Start by marking “What Was the Gold Rush?” as Want to Read:
What Was the Gold Rush?

What Was the Gold Rush?

(What was...)

In 1848, gold was discovered in California, attracting over 300,000 people from all over the world, some who struck it rich and many more who didn't. Hear the stories about the gold-seeking "forty-niners!" With black-and white illustrations and sixteen pages of photos, a nugget from history is brought to life!
Published February 7th 2013 by Grosset & Dunlap

Start your review of What Was the Gold Rush?
Gabriel alexander Arras
I think this book is a good book because this book is about gold or more specifically, a gold rush.
There was a gold rush in Nevada. The most popular gold rush was in California and it was discovered on accident.

I recommend this book to any one who likes biographies.
Heather
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes

Seems like the experience was altogether miserable. Lol. It did however cause more of the West to become populated. Interesting
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – The Gold Rush was an important time period that had taken place in 1848. It helped to shape the United States into much of what it is today. This book teaches the reader many of the significant events that had occurred from 1799-1914. The event that is most focused on is the Gold Rush, but because of the Gold Rush so many other important events had taken place.

When you think about the Gold Rush you think of all the people that had rushed to California to mine Gold. That isn’t the
Caleb Payne
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book What Was The Gold Rush by, Joan Holub, talks about the very famous gold rush that happened in California. This book talks about how a simple discovery of Gold in California by a small plantation worker turned into a huge migration that eventually helped for the present state California. The miners that moved to California were usually men who had left their families in order to go to California and try and become rich! Very few actually became rich and many lost everything including ...more
Jack McKernan
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the last books that I read this semester was "What was the Gold Rush" by Joan Holub. The gold rush was an event where their was a lot of gold being found in the state of California. The gold rush is the event that put California on the map because people from east coast states were moving to California to mine for gold. It wasn't the best life for most of the gold miners only making about $10 a day of the gold being found. These miners had terrible working conditions and living conditions ...more
Connor Benson
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was the Gold Rush by Joan Holub was a great non fiction book with a lot of facts. I was a small book that is personally one of my favorite books of all time. While reading more and more questions were coming through my head and then the questions got answered on the next page. One of the best books I have ever read.

The gold rush hit California in the 1800s and it made a huge impact on the United States. People from the eastern part of the U.S. Are coming to the west hoping to strike gold. T
Patti
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful little book with a fun picture on the front is perfect for young readers to read on their own, especially if challenged to do a report. Gold Rush facts are clearly written in kid-friendly way that will not intimidate reluctant readers. This small book packs a bounty of information into 100 pages of large print. I flagged many pages with fascinating facts I wanted to include in my 4th grade presentation for my granddaughter’s class.

The book includes: drawn illustrations as well as
Tag Broaderip
The Gold Rush happened in the US in the late 1800's. Gold was first discovered in North Carolina in 1849. The first gold nugget was found by a boy in a creek and weighed 195 pounds! They didn't know it was gold or that it was valuable so they used it as a door stop. Several years later they sold it for $3.95. Prospectors are people searching for gold. some people were not good at that they went a long way to find gold and come back with nothing or vary little. some new what they were doing a cam ...more
Takuya Kitaura
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
penguin level3
Time 7/6 50min 7/7 20min
7 word summary Calfornia-19-century-people-seek-gold-America

Discussion question

In this story, many people tried to get much gold.

Have you ever tried to get something enthusiastically?

Yes, I have. When I was junior high school student, I trid to get many J-pop CDs.

This story is so famous! I like this story. The value of gold does not change easily.
Gerardo Sicairos
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This informational text is a good book to go to when you want to learn about the gold rush and it is only 102 pages.I recommended this to people that like to learn about history and the gold rush.
Cheryl
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
[3.5]

The only thing that WASN'T mentioned was the big business brothels must've been.

But this is a kid's book after all. :P
James
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was the gold rush by Joan Holub is an itresting book. I have learned so many thigs i never really knew about the gold rush. I always thought it all started in California but it actually started in 1799 north carolina and then in 1828 georgia gold rush . But the one in California was a huge deal. California had to deal with the land of gold the land was currently being used by a Native American tribe named Nisenan. And so the US had made deals to take iver the land in exchange for cloths and ...more
David
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Was the Gold Rush? by Joan Holub does a nice job of explaining the gold rush in California. It also states that there were earlier gold rushes in the east and others after the 1849 California Gold Rush. The author describes the tools and equipment used by prospectors to mine for gold and silver. She also explains the processes from panning to other larger-scale operations including industrial scale operations done by larger companies. Facts are provided to explain the contribution of gold r ...more
Yuuki Nakashima
I wanted to learn about the gold rush because San Francisco is my favorite city, so I picked up this book. This book was a perfect level for me who had just a brief knowledge of the gold rush. Most of the stories were new for me!

Since it’s basically a children’s book, it has several simple maps to explain the routes to California and Oregon from other states. It’s foreigner-friendly! Even if you are not familiar with the geography of the states, those maps help you.
Hassan Alsalami
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story I read is called “What Was the Gold Rush” by Joan Holub, this book is about who found the first gold in the gold rush and how it spread all throughout America. The book teaches us about how many people from the east ran to the west in hopes of getting rich from the gold, and the president allowed that but there are pros and cons to that. I think this book is just right for my level and recommend this to anyone wanting to learn about the gold rush.
Justin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is this book about:
this book is about in 1848 when the native American lands were taken away and the animals were killed by the prospectors

The things that I like about the gold rush:
I like the gold rush book because I learn about the chines people when they come to America to dig for gold and how the native American was treated.
Coco Harris
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A good historical resource for studying the gold rush of California. Some of the pacing within the chapter sequences and even between paragraphs felt choppy. However, I did like the inclusion of photographs from the time period, especially the inclusion of Chinese immigrants and African Americans that partook in the gold rush.
Stacy M. Patton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This is a very well written and easy to read book. I had my 5th and 6th graders read this book to themselves as we are studying this time period. I read it to myself and thought it was so interesting! My kids loved it as well. Great illustrations as well!
Tommy P
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it tells me what I want to know about the gold rush. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes to learn about it. If you like other biographies you will like this because it is very similar. Someone finds something read to find out
Valentin
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because it has a lot of pictures that further enhances comprehension about the Gold Rush. It also explains other gold rush events that had happened in various parts of the country prior and after the California gold rush.
Maria
The story of the Goldrush is based on History. When a bunch of people found gold in California's river. It was like everywhere you see people were looking for gold. It was an interesting book to read.
Allison Hurd
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great What Was book based on California's Gold Rush. An independent read for upper grade elementary students. Gives a good all around background of the important facts and people involved with the gold rush.
Jase
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read what was the gold rush by Joan Holub.

The gold rush was when people came from all around the north to get to California. Because people found gold and found gold but they thowt that it was fowls gold so they went to discover that it was
acchtowel gold and anthers and anthers came and asked there family to look to get more gold so they could get rich

I recommend this book to people who like to read about the past because it was from the past
Myra Benedict
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imformation
This book is based on history , it’s really helpful when you have to do a report and assignment related to history. Also good for basic knowledge .
Emma
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just know I would be one of the unlucky ones and never hit "pay dirt".
Ben
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book
Rehmatjyot Singh
at the end everyone dies
Rebecca
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read aloud for my 5th graders as we study westward expansion!
Lisa
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was very informative about the Gold Rush. Great illustrations helped keep my attention.
Erica Drum
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children enjoyed this book.

• Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Who Was Milton Hershey?
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Marie Curie?
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • What Was the Bombing of Hiroshima? (What Was?)
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
  • Who Was Galileo?
  • Where Is the Great Wall?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Where Is Area 51?
  • Who Was Rosa Parks?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Where Is Alcatraz? (Where Is?)
  • Who Was John F. Kennedy?
Children's book author:
MIGHTY DADS (NYTimes bestseller); the GODDESS GIRLS series + HEROES IN TRAINING series (w Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER a Girl Power Primer; ZERO THE HERO; I AM THE SHARK. Lucky to be doing what I love!

What was... (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • What Was the Battle of Gettysburg?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • What Was the First Thanksgiving?
  • What Was the Alamo?
  • What Was Ellis Island?
  • What Was Pompeii? (What Was?)
  • What Is the Statue of Liberty?
  • What Is the Panama Canal?