rd book in the suggested reading order for the Chosen series. This short story helps explain why Will is the way he is and how he came to become a mercenary. It isn’t necessary to read, but does help the read to get a better grasp on the character. This book is intended to be read 3rd in the series, but could be read before the first or second book if need be. Highly recommend to anyone reading the series.

Will returns home from Iraq after a mission went badly,
Linda
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A dip into Will's past...I definitely wanted more, but this does give some insight into Will before he meets Jake and Emma.

Will has just returned from Iraq, where he was dishonorably discharged for not following orders. He returns home hoping to see his mother, the one person who always soothed him when he was feeling bad. He knew things would not be easy with his dad, given he was career military and expected nothing less from his son. A dishonorable discharge was not something his father would
Angela Shockley
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Courier?

I didn't discover the Chosen short stories until I finished the series. It was actually very nice to be given a different perspective after the fact!

It was great to get ANOTHER glimpse into Will's life before meeting Emma. I understand the situation in which he was discharged, but his father's approach was despicable. I'd take Aiden over that guy... really... mabybe... no, not really. But he's a terrible father. Now James' work is obviously shady, and I understand that Will is
Jamie Davis
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No homecoming for the lost!

Will never claimed to be a hero, nor did he claim to have a squeaky clean past. The guilt over the tragedy at the school in Iraq hovers around him like a dense fog he can't see through clearly. No one is capable of convincing him the blame his entirely his since he disobeyed orders to grab the terrorist. The visions that haunt his mind cloud his judgement and force him to harden his heart. In doing so, he paves the way to working for criminals with his unique set of
Laura Martinez
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This short story was so heartbreaking to me. Being the tissue paper when you read this book if your a softie like myself.
The story entails what happens to Will after his dishonorable discharge.
He knew what to expect from his father but he always expected for his mother to be there for him like she has in the past but she turns away from him. Heartbroken he turns to his sister and then James.
While visiting James, he answers the phone and this his questionable employment begins.
It was an
Sandra Lancaster
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This short story tells of Will's homecoming after being discharged from the Marines. The first time I read he Chosen series I didn't read the short stories but I'm so glad I read this now. I loved Will already, but with this new insight into what he was going through and his state of mind, I see how much he changed through the books. I found it to be a emotional read. My heart was breaking for what Will was dealing with..tears were shed. Denise once again pulls you in and does an amazing job ...more
Lori Clark cook
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Homecoming, we get a glimpse into Will's life after his discharge from the Marines. He just wanted to see his mom and be welcomed back into the family fold.

Will's father, however, was not please to see him and the home situation broke my heart. We are introduced to Will's best friend, James. These two were always into something as kids, joined the Marines together and when Will needed a place to land, James was his choice. James is the person who inadvertently introduced Will to the type of
Teresa Sambrook
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a thriller
Recommended to Teresa by: Jamie Davis
This is a short story that goes with the Chosen series. It's the second of 3 novellas. You can really read these books at any point in the series. I read all three after Hunted, but it may have been helpful to read before Hunted. Either way was an awesome addition to the Chosen books! It gave the struggles of Will, giving you a closer more personal view of the character. These novellas are one of the things I love about Denise and her writing style. I think she really wants us to have an insight ...more
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
The prequel novel tells the story of how Will became Will.

We see that Will is a broken man, who ha been dishonorably discharged due to an incident in Iraq that killed innocent Children. He returns home alone, beaten and without the love of his family - who have rejected Will.

Will has nothing left to live for, so he decides to use his marine skill set to work for shady people for a paycheck. However, what Will does not know that this choice, this lifestyle will ultimately lead him down the path
Heather
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to Will and the Chosen series A short story prequel to the Chosen series where we get to experience Will's side of his story. I was heartbroken when I read what led to his dishonorable discharge and his "exile" from his family, specifically his mother. It was one of those stories where you want to hug the main character (at the same time drop-kicking his father) and tell him that it will be all right and that he is an honorable person. If you want to read the Chosen series ...more
Beth
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great peek into Will's history in the military, and what led him to who he is when we meet him. It's an interesting perspective into his traumatic past, dealing with PTSD, realizing that he has been abandoned and shamed by his own family, and dealing with horrific nightmares dealt with only with alcohol as a crutch. We see him reconnect with his best friend, but he gets tied up in some unsavory work as a last resort when he needs a job and doesn't think he can sink any lower. This ...more
Nina
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great short story. However, I thought it could have ended better.. in the sense to tie in to the beggining of Chosen. I felt that the way in which Will came across the job that brought him to Emma was important and the slight insinuation of Jake didn't get explored. Unless there will be one more short story to address those points it will feel to me as unfilled holes. The execution of Homecoming was perfect though.. just ended too soon!
Rhea
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I already liked this character but this novella that opens his past to us in more detail made me cry with sympathy for him. Not only do these prequels give us more information about the story but they add to the character development in a way that makes them come to life. You don't have to read the prequels to read the novels in this series but I highly recommend you do. All of Denise Grover Swank's novellas are gems not to be missed.
Kim
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy all Denise Grover Swanks Short Stories that tie into the Chosen series. The series is a must read. When I read her books they are so hard to put down. Constantly keeping you on the edge of your seat. Makes you laugh and makes you cry. She makes you feel part of the book due to the characters you get so involved with them and your going through the things yourself.
Carie Lewis
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! I always knew Will was a tortured soul, but Denise Grover Swank completely rips your heart out painting an unbearably heartwrenching story detailing Will's internal struggle to overcome the horrors he has survived and committed. Another great story by a superb storyteller! I can't wait for the next one.
Michelle Stuck
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where Emergence gives you Emma and Jake’s backstory, Homecoming tells you all about Will’s backstory and you also get to meet James. You do not need to read this novella as a part of the Chosen series but it does help to see where the characters are coming from and get even more information about the characters that you will love in Chosen.
Kelly Mccurdy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If only Will knew that everything has a reason. He is in a bad place and his mom isn't helping. He turns to the thing that most lost souls turn too. That is, until he meets her.

This little novella will take you back before Will and Emma. You will see Will when he was in Iraq. What he goes through and how he is feeling. This is a must have to read to see what Will is.
Jennifer Priser
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Answers

WhenI said I looked forward to finding out what happened between Will and his family and friend, I did not expect the story to turn so intensely. I almost want to reread Chosen with this backstory in mind. It definitely gives insight into what impacted Will's personality and lead to his current situation.
#ByFelicia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story by an awesome writer! Simply could not put it down! Denise Grover Swank has a way of writing where you feel connected to the characters. You will not be disappointed with this series or anything else she writes!
Jessica Binion
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one was pretty good I love looking deeper into the characters stories before the main story started and I love will!! I would for sure read this novella it was my favorite amongst the other ones!
Stormy Udell
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Will...my heart belongs to Will. He's a warrior that was beaten to become who he is. A man that loves fiercely, fights for that love and would die for that love. Seeing into more of his life just made me fall deeper in love with a fictional character :)

• Crown of Blood (Book of Sindal 3)
  • Reign of Mist (Book of Sindal Book Two)
  • Of Blood and Monsters (Piper Lancaster Series)
  • Of Fire and Storm: A Curse Keeper Novel (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #2)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Descended from Shadows (Book of Sindal Book One)
  • Recombinant (The Blood Borne #1)
  • The Token Series (3 volume boxed set)
  • Replica (The Blood Borne #2)
  • The Token Series, A Billionaire Dark Romantic Suspense: Box Set (Books 4-6)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Of Ash and Spirit (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #1)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)

The Chosen (4 books)
  • Chosen (The Chosen, #1)
  • Hunted (The Chosen, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Chosen, #3)
  • Redemption (The Chosen, #4)