Start by marking “The Church Planting Wife: Help and Hope for Her Heart” as Want to Read:
The Church Planting Wife: Help and Hope for Her Heart

The Church Planting Wife: Help and Hope for Her Heart

"Nothing in my life goes untouched by my husband’s calling."

Christine Hoover’s words in the first chapter describe so well the life of a church planter’s wife, which is enormously difficult yet extraordinarily rewarding. To be married to a church planter is a calling of its own with a richness of its own.

In The Church Planting Wife, Hoover explores and encourages the heart
Published February 1st 2013 by Moody Publishers (first published November 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Church Planting Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church Planting Wife

Kyle Hoover
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not biased or anything....
Amy
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me start out by noting that I am not a church planting wife but I am a pastor’s wife. My friend who is a church planting wife told me about it and so I applied for an advance copy because I’ve never read anything about being a wife of a minister and the idea intrigued me.

I’m very grateful to have learned about this book because it was a wonderful refresher and reminder as to what my role as a pastor’s wife is. When our husbands attend seminary, there is no course we take to prepare us as sp
Bethany
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and found it helpful. It uses specific language for church planting wives, which may be hard for some to look past, but it does offer a lot of truth and insight for any woman in ministry, and also truths for Christians in general. I appreciate the author’s honesty through her struggles and also her encouragement through the Word. I would definitely recommend this book.
Stacia
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I'm not a church planter's wife.
But...
I am an elder's wife at a church plant that we have been a part of since basically the beginning. Also, 8 years prior to joining the church plant, my husband and I moved 2000 miles away from home and family to be working missionaries in an area all but devoid of sound Biblical doctrine. So, I'm not completely out of the target audience either.

While, the interview portions of the book were helpful and there was a lot of great stuff in this book,
Stacey
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. The title is misleading, making it seem only appropriate for a pastor's wife or church planter. I have suggested it to every women/ministry spouse on our staff to read. It applies to all women who desire to keep God first in their ministry to Him
Annie B.
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book written by someone in the trenches! I appreciate Christine's transparency and vulnerability about this subject; great book that every church planter's wife should read!
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book certainly applies to the pastor's wife who isn't a church planter. I'm still growing into my new role as fully invested pastor's wife (as opposed to full time English teacher) and I found much in this book to ease that transition. I enjoyed her reminders about hospitality and being willing to display your mess for the sale of welcoming others in. My husband echoes her sentiments heartily whenever I start freaking out about having ppl over.

Overall I did not love it, though. Probably pa
Caroline Saunders
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christine is right on the mark. Like right on the mark. Christine's wisdom is solid, precise, and relevant--so relevant that it's almost a shame that the book is geared for the church-planting wife. Christine approached each topic with a humility that really touched my hardened, cynical heart. She makes it clear that she's going through these struggles with her readers.

Bottom line: The Church Planting Wife is scripturally based, full of hope and wisdom (some of which is from interview with other
Kristin Bush
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was actually okay. I didn't know what to expect from this book or even if I would be able to relate. The book is literally about it's title, the wife of a church planter. Christine Hoover kind of takes you into the heart and mind of this wife, giving you a glimpse of how stressful it can be and then just how rewarding it can be as well. I rank it in the middle because its more of a memoir than it is an actual story.
Elise
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I would recommend this book to wives of church planters and even to those who plan to venture into any new ministry arena (missions, starting a new ministry within a church, revitalizing a ministry).

While I recommend this book, it's still vital to remember that it reflects one person's experience and wisdom. Be sure not to make laws for yourself or even set your expectations based on Christine's experience. (I'm sure she'd agree with that.) Your final authority must be God's word.
Jacqueline James
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful and deep. Fairly specific to church-planting, but useful for other ministry contexts. All the interviews were with wives of church-planters at large churches....might have been more broadly useful to have included a few from folks at smaller churches.
Kaitlyn Cotnoir
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though I'm not a church planting wife or even a pastor's wife, I found this book so beneficial after being in ministry and having burnt out. I really connected with a lot of the struggles she speaks to. I would recommend it to any woman in ministry!
Leah
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed navigating this book with two friends who's husbands feel called to church planting. Even though we do not feel that call there was so much application for me just as a church leaders wife and friend to these women.
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly suggest this to wives whose husbands are in any ministry capacity. I've found this so helpful in encouraging my husband and supporting him in the calling God placed on his life.
Megan
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is a very gospel centered read. great read anytime doubt is in the air or questions of direction. lots of biblical mandates to steer you in the right direction.
Rachel Ann
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Slow to start but Christine does a decent job of honestly sharing the struggles that come with the blurred lines of work and family life in ministry. A quick read- finished this one in one day.
Sissi
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An encouraging book filled with real-life experiences, uplifting words of advice and great wisdom. A 5 day read! It has been a blessing to me : )
Hope
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An amazingly helpful book for those in ministry about the challenges and blessings of starting something new.
Lylli Franco
  • Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter
  • The 7 Experiment: Staging Your Own Mutiny Against Excess
  • Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling
  • You Are Good at Things: A Checklist
  • Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand: A Devotional Study on Spiritual Victory
  • Gospel Treason: Betraying the Gospel with Hidden Idols
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
Christine Hoover is a church planting pastor's wife and mom to three boys. Aside from being an author and blogger (http://www.gracecoversme.com), she has contributed to Desiring God, The Gospel Coalition, Christianity Today, iBelieve, Send Network, and Incourage.
“God allowed the difficulty of church planting to sift me, to bring the issues of my heart to the surface. I realized that if I didn’t address these things, my marriage, my family, and my own heart were in danger. God was refining me, cleaning me out, and teaching me dependence rather than self-reliance. I could continue my attempts at controlling and relying on myself, or I could submit myself in dependence on Him.” 1 likes