Start by marking “Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball” as Want to Read:
Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball

Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
For every kid who has ever had trouble sharing a special toy.
Peanut has a new ball and her big sister, Fifi, wants to play with it. Peanut doesn't want to share, so Fifi tries to entice her with the many different imaginary games they could play with the ball--they could tell fortunes, or have a bakery, or let a seal balance the ball on its nose! Peanut is NOT convinced,
Published April 18th 2013 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball

Tasha
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Peanut had a brand new ball. It was blue and special. But Fifi wanted to play with the ball too. She tried grabbing it away from Peanut, and she tried being polite and asking “Please.” But Peanut would not share it. Then Fifi got creative and started coming up with ideas of how they could play with the ball. It could wear a hat. It could be a crystal ball and Fifi could tell fortunes. It could be bread dough and Fifi could be a chef. This book about sharing as siblings ends with a believable twi ...more
Tara
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-funny
This one made me smile! Cute illustrations, simple text and lots of imagination. Peanut is being a little selfish, uh, protective, of her special ball and Fifi really wants to play. I like how Fifi comes up with different uses to make the ball even more exciting and I also like how Peanut gives her the "whatever" face. Right before the end a comment from Fifi made me say, "I know it doesn't end like this!" And, to my surprise, it didn't! Great for read aloud.
Angela
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exceptional illustrations make this story of sharing and imagination and stand-out in 2013 picture books.

If I was to get a tattoo I'd ask Paul Schmid to draw it. He's a gem.

Especially recommended for children with Asian-American features looking to see themselves rendered artistically and lovely in an everyday setting.

Jen
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
odd ending. I like the imaginative ways that FiFi tries to get to play with the ball. Wonderful stylized pictures and neat font.
Kelly
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The simplicity in the illustrations accent the story.
The Library Lady
I was ho-humming until I read the back jacket flap and learned that the illustrator got a "Maurice Sendak Fellowship" and spent a month working with him on this book.

On THIS book? He got to work a month with Maurice Sendak, as in Where the Wild Things Are. As in In the Night Kitchen.As in Nutshell Library, with "Chicken Soup With Rice" and "Pierre".

He got to work with Sendak, one of the greatest children's picture book authors/illustrators ever and THIS is what came out of it?

This went from "med
Shelli
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Peanut is excited about her new shinny blue ball. Her sister, Fifi, desperately wants to play with it too. As with any child, Peanut is unwilling to share her newest possession. Fifi attempts again and again to change Peanuts mind and allow them both to play a game with the ball. I loved all the many uses of for the ball Fifi came up with, super creative! It's not just a ball.... its a crystal ball.

Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball is a wonderful read-aloud with bold bright illustrations that kids wil
Mary
This is the story of two sisters—one of them gets a new ball and doesn’t want to share it. The other tries everything to get her to share, but nothing works. Finally, the older sister loses interest and finds other things to do. The younger one then decides that they can play with the ball together, but the older one isn’t interested…until the younger suggests that the ball can be a planet! And they all live happily ever after…for now. The pictures are cute and the characters are really likable. ...more
Alice
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Why do people waste their time writing and illustrating such boring books....okay someones boring is another man's AMAZING, however, I don't see any amazing in this book. It is about a ball and a girl who won't share and a sister who has a wild imagination and uses it to try and get her sister to let her play with he ball. Hum....The pictures are dull colors, the characters have a Hello Kitty feel (with some sort of antenna or pig tails?) and I could draw the stick figures. I guess the book is a ...more
Samantha
A book about siblings who are struggling over sharing a new ball. Fifi, the older sister, tries to entice Peanut, the younger sister, to share by dreaming up all of these wonderfully imaginative games.

The ending was odd. By the time Peanut is ready to share there's some brief uncertainty about whether Fifi will let her join in on the fun.

Art was rendered digitally and does a great job of expressing the various subtle emotions of the two girls using simple features.

Rachael
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Simple illustrations, a storyline that kids can relate to, and the message encourages children to share their toy, which parents will approve of. Not bad, not bad at all. I enjoy that the children are not overly mean to each other, which I believe is common in similar stories that attempt to get across the same message. A good choice for parents whose children are having trouble sharing.
Linda
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, children
I loved the simple art and the colors the artist used. The story made me think of me and my little sister. :)

Buy this title at Powells Books.
Naomi Blackburn
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Baby sister doesn't want to share with older sister who uses many different tactics to play with Peanut's ball, but what happens when Fifi finds something more interesting. A very simple read with simple illustrations to compliment the story.
Elaine
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great story about whether to share or not. The story was written in a way the young children were able to understand during storytime. I enjoyed the simple and clean illustrations which also followed the story very well.
Maddypictures
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quirky and funny, this short little tongue-in-cheek story about sharing reminded me a lot of Lane Smith's Happy Hocky Family. Schmid worked under advisement of Maurice Sendak producing a slightly retro midcentury look in the digital art with heavy lines.
Danica Midlil
Really liked this one.
Phoebe
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
These simple-illustration/complicated-concept books are such gems. Peanut and Fifi has a surprise ending. Watch out! :^)
Bethe
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
True feel with the sisters squabbling over a new toy, Fifi going to great lengths to convince Peanut to share. Lots of white space really make the blue and orange colors pop.
Tracie
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Important lessons about imagination and sharing come together in this charming story about two sisters who want to play with the same toy.
Paula
Squabbling over a toy ball, two sisters ultimately learn that playing together is even more fun.
Librariansteph
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some form of this exchange between siblings gets played out in my house every single day.
Kira McGann
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I had a ball reading about peanut and fifi.
George
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, I fell for the "end". I shot a "What!?" look at the little boy reading this to me. Those with siblings will especially appreciate this book.
Peacegal
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A book about imagination and sharing. Cute, but I wish the girls wouldn't have conjured up a trained seal they planned to take to the circus.
Colleen
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Themes: sharing, imagination
The Book Box
Jun 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this book to me while I ate breakfast this morning. I loved the blue ball. Mama loved the imagination that Fifi put into coming up with situations for the ball.
Kelsey
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: family-siblings
Age: 2 years-Kindergarten
Sibling: Older sister, younger brother

A fun interpretation of imagination between an older sister, a younger brother, and his ball.
Lindsay
A great book about sharing. It has beautiful illustrations and an entertaining story - a nice change of pace for books with a moral.
Jes
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this book to my nieces when they were visiting. It ended horribly! You can't end on a sad kid!
Kimberly
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
An absolutely perfect story about sharing (and about how big sisters always manage to get what they want!) and having fun while doing it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Phoebe and Digger
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • The Things I Can Do
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Nurse Clementine
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Sing
  • Back to Front and Upside Down
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps
  • Niño Wrestles the World