Start by marking “Wilfred” as Want to Read:

Wilfred

In the tradition of Calvin & Hobbes and Dr. Seuss comes a new story of unlikely friendship.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a humongous and hairy giant named Wilfred. Whenever people saw him, they ran away, which made life very lonely for Wilfred. That is, until he found himself in a rather unusual town where one brave little boy saw something
Published March 21st 2013 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Wilfred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilfred

Start your review of Wilfred
La Coccinelle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Another winner from Ryan T. Higgins!

This is actually his debut, but it's just as fun and sweet as some of his later books. There's a big hairy giant named Wilfred who's kind of lonely. There's a town full of people who have no hair. When Wilfred tries to make friends, only one little bald boy sticks around. Wilfred does pretty much whatever the boy asks him to do, and they have some fun, with Wilfred promising to come back so they can play some more.

But the rest of the bald townspeople want hair
Maxwell Rae
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh my so sad. What is with these sad stories :’-(
Rebecca Gomez
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awww. I mean, what else can I say?
Brie
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and adorable easy fiction book.

If it doesn't make you tear up, you're pretty much dead inside.

Oh, and there's an important moral to be learned from the story, but who cares.
emyrose8
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Kinda weird, but kinda cute at the same time.
Lea
What a strange and lovely story. A good addition to a unit on friendship.
Melanie
Wilfred the hairy giant would like a friend to play with. The only other people around are the bald villagers in a nearby town. So one day he tries to join the children in the neighboring village in a game. But all of the children run away; except one. One little boy finds that having Wilfred as a friend is fun.

But the other townspeople have other ideas. They would like hair on their heads. So when Wilfred comes back to play the townspeople tell him that only small hairy beasts are allowed.
Sandy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story of friendship and I immediately fell in love with Wilfred. Wilfred is a huge, hairy giant who is lonely. He wants to have friends so he travels until he comes upon a village with individuals who are hairless. Noticing some children playing, he runs over to them as he wants to play with them but ahhh.... they all run away from big, hairy Wilfred, all of them except for one small boy. This boy tells Wilfred different things to do and Wilfred obeys him. They have the best time ...more
Theresa
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

by Ryan T. Higgins

Wilfred is a hairy giant in a world of people who are hairless. He learns the meaning of friendship with a young boy. The young boy learns the sacrifices that friends are able to give. The story was fought over by the third graders as they read their individual books. The story is a cute way to teach acceptance and friendship. The characters are cute and adorable and the drawings is perfect for young learners. This is a great teaching book.
Camille Rickis
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming tale of friendship and loyalty that all ages can enjoy. With lovable characters and a plot to cause giggles and "awww"s, Higgins has created a that will warm your heart and teach morals such as bravery, friendliness, truthfulness, and forgiveness. The illustrations in this picture book are colorful and fun to look at, and the facial expressions in the characters as well as the wat text and illustration are blended together add a whole other level on top of the text.
Angela
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
My preschooler liked the book. I didn’t care for some of the messages. Wilfred wants to make a friend so badly that he simply does anything the child tells him to do. He then gives up something important about his identity (his hair) to some cruel townspeople to gain superficial acceptance, which backfired. The ending was ok, but I didn’t care for the overall vibe of the book.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very hairy, kind-hearted giant is taken advantage of by some bald villagers. He just wanted to have a friend, but let it go to far. Luckily, the villagers realize their selfishness and in the end the giant gets his hair and his friends.

Good illustrations.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Usually you laugh your butt off reading a Ryan T. Higgins picture book, but this one was different. It was touching, sweet, and heartfelt. And despite the fact it was lacking his signature humor, it was still great all same <3
Camille Ryckman
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A quirky story about a big furry giant, Wilfred, who encounters a village of bald people. Wilfred is treated unfairly, but fortunately he also has made a true friend. This is an evocative friendship story about trust, acceptance, and fairness.
Jim Sibigtroth
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don’t judge people (or big hairy monsters) by their looks and you might just find a big hairy FRIEND.
Pug
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked Wilfred (a sweet, cute, loving monster), but hated all the selfish bald townspeople.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A strange story about a giant who lives a community full of people who are bald.
Jen
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a sweet tale of friendship! I'll be sharing this one with my younger readers this week.
John of Canada
Wilfred ,the giving monster.Ryan T Higgins is great.
Raven Black
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute little story about friendship and what it means. This wasn't a OMG THE BEST BOOK EVER. But also not the worse. A cozy in between. The people reminded me of Gris Grimly to a point.
Cheryl
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird, but sweet. Appealing, and also sorta ugly. I gotta admit, though, comparing it to Calvin & Hobbes seems to me to be a stretch. And to Dr. Seuss, more of one.
Amy Balaich
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It has a cute message about friendship and being kind to others who look different from us.
Julie Kim
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The story of how Wilfred got his zipper; also a great winter story.
Paige Smith
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wilfred is a must read for all ages! It tells the wonderful story about love, life, and friendship. Such a sensational book that will really play with you emotions. The content of the book is very truthful and has good morals within it. This is a book that every classroom should have.
Annburnett
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skylar
Enjoyed the book. Everyone caring for each other in the end.
Sasha
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top, children-s, 2018, lurv
I'm a big mushy mush after this book. SO CUTE
Emily Roberts
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is a bit sad! But also cute, so...4 stars.
Loyal
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skylars-shelf
An adorable book, I loved reading this with my niece, a sweet giant wants to make a friend.
Kathryn

• Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep
  • Love Monster
  • Adventures with Barefoot Critters
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Rex Wrecks It!
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • A Perfect Day
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Nobody Likes a Goblin
  • Dude!
  • Mulan's Lunar New Year
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?