Start by marking “Our Twitchy” as Want to Read:
Our Twitchy

Our Twitchy

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"We've always been your mom and pop. And you'll always be our Twitchy!"

"Pop," said Twitchy, "why don't you and Mom hop like I do?"

Twitchy and his parents live in a burrow and munch on carrots, just like any bunny family. But when Twitchy wonders why he doesn't look like his parents, the answer surprises him. How can the three of them truly be a family if they're not really
Published October 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published April 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Our Twitchy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Twitchy

Lisa
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have an adopted child who is having identity problems, take a look at this book. It's a sweet story and handles the problem of an adopted child not looking like his adoptive parents very well.
Ms. Jeane
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet book about adoption, also, and I know not everyone will think this, but at the heart it's about multicultural adoption as well. I think because Twitchy is a different animal (doesn't look like his parents) doesn't mean they don't love him and he loves them.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a great way to introduce the idea of adoption to a child!
Ashley
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Our Twitchy / Gray, Kes. McQuillan, Mary (ill.)/ 2003

Genre: Fiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
A little bunny named Twitchy realizes that he doesn’t look anything like his parents, a horse and a cow, and wonders how they can be a family. His parents have an honest, gentle conversation, in which they explain how they happily took over the special responsibility of loving and caring for Twitchy when his Bunnymom and Bunnypop could not. Initially hurt
Karen
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I thought it had the perfect recipe for telling a story about adoption. Twitchy is a fun-loving, adorable young bunny. One day, he realizes his mom and dad don't really hop like he does. It's time for his parents to tell him -- they're not his real bunnymom and bunnypop. They're actually a cow and a horse. At first, Twitchy sees nothing but how they all have the same kind brown eyes, but eventually he realizes they're different species and he gets upset and runs off. His paren ...more
Timi
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this incredibly charming children's book years ago when I was a bookseller at Barnes & Noble and saw it on the kids' new book display. The illustrations are so colorful and in such a large format, and yet there are tiny details to enthrall any reader young or old, such as the very funny troop of ants who appear occasionally throughout the book.

But this is not just a pretty book. It carries an important message that applies directly to human interracial adoptions and essentially any
Jessica Jackson
Our Twitchy, by Kes Gray and Mary McQuillan, is a fiction picture book starring field animals. Twitchy is a young rabbit who finds out that his mom, a cow, and his dad, a horse, are not his birth-parents. Twitchy has a hard time accepting this revelation, but in the end he realizes that the family that loves and cares for him is more important than his birth family. Our Twitchy provides a different view of adoption than many texts I have read on the subject. It encounters feelings felt when a ch ...more
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very touching story about Little twitchy who finds out his mum and dad aren't bunnies like him. They're a cow and a horse. Once he realizes that, he cries and runs away . They look for him everywhere and ask every animal till they find a very miserable strange creature looking half cowy half horsey. Lil bunny promises them to change and become either a cow or a horse but Bunny's mum and dad say they love him just the way he is.

I loved the lines in the paintings! Wonderfully bright illustration
Traci Bold
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Twitchy is adopted and not at all like his parents which he does not realize until they fill him in one day.

Twitchy does not know what this means and as he is not curious about his biological parents, his Mom and dad are worried when Twitchy takes off.

A heartfelt picture book about adoption in a gentle text and illustrations. A great book showing it does not matter what you look like but that you are loved as it should be.

Written by Kes Gray, illustrated by Mary McQuillan and published by Henry
Scottsdale Public Library
Readers will fall in love with this heartwarming tale of love and family. Twitchy is a young bunny, living happily with his parents . . . who turn out to be a cow and a horse. When his own parents did not have the means to take care of him, they gave him to new parents who would be able to love him. This story fearlessly and poignantly deals with the issues of adoption, but more importantly, it points out its boundless rewards of love and acceptance. - Karen
Lisa
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Twitchy is a sweet bunny who doesn't know he is adopted. The loving Mama Cow and Daddy Horse who have raised him explain why they all look so different but when Twitchy sees the differences in the River's reflection he runs away. The end result has family members working together to respect their differences. It is a short story with a lasting message.
Laura Fortune
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most perfect story to explain adoption to children. Adorable, funny, heartbreaking then heartwarming, this is definitely one of my favourite picture books of all time. The illustrations perfectly capture Twitchy's struggle to understand his circumstances, and the happy ending is simply beautiful.
Patricia
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Great book for children ages 4-7. Story of rabbit that comes to realize that he doesn't look like his adoptive parents and tries to change his appearance. His parents reassure him that parents and children don't have to look alike to be a family.
Jennifer Sessions
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book about adoption. It is hard not to get choked up as you read it to your adopted kids.
Kristy McRae
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A cute story that has a sweet message about families, and how families are made. A great resource for discussing or explaining adoption to little ones!
Terry
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a sweet story that helps introduce the idea that we are each our own person, and we don't have to "look like" someone else to share love.
Laura Lusk
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of family love. Good pick for families with an adopted child.
Rita
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A very cute story for younger kids about adoption.
Tasha
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adoption, 2015, book, children
This is the best children's adoption story picture book I have seen. The story is lovely.
Tom Franklin
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and clever tail/tale of adoption.
Sep 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very cute and would be a good book for younger children dealing with adoption issues and feelings of not fitting in.
Mary
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it
A sweet story for parents discussing adoption with young kids.
bookworm22
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
Great book about adoption.

The rabbit has adoptive parents that are other animals and he sees that they are different and they talk about it...
Sonia Reppe
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Twitchy finds out that he's adopted.
Diane
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about adoption.
Amy